Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Basically just search "Homestuck" on DeviantArt and you'll get the idea of what the fan base is like.

Although to be totally honest... an adventure game based on Homestuck could actually work. I'm mostly thinking about the earlier comics here when most of the humour came from the world running on video game logic, including a really obtuse inventory system and spending crazy amounts of effort just to achieve a seemingly simple goal like "Go outside" (about half of Problem Sleuth is this as well, which may explain why I liked PS better than Homestuck since I find that way more appealing than whatever the hell is going on now). Plus the whole thing is pretending to be driven by a text parser, which is obviously a huge adventure gamer boner right there.

Actually translating the inventory/house building/item combining shenanigans into a real game could make for some really original puzzles. Although obviously the item combinations would have to be extremely limited since the system presented in the comic gives several billion (trillion? *edit* apparently it's more like 18,446,744,000,000,000,000) possible items, which is fine when writing a comic because you can just make stuff up on the fly, but not exactly feasible when you have to define it all in your code. I suppose it could be pared down with some kind of hybridization system, but even then it would be tricky since there's an internal logic to how things combine in the comic which would be incredibly difficult to actually implement in an elegant way*.

Of course there's obviously no indication that he could actually DELIVER on a game like that, since he hasn't talked about who would actually be developing it. But the concept itself has merit.

*(For those who don't read the comic, basically every object in the world is defined by an 8 digit ASCII code. You can create new items by doing binary operations like AND and OR between multiple object codes, and the resulting objects will have properties based on how you combined the input. You can see why this would get complicated very quickly, since every output object has its own 8 digit code which can be recombined with any other object ad infinitum)

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

This is an incredibly stupid derail, and basically consists of people congratulating each other on not being fans of something. If you're not posting about the Kickstarter itself, you can complain about MSPA in the thread I started over in BSS like three years ago.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Oh Mercenary Kings, (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/322438897/mercenary-kings) why do you care about OUYA support? Is it to get more people to sign up for the stretch goals after reaching the main goal for a system you know is never going to come out?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Here's a Homestuck Kickstarter-related post: someone actually pledged $10K for the "your character will become canon" option. I honestly didn't think it was going to happen. Do you actually have to have ten thousand dollars in your bank account or whatever to pledge that high?

E: Scratch that, they backed out. Counter's back down to 10/10 available.

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 5, 2012

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I suppose it could be pared down with some kind of hybridization system, but even then it would be tricky since there's an internal logic to how things combine in the comic which would be incredibly difficult to actually implement in an elegant way*.

I think this would work pretty well with Shin Megami Tensei style fusion with special fusions for certain items.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Scratch-O posted:

Here's a Homestuck Kickstarter-related post: someone actually pledged $10K for the "your character will become canon" option. I honestly didn't think it was going to happen. Do you actually have to have ten thousand dollars in your bank account or whatever to pledge that high?

E: Scratch that, they backed out. Counter's back down to 10/10 available.

No, Amazon Payments doesn't even sniff at your plastic until the due date arrives. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how Jack Houston and the Necronauts ended up ten grand in the hole after their campaign ended.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Planetary Annihilation is halfway to the next stretch goal (gas giants and orbital units) and just posted an update. No announcement of the remaining two stretch goals, but they've added a few new tiers - a digital-only equivalent of the $100 tier for $90, and a $150 tier that lets you add your name or handle to the planet/star name generator lists.

The next stretch goal announcement is "later this week". You guys only have a week left, what the gently caress are you playing at? :psyduck:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The Homestuck project has met its goal, reaching 700K in about 35 hours.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Al! posted:

Sounds exactly like Dragonball Z to me.

I dunno, lots of dialog and "revolving around characters" sounds pretty much as far away from DBZ as you could get. But I never read that far into Homestuck (well, relatively) so maybe it is just one big battle after another.

