Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electricb7
Sep 7, 2012

>Hand over the jewels lady

Martytoof posted:

I've actually never played KZ1 or 2, and 3 had a pretty decent singleplayer campaign even if the multiplayer was complete poo poo and made me want to throw my PS3 out the window when I thought how let down I felt.

I might spring for this just to play the SP games.

You should definitely try Killzone 2's multiplayer. Best fun Iv had with my ps3 this gen.
I hope this trilogy revives the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing about Darksiders 2 is that it really felt like they ran out of steam partway through the whole process. The first two areas are fairly massive and have multiple dungeons while the second two are pretty much straight lines with the fourth one consisting of exactly one dungeon and nothing else. Combine this with the ending which kind of peters out with a fairly simple boss battle in a completely nondescript arena and you have a game that was much more enjoyable to start than it was to finish.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

muscles like this? posted:

The thing about Darksiders 2 is that it really felt like they ran out of steam partway through the whole process. The first two areas are fairly massive and have multiple dungeons while the second two are pretty much straight lines with the fourth one consisting of exactly one dungeon and nothing else. Combine this with the ending which kind of peters out with a fairly simple boss battle in a completely nondescript arena and you have a game that was much more enjoyable to start than it was to finish.
Don't say things like this, I'm already losing motivation to finish the game (mostly thanks to Dark Souls and its "I have other games?" effect).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It never gets bad and the last dungeon actually has kind of a fun gimmick but its just too short and is over with too quickly. Once you get finished with the Land of the Dead you could probably just power through the game in a couple of hours.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

It never gets bad and the last dungeon actually has kind of a fun gimmick but its just too short and is over with too quickly. Once you get finished with the Land of the Dead you could probably just power through the game in a couple of hours.

Haha, really? I just finished Land of the Dead last night. I guess my time with the game is coming to a close... It's a shame, too. I was really looking forward to it but the first game is just ten times better. Second biggest disappointment of the year. I mistakenly said it was my biggest disappointment of the year but I think I was blocking out memory of Max Payne 3.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
This is all really bad news. Darksiders is in my top 10, maybe 5, for games on the PS3. When I watched the GiantBomb Quick Look though, the addition of loot seemed like a really annoying new feature. I love it in Borderlands, but it just feels like padding out game hours and a waste of time in a single-player game. It just doesn't appear to fit with Darksiders at all.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Imagine playing Darksiders but having to spend an assload of time managing your inventory. The loot system adds nothing to the experience and I'd argue that it actually detracts from it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sony announced a while ago that the PS+ cloud storage capacity will be increased to 1 GB. I just checked my PS3 and it still says 150 MB. Has it not happened yet or do I need to do something?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Well, I think Darksiders 2 is better than the first game in every respect except for setting and storyline. The loot added another layer of interest for me along with the skills, and the dungeons were much better this time around. Their length was pretty much perfect and the mechanics were sound.

I never found myself managing my inventory because I'd just set it to auto-loot, and sell things whenever a quest brought me by a shopkeeper.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Sony announced a while ago that the PS+ cloud storage capacity will be increased to 1 GB. I just checked my PS3 and it still says 150 MB. Has it not happened yet or do I need to do something?
Not being snarky but did Sony actually announce that or did someone announce that Sony would be announcing it at E3 or Gamescom and then it didn't actually occur? I remember waiting to hear about that and then not.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Sony announced it at E3. It was in the conference. No other word yet.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Feenix posted:

Not being snarky but did Sony actually announce that or did someone announce that Sony would be announcing it at E3 or Gamescom and then it didn't actually occur? I remember waiting to hear about that and then not.

They sure did.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gamescom actually, but yeah it was Sony that said it.

Also confirmed by the Blog, which says September: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/14/playstation-plus-coming-to-ps-vita-online-game-save-storage-getting-upgraded/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

Well, I think Darksiders 2 is better than the first game in every respect except for setting and storyline. The loot added another layer of interest for me along with the skills, and the dungeons were much better this time around. Their length was pretty much perfect and the mechanics were sound.

I never found myself managing my inventory because I'd just set it to auto-loot, and sell things whenever a quest brought me by a shopkeeper.

Even though I'm disappointed with the second half I do actually think Darksiders 2 is much better than 1. Although I'm not really the biggest fan of 1 in the first place.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

AngryBoochSep posted:

If by setting you include the level design and world, that was the number one thing that makes Darksiders one of my favorite games. It felt huge, but you could navigate tricky trap-laden environments from front to back, and travel the entire world without ever using the waypoint system. So, if that stuff is worse in 2, that's another reason for me to skip this one.

