Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Morpheus posted:

You sure it was an SNES game? Sounds like Startropics for the NES.

Yep that was it. I could have sworn it had 16 bit graphics, but hell if I remember. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Recoil?
E: aghhhh no it's something else, maybe Ricochet?(not the valve one) this is bugging me now since I own it and it's back home on the third shelf of a bookcase and I know exactly where it is

E2: found it, I think: Redline. Game was half FPS, half combat driving, and you had a whirling blade melee weapon that would let you glide around that I never understood until I was forced to use it on the last boss, who I probably ran out of ammo for

Huh, I dunno if it's that game or not, my memory is shoddy as hell.

Oh well, I think it's this one at least. :)

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
A buddy of mine is trying to remember which game he saw a review for.

"There is some epic boss battle at the end. Tons of spiritual magic type warfare. Two humanoids fighting. Once you kill the antagonist, the credits roll. But halfway through the credits, the boss comes back to life and you have to fight them in their final form."

"If I remember right (which I dont think I do) it was like God of War mixed with FF13 gameplay. Stat bars and all that poo poo, but alot of button mashing and complexity."

He saw the video within the last year.

Any ideas?

Aafter fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 31, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That might be Bayonetta?

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
That's totally it. I don't know how I wasn't able to guess it. I've played through and beaten it a few times.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Cleaning out old boxes of crap, I came across a shitload of PC Gamer and CGW discs. They reminded me of three games that I played, really enjoyed, and then promptly lost them in a move.

One was a pixely point and click game. Something about numbers. You could pick two out of 10-12, I think, characters to solve the game's puzzle. Something about a chair and virtual reality. The sole thing to narrow it down that I remember was one of the early puzzles of the game was getting into a locked building. A convenience store, I think. After playing through the game normally and beating this puzzle by picking the lock, I started again and picked a vampire who was apparently on the good guy team, and he beats that puzzle by just turning into mist and going through/under the door. It was never quite clear. The full game was on a PC Gamer disc.

The second was a space planet sim thing where I traded all my ships for gigantic amounts of squids who were weak but cheap to produce. The icon was a planet with a cowboy hat on it and it went "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW" when I started it up.

The third is the hardest to describe, it was a business-plant-simulator thing. I remember being able to buy chunks of kinds of conveyor belt to make my manufacturing process better, buy better and bigger machines, and the goal was to have the most splendid profitable factory of them all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lyrai posted:

One was a pixely point and click game. Something about numbers. You could pick two out of 10-12, I think, characters to solve the game's puzzle. Something about a chair and virtual reality. The sole thing to narrow it down that I remember was one of the early puzzles of the game was getting into a locked building. A convenience store, I think. After playing through the game normally and beating this puzzle by picking the lock, I started again and picked a vampire who was apparently on the good guy team, and he beats that puzzle by just turning into mist and going through/under the door. It was never quite clear. The full game was on a PC Gamer disc.

Bureau 13. That was a weird game!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Lyrai posted:

The second was a space planet sim thing where I traded all my ships for gigantic amounts of squids who were weak but cheap to produce. The icon was a planet with a cowboy hat on it and it went "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW" when I started it up.

Spaceward Ho!? I have to admit I only suggest that because of the hat thing. I've never played it so don't know what the gameplay is like.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Both Bureau 13 and Spaceward Ho! are the games! Yessssssssssssssssssss.

And on a whim, I googled "Business Simulator Demo Conveyor Belt Game" and got the third game I was after: Free Enterpri$e

I did not expect that to work. :dance:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Something I remember from when I was young, maybe 1994 or 1995. A PC RPG with an isometric viewpoint. If you removed all your character's items their on-screen avatar would be naked, which I found hilarious. There are other characters who you can speak to in the dungeon. There is one point where you open a door, and if you do not have a mirror shield or something, You will get a text box telling you that Medusa has turned you to stone.

Not much to go on, I know.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I remember this old sidescrolling game, from when I was really young, where you flew a plane in a setting with dinosaurs and cavemen. I played it at an arcade but it might exist in other forms too. If you went too low, the cavemen would grab your plane and kill you.

I'm not sure if it's even a real memory because the thought of cavemen grabbing your plane mid-flight sounds like fever dream.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Thoughtless posted:

I remember this old sidescrolling game, from when I was really young, where you flew a plane in a setting with dinosaurs and cavemen. I played it at an arcade but it might exist in other forms too. If you went too low, the cavemen would grab your plane and kill you.

