Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Francostein posted:

I remember hearing this one day but due to the nature of the question I'm having trouble remembering it. I heard that around Boston and in other parts of the northeast, an "Irish Car Bomb" drink is called something else because it's offensive to the Irish. Also that if you ask for one at a bar you're nearly asking for a fight. But for the life of me I can't remember what the PC name is called. Does anyone know what they're called?

Depth charge, maybe? Also don't ever ask for a black and tan at an authentic Irish bar unless you like getting thrown out of places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

stubblyhead posted:

Depth charge, maybe? Also don't ever ask for a black and tan at an authentic Irish bar unless you like getting thrown out of places.

Could be. I recall it having another cutsey name but various drink mixing sites say it's a type of depth charge so I still don't know if it has another special name and I was just putting too much faith in drunk talk.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
edit: ^^^ I believe it involves dropping a shot of Jameson's(?) into a pint of Guinness. It might incorporate Bailey's Irish cream somehow?

FCKGW posted:

Go in add/remove programs and remove those as well then.

I'm a fan of Revo Uninstaller when it comes down to programs that seem like the auto-uninstall is probably going to leave some stuff behind.

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 8, 2012

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

syscall girl posted:

edit: ^^^ I believe it involves dropping a shot of Jameson's(?) into a pint of Guinness. It might incorporate Bailey's Irish cream somehow?

That's what the drink is, 1/2 shot Jameson 1/2 shot Baileys in the same shot glass dropped into a glass of Guinness. I was just wondering if it had another name due to it's normal name being offensive to some people.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Are the budget car rental places so different from the "top" 3 or 4 by like 300% because they get it back in fees and whatnot or are they so much cheaper because of locations, overhead, and real-estate?

I was looking and there were like 8 @ 20$ a day and the "recognized ones" like Avis and Hertz were 60$ for the same class of car.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Francostein posted:

That's what the drink is, 1/2 shot Jameson 1/2 shot Baileys in the same shot glass dropped into a glass of Guinness. I was just wondering if it had another name due to it's normal name being offensive to some people.

Wow, this is actually a hotly debated subject:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-irish-car-bomb.htm
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090226053454AAkle5m
http://www.irishcentral.com/news/US-bars-slammed-for-serving-Irish-car-bomb-drink-97791774.html

I thought I was going to find a real answer but apparently not.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Irish Central posted:

Willie Frazer, a spokesman for the group said “It is disgusting that IRA car bombs which killed and maimed so many in Northern Ireland are being trivialized or celebrated in this way.

"I would have expected Americans, of all people, to behave more sensitively and responsibly. How would they like it if we developed the Al-Qaeda car bomb, the Twin Towers cocktail, or the 9/11 ice-cream sundae?"

:cawg:

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

In the election news I see polls stating that so and so received a 3 point bump. What is a point, is it basically a fancy way of saying percent?

Yes. It's a change of three (percentage) points.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Gravity Pike posted:

Yes. It's a change of three (percentage) points.

Color me stupid. I always thought they were talking about decimals.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Theoretically they are if you consider all percentages as numbers between 0 and 1

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Are the budget car rental places so different from the "top" 3 or 4 by like 300% because they get it back in fees and whatnot or are they so much cheaper because of locations, overhead, and real-estate?

I was looking and there were like 8 @ 20$ a day and the "recognized ones" like Avis and Hertz were 60$ for the same class of car.

The difference is most of the smaller places use cars that are older and with more miles (in some cases a lot older with a lot more miles) and usually have had previous owners. Also, not all the small places are going to be able to replace your car in the middle of the desert two states away if it breaks down (although some of them can via cooperative networks, but best to ask first). Also, it can be kind of hard as a stranger in a strange place to hand over your credit card or put down a large deposit in a city you don't live in to a business that can be run by people who are sometimes kind of shady. But, for a local rental I have rolled the dice and not had a problem.

Hertz and Avis are really expensive though just in general. Enterprise seems to be closer to the small guys, with the features of the big guys, in my experience. Even when I had a 20% discount via my job, it was still much cheaper to go with Enterprise over Hertz.

Rick fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 8, 2012

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=infLrZjJpNc

Who is the white guy standing in front of OJ that is shocked and disgusted with himself for helping a murderer be deemed Not Guilty?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ProperCoochie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=infLrZjJpNc

Who is the white guy standing in front of OJ that is shocked and disgusted with himself for helping a murderer be deemed Not Guilty?

If you're referring to the 50ish guy with glasses and grey hair, I think that's Robert Kardashian (yes, those Kardashians).

