Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny

Good, this is an example of a valid response. I support this action by the administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some historical context is important here. Following WWII, with so much of the population either directly or indirectly involved with the Nazi regime, it was impossible to try or imprison all Nazi sympathizers. Many Nazis were still in powerful political positions in the new German government. Without other recourse the German government did the best they could to combat Nazism; they banned it by passing hate speech laws, which was an important action for Germany following WWII. The US is not Germany, freedom of speech is an important tenant of american culture, and we don't go banning it for fear of angering religious extremists, and in fact these attacks on innocent people following benign anti-muslim speech and media are quite ironic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Origami Dali posted:

I can't believe people in here are actually trying to square the circle of being able to keep free speech while criminalizing those who produce subversive art (however poor the quality).

Free speech? Freedom is the recognition of necessity.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
In case this wasn't posted here yet, as per an ingame broadcast, Obama is going to adress the press shortly: http://www.whitehouse.gov/live/president-obama-speaks-press-54

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

Forums Terrorist posted:

If it gets people killed, yeah.

That's absurd. It takes agency away from the killers.

Magpie13
Jun 30, 2004

So, Are there going to be a bunch of 'copycat' videos posted for spite/revenge? Like all the Muhammad cartoons drawn after the Danish uproar.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I'm not saying you'd be the only person tried. Christ, why does everyone do this?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Magpie13 posted:

So, Are there going to be a bunch of 'copycat' videos posted for spite/revenge? Like all the Muhammad cartoons drawn after the Danish uproar.

It might be hard when the original film is already a cartoon meant to provoke people.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Arzy posted:

Good, this is an example of a valid response. I support this action by the administration.
How magnanimous of you!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

steinrokkan posted:

Free speech? Freedom is the recognition of necessity.

If speech were oil, this would actually make sense.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Forums Terrorist posted:

I'm not saying you'd be the only person tried. Christ, why does everyone do this?

I didn't say that you said that. But, there is an allotment of responsibility, and by blaming some lovely "artist," partially for the deaths, you take away some of the agency from the killers themselves. There's no way around that.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My condolences to Vilerat's family.

Honestly I don't know what to do about anti-Islam morons, they seem trapped in a dangerous feedback loop with Radical Islamists. Any attempt at education is perceived as indoctrination.

http://youtu.be/bRwXrcz-F9M

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

rscott posted:

Where are the posts that you're railing against removing agency from the people who committed these crimes?

Describing these murderers as a "bomb", predictably waiting to be set off by some detonation by an "irresponsible Westerner" is a completely self-evident attempt to strip agency from the people who committed the crime.

It's also functionally the same (and ironic, to me) to religious fundamentalists who claim that we shouldn't discount the role of the woman in the tight niqab when dealing out responsibility for street harassment of women.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Arzy posted:

Why would you want to provide the extremists with more targets ? There will be a suicide bomber attack within days, ending with either a bunch of dead marines or a Libyan killed by Americans. Both are a big victory for the extremists.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

*pedant*

Dolphin posted:

The US is not Germany, freedom of speech is an important tenet of american culture,

Anyway, this attribution of blame discussion isn't heading anywhere. Could we have some more info about local and general reaction, for example, rather than people talking at or past each other.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I spent all day today trying to find out the names of the other three people killed.

I really wish I hadn't.

RIP Sean Smith. I'm so sorry.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Forums Terrorist posted:

Please don't think I'm being patronizing, but I am genuinely curious: Are you old enough to remember the Ice T single 'Cop Killa'?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I didn't say that you said that. But, there is an allotment of responsibility, and by blaming some lovely "artist," partially for the deaths, you take away some of the agency from the killers themselves. There's no way around that.

Agency isn't some finite resource, you can say "the guys who killed these people are responsible, and so is the idiot who made a video to mock and degrade them."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Origami Dali posted:

If speech were oil, this would actually make sense.

Umm... What? Recognizing arbitrary freedom as it relates to substantial forms of human nature has nothing to do with freedom as a commodity or whatever you were trying to say.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

I'd imagine that the ROE for guards must be ridiculously restrictive.
For a bit of background I was an Marine Security Guard (MSG) from 2002 to 2005. The MSG are the Marines stationed at various embassies around the world.

Note: Everything that I type here is public knowledge, so I'm not giving anything away or violating OPSEC or whatever.

When somebody joins the MSG battalion and is stationed at an embassy/consulate they are under the operational command of the State Department and not the Marine Corps. The chain of command works like this:

Ambassador/Chief of Mission
Deputy Chief of Mission
Regional Security Officer (State Department security dude)
Marine Detachment Commander (Senior Non-Com Marine commander)
Marine Watch Stander (MSG, like I was)

Their main mission is the protection of classified material first, and American lives second. I won't debate this, it's the way it is.

We were trained from the beginning in the "escalation of force", the first being calm language and the very very last being deadly force. The majority of detachments don't have many Marines stationed there, so the main goal is to keep people out of the embassy compound, and failing that withdraw to other parts of the compound.

So, to answer the question, yes the Marines stationed there have enormous restrictions on the use of deadly force, and the Marine Corps/State Department policies the poo poo out of them.

Various articles that Google found for me says that there was no use of deadly force at the embassy in Cairo, but there was in the embassy at Benghazi: http://www.cnas.org/blogs/abumuqawama/2012/09/benghazi-and-diplomacys-hard-power.html

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Hey idiots, "hate speech" IS free speech.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Fidel Castronaut posted:

This sounds way too much like people who respond to calls for improving social services and rationalising drugs laws to try and lower crime by responding that doing that removes all blame and responsibility from those who commit the crimes. Blame isn't a binary proposition, I can say that the mob of Islamic militants that used this as a pretext for their violent killings should all be made an example of. I can also say that fucks that made this for the express purpose of angering Muslims and hopefully garnering a violent reaction should be made a loving example of.

