Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

vacation in merica posted:

Just an FYI, any "research" conducted on supplements isn't legit clinical research and is "conducted" by people paid money by the very companies producing the products. Unless you're roiding the most likely effect from supplements is kidney damage. It's all snake oil.

Beta-Alanine isn't like, superpump 5000 or something though. It's just an amino acid that is used to synthesize carnosine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
The sources actually aren't bad :shobon: Not the normal crap with supplements anyways.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
I just wish it had as cool of a name as NO-XPLODE etc but I'll try it, looks pretty straightforward

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The only good supplements are the one's from pharmaceutical companies, or China, Taiwan, Russia...

And, as posted above, NO Xplode... because nothing is better than making your rear end explode poo poo in a toilet before a race...

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Was trying to get my swole on last night(arms day best day) and this loving skinny dude was tying up the preacher curl pad for like 15 minutes doing 10million sets of 40lb curls and loving with his phone. I was internally raging so hard at him for loving up my routine.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

Was trying to get my swole on last night(arms day best day) and this loving skinny dude was tying up the preacher curl pad for like 15 minutes doing 10million sets of 40lb curls and loving with his phone. I was internally raging so hard at him for loving up my routine.

That's base gym standard. I just assume I'll be waiting for some rear end in a top hat doing curls in the cage.

vains
May 26, 2004

HeyEng posted:

That's base gym standard. I just assume I'll be waiting for some rear end in a top hat doing curls in the cage.

I wanted to tell him "bitch, I got a small asian women to curl. Look at these guns" but I didnt want to be rude.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
We just had an Army division move on base, and along side all of the office buildings and vehicle depots, they built a smaller fitness center on their side of the base. It's only open from 6a-6p on weekdays, but it feels like it's my little secret. I can get there right after work at 4:30ish, and the place is nearly empty. Today at 5pm, when the main gym is packed, there were 9 people in there, including me and my friend. And they even have a squat rack, and a couple of cages that no one uses.

At first I wanted to tell people about this magical place, but then I decided gently caress them, this is my secret place where I can get a workout done in an hour without wasting a second waiting on idiots like ^^^

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm gonna be that guy but im so happy i set a deadlift pr today after just 2 months back in the gym i got 505 :D :D :D :D

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

moker posted:

I'm gonna be that guy but im so happy i set a deadlift pr today after just 2 months back in the gym i got 505 :D :D :D :D

I totally lost my deadlift. Could not lift 275 more than two reps today. Kill me now.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Crazy Mike posted:

I totally lost my deadlift. Could not lift 275 more than two reps today. Kill me now.

Its cool bro i'm pretty civilian fat too so theres that

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

moker posted:

Nice lift dude. I wanna pull ~480 by year's end.

vains
May 26, 2004

moker posted:

bro this is a ~safe space~ to talk about our lifts(cardio is gay), hate on dudes curling in the squat rack and proper supplementation(i.e. which dude to ask for roids).

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just a random thought, but the worst thing I'm finding about minimalist running especially on the internet is the sheer amount of :smug: from the people that do it

Wearing Merrills doesn't make you an enlightened demigod

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

South park and the smugness of hybrid drivers is about the equivalent to runners and minimalists. Although to be fair I've run in five fingers, and I compete in Newton racing flats.. and they are pretty comfortable.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Minimalism, crossfit, NO-XPLODE....

This is why I mostly work out on my own.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I loving hate how dudes will say that they're going to do Crossfit instead of "I'm going to the gym."

loving cult.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Casimir Radon posted:

Minimalism, crossfit, NO-XPLODE....

This is why I mostly work out on my own.

I have the hardest time finding people to work out with. They either never actually want go to the gym or insist on doing some crazy poo poo like crossfit no wait starting strength no wait cardio every day for two hours bro let's just do preacher curls squats are dumb weights make you fat. Shut the gently caress up and just spot for me.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

MurderBot posted:

South park and the smugness of hybrid drivers is about the equivalent to runners and minimalists. Although to be fair I've run in five fingers, and I compete in Newton racing flats.. and they are pretty comfortable.

I wear New Balance Minimus trail shoes for running myself, so I'm not knocking it per se, I've just never felt like I'm somehow some amazing person for wearing shoes with no heel. The SP comparison was also the first thing I thought of as well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dudes don't squat/deadlift cuz the poo poo is hard. Let them have their curls.

vains
May 26, 2004

I was waiting on the pec fly machine in the gym today(lmao what kind of gayby uses machines, right?) while this kid does 7 sets on it. Finally, I ask him "How many more sets?" He responds with a confused look on his face, "Sets?"

vains fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 7, 2012

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think there is a market out there for a gym where acting like a douche instantly gets your membership card ripped up in front of everyone, and you sent out the front door, FOREVER.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Casimir Radon posted:

I think there is a market out there for a gym where acting like a douche instantly gets your membership card ripped up in front of everyone, and you sent out the front door, FOREVER.