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Anyone know the brand/name of this TV stand? Picked it up for free and want to figure out how to mount my TV to it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

What is a good pair of athletic shoes?

My job requires me to stand around all day and it's killing my feet. I need just a black pair of athletic shoes that I can run around in and not have my feet ache the rest of the day and my ankles swell.

Also, what is a good online store that sells Hookahs?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Too Poetic posted:

Also, what is a good online store that sells Hookahs?
Hookah Shisha is good. So is Hookah Company. If you're going to smoke regularly get a Mya.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross post from the Windows software thread. I'm after an online backup solution. I have about 60-100Gb of files that I would like to backup for one Windows computer (possibly another Mac in the future also). It needs to have pretty adjustable software and be able to do automated backups. Does something like this exist?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I don't think I made myself clear earlier.

When I go to bed, I feel somewhat more anxious. I feel nervous and my worries weigh a little heavier on my mind. It's not an anxiety attack, because I'm not sweating and my heart isn't pounding and I'm not short of breath. I just feel a little more on edge. The feelings subside as soon as a I get up and walk about a bit.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Cross post from the Windows software thread. I'm after an online backup solution. I have about 60-100Gb of files that I would like to backup for one Windows computer (possibly another Mac in the future also). It needs to have pretty adjustable software and be able to do automated backups. Does something like this exist?

There's lots of stuff out there. Look into Dropbox, Spideroak or Carbonite and see if any of them offer what you're looking for. Looks like $10/mo. is the price point for 100 GB of space.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

stubblyhead posted:

There's lots of stuff out there. Look into Dropbox, Spideroak or Carbonite and see if any of them offer what you're looking for. Looks like $10/mo. is the price point for 100 GB of space.

Yeah I'm doing the CrashPlan trial. It seems to be the cheapest and has the most options.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah I'm doing the CrashPlan trial. It seems to be the cheapest and has the most options.

Crashplan is great. I have all my PCs backing up to my server via Crashplan and then the server backing up to Crashplan central.

You can even mail them a hard drive with your data if you want to seed it faster.

Yoosetsu
May 17, 2012

God knows what he's doin'
He wrote this book here and the book says, "He made us all to be just like him"
So, if we're dumb, then god is dumb and maybe even a little ugly on the side
F.Z.

Red_Fred posted:

Would "syncBack" be of any help to you ?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
How do you pronounce "Sino"? The context would be "The Second Sino-Japanese War."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I have an old external hard drive that finally started giving me the Click of Death. I would like to nuke the data on it before I send it to recycling. How do I do that if the computers can't even read the drive?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Lance Streetman posted:

How do you pronounce "Sino"? The context would be "The Second Sino-Japanese War."

Sigh+no, I believe. Rhymes with rhino, no "h" sound hiding in there.

My own question: A month and a half ago I fell in the shower and bent my left index finger bad enough to cause lingering pain. Had an x-ray done two weeks later and found nothing, they suggested it was just badly sprained, but it still hurts pretty bad between the first two knuckles, though only when being bent beyond a certain range. It doesn't hurt at rest or when typing. Unfortunately I haven't been able to keep it in a buddy splint because I code for a living, so I've been using it pretty much constantly. But now I'm starting to worry that I've done permanent damage because it still hurts. Does that happen that fast? Will my pain ever go away? Am I just going to have to suck it up and splint it for a week and type one-handed?

edit: vvv That might work too, I thought of the question as "Sino" in opposition to the "ch" sound you find in China and where that went.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 9, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Lance Streetman posted:

I've always heard "sigh"-"no", but wikitionary suggests "sin"-"no" (no pause; a single n sound) is also acceptable.

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I have an old external hard drive that finally started giving me the Click of Death. I would like to nuke the data on it before I send it to recycling. How do I do that if the computers can't even read the drive?

1/4" drill bit.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Mak0rz posted:

You could find someone with a HDD Deguasser if you REALLY have to be sure, but after being drilled or smashed it's so difficult to get the data off that unless you're holding evidence for a mult-billion dollar embezzelment lawsuit you're fine.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

jeremiah johnson posted:

1/4" drill bit.

EFB: Great minds think alike.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Golbez posted:

My own question: A month and a half ago I fell in the shower and bent my left index finger bad enough to cause lingering pain. Had an x-ray done two weeks later and found nothing, they suggested it was just badly sprained, but it still hurts pretty bad between the first two knuckles, though only when being bent beyond a certain range. It doesn't hurt at rest or when typing. Unfortunately I haven't been able to keep it in a buddy splint because I code for a living, so I've been using it pretty much constantly. But now I'm starting to worry that I've done permanent damage because it still hurts. Does that happen that fast? Will my pain ever go away? Am I just going to have to suck it up and splint it for a week and type one-handed?

