Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I've never gotten high scores with my Salarian Engineer, but I pretty much only use him for Platinum matches. ED is specced for radius and armor boost. The point of ED in that context is to set up tech bursts, so the power damage is mostly irrelevant. Most plat matches I run in also have an N7 Demolisher, so my points become theirs since specced arc grenades have a longer DoT effect than ED. My job is to keep a decoy up and contribute to tech bursts. It's a team effort, which is reflected in the total xp score, so I don't care if my personal score is low.

As far as weapons go, I usually run a Pirahna Mk X, which gives me 72 rounds of ammo and 150% cooldowns, which equates to a power recharge that is sub 3 seconds. Last night, we finished Wave 10 objective, got paid and died in 17:59 with no exploits because the decoy kept us out of harm's way.

Nobody I've ever run Platinum with has ever complained about my score, because Primes aren't knocking their dicks into the dirt and they can concentrate on doing their jobs of laying down some hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Psion posted:

This game finally coughed up an N7 Destroyer for me. I know missile launcher is still stupid, but what's the fun way to set up multifrag and devastator mode?
I've had success with this build, though things aren't as clear cut with this class and you might want to tweak a choice or two depending on your weapon loadout and playstyle. The only thing I'd always recommend is picking the Grenade Count evolution for Multi-Frag lvl 6, because carpet bombing rules (it also does more damage if you dump it in the face of an Atlas).

For the loadout pick whatever, but you should probably include the Piranha, since you get +75% total accuracy bonus which transforms it into a killing machine even at medium ranges, and it'd be a shame not to utilize that.

E: Oh yeah and pick gear that gives +grenades. Either Warfighter or Shock Trooper will do fine - the dedicated Grenade Capacity one might be overkill though.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 2, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

TacticalGranny posted:

Nobody I've ever run Platinum with has ever complained about my score, because Primes aren't knocking their dicks into the dirt and they can concentrate on doing their jobs of laying down some hurt.

yeah I'm never going to complain about a good asari Justicar (who tend to score low) or a good salarian Engineer (same) because they make everyone else murderously effective. Tech and/or biotic bursts going off every second is a wonderful thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nothing is wrong with this game's netcode at all.

I want to click on people and give them orders while I'm in invincible flying RTS mode though. It's wave 9 and this is happening to two of us by now.

oh wait what the fu

AAAAAAAHHHHH

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 2, 2012

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Psion posted:

yeah I'm never going to complain about a good asari Justicar (who tend to score low) or a good salarian Engineer (same) because they make everyone else murderously effective. Tech and/or biotic bursts going off every second is a wonderful thing.
AJ is my plat farming class. I got into a match with a Fury, Drell Adept, and Demolisher. Explosions out the wazoo but we wiped on 10 because people seem to think rockets are made of purestrain gold or something and refuse to use them when there's a hack in a room full of bosses :argh:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I want to click on people and give them orders while I'm in invincible flying RTS mode though. It's wave 9 and this is happening to two of us by now.

oh wait what the fu

AAAAAAAHHHHH

I'm the best host ever :allears:

Edit: I have the Black Widow III and the Talon IV. I have seven other ultra-rares up to at least level V. I still don't have a Harrier or Typhoon. :suicide:

Zoran fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 2, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Gatac posted:

That reminds me: is there anyone here with an effective Incinerate-centric build? It's not quite as "SKIP THIS" as Concussive Shot, but on most builds I either skip it or drop three points in it "just in case". Same question for Carnage, I guess. Neither seems very worthwhile.

I don't focus on incinerate, but I do use it pretty heavily on my Human Engineer. 6 in overload, drone, and incinerate, 4 in both passive trees or 5 and 3. Incinerate won't ever really do huge amounts of damage, so I just take radius/burn/+damage against armor and alternate casting it and chain/recharge/shield damage overload to tech burst and keep crowds alternatively stunned or flailing helplessly while burning. I have a phalanx X I use with barrel/ap mods to fire between casts, so as long as attention is kept off of me, there isn't anything I can't either tech down myself or set up for someone else to kill. It doesn't save lives but I would definitely be less versatile without it.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Gatac posted:

That reminds me: is there anyone here with an effective Incinerate-centric build? It's not quite as "SKIP THIS" as Concussive Shot, but on most builds I either skip it or drop three points in it "just in case". Same question for Carnage, I guess. Neither seems very worthwhile.

