Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I run my Valiant on a Salarian Infiltrator. Proxy mine works at long range too so you can proxy + shoot = repeat as well as ED for survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I tend to name my Shepard "Good". :shepface:

Should my medigel capacity be higher? I could've sworn I've been around for ops that supposedly increased them, and have gotten things to increase capacity, but I'm still sitting at 2. Have been for quite some time.

If you've gotten permanent upgrades to capacity then they should be letting you carry more than 2 into a round. Operation Alloy allowed the cap to go up to 6 but you still had to get the upgrade to have that capacity, if that's what you're thinking of. If you definitely got the permanent upgrades to capacity and you still only have 2, I'm not sure what the problem is.

For some reason I have 6 medigel capacity but still only 2 ops supply packs, which is irritating since I like those (when they feel like working, anyway).

PsychoHawk
Aug 7, 2004
We can't stop here ... this is BAT country!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

For some reason I have 6 medigel capacity but still only 2 ops supply packs, which is irritating since I like those (when they feel like working, anyway).

The packs are working as intended. There's just a 3.98167513642 second delay before they actually kick in, which means they always activate after you're already incapacitated.

Always. :psyboom:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I wish JEPs would just give you 20 consumables, period. And if you had, say, 2 maxed out instead of 5x5x5x5 it'd roll 10x10 of the two you don't.

this is mostly because I want to max my consumables to get them out of my drop list the next time I go spend a shitload of money. I don't expect to stay at 255x4 forever.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Hurricane 4 :toot:

For some reason I have this weird psychological satisfaction from using a Harrier, despite my brain telling me that the Hurricane is actually a much better gun. Am I wrong here, or is the Hurricane indeed a crazy good gun that feels and sounds underwhelming?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Harrier and Hurricane put out about the same damage, but the Hurricane gets increased recoil and reticle bloom for less weight and more ammo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PsychoHawk posted:

The packs are working as intended. There's just a 3.98167513642 second delay before they actually kick in, which means they always activate after you're already incapacitated.

Always. :psyboom:

The best part is the fact that it burns your item when this happens.

For as many times as the things have saved my life they've also just arbitrarily decided not to activate, or I subsequently find out I didn't actually need to use them at all. Seems like half the time I use a pack because I think I'm going to keep getting hit, when there aren't actually any enemies around the corner like I thought there would be. And then the next 10 seconds are strangely silent, like the game is quietly mocking you for wasting the item. It's the ops supply pack version of looking around to see if anybody noticed that you just completely missed with a missile launcher.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Harrier and Hurricane put out about the same damage, but the Hurricane gets increased recoil and reticle bloom for less weight and more ammo.
The ammo's a big part of it. If you're on a class that can minimise recoil (turian/N7 soldier etc) then the hurricane is a much better option if you don't want to be constantly tethered to an ammo box. I don't think the hurricane gets that 'in cover = worse aim' bug either.

The harrier's still a very solid weapon but the cover thing means it's better suited on brawler classes that want a little more reach. I find the best class to run it is the Batarian Soldier, since his passive gives it a bigger ammo reserve, and it fills the mid/long range gap that usually really screws him over.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Are you guys really running Hurricanes without the stability mod? Stability + piercing on a Hurricane is amazing. Add barrage gear or stability 3 consumable and experience the joy of the recoil free bullet hose.

Another use for the Harrier is melee builds. The lack of ammo is less of an issue when you're beating most things to death.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wanted to play a little bit of Gold tonight - took six tries to find something that wasn't G/G/W. There's like nobody playing this game anymore, is there?

Whoop, spoke too soon. Host left and the lobby collapsed in on itself.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

Are you guys really running Hurricanes without the stability mod? Stability + piercing on a Hurricane is amazing. Add barrage gear or stability 3 consumable and experience the joy of the recoil free bullet hose.

