Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Molten Llama posted:

I'm not familiar with Canadian practices and code, but in the US it would be highly possible the kitchen is protected by a GFCI located outside the kitchen. Whatever the kitchen adjoins, scope out walls there for GFCIs.

Around here, for example, 80s/90s-era garages typically adjoin the kitchen, so it's common to have a GFCI-protected garage circuit and a GFCI-protected kitchen circuit originating in the garage. (Bizarrely, one of our bathroom GFCI circuits—which is nowhere near the garage—also originates in the garage, leading me to believe they just crammed every GFCI they could into the garage for some nebulous time-saving purpose.)

More like to save cost. GFCIs are expensive, while copper was probably cheap then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

kid sinister posted:

More like to save cost. GFCIs are expensive, while copper was probably cheap then.

It's still the same number of GFCI receptacles (3 receptacles for 3 branch circuits), they're just all installed in the garage.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Molten Llama posted:

It's still the same number of GFCI receptacles (3 receptacles for 3 branch circuits), they're just all installed in the garage.

That's... odd.

insanity74
Mar 2, 2005

With a simple point and shoot interface, even the most coordination-challenged geek can use it effectively.

zergstain posted:

I happen to be in Ontario, so the NEC wouldn't exactly apply. Maybe that requirement was introduced later (if at all) in the Canadian code, as well as adopted late.

Or they cheaped out. That is certainly the overal theme of this place.

The allowance for GFCI was adopted somewhat recently (2006 code, maybe?). It took so long to get here because the code called for 20 amp outlets in the kitchen, with each half of the outlet coming from a different circuit. Confused the hell out of me when I first came across that.

From the people I've talked to, this decision had something to do with the amount of power kitchen appliances normally draw, and the fact that 20 amp GFCIs weren't readily available. I've never had that confirmed, thoguh.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Molten Llama posted:

Around here, for example, 80s/90s-era garages typically adjoin the kitchen, so it's common to have a GFCI-protected garage circuit and a GFCI-protected kitchen circuit originating in the garage. (Bizarrely, one of our bathroom GFCI circuits—which is nowhere near the garage—also originates in the garage, leading me to believe they just crammed every GFCI they could into the garage for some nebulous time-saving purpose.)

In the house I'm in now, the garage GFCI handles the 2 original outside outlets (but not the ones added later). There's a GFCI in the master closet that handles the outlets in both bathrooms, and also the garden tub.

The house was wired with an alarm - with the panel in the same closet. So there's actually two outlets in that closet. I guess in case you need to vacuum the closet? :iiam:

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

insanity74 posted:

The allowance for GFCI was adopted somewhat recently (2006 code, maybe?). It took so long to get here because the code called for 20 amp outlets in the kitchen, with each half of the outlet coming from a different circuit. Confused the hell out of me when I first came across that.

From the people I've talked to, this decision had something to do with the amount of power kitchen appliances normally draw, and the fact that 20 amp GFCIs weren't readily available. I've never had that confirmed, thoguh.

There's only one GFCI inside, and one outside here. The inside one is in a bathroom, and it seems to protect the outlets in the remaining bathrooms, and the outside one seems to protect the one on the opposite side of the house. Kind of annoying if one of them trips.

Also, all the kitchen outlets appear to be 15 amp, was the 20 amp thing introduced after 1996? And the panel seems to have a bunch of 2-pole breakers labeled "kitchen plugs", maybe one for each receptacle. Is it likely the top outlet is wired to one pole, and the bottom to the other so that 2 high current appliances can safely be plugged in the same receptacle?

How many fridges and microwaves actually have a 20 amp plug? I've never found any.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

zergstain posted:

There's only one GFCI inside, and one outside here. The inside one is in a bathroom, and it seems to protect the outlets in the remaining bathrooms, and the outside one seems to protect the one on the opposite side of the house. Kind of annoying if one of them trips.

Also, all the kitchen outlets appear to be 15 amp, was the 20 amp thing introduced after 1996? And the panel seems to have a bunch of 2-pole breakers labeled "kitchen plugs", maybe one for each receptacle. Is it likely the top outlet is wired to one pole, and the bottom to the other so that 2 high current appliances can safely be plugged in the same receptacle?

How many fridges and microwaves actually have a 20 amp plug? I've never found any.

15A receptacles are allowed to be installed on 20A circuits. 20A plugs are for devices that themselves need 15-20A of power. The reason for requiring the whole circuit to be 20A is due to the amount of appliances with big draws that are plugged into that circuit: fridge, microwave, blender, toaster, etc.

And those probably aren't 2-pole breakers, but are tandem breakers. The only things in a kitchen that would take a 2-pole breaker are ovens and ranges.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

kid sinister posted:

15A receptacles are allowed to be installed on 20A circuits. 20A plugs are for devices that themselves need 15-20A of power. The reason for requiring the whole circuit to be 20A is due to the amount of appliances with big draws that are plugged into that circuit: fridge, microwave, blender, toaster, etc.

