Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

whatever7 posted:

These youth are so easily manipulated. A lot of them don't realize this is a semi official, government sanctioned protest as far as protest go just like most of past anti Japan rallies. You will never be able to organize an anti-anything else rally in China.

Five minute hate begins in 5...4...3...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ruckby posted:

"That article" is the subject of the sentence. Do I really need to go over things like basic grammar and non-explicit arguments, or are you just throwing out anything you can to avoid accepting certain facts that may hurt your nationalistic feelings?

I have no idea what you are talking about. The point is that you are claiming the article saying something, when it presents very few facts, and addresses very little what the hell you are on about.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Now that the Gu Kailai show trial has concluded, I can only ask: What in the hell were they feeding her inside prison?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ruckby posted:

"That article" is the subject of the sentence.

No, it's the object. The subject of the sentence is a huge gerund noun phrase that lets you avoid mentioning an actor.

The point is that you're creating an argument out of whole cloth at this point. It might have merit on its own but I have no idea why you're trying to connect it to a whiny article about the author's personal complaints.

french lies
Apr 16, 2008
Funny and sort of relevant to the article we've been discussing over the last few pages.

Why I'm Leaving China

quote:

I can’t really say for sure what the final straw was. Probably it was a combination of things. Maybe the pollution; the constant food scandals; the oppression of the Tibetan and Uighur minorities; the inexcusable decision to delay Dark Knight Rises in cinemas until August 27. I mean, seriously, what the gently caress? I need to see that movie, now.

And look, this has nothing to do with the fact that the PSB tried to frame me as a drug dealer/ your father is a high-ranking PLA general who hate Americans/ my visa just ran out.

No. It’s just that now happens to be a very fashionable time to be leaving China. This isn’t personal. It’s not you. It’s me.

Well, mostly it’s you.”

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That article makes it sound like you guys have much more literate, considerably less bitter "Leaving [country]" people than we do in Thailand, heh.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/577296-dog-poo-is-the-reason-i-will-leave-this-countryfrom-my-own-dogs/
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/364171-finally-had-enough-reasons-for-leaving-thailand/
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/328023-leaving-thailand-cambodia-lao/
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/549084-why-did-you-decide-to-leave-thailand/

You should be proud of your literate re-expatriates.

EDIT: Yours need 100% more smatterings of words like "methinks" and "me missus" and "fair play to you" and lots more posturing about how the economy will collapse once you leave - also at least one person has to say something noxious like "the women in [country] is fitter anyway!" to close it out.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 21, 2012

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
That article is from a humor/satire site and is fake... not exactly comparable with some angry guy mashing his keyboard after some poop causes him to up and leave.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, I can detect satire.

EDIT: Also, thanks to this podcast for turning me on to the Sinica podcast. Excellent stuff. Among the many topics covered, and many guests brought on, I thoroughly enjoy Jeremy Goldkorn's uncorkable cynicism as the primary recurring feature, he's absolutely hilarious.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 22, 2012

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Also the recent Nikon Gallery/comfort women exhibit bullshit. I have decided to stop buying Nikon equipment personally for a few years. As a photography hobbyist, it's very hard to do but I figure that's the only thing I can do to make a difference.

What was this exhibit about? (Canon is superior anyway)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Rated PG-34 posted:

What was this exhibit about? (Canon is superior anyway)

Ahh, I assume you aren't unaware of the concept of comfort women, which was a program of massive state-sanctioned rape by Imperial Japan, but why this exhibit is controversial.
In which case, it's because Nikkon bowed under popular right-wing pressure to can the whole thing, but was then forced to re-open it after a judicial ruling. Or so I seem to recall.
A thoroughly disgraceful episode, all in all.

Nevermind16
Jun 28, 2012
anyone have any ideas on suicide of a senior editor working for China's Communist Party newspaper

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19365161

In an interview he gave before his death, Xu Huaiqian was quoted as saying: "My pain is I dare to think, but I don't dare to speak out; if I dare to speak out, I don't dare to write it down, and if I dare to write it down, there is no place to publish.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/09/china-car-crash-scandal.html

quote:

BEIJING — Before dawn on March 18, a black Ferrari slammed into a concrete barrier in Beijing, killing the young male driver, badly injuring two young women and setting off yet another episode in the soap opera that has become Chinese politics...

Now, Chinese-language media outside the mainland are reporting that he was the son of Ling Jihua, until recently head of the Communist Party’s general office of the central committee — in effect, chief of staff for President Hu Jintao....

Moreover, a report Monday in the South China Morning Post identifying the driver as Ling Gu, believed to be in his 20s, said the young man was half-naked and one of the women completely naked, suggesting there was sexual activity in the car before the 4 a.m. crash.

The injured women were reported by the newspaper to be students at the Central University of Minorities, one a Tibetan and the other a Uighur.

If a son of a prominent politician driving his Ferrari into a wall while being blown by a Uyghur and a Tibetan doesn't exemplify modern China then I don't know what would.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Forget about the Ferraris. I am more worry about Xi Jingping suddenly cancelled appointment with Hillary, and the Singapore, Russian officials.

