Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Fun fact: the blighted dudes in Blighttown, when they perform a grab attack on you, it looks like they're biting you.

If you look closely at the right angles, you can see that they're actually vomiting blighted blood into your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hey, hey Shima. gently caress you. :smith:

Thought I had gotten past the relative grim and grime of Dark Souls. Apparently not!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I get about an hour a night to play this stupid loving game. I've spent the last four days on S&O. I cannot do this at SL1. It it not possible.

I'm getting one shotted by both. Smough won't do any move except the chase with hammer, and the fucker tracks across the whole level. gently caress this run. I'm going to make a sorc and play loving easy mode.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 6, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Until I can see those eyes in-game they will always be googly eye pukefrogs to me.

In Decrepit Souls or whatever they call it they should have a sequence where you get swallowed by something and have a level in there. I want to see the amount of gross detail they could put in on the next consoles.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Derelict Souls, taking place at sea and on the coast, you get swallowed by a giant fish-like thing and have to violently work your way out, avoiding everything its recently swallowed and its stomach acid.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That... I would play that. A lot.

I would also play Super Souls Galaxies if it was done correctly, so my support may not be a good thing.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shima Honnou posted:

Derelict Souls, taking place at sea and on the coast, you get swallowed by a giant fish-like thing and have to violently work your way out, avoiding everything its recently swallowed and its stomach acid.

This would rule. Also I want to know what kind of awesome dialogue From would write for salty sailors. Praise the sea!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Dead Space-esque death sequences would be pretty rad. Also the same style of scream echoing inside of your helmet.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS
Does anyone around SL60 wanna give me a hand with Nito? I don't actually have any idea if Nito himself is challenging, I just want to make sure he dies so I never have to do this loving level again.

I'm around Patches if there are any takers (GWFL: Weremacht)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Im in. Signing in now. GFWL BaDogKiggles

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Crooked Warden posted:

I just hate the fatroll because the weighty flopping on the ground makes me feel like I should be saying "I'm too old for this poo poo" each time I get up.

Be right back, gonna make a Danny Glover gimmick character

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
re: goofy looking monsters I think the things in Izalith are supposed to be a tribute to old Erol Otus D&D art. The early monster manuals had a bunch of Lovecraft monsters and the way he drew them was very like that:

Yodzilla posted:

Dead Space-esque death sequences would be pretty rad.

Yeah just having the death animation correspond to what killed you would be cool. It's not a big loss though.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
S&O are loving ridiculous. I've been a few attacks away from winning with multiple strategies, but every time I die before I can finish the last one off. And I'm out of humanity, too. gently caress. This. Game.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
So I mentioned earlier that I was interested in getting the Right of Kindling a little early, before Sen's Fortress.

- That moth thing was a loving joke, like you guys said, and is really easy to solo. Having the Crest Shield was perfect for tanking the damage.

- A +5 Divine Balder Side Sword was perfect for taking out Skeletons. Apparently this is one of the best straight swords in the game according to the Wikidot wiki, so I'm gonna hold onto it and maybe turn it into something else later.

- The Catacombs were tricky to navigate, and I did die more than a few times learning the layout. It was also really atmospheric; going down that one hallway with the Prowling Demon just staring at me was incredibly unnerving.

- gently caress those skeletons with the wheels. gently caress them to high hell.

- Pinwheel actually killed me the first time around really fast. I tried hurling a giant fireball at him from the start, but it managed to hit him on an invincibility frame. The rest of the fight was me learning his attacks, and dying. Second time around, I just charged at him 2 handed with my +10 Claymore and whaled on him until he fell. Managed to get the mask that boosts Stamina recovery.

