Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

UberJumper posted:

Also can anyone explain What happened to Solaire, after talking to him in Anor Londo he basically disappered, and i never saw him again.

What was the deal of Manus, was he the pygmy?

What ever happened to Siegmier i found his daughter, but i never heard from ether of them again

Solaire and Siegmier both have long quests attached, with very specific steps -

Solaire - After Anor Londo, he will be able to help you on Centipede Demon. But before you do this, you have to give 30 humanity to the Chaos Covenant so you can open the shortcut and kill all of the Chaos bugs before you ever enter Lost Izalith. If you don't Solaire dies. if you do - he just gets super depressed instead, and he will be available to help you against Gwyn.

Siegmier - You need to talk to him in Sen's, off the side of the boulder path, and then move the boulder away from the right path so he can escape. Then you have to find him in Anor Londo and kill the three Silver Knights in the room he's outside of. Then he'll end up back at Firelink. You can free his daughter and tell her about where he is. Then he'll end up down in the swamp, and he'll ask for you to give him some purple moss. Then, he'll be in Lost Izalith - the trap area that you fall down. Now... don't talk to him yet! You need to fall down into the bottom and kill all the Chaos Eaters but one ( they will all aggro you except one anyway, if you're running around. You can lead them down the pits very easily. ) Then run up, talk to Siegmier, and he'll say that it's time to help you out for once, and he'll dive in to fight the remaining Chaos Eater. Then you go down too, and kill it before Siegmier ends up at half health, or he'll lay down to die. If you succeed, you can talk to his daughter again in Firelink, and she will thank you. After that, the two of them show up together in Ash Lake, by the right bonfire, and you see a sad sad scene. But you get the second of the two originally available titanite slabs from his daughter.

Big wall of text, but it's complicated!

Also Tomb of Giants has a ton of shortcuts - from the first bonfire, run by where Patches was, and go behind the Archer skeleton. Roll off into the darkness right where there is a body against the edge of the platform, and you'll be able to get the silver serpent's ring, then you can continue to fall on a few more platforms and leave the darkness without fighting any of those dumb beast skeletons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Umberger posted:

Where did you talk to him? You're supposed to talk to him in Sen's, save him from Silver Knights in Anor Londo, talk to him in Firelink which gives you a Miracle, save him in the Blighttown swamp where you get the Pierce Shield, save his daughter, then talk to her in Firelink, then find Siegmeyer in Lost Izalith and kill the four monsters after initiating his dialog but don't let his health get too low (usually people will ranged kill 3 of 4 and then start the event so only one has to die). After all this you can find them both in Ash Lake and you receive a Titanite Slab.

He goes to Blighttown after Anor Londo? No wonder I never saw him after Firelink though I've saved his daughter and spoken to her in Firelink. I didn't see him in Izalith though so I don't know what happened.

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.

Umberger posted:

As for Tomb I'd say it's not that bad once you know the route. Much like Catacombs there are a few places you can drop off to skip a decent chunk of the zone, although if you want to get all of the treasure there it does take a while and that feels a lot slower/more tedious if you don't have a Sunlight Maggot or Cast Light just because of how cautious and slow you have to be (I leave out the Skull Lantern because playing without a shield is worse than not being able to see in my opinion).

:(

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Solaire goes to the warriors of sunlight shrine in the burg/parish area after Anor Londo, you may have to speak to him there to continue his storyline.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm not sure I get parrying. Are there some enemies that just can't be parried? It was working fine in the early game but now I'm getting my rear end kicked every time I try to parry.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'd rather have seigmeyer die because he gives you a :kickinrad: ring

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

superh posted:

Solaire and Siegmier both have long quests attached, with very specific steps -

Solaire - After Anor Londo, he will be able to help you on Centipede Demon. But before you do this, you have to give 30 humanity to the Chaos Covenant so you can open the shortcut and kill all of the Chaos bugs before you ever enter Lost Izalith. If you don't Solaire dies. if you do - he just gets super depressed instead, and he will be available to help you against Gwyn.

