Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Jacobobb posted:

I took the test in Tokyo

Please don't describe security procedures in this forum.

No problem commenting on whether you need to check your phone, etc., but the other stuff should stay out, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007
Edited out.

Jacobobb fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 4, 2012

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Smerdyakov posted:

Just registered to take the exam in Kiev on the 29th of September. Anyone else have experience taking the test at an embassy vs stateside? Specifically, it says not to bring bags, cell phones, watches, etc. to the embassy which kind of implies they don't have storage or it's gonna be a pain somehow. I've heard some horror stories from people applying for visas to the US about having to literally leave their bag in the bushes outside, but... yeah. I'm heading up in the morning and was planning on making it a day trip only. I could theoretically find some ramshackle storage at the train/bus station or leave it with hostel scum, but it would be somewhat out of my way and a big part of my test taking strategy is not being an exhausted zombie or anything other than well-rested and totally relaxed.

Small concern I know, but if there's anything else to be aware of that might be unexpected either about taking it in an embassy or just about the test generally, I'd really appreciate anyone who could share their experience.

I've proctored it 6 times at post. The accommodations will vary slightly from post to post, but the proctor instructions allow examinees to bring in a bottle of water and a jacket or scarf. Technically, all other things (pens, bags, phones, whatever) must be stored away from you during the test, and you can't access them until the end of the test. If you need lady goods during the exam, better keep them in your pocket. Whether you stash that stuff at check in or at the testing room depends on the post.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Business of Ferrets posted:

Please don't describe security procedures in this forum.

No problem commenting on whether you need to check your phone, etc., but the other stuff should stay out, please.

You're right of course, but I love that your avatar fits so perfectly with your post.

I'm getting the idea that it's a mixed bag and that I probably shouldn't bring my bag into it without checking first. I guess I'll just have to give them a call.... :negative:

haggan
Aug 22, 2012

Skandiaavity posted:

Congratulations! We look forward to having you! I'm here until November if you want to meet. I would say you may have the time (or energy), but for orientation, during a lunch? After hours you'll be busy getting to know your classmates and filing out paperwork and doing post research, etc etc. Honestly, I would just wait until October if you'd want to meet, that way you know where you're going, and start to get more involved. But I'll be available in September if you want to meet.

Some other bits:

* Alternatively you can bring coffee. Your class might (probably) chip in for the coffee.

* Most of all, have fun! (and welcome to the FS).

For your car, I think you have to take a taxi or the metro (which is ~2? long blocks from oakwood falls church). The first shuttle is at 0730 and I think that's not enough time to make it to main state. And Parking is like, $20 a day at Main State. if you have a zip car subscription, that might be an alternative. I don't know if there is one available, though.

Some good advice that was just posted a page back was making sure your family is involved with understanding/being prepared for the overseas life where you're posted. I say that as I don't want to assume anything, but if you haven't lived overseas before, it can be a significant difference in quality of living. Your first two posts (which is ~4 years) are somewhat out of your hands/sphere of influence, so stress management for yourself and those that go with you to post is very critical.

A former EFM/LES who switched to OMS in our orientation said being a FS spouse is akin to a 'full time job'. Maybe Closet Nerd can provide some insight from her experiences.

Sorry for the late response, thanks for the reply. Busy days getting ready for the move! Never know how much crap you've got until you try to decide what to store & what to UAB! :/ Luckily, we've only been here a year.

I probably will just wait until Oct. :) Unless I see you around & I'm not zombied out from orientation.

Sound advice regarding family. Me & my wife have been preparing for this for a while. We've both been reading alot & talking about life in the FS. We're mentally prepared for the worst. We've both lived overseas & are familiar with different qualities of life.

Coffee! :) Probably better, so long as its just regular coffee :/ The whole not paid for a month is going to be a bummer!

haggan
Aug 22, 2012

mtreecorner posted:

The FC Oakwood had a shuttle going to main state for the first day last class... so check that first. Overall the shuttles are reliable.

I checked w/FC Oakwood & they confirmed they've got a special shuttle that goes the first day. Thanks for the tip, saved me taxi fare :)

haggan
Aug 22, 2012

haggan posted:

I checked w/FC Oakwood & they confirmed they've got a special shuttle that goes the first day. Thanks for the tip, saved me taxi fare :)

o yah, forgot to add, the shuttle to main state from FC on the first day leaves at 0645 & at 0715 if anyone was wondering.

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011

the_chavi posted:

Very good points! I've seen too many people join because this is their Dream Job without actually considering the family/spouse ramifications. Sounds like you're married to a GSO or someone in FM. ;-)

I just happen to work in an EFM position in FM and I work closely with Housing in GSO.