And those probably aren't 2-pole breakers, but are tandem breakers. The only things in a kitchen that would take a 2-pole breaker are ovens and ranges.

None of the kitchen circuits are anything other than 15 amp, except the stove of course, unless that 15 on the breaker switches doesn't mean what I think it means. These take up 2 slots on the panel, and have 2 handles which are joined together. Am I not describing 2-pole breakers?

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

you are. it's weird in my experience if they are original to the house and tied together like that. current code says that 3-wire circuits (or 2 circuits that share a neutral) are required to be disconnected at the same time (so 2 20A circuits that are "tied" together so they can be shut off at the same time) but i've never seen a house from that era do it that way. could be regional though. i know around here houses from the 80s/early 90s-ish had all the bathroom plugs controlled by a GFI in the garage. and around that era up until recently it was very common to pull a 12-3 home-run to the fridge outlet and split off of it to create both kitchen appliance circuits..it still is but now it requires those to circuits to be tied together since they share a neutral..

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don't know anything about electrical work, but my friend on facebook is boasting about his handywork and cost savings on Facebook. Does anything he's doing look right or am I expecting and update from the ICU shortly?

Grounding was broken in this outlet so he ran a grounding wire to the next closest outlet

Someone told him it looked like crap so he "fixed it"

He also bought a Nissan Leaf and installed the charger himself, it may or may not be related to that outlet.

quote:

License Electrician wanted to charge me $400 for installation, and I did this for only $8.88 Outlet + $3.40 ground wire

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Yeah, that's not legal; looking like poo poo is the least of his problems! Why doesn't he just take down the pegboard and do it right and avoid potentially ruining his car or killing himself?

You can see a ground wire run into the front of the exposed box he jerry-rigged the charger to, so that's a safe bet. Please tell me he didn't replace the 15/20A breaker on the circuit with a 30A...

grover fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 2, 2012

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

grover posted:

Yeah, that's not legal; looking like poo poo is the least of his problems! Why doesn't he just take down the pegboard and do it right and avoid potentially ruining his car or killing himself?

You can see a ground wire run into the front of the exposed box he jerry-rigged the charger to, so that's a safe bet. Please tell me he didn't replace the 15/20A breaker on the circuit with a 30A...

Don't forget that if it burns his house down (a real possibility), there is now public-domain evidence that would squelch any insurance claim.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Those pictures look like they are from the "burn your house down thread " the therifixedit Jerry rig awards

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I was thinking of useing Carlon blue bendable conduit for wiring some outlets in my garage, as it's easier to use then the metal conduit.

Are they any rules against this?
Good idea or bad idea?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Papercut posted:

Don't forget that if it burns his house down (a real possibility), there is now public-domain evidence that would squelch any insurance claim.

Nah...we'd pay it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

daslog posted:

I was thinking of useing Carlon blue bendable conduit for wiring some outlets in my garage, as it's easier to use then the metal conduit.

Are they any rules against this?
Good idea or bad idea?
Generally speaking, if it's an application you'd use smurf tube for, it would be easier to just use romex. If you're worried about damage, you probably want to use EMT or RC instead.

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

yeah i agree. we tend to use smurf for in wall low voltage applications and pretty much nothing else. instead of smurf, if you can't get it in the walls, 1/2" FMC "flex" works well. it's not too much of a pain in the rear end to work with and it looks a hell of a lot better than bright blue conduit everywhere.

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

I will munch on your endocrine system
I just bought a house and I had an inspection done, but I think the inspector might have missed something. Im in Saskatchewan, Canada.
The house was built in 1980 and has a 100A panel. The ground wire goes to a nearby internal water pipe, and then about 5m down the pipe run (over a couple of junctions) there is another clamp with a ground wire jumping the water meter to the incoming water main.
Also, where the first clamp joins the internal water pipe, there is a second wire going to the incoming gas main. The gas main is not buried in the ground, it goes up through the wall from the basement to the outside meter. I didn't check, but I don't think there is a wire jumping the gas meter.
The wire to the gas main is a lot shorter than the path to the water main.
This seems dangerous to me, but I'm not familiar with the Canadian electrical code. Can someone advise?

edit.. sp.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

FCKGW posted:

He also bought a Nissan Leaf and installed the charger himself, it may or may not be related to that outlet.

I like how the enormous fat power cord seems to be powered by 14/2.

I am surprised there's no speaker cable.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

FCKGW posted:

I don't know anything about electrical work, but my friend on facebook is boasting about his handywork and cost savings on Facebook. Does anything he's doing look right or am I expecting and update from the ICU shortly?