Siegmier - You need to talk to him in Sen's, off the side of the boulder path, and then move the boulder away from the right path so he can escape. Then you have to find him in Anor Londo and kill the three Silver Knights in the room he's outside of. Then he'll end up back at Firelink. You can free his daughter and tell her about where he is. Then he'll end up down in the swamp, and he'll ask for you to give him some purple moss. Then, he'll be in Lost Izalith - the trap area that you fall down. Now... don't talk to him yet! You need to fall down into the bottom and kill all the Chaos Eaters but one ( they will all aggro you except one anyway, if you're running around. You can lead them down the pits very easily. ) Then run up, talk to Siegmier, and he'll say that it's time to help you out for once, and he'll dive in to fight the remaining Chaos Eater. Then you go down too, and kill it before Siegmier ends up at half health, or he'll lay down to die. If you succeed, you can talk to his daughter again in Firelink, and she will thank you. After that, the two of them show up together in Ash Lake, by the right bonfire, and you see a sad sad scene. But you get the second of the two originally available titanite slabs from his daughter.

Big wall of text, but it's complicated!

Also Tomb of Giants has a ton of shortcuts - from the first bonfire, run by where Patches was, and go behind the Archer skeleton. Roll off into the darkness right where there is a body against the edge of the platform, and you'll be able to get the silver serpent's ring, then you can continue to fall on a few more platforms and leave the darkness without fighting any of those dumb beast skeletons.

Awesome thanks everyone. That clears it up, maybe in the future i will replay dark souls.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Solaire goes to the warriors of sunlight shrine in the burg/parish area after Anor Londo, you may have to speak to him there to continue his storyline.

You don't, I never talk to him there :( I never sunbro for whatever reason, so I never get over there. (In fact, I didn't even know he went there.)

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not sure I get parrying. Are there some enemies that just can't be parried? It was working fine in the early game but now I'm getting my rear end kicked every time I try to parry.

If they hold weapons, and are the size of a black knight or smaller, they can be parried.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

What kind of build, equip and stats should I aim for if I intend to use the heaviest weapons/shields/armor and some miracles? I played through Demon's Souls and currently Dark Souls using light gear and Dex/Int, so I'm planning my next run to use Strength and Faith in order to mix things up.

Anybody? :(

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I finally became able to 1H wield the Great Dragon King Axe. I know this thing's not the best axe in the game, but it will keep me covered for a while. The animation is quite fast, too. Once I start light attacking, I almost feel like Nero. This, incidentally, gives me an idea for an avatar.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Getting stuck up against the wall fighting the Capra Demon sucks, I've beaten him before but I think my Xbox controller is acting funky, it keeps cutting out in between walk and run. Doubt I can fix it so I guess it's time to buy another one. I do have a couple of wireless ones but I'd need to buy a dongle anyway so meh.

eh: beat him the second time anyway, forgot I had 40 odd firebombs on my person. :D

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 6, 2012

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Out of curiosity, where are people dropping their signs for O&S? I always did it at the last bonfire before the fight and had no problems summoning or getting summoned on PS3, but nothing on PC. I'm level 50 and have never once seen a summon sign in that room.

I'm close to giving up and chalking it up to GFWL being unreliable, but that's my favorite fight in the game. :(

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Out of curiosity, where are people dropping their signs for O&S? I always did it at the last bonfire before the fight and had no problems summoning or getting summoned on PS3, but nothing on PC. I'm level 50 and have never once seen a summon sign in that room.

I'm close to giving up and chalking it up to GFWL being unreliable, but that's my favorite fight in the game. :(

I had plenty of luck last night in that room at SL 55 (the bonfire that Solaire sits at). Even had a few times where there was already someone else in the person's game too.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah I've been summoned from that room a whole bunch, sometimes with a third phantom, at level 50.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't understand why you didn't just answer your own question: strength, faith, and strength/faith weapons. My main character is this and she's using black knight armor and the crescent axe.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

tractor fanatic posted:

If they hold weapons, and are the size of a black knight or smaller, they can be parried.

Oh, for some reason I thought any roughly humanoid sized enemy could be parried :downs:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have a question about damage scaling. Right now I rushed the Zweihander, and am planning on getting my str/dex stats up to that level while also maxing out int (at the cost of vit/end, just because I don't need it as much anymore). My question is this:

Will my 50int sorcerer get more damage out of setup A or B?

A: +15 Zweihander, enchanted with crystal magic weapon and a badass catalyst,

or B: a +5 Enchanted Zweihander?

Alternatively, since it's still early, I thought about going with a dex/int build instead and using ricard's rapier. Same situation, is one setup better than the other?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I drop it by the bonfire, hack my way to where the fog door is, drop it there, return to the bonfire, rest, drop it there, and repeat until I get summoned or get bored and bugger off.