I don't think there's any good incinerate-centered build because it's not a good skill on your own. It is useful for certain classes, though, like this Human Engineer. Overload is your main utility power and you'll be spamming it all over, but incinerate detonates your tech bursts, sets up your fire explosions, spooks Phantoms so they're dodging instead of killing you, and helps burn down armor.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The only class I've found Carnage useful for is Krogan Soldier, because (a) Fortification is an even worse power (b) you can use incendiary ammo + incendiary nades to trigger hella fire explosions

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Elotana posted:

The only class I've found Carnage useful for is Krogan Soldier, because (a) Fortification is an even worse power (b) you can use incendiary ammo + incendiary nades to trigger hella fire explosions

But Fortification's not bad at all. Krogan soldier works almost as well with a 6/6/6/4/4 build as the sentinel does, though it has less DR. Inferno Grenades are marginally better than Lift Grenades, I think.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Was tired of FBW/G/P farming so decided to host a G/C/P. Had 3 people drop in, highest was about 120, lowest around 30. Figured what the gently caress and started. At first everyone was trying to hold the drop-off area while I went to the room and they all died. After I cleaned up that round they figured out where I was is a good place to be and joined me. We made it to 10 before we wiped with 1 kill target to go. Babby's first Plat farm :3:

Then the next game we wiped on 4 because everyone insisted in running all over the map :psyduck:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Does anyone play Platinum for purposes other than farming? Serious question.

Lately I've been quite fond of pulling something out of my fine selection of sniper rifles and hosting a Silver game on Hydra. It's basically my equivalent of a stress ball.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Mr Dog posted:

For myself, no. You get enough of a taste of legit Plat just during the objective rounds. I may try it someday, but for now Gold's enough of a challenge (if you can ever find a non-farming game of that either without rounding up a few friends).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I went into Platinum and wound up in a Geth/White game with a KroGuard hosting.

He was magnificent. :allears:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Felinoid posted:

For myself, no. You get enough of a taste of legit Plat just during the objective rounds. I may try it someday, but for now Gold's enough of a challenge (if you can ever find a non-farming game of that either without rounding up a few friends).
Search random/cerberus or random/reapers. People don't farm reapers and GCG isn't nearly as ubiquitous as WGG yet.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

Mr Dog posted:

Not any more. I'm a firm believer that on gold you can use pretty much any class build/weapon you like and still contribute to the team if you know what you're doing. On plat not so much. All the usual bullshit gets dialled up to 11 and it becomes a hassle. It was fun playing with friends when it first came out because of the challenge but some classes/powers/guns simply aren't viable so theres a lot less room for experimentation and well, fun.

Never played it properly with pubbies (thank god) but I join random farming games all the time. Its realtively easy and the payout is so good.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is the Justicar one of the acceptable Platinum classes?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

That just happened to me on Vancouver during wave 9 on Gold. Got stuck underneath the buildings somehow, the rest of the team wiped on wave 10 and I could hear them yelling at me to do something, except for one guy who realized that my messed up model had an assault rifle sticking out of its butt and was floating in midair.

Wouldn't have been so annoyed if it hadn't been a waste of so many good consumables and my leaving meant that I didn't get any goddamn credits.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

VJeff posted:

Yes.

I just had a Cerberus trooper stunned from Overload teleport over to a teammate's corpse to execute them.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

That just happened to me on Vancouver during wave 9 on Gold. Got stuck underneath the buildings somehow, the rest of the team wiped on wave 10 and I could hear them yelling at me to do something, except for one guy who realized that my messed up model had an assault rifle sticking out of its butt and was floating in midair.

Wouldn't have been so annoyed if it hadn't been a waste of so many good consumables and myleaving meant that I didn't get any goddamncredits

Why would you leave? If they're all dead, even if you couldn't be killed, wave 10 means a max of 5 minutes wait until payday. Sure, it sucks, but losing credits was the option you chose, not something that was forced upon you.

Edit: vvvv Good call. Since quoted post didn't mention objective status I didn't think of that.