You play on 360, right? Recoil is a lot easier to control with a mouse than with a control stick, so there isn't a pressing need to zero it out. On classes that I use the Hurricane with, I usually run heat sink and extended magazines, which basically turns you into a roving Cerberus Turret. You need to equip an ammo power for busting armor, but that's not a huge handicap.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

VJeff posted:

Wanted to play a little bit of Gold tonight - took six tries to find something that wasn't G/G/W. There's like nobody playing this game anymore, is there?

I never have problem finding players, but I have noticed that lately I almost always get dropped into games in progress.

Did enjoy carrying an n7 22 level 7 human infiltrator through a game of gold earlier, we tried platinum next but wiped on wave 9 sadly

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

VJeff posted:

I haven't had this experience at all. I get games pretty quickly most of the time and they're rarely ever farming. Playing Platinum with a friend and two slots open to public does result in some interesting sights though, such as a level 18 N7 Shadow with a Krysae I. I have no idea how we won that with him around, and the fact that I'm playing pretty poorly right now for some reason.

Mr PMS
Jun 28, 2010
Motherfuckin Eagle VII motherfuckers!

Atleast I only have six more weeks until I can stop posting about my Eagles. :shepface:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So I found an Unknown/Unknown/Gold lobby - and it turned out to be Geth on Firebase White! I'd be a little more surprised if this hadn't already happened to me a few times before.

Nobody seemed interested in farming though, so we did it normally. Dunno if that's better or worse, but we got Full Extraction.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Crusader III. I finally gave it a spin on my new BatSent (last class to be unlocked) and it wasn't bad, but man is that weight killer. Pretty good against distant Guardians, though.

The only things I have left to unlock are the N7 Valiant, Particle Beam, Javelin, and... Vulnerability VI.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Holy gently caress the Crusader is impressive now. I liked it before, but it's turned into a beast.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Valiant II. After five Eagles and a Crusader. (I ignored a few bounty weekends)

Too bad the only Infiltrators I play are Geth/Shadow. :v:

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
I think my favourite character now is my Salarian Infiltrator. Tactical cloak is always handy incase your team wipes out and you are the only person left and have to hit and run. Energy drain is incredibly good against Geth and not too bad for coming up against Atlas Mech's, turrets and stuff and proximity mines are handy if you want to cover a door behind yourself to know when someone's coming behind you.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Psion posted:

I decided to take my Kishock QFI out for a spin with the Crusader instead of Kishock now that it's gotten a buff. It's pretty good at long range - well, long enough that you can aim easily and short enough you can still see the heads to pop. I'm not sure it's as good as the Kishock which is just hilarious.

The Kishock is really just the perfect gun for QFI. It's a sniper rifle so it gets the tac cloak sniper bonus (which is multiplicative instead of additive, so a pretty big deal), it's one shot which takes advantage of tac cloak's damage buff duration better than any of the rapid firing rifles, it completely ignores the shield gate unlike any other sniper rifle (except the Krysae, but that's a worse gun due to the previous point), and the charge period on each shot syncs really well with your cooldowns. Plus you get PLENTY of ammo (especially compared to say, the Javelin) and you can easily take the extra ammo attachment (or the smoke scope if you prefer) because you don't need the armor piercing one at all (hooray for innate Guardian-killing powers). Really the only thing I don't "like" about playing this class/gun combo is having to 2 finger my shoulder buttons, but it makes up for that by being one of the best setups in the game :)

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

EvanSchenck posted:

You play on 360, right? Recoil is a lot easier to control with a mouse than with a control stick, so there isn't a pressing need to zero it out. On classes that I use the Hurricane with, I usually run heat sink and extended magazines, which basically turns you into a roving Cerberus Turret. You need to equip an ammo power for busting armor, but that's not a huge handicap.