Even though I'm disappointed with the second half I do actually think Darksiders 2 is much better than 1. Although I'm not really the biggest fan of 1 in the first place.

It's really surprising that almost everyone I hear that likes 1 does not like 2. drat shame.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The fact that alot of the people that don't like Darksiders 2 liked the first one and vice versa make me want to play it a little more. Still, I'm waiting for it to get real cheap.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I finally decided to jump on the Mass Effect train and see what was up. I heard that the PS3 version had a free comic included that let you make some of the choices from the first one, but that you lose out on some of the more nuanced choices. I figured, hey whatever, no big deal. So I got the game from Gamefly, and now everything I am reading is telling me the comic is DLC. I go onto PSN, and the only thing that mentions Mass Effect: Genesis is a DLC pack that costs $15. I check a wiki, and the wiki still claims it's free.

So my question is, am I looking in the wrong place or is EA really going to be that big of an rear end in a top hat and try to wring $15 out of my pocket? I don't want to be that guy walking into the theater and suddenly seeing Han Solo jam Luke into a tauntaun out of context and then exclaiming in a loud and external monologue "WHOA, why is that dude making his friend a dead animal sleeping bag??? Antarctica gets weird in the future. Is that a llama?" Then he gets a face full of popcorn and everyone tells him to shut up and so he just leaves because he's so embarrassed. Don't wanna be that guy. Help me out.

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!

Nails posted:

I finally decided to jump on the Mass Effect train and see what was up. I heard that the PS3 version had a free comic included that let you make some of the choices from the first one, but that you lose out on some of the more nuanced choices. I figured, hey whatever, no big deal. So I got the game from Gamefly, and now everything I am reading is telling me the comic is DLC. I go onto PSN, and the only thing that mentions Mass Effect: Genesis is a DLC pack that costs $15. I check a wiki, and the wiki still claims it's free.

So my question is, am I looking in the wrong place or is EA really going to be that big of an rear end in a top hat and try to wring $15 out of my pocket? I don't want to be that guy walking into the theater and suddenly seeing Han Solo jam Luke into a tauntaun out of context and then exclaiming in a loud and external monologue "WHOA, why is that dude making his friend a dead animal sleeping bag??? Antarctica gets weird in the future. Is that a llama?" Then he gets a face full of popcorn and everyone tells him to shut up and so he just leaves because he's so embarrassed. Don't wanna be that guy. Help me out.

It comes with a slip of paper with a code on it when you buy a new copy, if you rent or buy used it's not included and you have to pay for the dlc.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Crocodylus Pontifex posted:

It comes with a slip of paper with a code on it when you buy a new copy, if you rent or buy used it's not included and you have to pay for the dlc.

That's what I figured. It really sucks that they lumped a pretty necessary DLC in with a $15 package. I probably would've paid $1.99 for it if they would've done that. Oh well. I guess they won the battle, because now I'm probably going to buy it since it costs about as much to buy the game brand new on Amazon as it does to get the DLC. Thanks.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Nails posted:

That's what I figured. It really sucks that they lumped a pretty necessary DLC in with a $15 package. I probably would've paid $1.99 for it if they would've done that. Oh well. I guess they won the battle, because now I'm probably going to buy it since it costs about as much to buy the game brand new on Amazon as it does to get the DLC. Thanks.

Or just play it with the default settings? The choices from the first game won't really have much meaning to you since you didn't play it. They really only exist for cool moments where you meet the characters from the first game again instead of said characters being replaced by an alien of the exact same race with a different name.

Also don't just jump into the third game. In my opinion you should play the games in order. It is well worth it and ME1 is a great game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh nice then!! :)

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Other than Uncharted 3, have any games with decent online coop come out this year?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Starhawk is great with buddies, on-line or off. I played that poo poo all night, lost over and over again, then realized the difficulty was cranked up way too high.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop
Ooh, that's not a bad idea! Ta!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I noticed there is a new demo for Dragon's Dogma. As someone who still doesn't have the game, but really wants it, this pleases me greatly. :yaycloud:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

SolidRed posted:

Or just play it with the default settings? The choices from the first game won't really have much meaning to you since you didn't play it. They really only exist for cool moments where you meet the characters from the first game again instead of said characters being replaced by an alien of the exact same race with a different name.

Also don't just jump into the third game. In my opinion you should play the games in order. It is well worth it and ME1 is a great game.
The default choices are dumb namely because the best character in the whole series starts off dead.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is it possible to use the save files stored in the online storage cloud on multiple PS3s? Basically, I use one PS3 to do most of my gaming and it auto-saves to the cloud from there at night, but today I'm trying to play on the PS3 in a different room. None of the save files show up in Online Storage option on this second PS3.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is it possible to use the save files stored in the online storage cloud on multiple PS3s? Basically, I use one PS3 to do most of my gaming and it auto-saves to the cloud from there at night, but today I'm trying to play on the PS3 in a different room. None of the save files show up in Online Storage option on this second PS3.