I'm not sure if it's even a real memory because the thought of cavemen grabbing your plane mid-flight sounds like fever dream.

That would be the Neo Geo's Prehistoric Isle in 1930. It does indeed sound like a fever dream, as I thought a few years ago when I first heard of it. It might still be on GameTap, too.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just saw this posted in the GBS thread about the OJ trial:

Thulsa Doom posted:

I was in seventh grade. I remember when they read the verdict. For some reason, it was broadcast over the PA system in the school. Everyone cheered when he was found not guilty. I also remember there was this awesome game in the computer lab where you controlled fish but I never got to be a shark because I was bad at video games and my little fish always died.

I think I know what game he's talking about, but I don't know the name of it. I remember the game had a feature where you could custom build your own fish based on the attributes of speed, agility and stamina. It was for the Mac; don't know if it was ever released for the PC. I thought it might be a Maxis game, but I don't any ocean based games made by them from the mid 90s.

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

M. Propagandalf posted:

Just saw this posted in the GBS thread about the OJ trial:

I think I know what game he's talking about, but I don't know the name of it. I remember the game had a feature where you could custom build your own fish based on the attributes of speed, agility and stamina. It was for the Mac; don't know if it was ever released for the PC. I thought it might be a Maxis game, but I don't any ocean based games made by them from the mid 90s.

Maybe Odell Down Under?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Definitely Odell Down Under—by MECC, pretty much the only edutainment company whose games were so good that you bought them to play at home too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
This reminds me of another ancient animal based computer game. You would choose an animal, and then have to navigate a screen (a grid layout?) with other animals on it. You had to avoid animals that were above you on the food chain, while moving over animals below you on the chain, unless you were on the bottom and then you were just avoiding everything. I don't think the game had any animations. Just your static little pictures moving left to right across the "board."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

This reminds me of another ancient animal based computer game. You would choose an animal, and then have to navigate a screen (a grid layout?) with other animals on it. You had to avoid animals that were above you on the food chain, while moving over animals below you on the chain, unless you were on the bottom and then you were just avoiding everything. I don't think the game had any animations. Just your static little pictures moving left to right across the "board."

http://www.alivesoft.com/animalquest.html

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

M. Propagandalf posted:

Well, there was El-Fish (although apparently Maxis didn't develop, but only published it).

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It was Odell Down Under. Thanks!

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
This one was on a demo disk around 1994. It was a turn based strategy, and each turn was 1 month. You recruited various mundane armies, and you could hold a tournament, and while the tournament was on, you could recruit armies based on the tournament. Like a magic tournament allowed mages to be available. You had to feed your armies, so if you foraged in the wilderness, you'd get a little free food, and foraging in the city would get the army lots of food, but it came from the city's food stores.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Looking for an old Japanese SNES game. It was never released in the west, but there was an English translated ROM. The story was based on Pinocchio, and the game revolved around training a robot to perform different actions and grow stronger. I first found it on the Archnacho/TortillaGodzilla ROM site, which has since died.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Looking for an old Japanese SNES game. It was never released in the west, but there was an English translated ROM. The story was based on Pinocchio, and the game revolved around training a robot to perform different actions and grow stronger. I first found it on the Archnacho/TortillaGodzilla ROM site, which has since died.

Wonder Project J

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Trying to remember a car combat game. It has to be in the Gamecube/PS2 library. I don't remember much about it except that the game had these freeroam arenas you blasted other cars in. I think one of the levels was a city you could drive around and go up buildings. There was also a kind of warehouse level that took place in the night.

I've gone nuts thinking about it before. I'm not entirely convinced I didn't make it up.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
That's kind of vague, so here is a page with a list of vehicular combat games and the year they came out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_combat_game

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

RickDaedalus posted:

Trying to remember a car combat game. It has to be in the Gamecube/PS2 library. I don't remember much about it except that the game had these freeroam arenas you blasted other cars in. I think one of the levels was a city you could drive around and go up buildings. There was also a kind of warehouse level that took place in the night.

I've gone nuts thinking about it before. I'm not entirely convinced I didn't make it up.
One of these, perhaps?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/roadkill
http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/wwe-crush-hour
http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/hardware-online-arena

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

This is a massive long shot but here goes. It was a flight combat game from the 90s on pc. I think it was based in the near future and aliens were invading. You could pilot a fighter, a helicopter thing, a typical saucer ufo and some other ships.

