Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Here's your big crazy Z.O.E. 2 opening but in HD now. Never played it but I feel like I've seen the SD version of this a hundred times. Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
If they fixed the slowdown when there's a shitload of things on screen it'll be incredible.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

NESguerilla posted:

The last 4 or 5 games new I have bought at Gamestop were opened. I grabbed NFS Hot Pursuit recently and the guy could originally only find the disc and offered to sell it to me like that (new). I eventually found the case myself and not only was it beat up and covered in old browning stickers(they are still there. I never got them off) but the loving online code was still in the case. I may as well have grabbed a used copy and took the code since they don't do anything to protect them.

They really need to get into the habit of selling the last copy of a game as used or making dummy cases. I'm surprised it's even legal to sell items that are basically used as new.

That happened with me this weekend when I picked up Tales of Graces F on a while. All kinds of open. Everything was in good shape though, minus their super sticky sticker they seal the game with.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

Here's your big crazy Z.O.E. 2 opening but in HD now. Never played it but I feel like I've seen the SD version of this a hundred times. Can't wait.
Is this coming to Vita like MGS HD did? The VR missions fit a handheld pretty well.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

The gameplay of MGS is always so hit or miss for me. MGS3 would have been the perfect game if the controls weren't so awful. All of my gameplays have been with the pistols because aiming any of the rifles in that game are such a chore. The other thing I would have changed would have been the stalking controls, they should have just been on the control stick.

It's one of those series that you just sort of have to mainline. The controls work, but only if you're dialed in to the mindset. For me, it doesn't take long to slip back in, but then I've spent hours playing the games. Even going from MGS4 where the crawling controls are relative (meaning you push away from the camera to crawl that way) versus the MGS3 version (you push away from the camera while facing it and start crawling bandwards) is hilariously frustrating, but we are talking about games that are certainly less-than-modern.

Eventually, I adjust and it's fine, but I can understand the frustration. What I don't agree with is the implication of the gameplay itself being bad. Once you adjust, it's all really well built around what you're doing, and remember that MGS3 didn't even have a free camera originally; it was all still top-down and with no radar as before to see vision cones.

I'm horribly biased; I think MGS3 is probably the best game of that generation, mostly because of how much it offers, but almost certainly because it expertly hosed with my sense of fundie upbringing patriotism such that it's still the only game that really made me cry, and not because of what was happening on screen but because of that sense of ultimate sacrifice for country above all else. It was such a brilliant move to set Big Boss down the road to eventually make him the guy Snake has to kill (twice!). Sorry for the spoilers if people still haven't played the first two Metal Gear games.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

That happened with me this weekend when I picked up Tales of Graces F on a while. All kinds of open. Everything was in good shape though, minus their super sticky sticker they seal the game with.

So why would you even accept that as "new"? Throw that poo poo back at them and ask for a game as it arrived from the publisher instead of just accepting that what they do is okay. If you were to buy drat near any other product that was sealed before shipping, you'd see a warning that says "if the seal has been tampered with or removed, do not use this product." How are games any different? You paid to get something that was untouched by the retailer except to stock it. Why allow them to sell you something that is by definition no longer new?

I don't know why I get so worked up over something so dumb, but it makes my blood boil that this doesn't just happen often, but that people allow it to happen.

[edit] And just to continue the rant train because I can't seem to shut up about it, I see this as a systematic and frankly evil attempt to blur the line between new and used games. It's a sickening, disgusting practice that literally no other retailer would dare attempt, but because of GameStop's strangle hold on the industry, they can get away with it.

The biggest games publisher in the world at the time saw this re-use of their product as wrong and instead of fighting the very company who was profiting on their product, they opted instead to gently caress over consumers. Neither is right, and I can completely understand people wanting to boycott the companies that implement an online pass. The publishers aren't necessarily the villains here; it's a horrible tactic that does nothing to hurt the people literally re-selling something that doesn't degrade over time for the same price, and still lets the people already ripping off customers make more money by selling point cards or online passes.

