Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Wow the game just started running like absolute poo poo for me, like getting kicked offline for bad framerate bad. I have 97 hours in this game I don't know what suddenly made it change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

tractor fanatic posted:

However much they nerfed sorceries it wasn't enough. This game should not be so easy at sl 25.

Sorceries have always been powerful. Vageta311 on Youtube (The Expert Guides to Parrying and such guy) has most of a playthrough at SL3 and he's able to min/max his equipment such that he can beat most of the game with the various low-level Soul Arrows, doing rather sizable damage.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So, can you summon NPCs to help if you get invaded?

When i was hanging around the O&S door looking for summons, i noticed my white crystal deactivating and (since summoning people is a 1/50 chance for me) hauled rear end up to Sunbro's sign. Summoned him and nothing happened. Shortly afterwards, i saw the white fog door across the level disperse without anyone coming.
Waited for a while with Sunbro hanging around and apparently no more invaders came.

Does having summons active shut out invaders? Or maybe it's just NPC summons?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

HenryEx posted:

So, can you summon NPCs to help if you get invaded?

When i was hanging around the O&S door looking for summons, i noticed my white crystal deactivating and (since summoning people is a 1/50 chance for me) hauled rear end up to Sunbro's sign. Summoned him and nothing happened. Shortly afterwards, i saw the white fog door across the level disperse without anyone coming.
Waited for a while with Sunbro hanging around and apparently no more invaders came.

Does having summons active shut out invaders? Or maybe it's just NPC summons?

No, invaders can still invade when you have an NPC summon, and you can summon them when someone invades, as well. What might have skewed it is that there's a 5-10 minute cooldown period where you're safe from invaders. That's what the Dried Finger does, it resets that cooldown instantly when you use it to allow you to act as a host for constant PvP.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Many an invader has died at the hands of Black Iron Tarkus

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Everything dies at the hands of Black Iron Tarkus. :getin:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

No, invaders can still invade when you have an NPC summon, and you can summon them when someone invades, as well. What might have skewed it is that there's a 5-10 minute cooldown period where you're safe from invaders. That's what the Dried Finger does, it resets that cooldown instantly when you use it to allow you to act as a host for constant PvP.

Does that countdown also start after a failed invasion like i experienced? I mean, fog doors go up, crystal deactivated, but no phantom invaded message appears and after a minute the fog doors clear again.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Can you still use the Gravelord miracles even if you're no longer in the covenant? I have enough Eyes of Death to get the second miracle but I don't think there's any way I'm going to get 40 of them to rank up the covenant any more to improve them before I finish the Tomb of the Giants.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yep.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Do note that Gravelord miracles become ten percent weaker if you aren't in the covenant apparently.

Smoke souls everyday

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Thanks for the help guys. I got the Drake Sword... which felt like cheating... so I took it off.

Just cleared the Chapel in Parish with a little bit of luck. The bigass mace knight was a pain until I realized he was literally the slowest thing ever. Firebombs took care of the weird cleric dude and his mass of Hollow buddies.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

sicarius posted:

Thanks for the help guys. I got the Drake Sword... which felt like cheating... so I took it off.

Just cleared the Chapel in Parish with a little bit of luck. The bigass mace knight was a pain until I realized he was literally the slowest thing ever. Firebombs took care of the weird cleric dude and his mass of Hollow buddies.

You are now ready for Dark Souls proper. You did the big thing. You stopped using the Drake Sword. :hfive:

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Unbeknowsnt posted:

You are now ready for Dark Souls proper. You did the big thing. You stopped using the Drake Sword. :hfive:

Shortly after this post - having thinking I accomplished something by clearing out the chapel... I went on the roof. :smith:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

sicarius posted:

Shortly after this post - having thinking I accomplished something by clearing out the chapel... I went on the roof. :smith:

That's what sucks about the drake sword; you are viciously overpowered, and then woefully underpowered shortly thereafter! Summon a sunbro today!

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

areyoucontagious posted:

That's what sucks about the drake sword; you are viciously overpowered, and then woefully underpowered shortly thereafter! Summon a sunbro today!

To my credit I only used it for about 10 minutes. I killed the big armored boar with it, but that fight wasn't all that hard when I realized how I had to actually go about it...

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

sicarius posted:

Like everything else in Dark Souls, keep your shield up, step around back, beat the crap out of it with a nail bat (or your choice of other gizmo).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I just handed the Four Kings their asses and I know I'm overpowered but I've heard that they made that boss easier in some patch? What did they do?