Li keqiang met Hilary instead. Populist vs Princelings for real?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

MeinPanzer posted:

If a son of a prominent politician driving his Ferrari into a wall while being blown by a Uyghur and a Tibetan doesn't exemplify modern China then I don't know what would.
Hahaha, perfect.

I heard on Sinica or read somewhere that the dad got demoted or reassigned over this. Assuming that's true - it may not be - in China, when someone's kid does something stupid and dad gets demoted like this, does that permanently limit his opportunities or - in the case of well-liked people viewed to have erred temporarily - is it viewed as a minor setback that one must go off and be quiet for before returning? I've seen it go both ways in Thailand, but we're much more chaotic, frankly. I would assume China's much stricter after making a decision to discipline someone, but I have no idea.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I believe this story actually has Ling Jihua's (the dad)name finally attached as Ling is one of Hu's people, and they'll likely all be eating poo poo as the handover to the new leadership happens. The prince lings are safe as long as the parents are in power. Once the parents are out of favor or control, the kids aren't afforded protection from media and the police.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:frogsiren:Xi Jinping is missing:frogsiren:

This needs to be up there in big lights. According to the NYT all of Xi's meetings have been cancelled on short notice in the last 10 days or so, which is strange because some of them are very high profile. Xi has not been seen in public since September 1st and no explanation has been offered for his absences. Naturally the rumor mill is running riot, but there is still no official word on what is happening.

In an enormous irony, searches for Xi Jinping and posts about his whereabouts are being censored aggressively. How can they censor searches for the freakin' president-elect?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Bo Xilai always gets his.

But seriously, I don't think power handover is still very smooth in China.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

:frogsiren:Xi Jinping is missing:frogsiren:

This needs to be up there in big lights. According to the NYT all of Xi's meetings have been cancelled on short notice in the last 10 days or so, which is strange because some of them are very high profile. Xi has not been seen in public since September 1st and no explanation has been offered for his absences. Naturally the rumor mill is running riot, but there is still no official word on what is happening.

In an enormous irony, searches for Xi Jinping and posts about his whereabouts are being censored aggressively. How can they censor searches for the freakin' president-elect?

Back injury when swimming and boxun doesn't count as actual news. Here's a tip, if the NED is throwing cash at something, it's pretty much bullshit.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Back injury when swimming and boxun doesn't count as actual news. Here's a tip, if the NED is throwing cash at something, it's pretty much bullshit.

So why don't they just come out and say "He hurt his back swimming"?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Vladimir Putin posted:

So why don't they just come out and say "He hurt his back swimming"?

No no no, it's always CIA. They are out to hurt Chinese people's feelings at every opportunity.

Lanzhou is not polluted, it's just running dog air manipulation technology donated by Falun Gong supporters. Etc for example.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Why don't they just go "oh piff, he's fine he hurt his back doing the butterfly, what a champ" then, instead of blocking his name and not responding to inevitable questions.

Still don't think it's anything earth-shattering because the rest of the happy brigade are seemingly going about their usual business unperturbed. Could be a mild heart attack as one 'close source' said to some paper.

Fun story to (try to) follow.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

chird posted:

Why don't they just go "oh piff, he's fine he hurt his back doing the butterfly, what a champ" then, instead of blocking his name and not responding to inevitable questions.

Still don't think it's anything earth-shattering because the rest of the happy brigade are seemingly going about their usual business unperturbed. Could be a mild heart attack as one 'close source' said to some paper.

Fun story to (try to) follow.

I wouldn't miss a meeting with Hillary Clinton or PM of Denmark if I hurt my back. Unless it's a catastrophic injury like I fell off a diving board and broke my back.

I like the heart attack angle. They are probably not certain about his pace of recovery, or if he'll be strong enough to resume his duties at all. So they are not saying anything about it hoping he'll just recover quickly and make it back.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It does look as if it will be the same thing as with various other world leaders who end up "inexplicably" absent until they come back from "a foreign trip" or end up with the hagiography on TV after their heroic, unfortunate demise whilst being treated for a condition.

Meles Zenawi being a recent example and Castro, Umaru Musa Yar'Adua and Hugo Chávez slightly less recent.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
...resting in his dacha.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I prefer to believe he was sent out take control of the diaoyu Island but he has been finished by Neil heywood's brother, James Bond.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Read it on my NY Times app over breakfast yesterday, so I'm not sure where you get the idea that it's not real news.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arglebargle III posted:

Read it on my NY Times app over breakfast yesterday, so I'm not sure where you get the idea that it's not real news.

Originated on Boxun, immediately snapped up by other NED mouthpieces, echoed over to the MSM, then quickly replaced with something else on Boxun. For a site that relies on making up bullshit rumors, when they magically catch and spread like that (especially the retarded ones), it rarely happens on it's own.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So is there anything about what the NYT reported that is factually inaccurate? Has Xi been seen in public since September 1st? Did he attend his meeting with Secretary Clinton and other dignitaries? Has the Chinese government made an official statement?