Grounding was broken in this outlet so he ran a grounding wire to the next closest outlet

Someone told him it looked like crap so he "fixed it"

How can someone look at this and be satisfied?! If you can afford a new car, you can afford an electrician for a couple hours. This is just stupidity!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dwoloz posted:

How can someone look at this and be satisfied?! If you can afford a new car, you can afford an electrician for a couple hours. This is just stupidity!

Little Caesars is his favorite pizza and he wears the clothes he got from his grandpa's funeral to work everyday. He's a rather thrifty fellow.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

He can't afford two loving screws to fix the box to a stud, or $1.35 for a cover for the receptacle box he turned into a junction box?

Some things, you just don't cut corners on.

(edit) and if that's the same pegboard with the receptacle in it, then he's just lazy. Wouldn't take an hour to properly run some 12/2 behind that open wall.

(edit2) then again, people like him keep me in car parts...

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 3, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

JimbobDobalina posted:

I just bought a house and I had an inspection done, but I think the inspector might have missed something. Im in Saskatchewan, Canada.
The house was built in 1980 and has a 100A panel. The ground wire goes to a nearby internal water pipe, and then about 5m down the pipe run (over a couple of junctions) there is another clamp with a ground wire jumping the water meter to the incoming water main.
Also, where the first clamp joins the internal water pipe, there is a second wire going to the incoming gas main. The gas main is not buried in the ground, it goes up through the wall from the basement to the outside meter. I didn't check, but I don't think there is a wire jumping the gas meter.
The wire to the gas main is a lot shorter than the path to the water main.
This seems dangerous to me, but I'm not familiar with the Canadian electrical code. Can someone advise?

edit.. sp.

US electrician, but this grounding seems legit to me. You want your ground going straight to the water where it emerges from dirt, bonding around the water meter. You want your metal piping inside the house bonded. You don't want gas lines outside the house used as a ground path.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
There is the potential for a gas line to become energized (seems slim chance but I suppose possible) and if it does, you want it to be grounded so your circuit breaker (will hopefully) trip

What I wonder though is a) if an energized gas line can cause an explosion and b) how long would it need to be energized for.

Also on grounding, code requires two grounds. One is usually the water and the other a ground rod

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

dwoloz posted:

What I wonder though is a) if an energized gas line can cause an explosion and b) how long would it need to be energized for.
As long as it takes to spark! Shouldn't be a problem so long as gas stays in the line and air stays out, even if it did spark, but a leak + spark = bad news.

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

So I'm not totally clear on a couple of things:
You say the metal pipes inside the house should be bonded, which they are, but is it ok to use them as the earth path? There is no way to ground from the panel except via the internal water pipes (or the gas pipes).

I would have thought a better arrangement would be a ground wire from the panel direct to the water main, with a link to the internal pipes would be better.

With the gas main bonded to earth, is this a hazard if it were to become live in a fault event? There shouldn't be arcing, right?

If I we're to sink a ground rod, where is a good place to do so? Are there any regulations about how far from the panel the rod can be? Is there a special technique for burying one?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

JimbobDobalina posted:

So I'm not totally clear on a couple of things:
You say the metal pipes inside the house should be bonded, which they are, but is it ok to use them as the earth path? There is no way to ground from the panel except via the internal water pipes (or the gas pipes).

I would have thought a better arrangement would be a ground wire from the panel direct to the water main, with a link to the internal pipes would be better.

With the gas main bonded to earth, is this a hazard if it were to become live in a fault event? There shouldn't be arcing, right?

If I we're to sink a ground rod, where is a good place to do so? Are there any regulations about how far from the panel the rod can be? Is there a special technique for burying one?
In the US, NEC allows several methods for a grounding electrode. One thing they all have in common is a lot of surface area with the earth. It can be a copper pipe, a ground rod, ring of thick copper wire, bonded rebar in a concrete foundation, and several other methods. The most common is using a copper water main because it's already there and safe and works well. The bond needs to be made as close as possible to where the water pipe enters the home; the pipes themselves should not be used as ground wires.

Everything metal in your house should be grounded, including copper water pipes and gas lines. This is to ensure everything conductive in the house (especially when it's exposed) is at ground potential so that if there is a short circuit, it will quickly trip the breaker and not prevent a shock hazard.

Code may be different for UK, though.

dwoloz posted:

Also on grounding, code requires two grounds. One is usually the water and the other a ground rod
Actually, one or the other is usually OK. You'd only need both if the soil is poor.

grover fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 4, 2012

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

So a better way to wire it would be to connect the internal water and gas pipes to the panel ground, then the panel ground directly to the incoming water main?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

JimbobDobalina posted:

So a better way to wire it would be to connect the internal water and gas pipes to the panel ground, then the panel ground directly to the incoming water main?
The main panel ground wire is called the GEC or grounding electrode conductor, and has some restrictions; it needs to be a single unbroken path directly from the ground bar in the panel to an approved type of bond with grounding electrode, and it needs to be a minimum #6 copper. The other ground wires just need to be solidly bonded to ground, but the "how" isn't quite so stringent. There are a lot of little rules and caveats, and it's difficult for us to cover them here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

When I replaced my panel here in southern New Jersey, I was required to have two 6' copper - clad rods at least six feet away from each other sunk fully into the ground and each connected separately (not in series) to the panel's ground as well as the collar between the panel and the separate 100A disconnect panel.