Now I'm gonna run around and upgrade some of the more frequently visited bonfires and max their kindling with the 12 liquid humanity I've got on hand, then do a suicide run into the New Londo Ruins to grab a Fire Keeper Soul. Not sure what to do after that besides run into Sen's Fortress. Any other areas worth exploring before I move on?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It's one of the best because it has decent range and decent Dexterity scaling. So if you're going for a Dex build, it's a good idea to unascend it back to +5 after you're finished with Pinwheel and the necromancers (But it's still a good idea to keep some kind of holy weapon on you for WAAAY later), then work on +15 with it.

As for Pinwhell, well. Weakness: beating to a pulp.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

As for Pinwhell, well. Weakness: beating to a pulp.

All you need for Pinwheel is to not be comatose.

Then you need balm and splints for when you invariably decide to explore the ladder that just showed up. :gonk:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Corbeau posted:

S&O are loving ridiculous. I've been a few attacks away from winning with multiple strategies, but every time I die before I can finish the last one off. And I'm out of humanity, too. gently caress. This. Game.

You can always try placing a message with "Need Humanity". Maybe you'll get lucky and some nice players will + rate it so you can get some. :shobon:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I always + rate those. More people need to rate messages. It's free, jerks. Show some gratitude to the guy who just saved you from that mimic.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I always rate up messages but mine never get rated up. :(

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I think most folks just don't know that you can hit back/select after clicking a message to rate it up without using the orange soapstone.

Also yes, rate messages up, people.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I go out of my way to rate every message I see up, evenespecially funny or deceiving ones.

I also go out of my way to put up funny or deceiving ones. I never get plus rated.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Does getting a message upvoted actually give you a humanity or is that just something players believe because no one has any clue how the multiplayer works?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Did you guys know that highly rated messages get different icons? I didn't until I read the wiki because every loving message is like +5 max, and that's just for "I did it!".

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Did you guys know that highly rated messages get different icons? I didn't until I read the wiki because every loving message is like +5 max, and that's just for "I did it!".

I saw one Praise the Sun message in the Burg with a Solaire icon. Granted that was on the PS3, but even still that's the highest I've ever seen.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

So I was planning to do a thrusting sword dex run but I just found three Balder side swords in the parish so I guess I'm using that now.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Astro Ambulance posted:

So I was planning to do a thrusting sword dex run but I just found three Balder side swords in the parish so I guess I'm using that now.

Unless you intended to use enchantments like Great/Crystal Magic Weapon, Darkmoon Blade, etc, you're better off with the BSS than a thrusting sword anyway.

If you were going to use enchantments, you'd be best off with Ricard's Rapier. If you were going for a backstab/riposte build, you'd be best off with the Rapier unless its boosted crits got fixed along with the Hornet Ring nerf.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Start invading in the depths and I finally get my first hacker, infinite stamina katana. Then I invade again and get a hacker on NG+! Poisoned and he wasn't taking damage. That's gotta take effort, beating the game twice with hacks on.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

The worst submarine posted:

Start invading in the depths and I finally get my first hacker, infinite stamina katana. Then I invade again and get a hacker on NG+! Poisoned and he wasn't taking damage. That's gotta take effort, beating the game twice with hacks on.

You can be invaded by or invade people who are in any game cycle, as long as they are within your invasion bracket. Also works with summons; I'd pay to see the face of the guy summoned into a NG+7 cycle while still on his first run.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

I go out of my way to rate every message I see up, evenespecially funny or deceiving ones.

I also go out of my way to put up funny or deceiving ones. I never get plus rated.

"Try jumping."

And add me to the roster of dudes that rate up messages constantly.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I rate up messages all the time since I found you don't need to switch around to the Guidance Soapstone, yet all of mine are still sitting at 0.

I just got to Anor Londo but honestly I don't feel like doing it right now. I've fallen off too many precarious edges and just kinda lost interest in the level. I kinda feel like sunbroing for others, but I'm not entirely sure what areas a SL43 would get the occasional summon.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The main area for summoning is near the end so you have to get through the harder parts first.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Shima Honnou posted:

Demons are pretty dark.

What's darker than a demon?

Dark.

What's darker than Dark?