For some actual content, I almost feel like they'd be better off not focusing too much in trying to make some kind of amazing unique adventure game systems and just focusing on the story aspect, since that's basically the core of what people like Homestuck for anyway.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 6, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Expeditions: Conquistador is also entering its final week- in the name of God and Spain, let's see this one make it!

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RXE9Yuixt0

Ice-Pick Lodge just posted that, and apparently, for only 500$ they will plant a tree in a desert and look after it for 50 years! I'm honestly tempted, that's like 10$ a year for remote full-time treekeeping.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/knock-knock

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Call Now posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RXE9Yuixt0

Ice-Pick Lodge just posted that, and apparently, for only 500$ they will plant a tree in a desert and look after it for 50 years! I'm honestly tempted, that's like 10$ a year for remote full-time treekeeping.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/knock-knock

So they want to be this guy, basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLDEL-ZPqaQ

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Planetary Annihilation unveiled their newest stretch goal, Galactic War metagame! It sounds really good and more interesting and fitting for the game than a scripted campaign but it's going to need a huge boost to make that extra $500k.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Tagichatn posted:

Planetary Annihilation unveiled their newest stretch goal, Galactic War metagame! It sounds really good and more interesting and fitting for the game than a scripted campaign but it's going to need a huge boost to make that extra $500k.

This is awesome but should have been their first stretch goal. Metal planets don't cost $200K.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Rad Russian posted:

This is awesome but should have been their first stretch goal. Metal planets don't cost $200K.

The stretch goals aren't really about the new map types, they're mostly about the new unit types that come along with those map types. In the case of the metal planets, they're adding more orbital units and the ability to find and reactivate planet-sized weapons. So yeah, I can see needing $200k for balance and testing that sort of thing.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Conclave is well worth a look. It's an asynchronous multiplayer web-based RPG, very tabletop inspired (specifically the mechanics really remind me of 4e D&D), they have a beta running with a dozen or so quests to try at http://www.playconclave.com/

It's a bit dull if you just play a long session on your own, but drag some friends on, and start firing off turns in breaks whilst doing other things, and it's a lot of fun.

CommissarMega posted:

Expeditions: Conquistador is also entering its final week- in the name of God and Spain, let's see this one make it!

God, I can't afford yet another $100 pledge but I can't stand watching these Kickstarters that spend days crawling over the line, Knock-Knock was particularly agonising for that.

Given Jonas Wĉver managed to make a compelling, branching story out of forum fanfiction in The Nameless Mod, I can't wait to see what he does with this setting.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Rad Russian posted:

I'm gonna guess that even if they don't reach the goal for Galactic War they'll say, "Due to overwhelming fan support we've decided to implement this feature." Stretch goals exist as a motivation to keep people donating and the arbitrary goal amounts rarely reflect their actual cost, plus there's nothing saying that you can't implement a stretch goal even if you don't reach it. Not to say that all stretch goals for all kickstarters should or could be implemented without reaching the goal, but in a case like this, where a feature looks to fit perfectly with the game and not implementing it would likely have a serious negative impact on the game, I don't think just saying "Sorry, we didn't get enough money" is an option.

Synival
Aug 14, 2012

Relax. It's still time for Klax.
Our project was posted here a while ago, and the consensus was that it looked cool, but our art needed an overhaul. We've made tons of progress since then and with 22 hours left to go, it feels appropriate to bring it up again. We have screenshots that represent a lot more of the final gameplay, as well as some beautiful character designs. Tiles have been redrawn, too, and combat effects look pretty nice. We're on our way to cranking out some SNES JRPG-style sprite sheets, but alas, they aren't ready for prime time yet. Regardless, Harmonia is shaping up visually. Check it out here:

Harmonia on Kickstarter: An Online RPG + Roguelike + RTS with a fully moddable scripted environment.

The latest playable demo (v0.0.4) is available for Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux. It's an abominable, confusing hybrid between text and 3D right now, but the Kickstarter is there to transfer over to 3D completely.