Skandiaavity posted:

Some good advice that was just posted a page back was making sure your family is involved with understanding/being prepared for the overseas life where you're posted. I say that as I don't want to assume anything, but if you haven't lived overseas before, it can be a significant difference in quality of living. Your first two posts (which is ~4 years) are somewhat out of your hands/sphere of influence, so stress management for yourself and those that go with you to post is very critical.

A former EFM/LES who switched to OMS in our orientation said being a FS spouse is akin to a 'full time job'. Maybe Closet Nerd can provide some insight from her experiences.

I can definitely do that. If your spouse is interested in working, try to get the CLOs information at your post and ask them about forwarding you EFM positions that get sent out. Also ask them to forward the embassy news letter if they don't automatically do so. This will help you learn about post, available staff for hire, etc.

Have your spouse take advantage of any CLO events

As for EFM and children adjustment. During orientation Oakwood Falls Church is great for families and there is always many many children around in every age level. It is not a glamorous place but I know people loved the community feeling and amenities. I believe the shuttles are very good at being on schedule.

Definitely take use of the metro! There is so much free stuff for your family to enjoy in DC, take advantage!

As for going to post, definitely keep your spouse informed about what is going on, take them to the career developers officer meeting to discuss your priorities and wish list for bidding. Be realistic and pray that you have a CDO that listens.

Get your families medical clearance taken care of as soon as possible.

One the best things for me, when going into the foreign service was spousal orientation day and going to the post information library to read about the posts on our bid list. This really helped me get a clear idea about places I dreamt about and others I never fathomed haha.

I think most people and their families going into the foreign service have some form of Travel lust, but remember that if your wife or husband is set on Paris (any other glorified 1st world country you desire), they might have to through Abuja, a separated middle eastern tour, and who knows what else before that comes on the radar.

Please remember that your preference sheet for housing that you will be given from post, is exactly that, your preferences. The housing board does its best to meet these depending on your timing and what is available in the pool. We are all lucky to be give FREE housing.

To sum it all up, this job/lifestyle and each Post is like anything what you make it. You can have a great post or you can have a terrible post. It all depends on attitude.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012
Hello folks!

Just another IMS hopeful that is making the leap from career lurker to actual member. Just wanted to say HI and give you all props for all the good work you do here. This thread is by far the best, most informative and downright enjoyable thing I've come across in regards to FS info on the web.

I applied for the IMS position a few weeks ago and hope to join you in 8 months (pipe dream) to 2 years (horribly depressing reality)!

Thanks and take care!

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
J4state spotted!!!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
So we were hiking Huayna Picchu above Machu Picchu this week and ran into a FSO also hiking up the mountain.

They only allow 400 people a day to do the hike.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Hey, quick query. Would a dual American/Swedish citizenship help or hurt an application?

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

the JJ posted:

Hey, quick query. Would a dual American/Swedish citizenship help or hurt an application?

Neither, really. It might make your security clearance take longer. Depending on if you've lived or worked in Sweden you might be able to leverage that when you're talking about cross cultural stuff.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

the JJ posted:

You may be required to state your willingness to give up your Swedish citizenship (this is not the same as actually giving it up, only that you'll be willing to do so if asked.) And yes, it probably means your clearance will take longer. And yes, the cultural applications of your Swedish "experience" may well help you on the QEP.

In other news, tomorrow is Ethiopian New Year, we get the day off, and we get out early today for traffic. And then I go on R&R next week. Hellz yeah.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A good friend of mine might be finding himself in Uganda doing some foreign aid stuff in a few months, any of you fine gentlemen wouldn't happen to have some contacts to PM me would you?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vasudus posted:

A good friend of mine might be finding himself in Uganda doing some foreign aid stuff in a few months, any of you fine gentlemen wouldn't happen to have some contacts to PM me would you?

I don't have any current contacts in Uganda, but it's a pretty interesting country. is he going to be in Kampala or elsewhere?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

TCD posted:

I don't have any current contacts in Uganda, but it's a pretty interesting country. is he going to be in Kampala or elsewhere?

Not sure, he's doing army civil affairs junk for ~9 months coming up shortly. I'm sure he'll have a point of contact by the time he gets in country (I hope, anyway) but I'm trying to see if I can get him better prepared before that.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Well, never forget, everybody.

(edit: happy new year, Diplomaticus)

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 11, 2012

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

edit: while my day may have been bad, it's been a lot worse for a few of my friends around the world.

TCD fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 12, 2012

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Holy gently caress, vile, pm if you can man.

Edit: :smith:

TCD fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 12, 2012

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Homie S fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 12, 2012

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TCD posted:

edit: while my day may have been bad, it's been a lot worse for a few of my friends around the world.

I just got to the States on leave. I've spoken to the Ops center about what happened in Benghazi, but they aren't releasing names yet. Needless to say, I know the folks out in Benghazi (most are based in/cycled through Tripoli), and this is beyond horrifying...

