Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Roger_Mudd posted:

I haven't done mine. Pass on any info for the lazy?

http://www.legalethicstexas.com/Courses/Online-Courses/Justice-James-A--Baker-Guide-to-the-Basics-of--(1).aspx

Enjoy! It's not the worst thing I've ever sat through, and my boss let me do it at work so whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Ani posted:

I'm confused. Are you representing the insurance adjuster?

My client threatened the insurance adjuster and told her he went to the ER and had an MRI. He didn't. I couldn't produce those records because they didn't exist, and told her I couldn't because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Dogen posted:

http://www.legalethicstexas.com/Courses/Online-Courses/Justice-James-A--Baker-Guide-to-the-Basics-of--(1).aspx

Enjoy! It's not the worst thing I've ever sat through, and my boss let me do it at work so whatever

I've heard this is the biggest piece of bullshit that's ever existed outside of law school.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

diospadre posted:

As of six years ago (God it's been that long already?) in Illinois it was just a huge text document of ~10 digit numbers posted on the website, if your number was on the list you passed.

That's still the case. MO does the list of names.

I'm a little sad that the big red FAIL isn't real. If they could figure out a way to tell you if you failed with a sad trombone noise, I'd demand my state bar start using it.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
So which is better, Westlaw or LexisNexis? I'm sure we can come to a completely factual, objective, and correct opinion.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

So It Goes posted:

So which is better, Westlaw or LexisNexis? I'm sure we can come to a completely factual, objective, and correct opinion.
Westlaw forever.

"I'm going to use all my points to buy a canoe."

Tanicius
Sep 3, 2012

nm posted:

I can only speak to CA, but I had a nearly perfect resume for the work.
Problem is that the vast, vast mjority of pre and post bar clerks are unpaid. There are a few that are paid but those counties are generally less prestigious and let you do less than unpaid (making it less likely you will get hired).
If you're lucky, after admission you will talk your way into temporary positions thtat last 3-6 mos. You will float those and unemployment for a while until you finally get a paid position.
My position had 800 people apply for 3 permanent positions. I had almost 2 years of PD experence to get the job and probably had the least experence of anyone hired.
Loyalty matters even less at PD and DA offices because of the hiring system. People who work at say San Francisco PD for free for months are almost never hired. It is just as likely you will get hired as someone working for another county.

CA's my experience as well, specifically the Bay Area. The offices around here do hire, and the pre-bar clerkships are paid. I've done a summer in Contra Costa County and I know Alameda pays $20/hour for pre-bar clerks. Still, you're probably right that most counties don't pay at first, and it mean it's very important to be applying to fellowships during 3L year. Chasing fellowships is probably the most unappealing part of trying to do this stuff for a living right out of school.

I do think working at a county certainly helps getting hired. Most of the people I know who got deputy positions in Santa Clara, Contra Costa, and Alameda all worked at those offices for at least a summer before graduation. It just helps get your foot in the door so you're at least one of the handful of people the choice comes down to after 300+ applications have been weeded out.

As for the San Francisco office specifically, SF doesn't hire any of its clerks because it just doesn't hire out of graduation, like at all. Have to work your way into the SF office after getting experience elsewhere.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Posner brings the hammer down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhBBV0aI7lM&t=3247s

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So It Goes posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Lexis is better except for having Matthew Bender and better rewards (AmEx cards for life.)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Boxman posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say Lexis is better except for having Matthew Bender and better rewards (AmEx cards for life.)
And Chisum

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Boxman posted:

Lexis is infinitely better if you have an understanding of boolean searching.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

So It Goes posted:

Google.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Suitchat time!

