Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ChetReckless posted:

I get approximately a centimetre thick grey line on my second monitor on the common side, but it goes away after I'm done with the game. The actual game window is fully on my main monitor, its just the greyish line on the second. That's all that happens to me, and its not really much of an issue since I don't have anything on the second monitor occupying that space anyhow.

I get this too, though my thick line is white.

What's interesting is, if I look at a mirror, and the mirror goes off to the left of the screen, there'll be a vertical space (the same size at that thick line) where instead of mirroring the scene properly, it'll take the mirrored scene from the right and horizontally flip it. That's kind of worded weird but I'll take a screenshot later to show what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I've started getting some random crashes on the PS3. I hope it's not my machine, but it seems to be when the game saves sometimes, which worries me. Usually after a drug bust camera arrest it will lock up on the loading screen and I need to reset. I'm still enjoying the game, just worried about how much I'll enjoy it if it corrupts the save and I have to do everything again. I don't think it's my PS3, but I may need to test other games.

I also like it because with the addition of Wei, I'm not the only guy driving around Hong Kong listening to Autechre and Hudson Mohawke full blast. I've always thought that ambient/IDM really fit the feel of the city in a weird way.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

There any way to customize an unlocked outfit on the PC? Part time killer needs some full time awesome sunglasses :argh:

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Davoren posted:

Is there a better way of finding the last few events I'm missing than driving around randomly until I see a yellow icon?

Have you checked the map?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Gaggins posted:

Have you checked the map?
Events suck and you have to be near them to show up. Or with a guide in hand.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I still have a couple of favors and events to do and some collectibles to get, but I don't really feel up to it now that I'm done with the story. It just doesn't feel the same at this point. Instead, I feel like I want to start a new game and experience the whole thing again. :allears:

This game is so good I'm actually considering buying a new gaming computer right now instead of after Christmas like I've planned to. I have to play this with all the graphics maxed out and hopefully less crashing.

Not that there's anything wrong with the way it looks on my laptop:

Force AF16x, the only problem is there is no AF to toggle in the settings which is a crime.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
The most popular Sleeping Dogs screenshot on Steam Community is a closeup of Sandra's butt.

On the other hand, the second most popular one is this:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am here, and I am not here. I love flowers. :geno:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I am here, and I am not here. I love flowers. :geno:
Ah, brother! So true, so true!

That line seriously sounded like something from Pokemon, though. I wish the other fast-talk parts in that section were as good.

Oceanbound posted:

The most popular Sleeping Dogs screenshot on Steam Community is a closeup of Sandra's butt.

On the other hand, the second most popular one is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27mT0IQCTjU

This is like that picture in video form.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I found some pork buns (the Cantonese style, not the Shanghai variety) at the supermarket freezer cabinet - the bun part is disconcertingly sweet next to the pork but they seem decently filling. I have had them before at a yum cha place a few years back but I'd forgotten what they were like.

Not quite the same as getting them in a street from a vendor that cheerfully challenges my masculinity, of course.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo, is Uncle Po the same guy as Covetous Shen?

The Deadly Hume posted:

I found some pork buns (the Cantonese style, not the Shanghai variety) at the supermarket freezer cabinet - the bun part is disconcertingly sweet next to the pork but they seem decently filling. I have had them before at a yum cha place a few years back but I'd forgotten what they were like.

Not quite the same as getting them in a street from a vendor that cheerfully challenges my masculinity, of course.

Ohhh god, if we're discussing Chinese food I cannot stress how loving delicious ma po tofu is. If you ever find a good restaurant that specialized in Szechuan cuisine, I implore you to try it. It's pretty much minced pork and chopped tofu in spicy sauce and green onions, although it varies a whole lot.