No retailer I can think of has ever been this anti-consumer and pro-profit. We've debated the whole used games thing plenty of times, but there's no debate here when it comes to this practice: if you sell a game as new, it needs to be sold NEW; nobody would buy a package of opened ramen with a bunch of scotch tape and stickers on it with the sodium packet stored behind the counter. It's the same goddamn thing. It's also complete horseshit and that company needs to crater so hard we can look down the tunnel to the center of the earth to see what molten iron and nickel look like in a pretty light show as a constant reminder of why something should never exist ever again.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 5, 2012

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

SamBishop posted:

I'm horribly biased; I think MGS3 is probably the best game of that generation, mostly because of how much it offers, but almost certainly because it expertly hosed with my sense of fundie upbringing patriotism such that it's still the only game that really made me cry, and not because of what was happening on screen but because of that sense of ultimate sacrifice for country above all else. It was such a brilliant move to set Big Boss down the road to eventually make him the guy Snake has to kill (twice!). Sorry for the spoilers if people still haven't played the first two Metal Gear games.

So why would you even accept that as "new"? Throw that poo poo back at them and ask for a game as it arrived from the publisher instead of just accepting that what they do is okay. If you were to buy drat near any other product that was sealed before shipping, you'd see a warning that says "if the seal has been tampered with or removed, do not use this product." How are games any different? You paid to get something that was untouched by the retailer except to stock it. Why allow them to sell you something that is by definition no longer new?

I don't know why I get so worked up over something so dumb, but it makes my blood boil that this doesn't just happen often, but that people allow it to happen.

This kind of thing is why I quit even going to Gamestop. I've cancelled transactions at four or five Gamestops for this exact reason. Every time, the cashier would look at me like I'm stupid and condescendingly explain why it was "exactly the same thing as a new copy." Sometimes a manager standing nearby would attempt to bully me into buying it. I just walked out. If other people will accept that poo poo, that's their problem. I won't. And then any time this matter gets brought up on this forum, Gamestop shills seem to come out of the woodworks to defend the practice.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

[edit] I'm just screaming to myself, sorry. I need to go to sleep, I think. I'll go do that, sorry.

Puppies and kittens are the best, and video games are awesome!

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 5, 2012

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Everyone posted:

GAMESTOP :argh:

I have had pretty much the opposite experience with Gamestop. I bought a used MGS4 a few weeks ago. When I mentioned that it didn't have a manual, the manager went and got me a manual. When I passed on a used Dead Island because it didn't come with a case, they had one sent in from the next nearest store (50 miles away).

For new games, I almost always get a sealed one. I don't take the case from the shelves, I just ask for the game at the counter. Most of the time they'll pull it from the sliding case. If they try to give me an open one, I just ask for one with all the pack-ins which usually ends with them giving me a sealed one.

I've been shopping at GS for a long time, and I've learned that they key to service is kind of the same whether you're a customer or an employee. My approach is this:

-Learn the names of the managers and cashiers you deal with most often.

-Take a moment to chat with them if the store isn't busy. Ask their opinions on upcoming releases. Don't talk so long as to be obnoxious.

-If a title's coming out that you know is a day 1 buy, place a pre-order. They LOVE that.

-Fill out the surveys from the receipts.

-Be a Pro member.

I've done these things, and the people at my local GS are almost always willing to help me out and never complain when I come in with returns.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
OR you could just go to any other store and get good service even if they don't know you. I haven't really had problems with Gamestop but telling people that good customer service depends on them is incredibly stupid.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Gamestop is alright if you manage to get some cool people working there,. I used to love the Gamestop in my nearby mall because the manager there was very knowledgeable without being too particularly biased, and wasn't rude if I disagreed with him. He actually got me to try a few GameCube games that I ended up loving that I never would've played otherwise (XIII, Killer7, Tales of Symphonia), so I really enjoyed going there and shooting the poo poo with him. He never talked down to me or anything even though I was in high school.

There was also one of the tiniest girls I've ever seen that worked there who was super friendly. I think I only saw her be rude to a customer once, and that was when they tried to strike up a conversation from beside the line during the Christmas season.