Digital Ebola
Jun 1, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If someone can pull strings to get a status on Vile Rat, a bunch of Goons will owe you a favor.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

the_chavi posted:

I just got to the States on leave. I've spoken to the Ops center about what happened in Benghazi, but they aren't releasing names yet. Needless to say, I know the folks out in Benghazi (most are based in/cycled through Tripoli), and this is beyond horrifying...

I just got your out of office :(

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Digital Ebola posted:

If someone can pull strings to get a status on Vile Rat, a bunch of Goons will owe you a favor.

Call the Ops center and ask about it. I pushed hard about that an hour or so ago, and got a bit of info, but I can't go into it here until the family of the deceased is notified.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

the_chavi posted:

Call the Ops center and ask about it.

Please don't do this. Intel will come out as necessary over normal state channels, but we don't need to be tying up phone lines.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Chavi, check your gmail.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

the_chavi posted:

Call the Ops center and ask about it. I pushed hard about that an hour or so ago, and got a bit of info, but I can't go into it here until the family of the deceased is notified.

I'm on good terms with two people currently working in Ops. If there's anything you want me to ask in the immediate future, send me a IM/e-mail.

(But like Homie S said, i'm sure details will come out eventually. Those folks are usually busy from a higher-up perspective. Officials say that the embassy was evacuated aside from the few, so I'm sure he's quite allright. )

edit2: Secretary just confirmed an FSO has died. Heart goes out to their family.

edit3: apparently it was caused by Terry Jones's 'satire' film. He is the same pastor who triggered riots in Afghanistan in 2010 by threatening to burn the Koran. I'm all for protecting/upholding the constitution, but seriously, that guy should be tried.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 12, 2012

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Skandiaavity posted:

I'm on good terms with two people currently working in Ops. If there's anything you want me to ask in the immediate future, send me a IM/e-mail.

(But like Homie S said, i'm sure details will come out eventually. Those folks are usually busy from a higher-up perspective. Officials say that the embassy was evacuated aside from the few, so I'm sure he's quite allright. )

edit2: Secretary just confirmed an FSO has died. Heart goes out to their family.

Yeah, it's a little different if you work in the Mission and know everyone there. I spoke to our Desk officer, who's staffing the crisis center right now. We both had a good cry over it.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
No doubt. I can't imagine having that happen on your first tour.

edit: so it was him? I'd like to hope he died saving the others. He was a great guy.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 12, 2012

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Skandiaavity posted:

No doubt. I can't imagine having that happen on your first tour.

Third for me - the week after I got to my first post in Riyadh Embassy Sanaa was carbombed. We have a first-tour person in my office who just got in to Tripoli ten days ago. Oy vey.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Digital Ebola posted:

I'm very sorry.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506424

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

There will almost certainly be a memorial fund for his family established by his coworkers or by our quasi-union AFSA. I'll be sure to share the information here as soon as it's pulled together.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Meanwhile, can you pass some preliminary information along the fsgoons group?

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
I'm beyond horrified. So so sorry.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Oh my god. The poor guy. And his family...

Skandiaavity posted:

edit3: apparently it was caused by Terry Jones's 'satire' film. He is the same pastor who triggered riots in Afghanistan in 2010 by threatening to burn the Koran. I'm all for protecting/upholding the constitution, but seriously, that guy should be tried.

Seriously. How is what he's doing any different from shouting 'fire' in a crowded theater? It's monstrous. I flagged the video to get pulled off of youtube and hopefully they'll do so, but clearly the damage has been done...

R.I.P., Vilerat.

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
Unfortunately from a news article I read which they talked to youtube about pulling the video. They said it was their policy not to respond to a specific video and that they would not pull down a video that complies with site rules, even if it is flagged.

Said rules are they allow videos with violence, as long as it it is not calling people to be violent.

I have not seen the video but I guessing Youtube is stating that they feel though this video is not nice, it isn't calling for people to attack Islam physically. I am not positive on that.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Not the place for a long discussion about it, but it seems to me like it falls under the hate speech portion of the community guidelines, since it is most definitely demeaning to Muslims. But I'm sure some will find ways to champion it, and it won't get pulled down. The same goes for the movie that most other sources are attributing the violence to, the one made by the guy in California and the Egyptian dude actually depicting Mohammed and making him out to be a buffoon.

Reading reports now that it wasn't just Vilerat; 3 other staff members, including the Ambassador himself. Christ.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Obviously you guys can't go into specific detail about the security measures at US embassies around the world, but uhh, were there marines inside the embassy for protection or what? These embassies aren't just relying on local military forces right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Yes, the Ambassador (Stevens) himself died as well. President and Secretary confirmed it.

Marines & Local Security forces were there, but overwhelmed by the # of protestors. In Ambassador Stevens case', he & his envoy were killed by an RPG. (edit: obviously there's more, this is just what I can reveal via public news sources)

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 12, 2012