That said, last night I also had a shitload of trouble getting summons. Thankfully, I finally got one by the fog door and he turned out to be awesome enough to help me to victory :woop:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Oh man this game is sweet. I just beat the bell gargoyles with the help of some jolly cooperation after getting crushed a half dozen times when the second came out. They were almost too easy with someone else to distract one of them.

By far the most annoying part of the game for me is the 10 minutes it takes me when I start playing again to get into the rhythm of not getting pasted again.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

I have a question about damage scaling. Right now I rushed the Zweihander, and am planning on getting my str/dex stats up to that level while also maxing out int (at the cost of vit/end, just because I don't need it as much anymore). My question is this:

Will my 50int sorcerer get more damage out of setup A or B?

A: +15 Zweihander, enchanted with crystal magic weapon and a badass catalyst,

or B: a +5 Enchanted Zweihander?

Alternatively, since it's still early, I thought about going with a dex/int build instead and using ricard's rapier. Same situation, is one setup better than the other?

With high stats, +15 and a buff will always be better than anything else. With 27 str, 10 dex, and 50 int, two handed the +5 enchanted will have 715(266/449) attack and the +15 with buff will have 844(528/316). The more you put into str and dex the more the regular weapon will outshine the enchanted one. That said the zweihander is a pretty crappy weapon for +15 because of its mediocre, split scaling, with those same stats a +15 man-serpent greatsword only does 7 less damage and swings way faster.

Probably the best way to go is to use an enchanted weapon for regular enemies and buff a +15 one for bosses.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wow, Manus on my first try.

I don't know if this means my current build is that powerful, my last build was that gimped, or knowing DS boss patterns just makes them that much easier.

Or all three.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Buffs like CMW work best with fast weapons, since the damage is based on your magic adjust and not on the weapon. Richard's Rapier is really good for this since its R2 does like 5 hits in 2 seconds.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

TastyAvocado posted:

With high stats, +15 and a buff will always be better than anything else. With 27 str, 10 dex, and 50 int, two handed the +5 enchanted will have 715(266/449) attack and the +15 with buff will have 844(528/316). The more you put into str and dex the more the regular weapon will outshine the enchanted one. That said the zweihander is a pretty crappy weapon for +15 because of its mediocre, split scaling, with those same stats a +15 man-serpent greatsword only does 7 less damage and swings way faster.

Probably the best way to go is to use an enchanted weapon for regular enemies and buff a +15 one for bosses.

Is there a better weapon option than the man-serpent sword if I want a str-ish/max int build?

Edit: Ah, so maybe a Dex-ish/max int build would be better!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Alright it's EU primetime and I spent 30mins getting a new character down to the Catacombs, time to slap down some Gravelord signs in the Parish. :getin:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

tractor fanatic posted:

Buffs like CMW work best with fast weapons, since the damage is based on your magic adjust and not on the weapon. Richard's Rapier is really good for this since its R2 does like 5 hits in 2 seconds.

Ricard's, why can't you be consistently good? :sigh:

You're like a two pump thrust chump with Sunlight Blade and then you have no thunder left in PvP.

Not to mention piercing damage is horrible against actual bosses.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah ricard's rapier is only really good if you use it with a monstrous buff, preferably the upgraded darkmoon blade. In that case it does the highest dps in the game I suspect (I saw a video of a guy doing this on like NG+++ and hitting bosses for 6000+ per combo). I tried using it with the 15 int Oolacile catalyst/great magic weapon I like to go with but it wasn't very impressive.

Personally I like the man-serpent a lot because it's a monster even without the buff, and only needs 27 str to get the most out of the scaling if you're two handing it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

TastyAvocado posted:

Yeah ricard's rapier is only really good if you use it with a monstrous buff, preferably the upgraded darkmoon blade. In that case it does the highest dps in the game I suspect (I saw a video of a guy doing this on like NG+++ and hitting bosses for 6000+ per combo). I tried using it with the 15 int Oolacile catalyst/great magic weapon I like to go with but it wasn't very impressive.

Personally I like the man-serpent a lot because it's a monster even without the buff, and only needs 27 str to get the most out of the scaling if you're two handing it.

GMW at 15int with an Oolacile Catalyst is only 198 magic damage.

Darkmoon Blade with like 40 faith and the Darkmoon Talisman is 401 magic damage.