Absolute blackness.

Where has a huge abundance of absolute blackness?

SPACE

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Are there any good guides or anything for the extra PC content yet? I have no idea what, where or how it is.

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Demons are pretty dark.

What's darker than a demon?

Dark.

What's darker than Dark?

Absolute blackness.

Where has a huge abundance of absolute blackness?

SPACE

Everything should take place in outer space. Especially real life.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

The main area for summoning is near the end so you have to get through the harder parts first.
Not just Anor Londo but anywhere really. I think I could potentially get some hits right before Quelaag but then I'd have to venture down in to Blighttown and that's a fate worse than Anor Londo.

I was thinking maybe lay down a summon before Iron Golem's fog gate but who really needs help with Iron Golem?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Especially since you have Iron Tarkus. :black101:

You might get some rare summons at the depths but at that SL anor londo really would be your prime location. Which part are you stuck in?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There was a Vita game announced some months ago called Soul Sacrifice. I can't find the logo/typeset it used when it launched but it was obviously designed to resemble the Dark Souls font and logo. They quickly changed it though once everyone found out it was an unrelated game by an unrelated developer. What a jerk thing to do.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Heti posted:

Are there any good guides or anything for the extra PC content yet? I have no idea what, where or how it is.

If you think about it, pretty much all of real life is outer space.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Heti posted:

Here's a quick guide for you.

Rescue Dusk, buy her poo poo if you want it, same with getting her outfit. Now, go to Duke's Archives - yes, you need to place the Lordvessel to get to the DLC. In the first room, right after the first bonfire, you'll find a small crystal golem just sitting there, mostly non-hostile. Kill it without mercy and loot the item.

Now, go back to where Dusk was. Use the portal.

Welcome to the DLC! All 4 of the bonfires in the DLC can be warped to and from, so no worries if you have to leave. The first boss, be sure to go for his tail, it's an amazing weapon. If you fail, you can get another two chances after beating the last boss of the DLC.

Some tips: be sure to explore every nook and cranny. Bring a Sunlight Maggot or Skull Lantern with you, you'll need it eventually for more than one reason. There are 5 wood carvings that make noise when you toss them, you'll want those. There are like 4 or 5 spells, you'll want those too. There's a shield but it's hidden behind a fake wall - when you get to the place that lags (You'll know where; also a great place to farm for humanity), you'll know you're close to said hidden wall.

There's a suit of armor just like the giant stone knights, but it's scattered in individual pieces throughout their area. They also drop their axe. The pitchfork in the same area is also a drop.

Look out for hidden chests, there's a Blue, White, and Regular slab hidden around.

There's one Black Phantom invasion, after Artorias, but the phantom drops nothing. The human version, however, does drop some unique stuff - but he also has some very useful items for sale in a very easy to get to place.

There's also an optional boss, with a pretty good tail drop and an amazing ring. This is also where the Titanite Slab is, so you'll probably want to do it.

There you go, a quick and dirty, and mostly spoiler free, guide to getting to and making use of the DLC.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If you think about it, pretty much all of real life is outer space.
i tried to avoid this response by saying outer space instead of just space.

Edit: thanks for the dlc info sounds cool. Too bad I have to kill biggie and smalls first :(

Heti fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Which part are you stuck in?
Not really stuck. Just fell off the rafters more times than I care to admit, then fell some more the first time I ran into those lance-shooting archers.

Now I'm just sitting on a stockpile of about 100k souls and 9 liquid humanity that I don't know what to spend on but don't want to lose so I'm not really feeling like tightrope walking right now and just want an excuse to dick around. I wandered into the Catacombs and that was a pretty cool place but then almost got my poo poo thoroughly rocked in the Tomb of Giants before homeward-boning out of there. I could try out the Demon Ruins but, again, I'd have to wander through Blighttown and I'm just not up for that-- rather just wait until I get this fabled ability to warp between bonfires.

• Locked thread