When those two left, it was just a bunch of lazy nerds that would scoff if you hadn't heard of some obscured Japanese game developer and ignore customers to talk about Final Fantasy. Everyone else was just there because it was a job, and wouldn't say anything aside from asking you to put down pre-orders and join their used game club or whatever. I haven't been back for about a year now.

It really does come down to how good your local store is. The company as a whole has some pretty lovely practices sometimes, but a local store may be willing to circumvent them.

titties
May 10, 2012

axleblaze posted:

OR you could just go to any other store and get good service even if they don't know you. I haven't really had problems with Gamestop but telling people that good customer service depends on them is incredibly stupid.

Then put me down as incredibly stupid (see giant red letters), but I don't feel that the idea of being personable and treating people with respect in order to receive the same treatment in turn is in any way unreasonable.

I treat the staff well in any place that I frequent, and it almost always results in receiving good-to-great customer service.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

titties posted:

I've been shopping at GS for a long time, and I've learned that they key to service is kind of the same whether you're a customer or an employee. My approach is this:

-Learn the names of the managers and cashiers you deal with most often.

-Take a moment to chat with them if the store isn't busy. Ask their opinions on upcoming releases. Don't talk so long as to be obnoxious.

-If a title's coming out that you know is a day 1 buy, place a pre-order. They LOVE that.

-Fill out the surveys from the receipts.

-Be a Pro member.

I've done these things, and the people at my local GS are almost always willing to help me out and never complain when I come in with returns.

You don't see anything wrong with having to waste time getting to know the staff, have conversations with them every time you're in there, pre-order, be a pro member and fill out freakin' surveys just to make sure that when you pay the price of a brand new game, you actually get a brand new game?

I'm surprised you don't bring them lunch and do some cleaning while you're there too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think he's saying that you should do all of the above just to get a basic level of competent service, but that greasing the wheels always gets you ahead.

For example, I didn't do any of the above and my gamestop experiences were always pleasant and rewarding, but I'm generally a very friendly person and always take the time to smile and say thank you and generally be very pleasant. Should the employee give me a used game instead of a new one if I don't smile and say thank you? Of course not.

You shouldn't be blowing the post out of proportion over some general (good) advice.

titties
May 10, 2012

EDIT: Also this. Mostly this. ^^^

MUFFlNS posted:

You don't see anything wrong with having to waste time getting to know the staff, have conversations with them every time you're in there, pre-order, be a pro member and fill out freakin' surveys just to make sure that when you pay the price of a brand new game, you actually get a brand new game?

I'm surprised you don't bring them lunch and do some cleaning while you're there too.

I'm a little confused by the vitriol over this. You're saying that even in businesses that you frequent often you don't bother to interact with the staff or to get their opinions on product? That a curt nod and some cash thrust in their direction should earn you the same level of service as someone who treats them like people who are interested in the same hobby that you are?

I'm going to pre-order anyway. I'm going to be a pro member anyway for the extra trade value. I'm going to fill out the surveys anyway to get the sweepstakes entry. But it also makes you a customer that they want to please.

The principals I'm talking about aren't "special effort" in my mind. They bear benefits for me in measurable ways in addition to building cred with a place that I shop at fairly regularly. I don't see how adding another 2 minutes to your shopping trip to chat with another game enthusiast is some kind of huge effort.

titties fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 5, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I don't think he's saying that you should do all of the above just to get a basic level of competent service, but that greasing the wheels always gets you ahead.

For example, I didn't do any of the above and my gamestop experiences were always pleasant and rewarding, but I'm generally a very friendly person and always take the time to smile and say thank you and generally be very pleasant. Should the employee give me a used game instead of a new one if I don't smile and say thank you? Of course not.

You shouldn't be blowing the post out of proportion over some general (good) advice.

Yeah. All I ever do at stores I frequent is not act like an rear end in a top hat and I've pretty much never had a bad experience. These guys are people too and treating them like a person instead of a game/food/whatever dispenser generally just seems like the polite thing to do.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I will say, however, that politeness won't fix the "Opened new" scenario.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SpacePig posted:

No, that's a dumb thing and a genuine beef some people can have with GameStop, and I doubt anyone would say otherwise :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah. All I ever do at stores I frequent is not act like an rear end in a top hat and I've pretty much never had a bad experience. These guys are people too and treating them like a person instead of a game/food/whatever dispenser generally just seems like the polite thing to do.
This has been my experience too, but, I'd still rather take my money and spend it elsewhere. Their business practices remain suspect, even if I've never really been bit by them.