Yeah, I'm on 360 and I'm not bad at using the control stick to offset recoil. I'm also really found of using the aim button though so I get alot of use out of stability bonuses. The Hurricane doesn't take very long to reload so I question the value of the long clip for most characters.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Some dude in a platinum match today told me that a higher N7 Rating nets you more rare cards in packs. Is that true at all? I've never read it here. I generally don't promote much myself as I don't like leveling the characters but just playing.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

The Sean posted:

Some dude in a platinum match today told me that a higher N7 Rating nets you more rare cards in packs. Is that true at all? I've never read it here. I generally don't promote much myself as I don't like leveling the characters but just playing.

What?!

I got to a N7 number of 330 then stopped bothering promoting my characters, everything I have is at level 20 and I don't see the point anymore of promoting. Unless of course the above quote has any truth to it.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Mr PMS posted:

Atleast I only have six more weeks until I can stop posting about my Eagles. :shepface:

And here I was coming to bitch about my shiny new Eagle VI.

And that's only six weeks if the Commendation Packs really like to poo poo on you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I promoted my Engineer because I wanted to make some slight changes to the female Quarian, Demolisher, and robot without having to burn respecs on all of them, and it really reminded me how annoying it is trying to play on gold without a level 20 character. While it did encourage me to go back to Bronze and use all the fun but terrible weapons I wouldn't dare bring up to higher difficulties, like the Vindicator and Scimitar, it brought my Gold scores down from top to bottom of the scoreboard.

If the N7 rating actually somehow made a difference I would be promoting constantly since it would feel like I was making some measure of progress, but it would probably be irritating other ways. That said, it sounds like a rumor or something a guy made up to justify promoting his characters.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

If I had to guess I would say he didn't now what he was talking about, but I wanted to run it by goons first. I hope I'm not spreading this idea more...

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
For the Paladin, in which order should I spam Drain and Freeze to maximize tech bursts?

Also the Human Adept is loving tough to play on Gold, even tougher than the Drell Vanguard or Quarian Engineer. Singularity is worthless and 90% of your Warps are dodged the first time so you have nothing to prime Shockwave with.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Elotana posted:

For the Paladin, in which order should I spam Drain and Freeze to maximize tech bursts?

Also the Human Adept is loving tough to play on Gold, even tougher than the Drell Vanguard or Quarian Engineer. Singularity is worthless and 90% of your Warps are dodged the first time so you have nothing to prime Shockwave with.

I really wish I could get into playing as a Drell, but they just can't take any freaking damage whatsoever even on Silver. Which is a shame, as their grenades are kinda awesome.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Elotana posted:

Drain, then Freeze for tech bursts. Freeze first could set up a cryo explosion, but those only trigger on a killing blow.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

The Sean posted:

That's a bunch of nonsense.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah, I'm on 360 and I'm not bad at using the control stick to offset recoil. I'm also really found of using the aim button though so I get alot of use out of stability bonuses. The Hurricane doesn't take very long to reload so I question the value of the long clip for most characters.

It's mostly for the sheer fun of going BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT for ten seconds in a row and walking fire all over everybody I can see. It also helps some against Phantoms.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

James R posted:

I really wish I could get into playing as a Drell, but they just can't take any freaking damage whatsoever even on Silver. Which is a shame, as their grenades are kinda awesome.

They get a bit less squishy when you learn Drell take about half the damage they normally do when they dodge. Combine that with the DR from Reave, and you can usually dodge roll your way out of gunfire without taking too much damage.

Kitschy Bitch
Jun 21, 2004
the mad whacker

Mr PMS posted:

Eagle VII club. :respek:

Have they made this gun not terrible compared to other pistols yet?

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
Has anyone else thought about new characters they could add and general ways they could change the game up? I was thinking about a set based on reservists/non-traditional soldiers.