Download Harmonia v0.0.4 (Alpha) Here

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Synival posted:

Our project was posted here a while ago, and the consensus was that it looked cool, but our art needed an overhaul. We've made tons of progress since then and with 22 hours left to go, it feels appropriate to bring it up again. We have screenshots that represent a lot more of the final gameplay, as well as some beautiful character designs. Tiles have been redrawn, too, and combat effects look pretty nice. We're on our way to cranking out some SNES JRPG-style sprite sheets, but alas, they aren't ready for prime time yet. Regardless, Harmonia is shaping up visually. Check it out here:

Harmonia on Kickstarter: An Online RPG + Roguelike + RTS with a fully moddable scripted environment.

The latest playable demo (v0.0.4) is available for Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux. It's an abominable, confusing hybrid between text and 3D right now, but the Kickstarter is there to transfer over to 3D completely.

Download Harmonia v0.0.4 (Alpha) Here

This is actually a really neat idea. I hope you guys can get a surge today; if I could contribute to this right now, I would do so. Hopefully whatever happens, you'll keep pushing anyway.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thewittyname posted:

Rad Russian posted:

The stretch goals aren't really about the new map types, they're mostly about the new unit types that come along with those map types. In the case of the metal planets, they're adding more orbital units and the ability to find and reactivate planet-sized weapons. So yeah, I can see needing $200k for balance and testing that sort of thing.
Depending on what they're doing, it could also be a case of switching from special-case to “generic” rule sets. If all you have is a handful of environment, it's often easier to purpose-write each one of them to conform to what you're doing. As you start adding in more (…of anything, really), at some point you'll run into a situation where it's actually more effective to design a generic set of building blocks and rule sets that are then puzzled together to create the environments/units/equipment/whatever, and that step is often a large one.

Just doing it for one more [whatever] might not be worth it, but if you're already kind of balancing over the edge with what you have so far (and if it looks like there's a chance that you'll want to add more of the same in the future) it's a step worth taking.

Synival
Aug 14, 2012

What a Judas posted:

This is actually a really neat idea. I hope you guys can get a surge today; if I could contribute to this right now, I would do so. Hopefully whatever happens, you'll keep pushing anyway.

Ha, yeah, me too :-/ Whatever happens, we're not going to abandon the project by any means. If we don't reach our goal, we'll be looking into alternatives, re-evaluating our gameplay/pitch, and planning for the future, etc. We wouldn't be able to keep up development like we have been during Summer, but nearly all of our feedback has been positive, so we'll think of something. If we don't hit our goal, I don't think it's because nobody wants the game, but rather that we're inexperienced with fund-raising.

Still, a lot can happen in 20 hours, and we'll be plugging away until the time is up! :D We are pressing on with the fury of a thousand white hot suns, and I've got two bottles of champagne ready to go, either to celebrate a funded project, or for going the distance, Rocky style :)

To be honest, I'll be grateful when all this is over. Constant shilling hurts my soul, and I don't like doing it any more than anyone else likes seeing it :(

Edit: I'll be writing a postmortem on this whole madness after some time to reflect. Learned a lot of stuff, and knowledge is power, half the battle, etc.

Synival fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 7, 2012

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Clicking random links on Roguebasin (and the Roguebasin blurb is pretty bad and unappealing, so it wasn't the greatest source for people to come in by) is the only reason I ever heard of it before today. You most certainly would have been funded if it were better advertised to its demographic audience. :(

Synival
Aug 14, 2012

MrBims posted:

Clicking random links on Roguebasin (and the Roguebasin blurb is pretty bad and unappealing, so it wasn't the greatest source for people to come in by) is the only reason I ever heard of it before today. You most certainly would have been funded if it were better advertised to its demographic audience. :(

Yeahhh, advertising isn't my strong suit by any means. I'm perfectly fine with this on a personal level, but it tends to cause problems for all my various projects. On the bright side, this entire process has been really insightful and will help a lot in the future. Succeed or no, we're walking away from this campaign with nothing but good things - development, experience, feedback, a stronger team, a public server... I call it a win!