That's the only thing I ever used Cloud Saves for. You have to be signed into the same account on both PS3s and the cloud storage will just have the same files in it on both.

I have 2 PS3s and I just used cloud saves to move my games from upstairs to downstairs whenever I wanted.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mug posted:

That's the only thing I ever used Cloud Saves for. You have to be signed into the same account on both PS3s and the cloud storage will just have the same files in it on both.
Oh, signed into both at the same time? That might be my problem. Thanks.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Oh, signed into both at the same time? That might be my problem. Thanks.

No, not at the same time. It just needs to be the same account used on each console, you can't account-share your Plus/Cloud.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mug posted:

No, not at the same time. It just needs to be the same account used on each console, you can't account-share your Plus/Cloud.
Yeah, I'm logging into the same account on both systems, but the files on the cloud storage don't show up on the second PS3.

Edit: Figured it out. I guess it wasn't "fully synched" or something. I had to upload something to the cloud from the second PS3 first before it let me download anything from the cloud to the second PS3. I just made a quick settings file for Home, uploaded it to the cloud, and then all of the other saves showed up as well.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 9, 2012

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Flopstick posted:

Other than Uncharted 3, have any games with decent online coop come out this year?

Shank 2 has some of the most fun co-op I've played, it's definitely one of the must buy games on the PSN as far as I'm concerned. I haven't touched much of the single player content, but the co-op is glorious.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Flopstick posted:

Also, if there's anyone online or one of your friends has it, Resistance 3's entire campaign can be played co-op online or offline.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

MUFFlNS posted:

Shank 2 has some of the most fun co-op I've played, it's definitely one of the must buy games on the PSN as far as I'm concerned. I haven't touched much of the single player content, but the co-op is glorious.
I am opposite - haven't touched multi, have played a ton of single player - and it is also fantastic.

Get Shank 2.

EDIT: VV Shank 2 and Trine 2 were why I got PS+ too :hfive:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 9, 2012

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
The entire reason I changed my PS+ sub to 1 year after my 3-month expired is because of Shank 2 (also Trine 2, Far Cry 2). Just so much fun to be had for a price of $10.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I finally got the chance to finish Far Cry 2. Good game, but the driving sucked. The map needed to be smaller and the vehicles needed to be faster. The combat was awesome, but don't bother with anything other than the AK47 because they are all pretty much unreliable pieces of poo poo that will jam much quicker than a AK. I did think the part at the end was a nice touch when you go to the crashed plane for the diamonds.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

I finally got the chance to finish Far Cry 2. Good game, but the driving sucked. The map needed to be smaller and the vehicles needed to be faster. The combat was awesome, but don't bother with anything other than the AK47 because they are all pretty much unreliable pieces of poo poo that will jam much quicker than a AK. I did think the part at the end was a nice touch when you go to the crashed plane for the diamonds.

I stopped playing this about 2/3 of the way through because of all the driving. To me Far Cry 2 was a driving simulator with some gunplay thrown in.

It felt like 90% of my time was spent getting somewhere.

Overall I still liked the game, but I just sort of stopped playing one day and never picked it back up. I should finish it but ehhhh.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

BlindNinja posted:

The entire reason I changed my PS+ sub to 1 year after my 3-month expired is because of Shank 2 (also Trine 2, Far Cry 2). Just so much fun to be had for a price of $10.

If, as you say, that's your entire reason for doing so then that's kind of dumb. You can buy the drat games for less than that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Martytoof posted:

I stopped playing this about 2/3 of the way through because of all the driving. To me Far Cry 2 was a driving simulator with some gunplay thrown in.

It felt like 90% of my time was spent getting somewhere.

Overall I still liked the game, but I just sort of stopped playing one day and never picked it back up. I should finish it but ehhhh.

I probably could have made it much easier on myself if I just skipped the secondary objectives that your merc buddies give you. The safe house upgrades are useful, but they aren't necessary. I think that would have cut off a good chunk off my playtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Flopstick posted:

I picked up Syndicate for twenty bucks a couple weeks back after someone here talked about it and was surprised at how fun the online co-op was. The whole deal is a competitive angle where you and three other dudes go through missions together and compete to earn points by killing/helping/doing other stuff. I really like the progression system too, where you've got a level system for your guy but you also level up weapons and chip programs.

• Locked thread