... and besides, Amazon will ship games to your door for free on release day, so hey, there you go. That + making sure you recycle all those boxes pretty much sorts it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shalinor posted:

... and besides, Amazon will ship games to your door for free on release day, so hey, there you go. That + making sure you recycle all those boxes pretty much sorts it.

Not if you're Canadian.

The least evil option in Canada is like... Best Buy. Amazon.ca is garbage.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The thing is most of the things people are complaining about in regards to Gamestop really are things that they should expect no matter what, not things that they should only get once they get to know the staff.

I mean I'm not advocating treating people like dirt or anything but I when I buy a new game, it should be new no matter what. Being polite really solves none of the issues that were brought up against Gamestop, so I don't know why it was being used as an argument to defend. I mean people were talking about being sold used games as new and titties response to that was "well you should just treat the people at your Gamestop better" which to me sounded like "if you want to get something you would expect from any other retailer from Gamestop, you gotta go that extra mile". I'm not saying his advice was bad, but it hardly really addressed what anyone was talking about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shalinor posted:

I thought that was Prime only. I tried to preorder something from them recently and they charged $8 for release-day (well two-day) shipping.

Not that I'm saying support Gamestop mind you.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If it's a popular enough game they'll charge 99 cents for non Prime release day shipping.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

The least evil option in Canada is like... Best Buy. Amazon.ca is garbage.

Best Buy are cool dudes, they provide me with PSN points and don't care a jot that I'm not in the US.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

tooooooo bad posted:

Not sure why there needs to be naked anime girl but whatever I guess.

titties
May 10, 2012

axleblaze posted:

The thing is most of the things people are complaining about in regards to Gamestop really are things that they should expect no matter what, not things that they should only get once they get to know the staff.

I mean I'm not advocating treating people like dirt or anything but I when I buy a new game, it should be new no matter what. Being polite really solves none of the issues that were brought up against Gamestop, so I don't know why it was being used as an argument to defend. I mean people were talking about being sold used games as new and titties response to that was "well you should just treat the people at your Gamestop better" which to me sounded like "if you want to get something you would expect from any other retailer from Gamestop, you gotta go that extra mile". I'm not saying his advice was bad, but it hardly really addressed what anyone was talking about.

Okay, I understand better where you're coming from and I have totally agreed all along that if you want a sealed game you should get a sealed game. I mentioned what has worked for me in that situation:

titties posted:

For new games, I almost always get a sealed one. I don't take the case from the shelves, I just ask for the game at the counter. Most of the time they'll pull it from the sliding case. If they try to give me an open one, I just ask for one with all the pack-ins which usually ends with them giving me a sealed one.

The rest of the stuff about using their rewards programs and placing pre-orders are just things I do to help me stand out as a "Good Customer", and I use that general approach in places that I go to regularly. Those things shouldn't be required for an acceptable level of customer service at any place. I should have been clearer in my wording about the whole thing. I'm not going to post about this anymore.

Let's talk about PS3 games! Let's say I had a few games to trade with a friend. I've just finished multiple Dragon's Dogma playthroughs and I'm a little burnt out on it.

I've got to choose between Amalur and Sleeping Dogs. For those who've played either one, I'd be interested in hearing what you thought were the single most awesome and the single most annoying things about them.

If you've played both, how do they compare in terms of length and content? I'm a huge sucker for unlocking things and getting new gear.

titties fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 5, 2012

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

SpacePig posted:

My favorite gamestop story is the time I bought a "new" copy of phoenix wright that had a fully complete save on it. When I complained about it the guy straight up said they automatically sell uncommon games as new regardless of it's condition.

gently caress gamestop. I only go there when there is literally no other choice.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

titties posted:

I've got to choose between Amalur and Sleeping Dogs. For those who've played either one, I'd be interested in hearing what you thought were the single most awesome and the single most annoying things about them.