And I really wish I knew what was going on in my game right now. I'm trying to beat Manus but almost every time I spawn and reverse hollowing the fog doors close up like I'm being invaded but then I don't get any message saying I am. What gives?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Yodzilla posted:

So I just handed the Four Kings their asses and I know I'm overpowered but I've heard that they made that boss easier in some patch? What did they do?

And I really wish I knew what was going on in my game right now. I'm trying to beat Manus but almost every time I spawn and reverse hollowing the fog doors close up like I'm being invaded but then I don't get any message saying I am. What gives?

You're being chosen to be invaded, but the invasion is failing and not going through.

E: Use the drake sword if you want, no one cares.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Veev posted:

We will, however, silently (and sometimes not so silently) judge you.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

What is the recommended SL for stuff like Tombs of Giants / Demon Ruins?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Toiwat posted:

gently caress.

Just how loving much did they reduce the drop rate for the Balder Side Sword? I've been farming the knights, with 8 humanity, when I started I had 15k souls.

Now I have 85.000. And still no sword.

:negative:

You have the covetous ring from the same area, I presume?

On an unrelated note, I'm in a pickle. I want to do an evil run this time through and meet Kaathe, but I also want to save Sunbro. I'm in the chaos covenant and have advanced it high enough to open the secret passage, but obviously the secret passage won't open because I haven't handed over the lord vessel. Similarly, as far as I know I only get one chance of joining the Dark Wraiths when I meet Kaathe, which I need to do for an evil run before I turn in the lord vessel. Is there a way for me to have my cake and eat it too?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mindblast posted:

What is the recommended SL for stuff like Tombs of Giants / Demon Ruins?
Those two areas are a bit special because most of the hazards are environmental and not enemies (or enemies who only exist to knock you into environmental hazards), so it's hard to say. I usually do them at 50 or something, I'm not a Dark Souls beginner but I don't consider myself an expert low soul level min-maxer either.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 4, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Orv posted:

We will, however, silently (and sometimes not so silently) judge you.

gently caress that, the Drake Sword is the only thing available to most people that will take down the Gaping Dragon in a reasonable amount of time if they're following the more obvious path of Gargoyles -> Capra Demon -> Gaping Dragon. I ended up switching out my Black Knight Greatsword for it during that fight.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Dude, gently caress invaders when you're trying to do poo poo! I've been attempting S&O at SL1, and some rear end in a top hat invades me miraculously in full havels. I do absolutely no damage, despite having a +15 flame. I just let him kill me, because whatever. :sigh: I just want to proceed, it's already really hard!

Now I'm worried if I go human I'll have this rear end in a top hat invading every time. I'm running out of goddamn humanity!

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Brackhar posted:

You have the covetous ring from the same area, I presume?

On an unrelated note, I'm in a pickle. I want to do an evil run this time through and meet Kaathe, but I also want to save Sunbro. I'm in the chaos covenant and have advanced it high enough to open the secret passage, but obviously the secret passage won't open because I haven't handed over the lord vessel. Similarly, as far as I know I only get one chance of joining the Dark Wraiths when I meet Kaathe, which I need to do for an evil run before I turn in the lord vessel. Is there a way for me to have my cake and eat it too?

You'll have to sacrifice some of the humanity you donated to the Fair Lady and abandon that covenant, though you do keep half when you leave. After you accept the Darkwraith covenant the first time Kaathe just hangs around in the Abyss and you can rejoin whenever you want. In fact, I don't know if you have to join the covenant to make him stay, as long as you place the lord vessel with him I think he stays and you can join the Darkwraiths whenever. Not 100% on that though.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

My first Darkmoon invasion was a success. Do they not get a notification? The guy had his back to me when I got summoned and was fighting something else, I threw a lightning spear at him, in retrospect I should have probably backstabbed him.

I still won though, The guilty pay the price!

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Veev posted:

It's mostly the fact that it took enemies I was having to actually fight and parry and made me kill them in one hit. It's not really that anyone else cares, it's that I care the game became silly easy because of a little secret about chopping off a dragon's tail with 30+ arrows.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
You're better off just upgrading another weapon that you like to +5 at the blacksmith next to the church. If you haven't found him yet, think of the church as a T, with the big slow knight being at the the spot where the top of the T and the vertical line meet. To the right is an exit from the church, exit through that door and keep going straight and you'll find the first Blacksmith.