It's all fine to say that you shouldn't trust rumor mill websites, but here the facts seem out in the open. If you miss diplomatic meetings and don't appear in public, that's very easy to check. I'm sure the conclusions are all rumor at this point but I don't think anyone should dismiss the story because there are rumors surrounding it.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Something obviously happened. If he hurt his back swimming, which is the official government position at this point afaik, they wouldn't be censoring social media websites.

He probably had a heart attack or something and they are waiting to see if he will fully recover before releasing any information.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Arakan posted:

Something obviously happened. If he hurt his back swimming, which is the official government position at this point afaik, they wouldn't be censoring social media websites.

He probably had a heart attack or something and they are waiting to see if he will fully recover before releasing any information.

Don't they censor social media websites as a first knee-jerk reaction to literally everything?

Apropos:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19409187

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Fangz posted:

Don't they censor social media websites as a first knee-jerk reaction to literally everything?

Yep. Well, at this point social media websites censor themselves as a knee-jerk reaction to literally everything, existing in a weird truth-free vacuum with censorship ministries having complete power over you does weird things to companies.

It certainly could be the hurt back thing, though. One particular habit the Communist Party never really outgrew is the excessive secrecy regarding the health of Dear Leader. Xi could stub his toe in the morning and toe, foot, hurt, ouch, and pain would all disappear from weibo.

Or it could be something else, hard to tell. I think the speed at which rumors have taken over the narrative is really telling though, the way the Communist Party maintains a stranglehold on information is really corrosive in the long run. Everyone is so used to be lied to by the government that whatever ridiculous rumor you make up will sound more believable than the official denial.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Clearly censoring everything reduces the spreading of rumors.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is no news because negotiation for the spots of the new standing Poliburo is still under going. It doesn't mean people are being fed lies. Once the member list of the new standing committee is finalized, you will hear it through the unofficial channels.

When the Bo case had a decision, you hear it first from the unofficial report much sooner than the show trails. And we won't hear what's the punishment of Bo Xilai until after the 18th congress.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

whatever7 posted:

There is no news because negotiation for the spots of the new standing Poliburo is still under going. It doesn't mean people are being fed lies. Once the member list of the new standing committee is finalized, you will hear it through the unofficial channels.

What does this have to do with Xi disappearing- do you think he's working on that 24/7, while other members of the Standing Committee are still making their scheduled appearances?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

What does this have to do with Xi disappearing- do you think he's working on that 24/7, while other members of the Standing Committee are still making their scheduled appearances?

Working on what? There is no news of Xi. You can't accuse Xinhua for feeding you fake news when there is no news. Admittedly Xinhua has report plenty of fake news. But I am trying to explain to you the message is subtlety sent through what is not reporting the order of the CCP leaders appear on CCTV.

I am sure the next Sinica podcast will touch on it, since they are all inside baseball foreign correspondents.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

whatever7 posted:

Working on what? There is no news of Xi. You can't accuse Xinhua for feeding you fake news when there is no news. Admittedly Xinhua has report plenty of fake news. But I am trying to explain to you the message is subtlety sent through what is not reporting the order of the CCP leaders appear on CCTV.

That's why I said that it was the effect of long-term corrosion, a history of lying and obfuscation that makes people trust random internet rumors. Pretty sure accusing Xinhua of feeding us fake news over the long term is a reasonably safe charge.

Do you think Xi might not come out as #1? Seems unlikely given that he's already taken most of the posts Hu held prior to his ascent, but I guess it isn't impossible given how weird this last year has been.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

That's why I said that it was the effect of long-term corrosion, a history of lying and obfuscation that makes people trust random internet rumors. Pretty sure accusing Xinhua of feeding us fake news over the long term is a reasonably safe charge.

Do you think Xi might not come out as #1? Seems unlikely given that he's already taken most of the posts Hu held prior to his ascent, but I guess it isn't impossible given how weird this last year has been.

Him not being number one would be a big thing. Given the orderly transitions China is trying to engineer having the heir apparent suddenly moved aside would show that a serious hitch in the process occurred. If that passed without official comment that would just reinforce how opaque the process is and inflame speculations about disturbances and power struggles at the top especially in light of recent events.

That said I still think a medical problem is the most likely reason. That would be fairly routine.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Yeah, exactly. I could buy that maybe some of the lower spots are still being finalized, and maybe the switch down to seven people is still in the running maybe? But Xi's absence having anything to do with his spot as #1 changing seems like a stretch to me.

Yesterday an analyst was telling me the most involved rumor he'd heard, one claiming that a plane that got turned around a week or two ago had something to do with Xi Jinping, and that his spot is now in trouble because of that. He introduced the story as a ridiculously unlikely one though, and simple medical problem that the Party feels compelled to hush up seems way more likely.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

So these are interesting times.

Anyone care to lay odds on what is going to happen in the Daioyu islands. Trade embargo? Attempt to blockade the islands (sailing in circles around a rock)? Piss and hot wind?

Also, who is next in line if Xi isn't going to take the top spot? Pro-PRC Laowai or Bloodnose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Munin posted:

That said I still think a medical problem is the most likely reason. That would be fairly routine.

Still embarrassing as a medical issue taking out the top guy at this inconvenient time would point up one of the obvious problems with autocratic regimes that have no clear succession mechanism.