Adept - Biotic Student, stealing a few design elements from Jack for the clothing with a recon hood or something over the face that uses a new mix-up of existing biotic skills.
Sentinel - Alliance Medic, with a Medigel ability that works like grenades to instantly revive anyone within range or a 'Field Triage' pylon that boosts shields/shield recharge time.
Engineer - Batarian Mechanist, bring back the combat drone but with a more up-close skill set.
Vanguard - Krogan Female, one of the infertile ones, just using Eve's model with a few armour plates.
Infiltrator - Asari Commando/Marksman/Maiden, gimmick being 'also has a biotic ability'.
Soldier - Marauder, with the new Dominate power. Put one of those glass balls next to the ammo box at the extraction point so it makes sense.

A new enemy group would be good too, the obvious one being Mercenaries. Geth Hunters could be re-skinned as shotgun-wielding Eclipse mercs. There was a comment in the new DLC about an Atlas mech "not having Alliance or Cerberus colours,", so it's possible a merc group could have them, that could be re-skinned. The basic Cerberus soldier could just become Blue Sun soldiers with Centurians being Turians or something. Geth Pyros could become Vorcha, with no shields but regenerating health, Loki mechs could have a Husk role as easily killed mooks, the only enemy that might take a bit of programming work would be Krogan enemies, as Brute/Geth Prime types with a shotgun and a charge attack or some kind of instant-kill 'lots of headbutts' thing.

I'd also like it if they re-jigged the objective rounds to put one more in, waves 7-10 always feels a bit of a slog to me, a round at 5 then 8 would be a bit more varied than just one at 6.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

ainsoph posted:

Eagle VII club. :respek:

Have they made this gun not terrible compared to other pistols yet?

Every time I get an Eagle upgrade I slap it on an Asari Adept and give it another chance. I got an Eagle 4 this week and it's still terrible.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

TJO posted:

Has anyone else thought about new characters they could add and general ways they could change the game up? I was thinking about a set based on reservists/non-traditional soldiers.

Adept - Biotic Student, stealing a few design elements from Jack for the clothing with a recon hood or something over the face that uses a new mix-up of existing biotic skills.
Sentinel - Alliance Medic, with a Medigel ability that works like grenades to instantly revive anyone within range or a 'Field Triage' pylon that boosts shields/shield recharge time.
Engineer - Batarian Mechanist, bring back the combat drone but with a more up-close skill set.
Vanguard - Krogan Female, one of the infertile ones, just using Eve's model with a few armour plates.
Infiltrator - Asari Commando/Marksman/Maiden, gimmick being 'also has a biotic ability'.
Soldier - Marauder, with the new Dominate power. Put one of those glass balls next to the ammo box at the extraction point so it makes sense.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see playable Reaper Forces in the future given the events of Leviathan. I like those other ideas too - I really do hope BioWare makes every conceivable mix of class, race, and beyond. Still want my Asari Sentinel.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I'd like to see more enemies from ME2. Collectors as a faction, the addition of YMIR and FENRIS mechs to Cerberus, geth recon drones and perhaps destroyers and hoppers. Reapers are probably fine how they are. Maybe you could have a Mercs faction and just give them the YMIR/LOKI/FENRIS mechs or something, I dunno. Fighting against krogan and vorcha, asari commandos, what have you. That could be pretty fun.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

TJO posted:

the only enemy that might take a bit of programming work would be Krogan enemies, as Brute/Geth Prime types with a shotgun and a charge attack or some kind of instant-kill 'lots of headbutts' thing.

Would love this idea, but make it so that if you're playing as a Krogan yourself, instead of being insta-killed, this happens instead.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Lagomorphic posted:

That's a bunch of nonsense.

I would certainly loving hope so, but...Bioware. So who knows.

CharlestonJew posted:

Would love this idea, but make it so that if you're playing as a Krogan yourself, instead of being insta-killed, this happens instead.

Yeeeessssss. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Felinoid posted:

I would certainly loving hope so, but...Bioware. So who knows.

I'm fairly certain that they would tell us about such a feature if it existed, if only to get us to promote more often. Also the only source for this is some pubbie in a lobby so I'm nearly certain that this is just the sort of superstitious nonsense that gets produced whenever idiots encounter randomness.

• Locked thread