TacticalGranny fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 3, 2012

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If the objective is done but the whole team is dead while you're stuck in revive purgatory, the match never ends. At that point, either you or the host has to leave the match for it to finish.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I play Unknown/Unknown/Platinum, but you should never do that with pubbies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VJeff posted:

The Justicar is one of the strongest Platinum classes because of her tankiness, good dodge move, synergy with other biotics, and warp bubble. She's essential to the tiny room method of farming Glacier.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Finally! :toot:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zoran posted:

I play Unknown/Unknown/Platinum, but you should never do that with pubbies.

Tell us the wonders of Platinum on London and Hydra. :allears:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Paracelsus posted:

Tell us the wonders of Platinum on London and Hydra. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbctF48opUw

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I've done Plantinum/Random/Random with pubbies, and succeeded on Hydra. I was a Justicar, and the other people were a Fury (competent) Shadow (not good, even for Gold, but kept themselves alive after the first few waves and helped with objectives), and a Demolisher (decent, but her weapons were a bit weak). We hid out in the room, and I can't imagine getting through without doing that, unless you're running a 4-Kroguard squad or something.

The Fury and I held the far door, the Demolisher held the corridor. Between Arc Brenades and Reave/Warp Bubble/Dark Channel/Throw (a wonderful combination), the only real problem was Banshees. The room is plenty big enough to manouver around, but that would let in a string of other guys past the Bubble, making them much harder to deal with. We needed a few missiles for Wave 8 and 9

Platinum London is just terrible.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

nwin posted:

What the gently caress is with this game...

Playing a geth gold farming mission, one geth hunter is left and will NOT die...we ran around chasing him for 2 minutes before someone was able to melee him.

When this happened to me what fixed it was running away across the entire map then coming back. Then he died normally.

It could have just been a time based coincidence of course, but this was after we tried multiple missiles, every power available, etc

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Aaaand just went into another gold game where the enemies wouldn't spawn. Is it me or did things get ridiculously buggy after the DLC dropped?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Note to self: London Platinum with a Krogan Sentinel is a bad idea

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elotana posted:

Note to self: London Platinum with a Krogan Sentinel is a bad idea

London Platinum is a thing that has happened and was done.

It will never happen again.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So did you guys make it to wave 10? Would've like to see that if loving Origin hadn't dropped me right as the wave 6 objective finished.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

So did you guys make it to wave 10? Would've like to see that if loving Origin hadn't dropped me right as the wave 6 objective finished.

We actually did, and then immediately ran up and suicided the moment the objective was finished to avoid having the same thing happen. That's a win by my standards.

Absolute bollocks that this is still happening to people so frequently. Zoran disconnected 30 seconds from extraction on Hydra just before that.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 3, 2012

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

We actually did, and then immediately ran up and suicided the moment the objective was finished to avoid having the same thing happen. That's a win by my standards.

Absolute bollocks that this is still happening to people so frequently.

Tell me about it. :(

London is probably the most challenging map in the game, but I like it just for the sheer satisfaction the few times I've beaten it on Platinum.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I really don't mind London Gold with a competent team. 2 on the bridge and 2 at the starting spawn generally works for me against Reapers and Cerberus, but it's more dicey against Geth. Doesn't seem to work too well on Platinum though :suicide:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Two games with missile glitchers today after saying "I never see these guys" earlier. I thought it was a platform-specific glitch or something (or that you were all full of poo poo :v: )

But I thought the glitch was screwing with your Cobra launcher and Striker, but didn't that get fixed? I'm so confused. Bioware :psyduck:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I guess I'm really lucky, I've never seen the missile glitch. The only exploit I've seen in the many many hours I've played the game was one random gold game where suddenly in wave 4 every biotic ability had 0 cooldown. I'm not even sure if this was a hack rather than a bug because it definitely did not work like that for the first three waves, but then all of a sudden my human sentinel can just spam throw and warp with 0s cooldowns. I left after that wave as it certainly seemed awfully dodgy either way.

That said, the sprinting with the object glitch is awesome and I'm going to be very upset if I get banned for using it a couple of times just to amaze pubbies :colbert:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
London Platinum isn't too bad, but the hack objectives in the middle of the map are the worst and ruin the experience.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:pcgaming: N7 Demolisher :pcgaming:

I have appeased the RNG by staying through another whole game of London on gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

So, umm, is the N7 Slayer completely hosed in a bug way or am I just unlucky? The several times I've played him I've always glitched out. The first time I started to float around a little bit, the second time I ended up invisible except for my sword, and the 3rd time I actually ended up floating and falling through the level at rapid rates.

• Locked thread