The original ground was the 1" copper water main from the street into my house, which was deemed insufficient due to the sandy soil in my area.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

grover posted:

Actually, one or the other is usually OK. You'd only need both if the soil is poor.

Hm, must be a local requirement then. Inspector required two

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

grover posted:

The main panel ground wire is called the GEC or grounding electrode conductor, and has some restrictions; it needs to be a single unbroken path directly from the ground bar in the panel to an approved type of bond with grounding electrode, and it needs to be a minimum #6 copper. The other ground wires just need to be solidly bonded to ground, but the "how" isn't quite so stringent. There are a lot of little rules and caveats, and it's difficult for us to cover them here.

Thanks, the unbroken path was what I was thinking of, but didn't know the correct term. That will be a lot better than the current setup. I've got some other work to do on the panel soon, so I'll change it up then. I'm kind of surprised the inspector missed it, but I've since seen several other things he missed too. $350 not very well spent...

Incidentally, is it possible for a regular person to get a copy of whatever code book is used here, and where would I find one? I've seen small homeowners guides at local hardware stores, but I'd like to get the real deal if possible.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

JimbobDobalina posted:

Thanks, the unbroken path was what I was thinking of, but didn't know the correct term. That will be a lot better than the current setup. I've got some other work to do on the panel soon, so I'll change it up then. I'm kind of surprised the inspector missed it, but I've since seen several other things he missed too. $350 not very well spent...

Incidentally, is it possible for a regular person to get a copy of whatever code book is used here, and where would I find one? I've seen small homeowners guides at local hardware stores, but I'd like to get the real deal if possible.
You need to check with your locality to see what code they've adopted, but if you're in the US, it's almost certainly the National Electric Code (NFPA 70). The latest version is rather expensive to purchase, but can be viewed for free online (registration required). If you're going to buy a code book, I'd recommend International Residential Code, which includes all relevant portions of NEC within the IRC's electrical section, as well as a lot of other good stuff you'll need as a homeowner.

http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/list_of_codes_and_standards.asp

grover fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 5, 2012

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

JimbobDobalina posted:

Incidentally, is it possible for a regular person to get a copy of whatever code book is used here, and where would I find one?

Have you tried your local library? That's a good way to get a cheap peek at the NEC here in the states.

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

do any of you guys who work in the field have experience with the lutron RadioRa 2 lighting controls? there is a ton of information on programming the unit but not on the actual line voltage installation of it. the guy we have contracted out to do the low voltage tried to explain it but he doesn't speak our "lingo" and i haven't seen any of the rough-in material for it yet. anyway if you have experience with it PM me, i need to pick someone's brain about it..

crocodile fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 6, 2012

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Inspector came today and told me I needed to put drywall or other protective means to cover the NM runs on the side of joists in the unfinished basement. Doesn't seem right to me but maybe Im missing something. I dont know if its worth contesting it though, it would be easy to put up a few small strips of drywall to satisfy this guy
He also wanted "guards" on the sides of running boards in the crawlspace area. I dont see anything in NEC that requires this either.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

dwoloz posted:

Inspector came today and told me I needed to put drywall or other protective means to cover the NM runs on the side of joists in the unfinished basement. Doesn't seem right to me but maybe Im missing something. I dont know if its worth contesting it though, it would be easy to put up a few small strips of drywall to satisfy this guy
He also wanted "guards" on the sides of running boards in the crawlspace area. I dont see anything in NEC that requires this either.
This falls under "subject to physical damage" and is at the whim of the AHJ as to what they consider subject to physical damage. Sorry!

GreenTrench
Jun 19, 2004

Has anyone seen me?

dwoloz posted:

Technically, you only need one ground rod if you can show that the resistance to ground is less than 40 Ohms. Otherwise, you need to sink another ground rod in a minimum of 6' away. However, it's far easier to to sink another ground rod and that's why a lot of inspectors will always say drive two ground rods.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I saw some bullshit on About.com that said the NEC only allows GFCI outlets in bathrooms. That can't be right, right? I wanted to wire one up on my reef tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

revmoo posted:

I saw some bullshit on About.com that said the NEC only allows GFCI outlets in bathrooms. That can't be right, right? I wanted to wire one up on my reef tank.
Only gfcis are allowed in bathrooms. They are not only allowed in bathrooms.