The Difference Between A $99 Suit And A $5,000 Suit, In One Graphic
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/09/05/160607575/the-difference-between-a-99-suit-and-a-5-000-suit-in-one-graphic

What’s a $4,000 Suit Worth?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/magazine/whats-a-4000-suit-worth.html?_r=1&pagewanted=1&pagewanted=all

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Expensive suits can certainly be worth the money to somebody who cares about suits or gets tangible social benefits from wearing really nice suits, but you can get suits in the range of 500 that look like they could have cost 1000 and are fully or at least half-canvassed. These suits will be plenty good enough for almost anybody from a law student to a successful professional. Gilt Groupe is still excellent for this. And of course there are some deals at Nordstrom Rack and Macy's. It's also possible to get a suit that looks/feels like it costs about $500 for about $200 on Gilt or at these stores.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Two items jumped out at me as I was browsing job postings today:

1. A posting for a senior attorney position that required five years of experience. Starting salary? UNPAID POSITION.

2. A posting for an attorney in a bankruptcy practice that warned:

quote:

You will be over looked if you do not include in the body of your email:
1. Source and Years of consumer bankruptcy experience
2. Source and Years of Sales driven experience
3. Top 10 reasons bankruptcy is an attractive and best benefit for the consumer experiencing financial hardship
4. Best contact information

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tanicius posted:

I do think working at a county certainly helps getting hired. Most of the people I know who got deputy positions in Santa Clara, Contra Costa, and Alameda all worked at those offices for at least a summer before graduation. It just helps get your foot in the door so you're at least one of the handful of people the choice comes down to after 300+ applications have been weeded out.

The problem is that they hire 10 clerks for every new attorney position (actually, my office probably hires even more), so you get a tiny outside shot. You may have a very small bump, but it is pretty small. (Alameda is an exception and maybe Santa Clara is as well, I do not believe CoCo is given how many CoCo refugees I've seen elsewhere -- I worked in the bay myself, until heading south). And then the clerks get spoiled when someone with 2 years of PD work applies. I've met the guy who was "supposed" to get my job. I felt bad until he got a Federal Defenders position and now I'm jealous.

My "clerk" experience got me in the door and got me temporary positions, but never helped me with permanent positions in my own county. It actually seemed much more of a help in other counties.
Of course, I'm a 2009 grad and basically after clerkships no one was hiring anyone. I think Sacramento County may have hired for the first time since 2008 this past year.

You don't need to pay $5000 for a good bespoke suit.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

gvibes posted:

And Chisum

Also TotalPatent (mostly because I'm too lazy to do anything but courtlink to see if a patent's been asserted).

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

nm posted:

You don't need to pay $5000 for a good bespoke suit.

Yeah I'm a gigantic suit snob (worked at a high-end suit store) and you can get great suits for way cheaper than that. I nominate Samuelsohn as the best of both worlds --they're not as sharply cut as the Euros (excluding Canali) without being baggy.

Protip: Basically never dry clean your suit. Just don't wear it 10 days in a row and hang it up. All a suit needs to recover is air and space unless you spilled poo poo all over it. If it makes you really anxious, go once every four months.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Omerta posted:

Yeah I'm a gigantic suit snob (worked at a high-end suit store) and you can get great suits for way cheaper than that. I nominate Samuelsohn as the best of both worlds --they're not as sharply cut as the Euros (excluding Canali) without being baggy.

Protip: Basically never dry clean your suit. Just don't wear it 10 days in a row and hang it up. All a suit needs to recover is air and space unless you spilled poo poo all over it. If it makes you really anxious, go once every four months.

I recommend 2-4 times a year because if you wear regularly, you can get stuff on it you won't notice. If that stuff is food, you can get moths. I lost one of my favorite suits that way :(.

I love my steamer (never use it on the fronts of jackets though) though. Also, if we're doing suit chat, multiple pants is the only way to go.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Solid Lizzie posted:

Can't really dive too much into specifics currently, but suffice to say, while he's no sovereign citizen, the various tax-related client stories you've read in here are fairly indicative of (a) how cooky his scheme was, and; (b) how adamant he was that we just didn't care/didn't know what we were doing/various other allegations about not trying to vindicate his rights and the reason why he's been entangled in this for two years is totally because all lawyers are lazy and out to get him and not because his proposed plan won't fly.