I can make it into Chinatown real easily where I live, and I like to go there to get curry beef buns and dim sum and cream cakes and poo poo. It's the most delicious stuff :circlefap:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo, is Uncle Po the same guy as Covetous Shen?
They're both voiced by James Hong, yes.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
James Hong voices every cranky/eccentric old Asian man in everything ever, he is way more than Covetous Shen

bartok
May 10, 2006

So I just discovered that you can knock over guys in motorcycles if you open the door for an action hijack when they are right beside you.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Chunky Delight posted:

So I just discovered that you can knock over guys in motorcycles if you open the door for an action hijack when they are right beside you.
The first and so far only time I tried this, I accidentally pressed the exit car button instead of the action hijack one and proceeded to fly backwards for like 100 meters, flipping all over the place and eventually falling off the highway entirely. :unsmigghh:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
It appears I somehow missed 4 pieces of clothes to complete my set. I checked out the menu list and saw these 4:

Mr. Black
Manhattan Melee
Shen Zen
The Bon Gok

I thought I bought all the clothes from the stores, and I definitely have all the lockboxes open. What's the deal?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cardboard Fox posted:

It appears I somehow missed 4 pieces of clothes to complete my set. I checked out the menu list and saw these 4:

Mr. Black
Manhattan Melee
Shen Zen
The Bon Gok

I thought I bought all the clothes from the stores, and I definitely have all the lockboxes open. What's the deal?

I'm fairly certain these are rewards from completing particular parts of the game, so if you've done a complete playthrough already you might have to redo some missions perhaps?

I'm pretty sure you get The Bon Gok and Manhattan Melee for completing different fight clubs.

Edit: Just looked it up, apparently those four are all from the Fight Clubs, have you not done those yet?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 8, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

By far the best part of this game is the classical station. Makes car wrecks much more enjoyable.

How is pok gai written, anyway?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Puk gai - 仆街

Apparently it essentially means,"I hope you lose EVERYTHING and die alone and poor on the streets." The English equivalent is "drop dead".

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Well that was the original meaning but in practice it has much less impact than that. It's pretty mild compared to other swears. Also you'll see it written as PK online.

To expand on this a bit, if you asked someone in the street what PK meant, they'd probably say "trip over on your face" or something similar, with no death implied.

For another example, sometimes you'll hear a guy yelling "diu" at you. Now that is a very bad swear word, one that you pretty much never hear in real life because if you say it to someone, they could hit you. It's so bad that for a long time there was no way to put it in writing because the word was considered too crude. The equivalent meaning is "gently caress" I guess, but with a pejorative connotation. Sex is more taboo here.

When Winston says "ham ga chan" which the subtitles interpret as "bastard", the literal meaning is "entire family dies". It's also rather uncommon among normal people.

Oceanbound fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 8, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thanks. Was wondering how to write and pronounce most of the stuff I hear in the game...

How does filling your face meter work in gunfights? Getting lots of headshots?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonese_profanity

Yeah, thanks Wikipedia! :tipshat:

Fakebacon
Nov 7, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

Mr. Black
Manhattan Melee
Shen Zen
The Bon Gok

These are the ones you get for completing the fight clubs I think? At least the Shen Zen is.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Just looked it up, apparently those four are all from the Fight Clubs, have you not done those yet?

Fakebacon posted:

These are the ones you get for completing the fight clubs I think? At least the Shen Zen is.

Ahh, I haven't done those yet because I didn't think they gave you anything. Thanks for the replies, I'll check google first in the future.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there any penalty for calling all the different girls' numbers you get in the game? Like, will they get pissed over you two-timing them or can you complete everyone's story in one go?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Cardboard Fox posted:

Ahh, I haven't done those yet because I didn't think they gave you anything. Thanks for the replies, I'll check google first in the future.

Three of those are fight club rewards, but I think you find Mr. Black in a lockbox in North Point. No idea where it is other than I found it pretty early on.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any penalty for calling all the different girls' numbers you get in the game? Like, will they get pissed over you two-timing them or can you complete everyone's story in one go?