A sprain means you've injured a ligament by stretching it too far. Ligaments are very slow to heal because they don't have a lot of vasculature. It's not that unusual to have lingering pain for months from something like this, and it should eventually go away if you don't put too much strain on it. I'm not sure how much your job affects this, but if you're concerned about your ability to continue working you should definitely go back to the doctor and get more advice.

At this stage I wouldn't worry about it too much, what you've described isn't that unusual.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

TheGame posted:

A sprain means you've injured a ligament by stretching it too far. Ligaments are very slow to heal because they don't have a lot of vasculature. It's not that unusual to have lingering pain for months from something like this, and it should eventually go away if you don't put too much strain on it. I'm not sure how much your job affects this, but if you're concerned about your ability to continue working you should definitely go back to the doctor and get more advice.

At this stage I wouldn't worry about it too much, what you've described isn't that unusual.

That works for me. I was just getting terrified that I'd done permanent damage. Thanks.

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
I'm thinking of picking up ASL during what free time I have. What are some good starting resources?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Zotwoz posted:

I'm thinking of picking up ASL during what free time I have. What are some good starting resources?

There are a couple of resources in this archived ASL thread and some people practicing with eachother in the language learning thread, but I don't know if there's an ideal "ASL class from home" type thing.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Mak0rz posted:

Or if you need to be really sure, take the platter out and use sand paper to remove everything.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Or if you need to be really sure, take the platter out and use sand paper to remove everything.

Thermite.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
alright this is a long shot, and I've been trying to google it for an hour.

In San Diego, there is one particular voice over actor for practically all the radio commercials on 91x. His voice is super smarmy, and I don't know how he ever got the job. He does a majority of the local commercial work, as well as the Mandated Mexican public service ads required when you broadcast out of Mexico.

I don't know how to describe his voice, besides to say that it kind of sounds like a super douchey black dude who unnecessarily stretches out his syllables and emphasizes weird parts of words. I don't know if he's really black or not.

God I swear if you listened to 91x or 949 you'd know exactly who I was talking about. Please help me find this guy's name. I'd love to attach a face to focus my hate on.

Edit: The first audio clip on this terrible lovely article has him talking at the beginning, this is the only sample I could find http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/mar/11/public-service-spots-have-radio-listeners/

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 10, 2012

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Why aren't OTA broadcast channels available live online for streaming? Thees channels are already free with an antenna, why not make it easier and just transmit over the internet? I'm talking the exact same feed, with commercials, no DVR capabilities (no rewind, pause, etc.).

The rabbit-ears industry can't have that much power, can it? What other market would this possibly cut into? Wouldn't it just increase viewership, leading to channels making being able to sell ads at a higher price? Wouldn't everybody win?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mancalamania posted:

Why aren't OTA broadcast channels available live online for streaming? Thees channels are already free with an antenna, why not make it easier and just transmit over the internet? I'm talking the exact same feed, with commercials, no DVR capabilities (no rewind, pause, etc.).

The rabbit-ears industry can't have that much power, can it? What other market would this possibly cut into? Wouldn't it just increase viewership, leading to channels making being able to sell ads at a higher price? Wouldn't everybody win?
Get tunein radio. It's well worth the buck or two and it has everything. There's a free version with non-obtrusive ads and limited recording if you're cheap.

Edit: sorry I thought you meant radio not video, there are tv streaming apps like tv.com and such but I can't recommend anyone in particular as I don't watch any live tv.

randyest fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 10, 2012

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
What happens if someone murders another person on the ISS?

Who prosecutes the murderer? Where do they put the body? Would they draw up a plan to get the murderer down as quickly as possible, or would they just wait until the next flight goes up sometime? What happens to the murderer, would the rest of the crew have to restrain the person?

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

mancalamania posted:

Local television stations have the broadcast rights to distribute the signal in their area. Streaming their content to different parts of the country gets meesy with regards to broadcast rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Sometimes after I pee there is a little bit of urine left in my peepee and when I return him to my underwear a little drop seeps out. It wasn't always a problem but being nearly 30 I notice it's become worse than it was, will it continue to get worse and are there strategies to avoid this, I've tried shaking my johnson vigorously and even pinching it at the base and squeezing it like a toothpaste tube that I want to get the last amount of toothpaste out of.
This still isn't improving things for me and I don't want to smell of pee or have damp undies, what should I do?