Free speech is there to promote discourse and so people's voices can be heard, when the whole point of what someone is saying is to shut down the discourse to win their argument then frankly that's a threat to free speech because they're deliberately trying to create an atmosphere where every attempt to be involved is drowned out by the extremem on either side.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Arzy posted:

Oh God, FAST teams :rolleyes:

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)

Forums Terrorist posted:

Because it's still an insane standard even if you also arrest the killers. Sometimes people get set off by completely benign stuff. Should Jodie Foster be imprisoned because her acting got John Hinckley Jr. obsessed enough with her to take a shot at Reagan? Should abortion supporters be jailed when their writings indirectly cause some wackjob to kill a doctor?

Your standard would end free speech in a very real way.

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.
RIP Vilerat.

KaneTW posted:

Oh boy, that sure is a great civil right.

It is a great civil right, actually.

Hate speech laws can create a chilling effect and stifle discussion of controversial but important topics. For example, this topic.

It was predictable that violence would follow from the translation of this video. The lack of hate speech laws means that Americans can openly and freely discuss their opinions and analyses of the reasons that this violence was so predictable.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SolarFire2 posted:

Please don't think I'm being patronizing, but I am genuinely curious: Are you old enough to remember the Ice T single 'Cop Killa'?

Reading about it on wikipedia it looks like he tried to be responsible and withdraw it?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
RIP Vilerat, and my condolences to his family.

gently caress the ones who made the video, gently caress the rioters, and gently caress the politicians who will use this for their own ends.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Not too long ago he was talking about emergency procedures for an event like this, basically get your rear end to a safe room and secure anything secret, the marines are not there to have firefights. He was a cool guy, I hope they are wrong about this.

What's the point of having marine guards if they can't gun down attacking mobs? Seems like it's just adding more potential victims.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Holy loving poo poo I go to bed and the situation gets even worse. I fear that if one more person slips up and does some stupid poo poo, things are going to spiral out of control.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Glitterbomber posted:

Agency isn't some finite resource, you can say "the guys who killed these people are responsible, and so is the idiot who made a video to mock and degrade them."

And yet we would never punish Ice-T (thanks SolarFire) as much as the hypothetical person that listens to Body Count and goes out and shoots a cop, and with good reason: The artist is not where the onus of blame is appropriated because the agency of the killer is first and foremost where the responsibility is attributed.

Responsibility is a finite attribute, which is why civil courts actually use percentages when figuring out how to divvy up who is responsible for a car wreck, wrongful death, etc.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arzy posted:

Good. Hopefully the Marines being sent are very well equipped.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Forums Terrorist posted:

Innocent Muslims are killed by fundamentalists for dancing and singing at parties for behavior offensive to Islam. This isn't a question of provocation; Salafist militias will actively contrive any miniscule pretense to engage in regressive purging activity in their countries.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

Tardigrade posted:

gently caress the ones who made the video

Was the attack a Natural Consequence of posting stupid videos on the internet?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mcmagic posted:

You don't want the government deciding what is and isn't hate speech. Really bad idea.

It isn't the government deciding what's hate speech and what isn't though.
The government suggests a law. The Bundestag (parliament) had to accept it with 2/3 majority to be part of the Grundgesetz. It's then decided by the court of laws if it is or isn't hate speech. It's not like Merkel could go and say "all dissing of Furries is now hate speech!".

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)

Glitterbomber posted:

Surely the parents of all parties involved are at least partly responsible, why don't we go round them up too?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Scrubber posted:

RIP Vilerat.

It is a great civil right, actually.

Hate speech laws can create a chilling effect and stifle discussion of controversial but important topics. For example, this topic.

It was predictable that violence would follow from the translation of this video. The lack of hate speech laws means that Americans can openly and freely discuss their opinions and analyses of the reasons that this violence was so predictable.

Yeah I guess all that lack of discussion in countries like the UK and Germany is so chilling...

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
What effect will this have on Libya in the long term?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McDowell posted:

My condolences to Vilerat's family.

Honestly I don't know what to do about anti-Islam morons, they seem trapped in a dangerous feedback loop with Radical Islamists. Any attempt at education is perceived as indoctrination.

http://youtu.be/bRwXrcz-F9M

While the anti-Islam people are stupid, the Islamists are truly the ones to blame. It isn't acceptable or rational behavior to kill people when they upset your religious beliefs.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

MrNemo posted:

I can say that the mob of Islamic militants that used this as a pretext for their violent killings should all be made an example of. I can also say that fucks that made this for the express purpose of angering Muslims and hopefully garnering a violent reaction should be made a loving example of.

How do you "make an example of" the latter exactly? What is appropriate for making a tasteless video? Again, Ice-T's "Cop Killer" was tasteless and far more overt a call for violence against others. And I do not believe that he should be held responsible for a single cop killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Trying to discuss this issue as one of pure speech and provocation, assuming that all the people involved are equally powerful and on a level playing field (a political theory version of a "white room fight" maybe) is pretty blinkered. The fact is that whatever proximate cause the violence had, the ultimate cause of this attack has to do with imperialism. Trying to have a discussion of the speech and reaction to it without taking into account the context of "our" frequent military misadventures (our own laughable xhosa girls) and constant attempts to dominate the region has produced a goofy and pointless discussion.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 12, 2012

• Locked thread