I think calling them and meeting up with them as soon as you can is the best way to do it -- it's usually one or two events total and you get a benefit from each one. There's no reason to wait (if someone gets jealous, it's supposed to happen).

Pretty sure Mr. Black is in a lockbox under the freeway in the starting zone, I forget the area name. It's in that spot where Pendrew... shakes things up a bit. You know, demonstrates that he is a man like you, who gets things done.

Gaggins fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 8, 2012

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

James Hong voices every cranky/eccentric old Asian man in everything ever, he is way more than Covetous Shen

"INDEED!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I was also pleased to see James Lew in the game, a.k.a "that guy whose character has been beaten up/killed by pretty much every action star in Hollywood".

And Conan Lee will always have a place in my heart for redeeming the terrible film "Tiger on the Beat" with his performance in the final scenes. I'll just leave these links here, if anyone is curious...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPxVsCITqyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8_dY4rpjOc

Shen Zen, Manhattan Melee, The Bon Gak, and Hog Pen Row outfits are all fight club rewards. Mr. Black is found in a lockbox in North Point but it didn't unlock for me even though I found that lockbox early on. Not sure why it glitched, might play it again to see if I can get it this time.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Yea, I couldn't find the Mr. Black suit. However, I did 100% the game even without it. Seriously guys, if there is anyone out there doubting that this game owns, I'm here to tell you that you are wrong and you need to buy it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I'm pretty sure the Mr black outfit is made up of otherwise obtainable clothing pieces, so you can always make your own anyway.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure the Mr black outfit is made up of otherwise obtainable clothing pieces, so you can always make your own anyway.

It's not. The disheveled look with the half-tucked shirt is unique to that outfit. If you want a cleaner look, though, then yeah, you can probably go to that place in Central that sells suits.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Isn't the top of the Mr. Black outfit just the black hipster jacket you can buy at one of the stores? It has the same disheveled look, as do all the hipster jackets. I wore the red one for a good part of the game because I thought the Lady Killer set would actually do something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I thought the Lady Killer set would actually do something.

Who needs the Lady Killer set when you can just have a pork bun in your hand? :colbert:

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
Is there a way to holster a gun in this game short of jumping into/getting right back out of a car?

This game got me to get Saints Row 3 to play after I finish this a second time. Hopefully that's as good as this one.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

gaxsezu posted:

Is there a way to holster a gun in this game short of jumping into/getting right back out of a car?

This game got me to get Saints Row 3 to play after I finish this a second time. Hopefully that's as good as this one.

Dpad down. Holding that down also lets you drop melee weapons.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Who needs the Lady Killer set when you can just have a pork bun in your hand? :colbert:
If this game has taught me anything, it is the fact that I am not a whole man unless I've eaten a pork bun. I wonder if the only Chinese restaurant in my town serves them.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008

K8.0 posted:

Dpad down. Holding that down also lets you drop melee weapons.

Is there a way to do if you're using a keyboard, as I don't have a controller? I guess I haven't tried just pressing the Down Arrow key instead of holding it like I have been.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

gaxsezu posted:

Is there a way to do if you're using a keyboard, as I don't have a controller?
The down arrow key is the default keybind for doing so. Make sure you just tap it once and don't hold it, plus you can only holster handguns.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Also worth mentioning if you are holding a pistol and pick up a rifle you automatically holster your pistol, so you still have it if you run out of shotgun shells or whatever.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Isn't the top of the Mr. Black outfit just the black hipster jacket you can buy at one of the stores? It has the same disheveled look, as do all the hipster jackets. I wore the red one for a good part of the game because I thought the Lady Killer set would actually do something.

Yeah those 'Lady Killer' tops that aren't the leather jacket are either the exact same mesh and texture or extremely similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
The "Lady Killer" set is also worthless so feel free to not worry about it at all.

edit - thanks for the help guys, I can't believe I cleared the game once without knowing how to do this

gaxsezu fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 8, 2012

• Locked thread