That's probably why it didn't seem impressive, the dude probably stacked his faith and covenant rank high to squeeze the maximum buff from it.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
That's... exactly what I said.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
So, I'm assuming the Abyss Greatsword sucks? What the hell do I do with the Soul of Artorias?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Brother Scrotum posted:

So, I'm assuming the Abyss Greatsword sucks? What the hell do I do with the Soul of Artorias?

You make the sword anyway because it is in fact the Stylin' Sword of the Abyss.

Also it doesn't really suck it just requires investment in strength and dex and 18 in faith and int, allows for use of the supportive miracles and spells but nothing to write home about.

The lovely thing about it is that it scales with humanity.

HelloTeam
Aug 21, 2012
Did anyone ever try to do coop in the forest?
My friend summoned me and we just ganged up on invaders (mostly from the forest covenant but also some reds) but whenever there was more than one invader connecting I got dropped from the session. (Network connection has become unstable...)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So what would be the absolute minimum number of bosses that are required to beat the game? Back when the Kiln Glitch existed it was an incredibly small number, but I know there's ways to make most everything optional. What I'm thinking is something like:

Quelaag
Gargoyles
Sif
Four Kings
Iron Golem
Smough & Ornstein
Seath
Nito (Pinwheel is glitch-skippable, was that ever fixed for PC?)
Bed of Chaos (Ceaseless, Firesage, and Centipede are all skippable)
Gwyn

Is that about right? Add one if you're not counting any glitches. The old Kiln Glitch cut about half of those guys out.

I'm wondering if any of the bosses are skippable in the DLC, other than the obviously optional one. It seems like it might somehow be possible in theory to skip Artorias, if one could just find a way to glitch into the arena. Maybe some kind of loading glitch to skip the Sanctuary Guardian? Otherwise I got nothin'.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Nakar posted:

So what would be the absolute minimum number of bosses that are required to beat the game? Back when the Kiln Glitch existed it was an incredibly small number, but I know there's ways to make most everything optional. What I'm thinking is something like:

Quelaag
Gargoyles
Sif
Four Kings
Iron Golem
Smough & Ornstein
Seath
Gwyn

Is that about right? Add one if you're not counting any glitches. The old Kiln Glitch cut about half of those guys out.

I'm wondering if any of the bosses are skippable in the DLC, other than the obviously optional one. It seems like it might somehow be possible in theory to skip Artorias, if one could just find a way to glitch into the arena. Maybe some kind of loading glitch to skip the Sanctuary Guardian? Otherwise I got nothin'.

Is Ceaseless still skippable? Lava does more damage now, presumably to prevent that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Nakar posted:

Quelaag
Gargoyles
Sif
Four Kings
Iron Golem
Smough & Ornstein
Seath
Gwyn

I don't think Pinwheel or Ceaseless are skippable anymore. I never knew the Pinwheel skip particularly well, but the magma down by Ceaseless does more damage now or something, so it probably isn't possible to make the flippy run through it anymore.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Brother Scrotum posted:

Make the Greatshield instead. Best in the game.

Edit: Whoops, got it mixed up with the Soul of Sif.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Brother Scrotum posted:

The Soul has basically two uses. You can either make the Abyss Greatsword with it, or you can trade it in for a decent curved sword and dagger (Which has the best critical rating in the game).

OR you can keep it and make the greatsword and murder the person who asks for it, getting those two weapons and the armor said person wears. If you give the soul away, you won't get it back even if you do murder that person.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

The Soul has basically two uses. You can either make the Abyss Greatsword with it, or you can trade it in for a decent curved sword and dagger (Which has the best critical rating in the game).

OR you can keep it and make the greatsword and murder the person who asks for it, getting those two weapons and the armor said person wears. If you give the soul away, you won't get it back even if you do murder that person.

Is that the masked dude? Cause I want that overcoat real bad.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Stats time! I'm SL40 now and plan to finish around... 70? I have 26 dex, 16 str, 15 int and 18 end/15 vit. If I'm mainly a dex brawler I obviously want 40 dex by the end, but what should I level other than that? endurance is sort of secondary really and only a comfort stat at this point for better equip at 50% load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
If you don't have enough STR to one-hand a weapon is the attack animation for 2H slower than if you are two-handing once you meet the stat requirements? Besides the poor stat scaling I'm just trying to see if there are any penalties besides being forced to 2H something if you don't meet the minimum STR requirements.

• Locked thread