A +5 weapon is slightly weaker than the Drake Sword (enemies will probably take 2-3 hits depending on the weapon), so you'll still have a decent challenge. You can also then upgrade it beyond +5 later on.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

You're better off just upgrading another weapon that you like to +5 at the blacksmith next to the church. If you haven't found him yet, think of the church as a T, with the big slow knight being at the the spot where the top of the T and the vertical line meet. To the right is an exit from the church, exit through that door and keep going straight and you'll find the first Blacksmith.

A +5 weapon is slightly weaker than the Drake Sword (enemies will probably take 2-3 hits depending on the weapon), so you'll still have a decent challenge. You can also then upgrade it beyond +5 later on.

I was looking for him when I found the roof... I should know better than to check fog doors with 3 flasks.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Just ran into my firs cheater, I was sunbroing for someone in Anor Londo and some terrible phantom who was invincible invaded. Me and the other phantom chain backstabbed him for about 5 minutes before he killed the host, it was pretty funny. Then he throws down a "well what is it". He really showed us!

What a strange breed of loser who thinks that's a fun way to spend their time.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I never encountered any issues with the Gargoyles when I fought them, but I was lucky because I managed to summon a another player AND an NPC Sunbro at the same time to help me. I ended up staying in the back casting Soul Arrow and chugging Estus Flasks when their health was running low. I also feel no shame in using the Drake Sword. :colbert:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

areyoucontagious posted:

Dude, gently caress invaders when you're trying to do poo poo! I've been attempting S&O at SL1, and some rear end in a top hat invades me miraculously in full havels. I do absolutely no damage, despite having a +15 flame. I just let him kill me, because whatever. :sigh: I just want to proceed, it's already really hard!

Now I'm worried if I go human I'll have this rear end in a top hat invading every time. I'm running out of goddamn humanity!

That's an invader with 99 in all stats and infinite HP.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
gently caress the S&O fight. I can't waste pyros taking out the goddamn guardians, and if I let Sunbro tank them he'll be at super low HP for S&O. I can't just bumrush the white fog, because if I do then sunbro won't come with me. Goddamnit, I think I'm done for a bit.

Edit: That wouldn't surprise me. Dude just took my fireballs, and then walked up and hit me twice. Why cheat in this game?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sicarius posted:

It's mostly the fact that it took enemies I was having to actually fight and parry and made me kill them in one hit. It's not really that anyone else cares, it's that I care the game became silly easy because of a little secret about chopping off a dragon's tail with 30+ arrows.

There's a period where the Drake Sword is grossly overpowered, then there's a sudden moment where the thing abruptly becomes almost useless as everything takes a huge jump in defenses and HP and better weapons start to rain down on you like candy. Having used the Drake Sword for the first third of the game, at no time did I feel like it was just the right balance. It's really weird how that worked out.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Shima Honnou posted:

That's an invader with 99 in all stats and infinite HP.

Pro Tip: the hackers are all awful and don't know that falls are still instant kills.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

areyoucontagious posted:

gently caress the S&O fight. I can't waste pyros taking out the goddamn guardians, and if I let Sunbro tank them he'll be at super low HP for S&O. I can't just bumrush the white fog, because if I do then sunbro won't come with me. Goddamnit, I think I'm done for a bit.

Edit: That wouldn't surprise me. Dude just took my fireballs, and then walked up and hit me twice. Why cheat in this game?

If you want to play offline, summon Sunbro after you kill the archers, and just wait. If he dies, quit+reload and summon him again. Try to help him without risking your own health or casts. Eventually the giants will die, then black crystal him, quit+reload again, and summon him fresh for the boss fight.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I highly suggest the halberd as a drake sword substitute. Not that the moveset is similar, but that it is found equally early and has the same stat requirements. Halberd weapons are pretty fun to fight with too, and will likely teach you more about combat than the drake sword.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I came in here looking for help on Ornstein and Smough and everyone else is already talking about it :v:

How do I kill these fucks? I've tried this fight at least 20 times.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Heti posted:

I came in here looking for help on Ornstein and Smough and everyone else is already talking about it :v:

How do I kill these fucks? I've tried this fight at least 20 times.

Hit them with weapons or spells until they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
How do I go into offline mode? Do I need to cut my internet?

• Locked thread