If you've played both, how do they compare in terms of length and content? I'm a huge sucker for unlocking things and getting new gear.

Amalur has nothing awesome to it, maybe a few good ideas, but it is, at best, forgettable.

Get Sleeping Dogs.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I enjoyed platting Sleeping Dogs so much that after selling it to a local goon I bought the Xbox version so I can do it all over again.

So yeah, buy Sleeping Dogs.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Find a friend, both of you get a copy of Sleeping Dogs for $30.

Or get Darkstaklers 2 and Sleeping Dogs for yourself. It's a great deal.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

titties posted:

I'm not nearly as critical of Amalur as some people here because I quite enjoyed the combat and the game, while wholly unoriginal, still does some things right. I thought the combat absolutely poo poo all over Skyrim's for example, but in every other department it's not even worthy of being mentioned in the same breath.

Sleeping Dogs is a much, much more enjoyable game overall with a good story and fun characters. Amalur edges it in terms of sheer length/volume of content, but Sleeping Dogs is a much higher quality product in every way.

Alabama Blacksnake
Aug 9, 2005

But it ain't too goddamned beaucoup.

Harlock posted:

Find a friend, both of you get a copy of Sleeping Dogs for $30.

Or get Darkstaklers 2 and Sleeping Dogs for yourself. It's a great deal.

Word of warning to dudes who were stoked for this deal (me): PS3 versions of Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders 2 are both already listed as unavailable online. :(

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I've been playing Sleeping Dogs on PC (high res texture pack yay) and can confirm that it is indeed pretty awesome.

It's got a fairly distinctive environment (Hong Kong), memorable (if a little cartoony) characters, good voice acting, and the combat system is fairly satisfying. Lots of ambient stuff going on if you want to absorb it, and all collectables eventually show up on your map (so its not even a pain to track them all down). It's not over the top like SR:TT, but Wei is still a pretty cool dude. The game is just fun to play.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

HardDisk posted:

Amalur has nothing awesome to it, maybe a few good ideas, but it is, at best, forgettable.

Combat and creature design are pretty good, and the story missions range from average to quite entertaining. Its just a shame it takes so long to get to the interesting part of the story.

I've not played Sleeping dogs, but yes, go for that one

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was watching the new The Last of Us play video, and I am still wondering, why is it assumed any people you run into are hostile? In some parts it even looks like YOU'RE there to kill THEM, and not the other way around.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because you're seeing footage from later the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Because you're seeing footage from later the game.
That doesn't mean anything to me. All I know is I see the main character walk into an area of the game that has people in it and without knowing anything else, he pulls out his gun and starts making plans to kill them all. At one point one of them yells "oh poo poo he has a gun!!"

I mean, is there some story reason that they know that every other person in that town is an enemy? Or is there some twist at the end of the game that YOU were the psycho killer all along?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Batman probably looks like the bad guy if you walk in halfway through too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's a video game, thinking to much about it will always make the story and characters fall completely apart. This is true for all video games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Batman probably looks like the bad guy if you walk in halfway through too.
I must be misunderstanding something because I thought that this game was trying to portray your character as someone who just wants to get out of there alive, and not get out of there with a trail of dead bodies behind them. I think the game looks pretty good but at the same time I don't know what tone it is going for anymore.

I said come in! posted:

It's a video game, thinking to much about it will always make the story and characters fall completely apart. This is true for all video games.
Well, from some parts it looks like they're trying to make a game where killing means something, but if you have to kill everyone you meet anyway, that invalidates that right off the bat.

But yeah, you're right, I guess we have no choice but to think video games will shoot themselves in the foot forever in that regard.

edit: really early on didn't they say there was some system where the people might panic and switch sides and stuff, or otherwise act like people and not murderbots? I haven't seen any of that in videos yet. I dunno, something about this project made me expect something more than we've seen before in games about shooting people.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, from some parts it looks like they're trying to make a game where killing means something, but if you have to kill everyone anyway, that invalidates that right off the bat.

Every video game tries to have "consequences" for your actions, and it ultimately is always meaningless.

• Locked thread