The ironic thing is that the goal is to make more of a tactical RPG rather than a Roguelike - at least that's the goal of the Kickstarter. Absolutely confusing, I know, which is the crux of the problem - "Help fund us so we can turn this game into a different game we don't have screenshots for." What? Exactly.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's unfortunately a big, big problem when you're crowdfunding, because the first thing you need is a crowd. Doublefine, the Planetary Annihilation team, and even that Homestuck guy have been (I dislike this phrase) building their brands for literally years. A smaller, unknown group really needs to bust its rear end to get the word out, especially if it's something as unusual as Harmonia.

Hope things work out (I've pledged), but there's nothing stopping you from running another KS campaign later!

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Synival posted:

Ha, yeah, me too :-/ Whatever happens, we're not going to abandon the project by any means. If we don't reach our goal, we'll be looking into alternatives, re-evaluating our gameplay/pitch, and planning for the future, etc. We wouldn't be able to keep up development like we have been during Summer, but nearly all of our feedback has been positive, so we'll think of something. If we don't hit our goal, I don't think it's because nobody wants the game, but rather that we're inexperienced with fund-raising.

Still, a lot can happen in 20 hours, and we'll be plugging away until the time is up! :D We are pressing on with the fury of a thousand white hot suns, and I've got two bottles of champagne ready to go, either to celebrate a funded project, or for going the distance, Rocky style :)

To be honest, I'll be grateful when all this is over. Constant shilling hurts my soul, and I don't like doing it any more than anyone else likes seeing it :(

Edit: I'll be writing a postmortem on this whole madness after some time to reflect. Learned a lot of stuff, and knowledge is power, half the battle, etc.

Am I remembering correctly that you originally mostly has screenshots of ASCII art up? I do think that ended up hurting you; I remember skimming your project and ignoring it based on the look of the screenshots before you came in here and told us that new graphics was a big part of the project and started putting some samples of those up. If this kickstarter fails, I'd really consider starting a new one and showing off your current and concept art more prominently from the beginning. That and having a playable demo from the start could make a big difference.

I doubt you're going to make it on this one, but I'm bumping my pledge up anyway just in case. However it turns out, I hope you'll post here and let us know what your next step is once you have it figured out. Good luck!

I AM THE LAW
Jul 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bieeardo posted:

the Planetary Annihilation team

You'd think their last game would've destroyed their brand.

Synival
Aug 14, 2012

Sefer posted:

Am I remembering correctly that you originally mostly has screenshots of ASCII art up? I do think that ended up hurting you; I remember skimming your project and ignoring it based on the look of the screenshots before you came in here and told us that new graphics was a big part of the project and started putting some samples of those up. If this kickstarter fails, I'd really consider starting a new one and showing off your current and concept art more prominently from the beginning. That and having a playable demo from the start could make a big difference.

I doubt you're going to make it on this one, but I'm bumping my pledge up anyway just in case. However it turns out, I hope you'll post here and let us know what your next step is once you have it figured out. Good luck!

Thank you, good sir, and my thoughts exactly. The thought's crossed my mind that we can time some time to polish things even further now that we've refined the message and the design, then hit it again, harder and better. Then we can look back at August as a trial run and a good experience for the real deal. Still, 18 hours to go, might as well keep pressing forward! :)

Edit: Oh, and just to be clear, we didn't have concept art from the beginning. I was lucky enough to find an artist that wanted to work on the project, but only after the project was live. So many thick, gooey layers of irony.

Synival fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 7, 2012

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I AM THE LAW posted:

You'd think their last game would've destroyed their brand.

Besides Monday Night Combat going over like a fart in a gale, I doubt there was enough overlap between FPS players and 'Annihilation fanboys to put the game on the latter's radar at all.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Does über have anything to do with total annihilation, kingdoms, or either supreme commander? I thought they were literally hijacking someone else's nostalgia for a spiritual successor that they had no claim to succession for beyond fandom.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Pretty sure the founders of Uber are a bunch of old Cavedog guys.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Rhythm Destruction looks like it could be pretty cool. It's a mixture of shooter and DDR - rather than shooting, you're DDR'ing with one hand and maneuvering with the other.