Planet fitness tried this but instead yells at you if you grunt or drop weights or clink weights.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Should you have to show your competence before joining? Like a written test or something? Because I would be down.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

gleep glop posted:

Planet fitness tried this but instead yells at you if you grunt or drop weights or clink weights.

I am guilty of this sometimes and I always feel like someone should break a plate glass window over my head when I do it. No one does of course, because it's par for the course for the base gym.

That's why I signed up for the YMCA today :sun:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Work out with power lifters. Most of them are really cool and are happy to spot you.

vains
May 26, 2004

smertrioslol posted:

I am guilty of this sometimes and I always feel like someone should break a plate glass window over my head when I do it. No one does of course, because it's par for the course for the base gym.

That's why I signed up for the YMCA today :sun:

Why is that a big deal? "oh no you made a noise with the weights?? get the gently caress out!"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

Why is that a big deal? "oh no you made a noise with the weights?? get the gently caress out!"

It's such a weird thing that everyone tries to be very polite about weight lifting. Like today my last working set was a 365lb deadlift. There was no way I can pull that for reps without sounding like a massive bowel movement is happening.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

From the talk I've overheard it's all based upon HOW you're doing it. An individual who's incline benching 120lb dumbbells in his hand probably cannot safely drop the weight without a form of injury, and clanking weights is going to happen with individuals doing specific exercises.

But when Joey McWeakQuads gets to the leg extention and is clanking 40 pounds of pure steel grunting his rear end off, it's kind of frowned upon. YMMV I guess. K-State Rec staff doesn't give a gently caress if you're slamming around mean weight, but they get annoyed when you hang clean and press the 10 pound rubber weights and drop it, when it's clear that your body can safely and slowly transfer it back down to the floor.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
I like what I call the leaky tire, when dudes hiss a fuckload and cant just breathe normally

also no poo poo tonight this group of 3 guys were taking off their shirts and taking cell phone pics of each other in the middle of the dumbbell area 0_o

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

moker posted:

I like what I call the leaky tire, when dudes hiss a fuckload and cant just breathe normally

also no poo poo tonight this group of 3 guys were taking off their shirts and taking cell phone pics of each other in the middle of the dumbbell area 0_o

I see both of those things all the time. And dudes doing bicep curls while moving their back like a snake, screaming, and looking around to see if girls are looking.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

moker posted:

My gym has both these people. Although one of the latter is this old Asian dude who lifts twice what most of the bros lift, so I think he's pretty cool. :shobon:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've given up on trying to find a workout partner. No, I don't want to hear about your super new workout you read about in NAVY SEAL QUARTERLY and then spend two hours doing it. I just want to put on my headphones, listen to some thrash metal, do my 30 minute workout, and leave.

vacation in merica
Jul 19, 2012

by T. Mascis
If you only want to lift for 30 minutes you shouldn't have a workout partner anyways. 30 minutes is fine for one person to get like ~5 lifts in depending on how you're breaking up your workouts, but for a good lift with another person you need like an hour and a half.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
How on earth are you guys the "only" people you know that apparently work out "correctly"?

I think someone might want to rethink the who's being :smug:

vains
May 26, 2004

Grampybone posted:

How on earth are you guys the "only" people you know that apparently work out "correctly"?

I think someone might want to rethink the who's being :smug:

I don't think anyone is saying that so...?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

vacation in merica posted:

If you only want to lift for 30 minutes you shouldn't have a workout partner anyways. 30 minutes is fine for one person to get like ~5 lifts in depending on how you're breaking up your workouts, but for a good lift with another person you need like an hour and a half.

Pretty much this. Till I can clone myself or find someone with similar strength goals, working out with a buddy can be fun and all, but goddamn does it take forever compared to just picking up a thing and putting it down solo.

I'm gonna miss my manlove thursday squat spotter.. :getin:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Hey I do crossfit workouts in NB Minimus shoes. Am I a douche :ohdear:?

I still fuckin love to squat and I hit a PR of 315 and feel like I'm slowly becoming a man as the weight goes up.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I think you become a douche if you say "hey bro you do know that your 5x5 method is completely not functional strength buiding and you oughta look into this thing they call :smug: high..intensity :smug: It's kind of a big deal, and you know, we can totally get our WOD on.

Oh uh hey I saw you running in those asics and I wanted to let you know you're setting your feet up for failure because uh... you're not running on minimalist shoes.. Yeah you see you need to go back to the paelolithic times and understand that your body :smug: wants to run on barefeet :smug: Excuse me, I need to tell those people over there the same thing.. It's such a crazy world we live in.

on an unrelated note: Does anyone here compete in cyclocross events? let alone cycle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
As soon as I can find a Trek 820 for under $200 (that's not a kid's size).