Did you hit him in the face with Circular 230 and order him to read it?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
http://www.concurringopinions.com/a...mail-files.html

quote:

Recent Unsent E-mails from Antonin Scalia to Richard Posner, as Retrieved from Justice Scalia’s “Deleted E-Mail” Files

To: Richard Posner

Date: August 24, 2012

Re: Your Review of Reading Law

Dear Dick:

Thanks for your interesting review of Reading Law in The New Republic. Mr. Garner and I certainly appreciate your thoughts. I, personally, am especially pleased that you found time to mull over our humble text, given your busy schedule of giving NPR interviews criticizing Republicans as “goofy” on the one hand, and constructing baby-trading markets on the other.

Yours,

Antonin Scalia

etc etc

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

nm posted:

Also, if we're doing suit chat, multiple pants is the only way to go.
Everyone says this - what the hell are you all doing with your pants? I only have a few suits and I wear them regularly, and my single pair of pants for each is doing just fine.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Ani posted:

Everyone says this - what the hell are you all doing with your pants? I only have a few suits and I wear them regularly, and my single pair of pants for each is doing just fine.

:eng101: Multiple pairs of pants can be problematic with suits; the jacket will wear and fade differently compared to each pair of pants. Similarly, if you must dry-clean a suit, do the whole thing, not just the coat or pants.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
The real problem I have with the multiple pants issue is the actual practical application. Do you put one leg in each pair, so they're flapping around? Do you just wear them one on top of the other? And if so, doesn't that start to cause problems with buttoning them?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alaemon posted:

The real problem I have with the multiple pants issue is the actual practical application. Do you put one leg in each pair, so they're flapping around? Do you just wear them one on top of the other? And if so, doesn't that start to cause problems with buttoning them?

TTT grad spotted.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Alaemon posted:

No you only wear one pair of pants at a time, the rest go in your closet in case something happens to the first pair.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

diospadre posted:

No you only wear one pair of pants at a time, the rest go in your closet in case something happens to the first pair.

Also, pants usually wear out faster than jackets, so it's not just "in case poo poo happens" but also "when you finally destroy the crotch".

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Business of Ferrets posted:

:eng101: Multiple pairs of pants can be problematic with suits; the jacket will wear and fade differently compared to each pair of pants. Similarly, if you must dry-clean a suit, do the whole thing, not just the coat or pants.

That is why you alternate wearing them.
I have way to many solo jackets because pants wore out or something to not have 2. Jackets basically never wear out.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Ani posted:

I'm also curious as to what the gently caress you people are doing with your pants.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

HiddenReplaced posted:

I'm also curious as to what the gently caress you people are doing with your pants.

Wearing them daily.
It isn't that the pants wear out fast, it is that your jacket lasts about twice as long. $200-400 to double the life of a $2000 suit is completely worth it.
Pants are also far more likely to snag or be damaged or be spilled on.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I tore my favorite pants during a big stretch getting into my car on the way to court. I went back to the office to tell my boss to go to court for me, and after he refused and told me to suck it up they just kept tearing so after my walk of shame through the office I drove home in my underwear and changed into a different suit and got to court late.

I think those loving things are hanging in my closet somewhere.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Not to derail pantschat or anything, but I figured I'd out myself as a recent UBC grad in Vancouver so I guess if there is anyone wanting to know about UBC Law, PLTCs, and whatever, I'm around and now following this thread.

By the way, thanks again for the support, Diplomaticus. I passed all my assessments and in retrospect was probably worrying way too much.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
This is why, at my initial appointment with a tailor after I get a new suit, I always ask him to reinforce the crotch.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Fatties rippin pants itt

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MoFauxHawk posted:

This is why, at my initial appointment with a tailor after I get a new suit, I always ask him to reinforce the crotch.

They don't call it "Big Law" for nothing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

To divert from suit chat, shoe chat:
I just bought these

I think I need a new suit to go with them though.

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 2, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Gembolah posted:

I didn't know AE made bowling shoes.

Har Har.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Gembolah posted:

I didn't know AE made bowling shoes.
Oh man, I died laughing at this.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Does anyone else see a baboon screaming in terror in the right shoe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

BigHead posted:

Does anyone else see a baboon screaming in terror in the right shoe?

I see it. Good call.