Doesn't hurt that all they're asking for is $2k, either. It should fund pretty easily. They're also on Greenlight, as I imagine every other Kickstarter will be from now on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nQXsmlU3Ps

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 8, 2012

I AM THE LAW
Jul 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bieeardo posted:

Besides Monday Night Combat going over like a fart in a gale, I doubt there was enough overlap between FPS players and 'Annihilation fanboys to put the game on the latter's radar at all.

MNC was good, their last game was SMNC which was a horrible, horrible design and cashgrab.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Sigma-X posted:

Does über have anything to do with total annihilation, kingdoms, or either supreme commander? I thought they were literally hijacking someone else's nostalgia for a spiritual successor that they had no claim to succession for beyond fandom.

John Mavor, the head of Uber, was involved with TA's development and was the lead programmer on SupCom and SupCom:FA. There are a few other developers at Uber who were also involved in those games. FWIW, none of them had anything to do with SupCom 2 (or TA:Kingdoms).

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Thewittyname posted:

John Mavor, the head of Uber, was involved with TA's development and was the lead programmer on SupCom and SupCom:FA. There are a few other developers at Uber who were also involved in those games. FWIW, none of them had anything to do with SupCom 2 (or TA:Kingdoms).

Ah, that makes more sense. The only Cavedog guy I ever paid attention to growing up was Chris Taylor and his move to start Gas Powered Games.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Shalinor posted:

Rhythm Destruction looks like it could be pretty cool. It's a mixture of shooter and DDR - rather than shooting, you're DDR'ing with one hand and maneuvering with the other.
The idea reminds me a bit of synaesthete. Also holy poo poo the soundtrack is partially done by Kyle Ward, a.k.a. KaW a.k.a. almost every other composer name in In The Groove/ITG2! That's a pretty big deal, so now I'm excited.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Illessa posted:

God, I can't afford yet another $100 pledge but I can't stand watching these Kickstarters that spend days crawling over the line

Hopefully it'll make it; so far, the Kickstarter is at $68,000 (nearly 69k) with 3 days to go. No hope of making the first stretch goal, sadly, but enough to ensure the game gets made, God willing.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Hopefully it'll make it; so far, the Kickstarter is at $68,000 (nearly 69k) with 3 days to go. No hope of making the first stretch goal, sadly, but enough to ensure the game gets made, God willing.

Yeah, it'll make it for sure, the number of Kickstarters that pass 80% funded and still fail is less than 1% of those that reach that threshold at all. A few passionate people will always push it through. I just need to make sure one of them isn't me :)

100k is probably out, but if they were to drop a last minute mini stretch goal at 80 or 90, that's totally doable and could give them a nice boost for the final leg.

[Edit] Apparently I'm psychic

Illessa fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 9, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Praise God, it'll get made! Now I'm worried that some of that money just won't pan out :ohdear:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Illessa posted:

Yeah, it'll make it for sure, the number of Kickstarters that pass 80% funded and still fail is less than 1% of those that reach that threshold at all. A few passionate people will always push it through. I just need to make sure one of them isn't me :)

100k is probably out, but if they were to drop a last minute mini stretch goal at 80 or 90, that's totally doable and could give them a nice boost for the final leg.

[Edit] Apparently I'm psychic

Reading this announcement, I always find it weird when stretch goals are tied to basic gameplay features and not stuff like "if we hit this mark we can hire someone to make better music" or "if we hit this mark we can make better assets"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Al! posted:

Reading this announcement, I always find it weird when stretch goals are tied to basic gameplay features and not stuff like "if we hit this mark we can hire someone to make better music" or "if we hit this mark we can make better assets"

Really? I'd reckon it's easier to visualise features more than the nebulous 'the same but better'.