There were levels based over land and at least one on an aircraft carrier sort of deal. I think the enemies came in waves and your weapons upgraded after a certain number of kills. I vaguely remember the cd having neon green writing on it but that could be bullshit.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Vitamins posted:

This is a massive long shot but here goes. It was a flight combat game from the 90s on pc. I think it was based in the near future and aliens were invading. You could pilot a fighter, a helicopter thing, a typical saucer ufo and some other ships.

There were levels based over land and at least one on an aircraft carrier sort of deal. I think the enemies came in waves and your weapons upgraded after a certain number of kills. I vaguely remember the cd having neon green writing on it but that could be bullshit.

That sounds totally like Incoming. It was bundled with so many 3D accelerator cards that I don't know anyone who actually bought it.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

scamtank posted:

That sounds totally like Incoming. It was bundled with so many 3D accelerator cards that I don't know anyone who actually bought it.

Holy poo poo yes that's it! Thanks man!

I think it must have come bundled as I think we got Cyberia with it too off a friend. Never could beat that first turret level in Cyberia :argh:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Browser flash game. You're a girl, and it's a running game like Canabalt set to a chiptune. There's meteors, the music gets really bassy when lasers go off, and there's a dragon at the end. You get to a castle at the end.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

Browser flash game. You're a girl, and it's a running game like Canabalt set to a chiptune. There's meteors, the music gets really bassy when lasers go off, and there's a dragon at the end. You get to a castle at the end.

Here you go, Stalwart.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What RPG was it (almost certainly PS1/PS2 era) where a party member would go berserk if another party member they were close to fell in combat?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Minsc in Baldur's Gate went haywire if his "witch" Dynaheir went down.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It's definitely not Baldur's Gate that I'm thinking of, and probably not any PC RPG. I remember this happened with various different character pairings, and I don't recall whether it was based on some sort of relationship system, plot, or what.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I was thinking about a game yesterday for no real reason, but I figure i'll ask here anyway. It's a PC game, squad based futuristic humans VS aliens, I think it was. I remember having a demo and you could customise your squads loadout with jetpacks and such. It might have had a multiplayer mode. Probably released around 1996-2000.

I know that's pretty vague but I remember playing it with my brother when we were young, and I think he got a copy of it for his birthday then sold it or something. I thought it started with an I (something like Incubation or Invasion) but I can't find anything on that.

Uh, it's an isometric POV if that helps.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

Maybe Odell Down Under?

Holy poo poo, thank you! I didn't even realize that I forgot about this game, but I'm pretty sure this is the game that led to huge amounts of my frustration as a small child!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Thievery posted:

I was thinking about a game yesterday for no real reason, but I figure i'll ask here anyway. It's a PC game, squad based futuristic humans VS aliens, I think it was. I remember having a demo and you could customise your squads loadout with jetpacks and such. It might have had a multiplayer mode. Probably released around 1996-2000.

I know that's pretty vague but I remember playing it with my brother when we were young, and I think he got a copy of it for his birthday then sold it or something. I thought it started with an I (something like Incubation or Invasion) but I can't find anything on that.

Uh, it's an isometric POV if that helps.
It's quite possible you did get it right to begin with.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rollersnake posted:

It's definitely not Baldur's Gate that I'm thinking of, and probably not any PC RPG. I remember this happened with various different character pairings, and I don't recall whether it was based on some sort of relationship system, plot, or what.
I'm going to guess Suikoden II which has plot-based character pairing for special attacks but also includes a few pairs where deaths trigger a Berserk status for the living pair member.
Suikoden might include the system but I don't remember any off the top of my head. Suikoden sequels I'm assuming also did but I didn't play any of them as much as II.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Oh wow. Thanks! for googling better than I do

While i'm sure it's going to be terrible and not work at all I might have to look into getting a copy of it.

edit - sweet, it's on GoG! Though, it's under "Battle Isles Platinum Collection" and I would never have known unless I had typed Incubation into the search bar.

Thievery fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 13, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It was definitely the Suikoden games. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zookmotin
Oct 23, 2012
There was an action RPG I played on either the SNES or PS1. I remember early in the game you find a dormant robot hidden underground. At another point in the game the bad guys interrupt a village fair (I think I remember the robot coming out from underground and surfacing at the village fair as well). The graphics and play style were similar to a games like Alundra (like Zelda but with a larger sprite).
I know this is really vague but it's all i can remember.

• Locked thread