Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

BlindNinja posted:

I'm half-way through the 2nd level of Double Dragon Neon, and I can't for the life of me figure out why IGN gave it a 3/10 (besides the fact that they're IGN). I'm playing co-op with a friend, and it's fun as poo poo. The controls feel tight but not restrictive, soundtrack is good of course, and the visuals are nice. Only 30 minutes in, but given how loose IGN is with ratings, I can't believe they would give it anything worse than a 6/10.

Were they expecting a direct, straight-faced clone of the originals, maybe? I haven't had a chance to play yet [loving life getting in the way] but it sounds like it's quite different than, say, 1 2 or 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Code Jockey posted:

Were they expecting a direct, straight-faced clone of the originals, maybe? I haven't had a chance to play yet [loving life getting in the way] but it sounds like it's quite different than, say, 1 2 or 3.

They were expecting a game made for babies. The reviewer simply sucks at videogames and after an hour of dying over and over, whined about it and called it gaming journalism.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The best thing I can say about Neon is that it wasn't as bad as I expected. It's alright, but nothing to write home about. Being surprisingly not bad isn't really a good quality, or enough to elevate it super high.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Policenaut posted:

I really, really like Double Dragon Neon and I've never even played a DD game before, but good god is that game hard. I can't clear the "Airlock" stage, so I guess I gotta learn some more and maybe go back and fight the boss again for more Mythril.

I'm having the same problem beating the airlock. I bought a poo poo load of lives in the second level but it seems like they don't carry over. This game is so challenging, weird, and awesome. A lot of thought was placed into it and the presentation simply blows me away. It's a magnificently executed post modern video game. It's like that movie Dentition...either you totally get it or it's complete trash to you.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The IGN review of DDN said the only way he beat the game was through cheating and then acted like the game was just so bad it forced him to do it. He also said the voice acting was awful when only an idiot wouldn't realize that this was intentional.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Neon has its own radical thread that I would totally link if I wasn't on the SA app. So, uh, just look in Games and you can find it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

axleblaze posted:

The IGN review of DDN said the only way he beat the game was through cheating and then acted like the game was just so bad it forced him to do it.

Uhhh what's the rationalization for that? Being a big baby, or is it legit hard or broken in some way? That's quite a statement [but then again like people have said, IGN]

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Code Jockey posted:

Uhhh what's the rationalization for that? Being a big baby, or is it legit hard or broken in some way? That's quite a statement [but then again like people have said, IGN]

It's called IGNorance.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I lost on Airlock and had to continue for the first time playing co-op. This game sucks!

But honestly, really surprised how much fun I'm having. Hopefully they add online co-op in a speedier way than Scott Pilgrim did.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

Big Baby posted:

On top of all this, I found myself plugging in a second controller when my player one died early on, simply so I’d have the extra lives necessary to finish a mission I otherwise couldn’t.

If I need to play co-op by myself to brute force my way through a campaign, it’s time to throw in the towel and play something else.

I should note this game isn't nearly that hard and you can go back and gain levels if you're really having trouble.

Here's the full review.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I only game overed twice. Once at the second to last level and once at the last boss. Dodge roll has a lot of invincibility. Also, the best strategy for Air Lock is to try to stay alive rather than beating up dudes. Most get sucked out of the air lock. Stun them and say bye bye.

Also, come to my thread. I worked very hard on it. :smith:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finished the walking dead episode 3. More so than the previous episodes, it was harder to see how my actions were changing things...which is a good thing. That's my favorite thing about the Witcher games too, that your actions control everything, but things never seem to go the way you planned.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Discount Viscount posted:

No re-recording was done, it was always Jet Set Radio in game, they just couldn't title it that before in the US due to trademark reasons or something.

I thought they changed the title because in English the term "Jet Set" has completely different connotations than what the game is about?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
It was only the US who had the name change. The UK still got Jet Set Radio.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Thanks for the answers about JSR, guys. I knew Grind was US only, but I thought they they would've gone all the way through to re-record the audio to say "grind" instead of "set". It just took me by surprise to hear the DJ say "Jet Set Radio" is all.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

How well does JSR run on PS3? GiantBomb mentioned some annoying framerate hitches on the 360 version.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Code Jockey posted:

One of the big complaints in the IGN review is that it essentially IS just straight up Double Dragon in HD, which tells me they couldn't have played the whole game (their statement that it's only an hour long tells me the same thing)

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I tried searching the forums for some info but didn't find much. I am looking for some goon first hand accounts of a SSD installed in a PS3. I want to do it out of boredom. I don't care about their writing speed degrading over time (down to just a lot a faster than standard ps3 hd).

Load times? In game performance? I read some articles and saw some videos but always looking for more info.

Thanks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SSD's will only decrease load times, and not on every game. I think the benefits of an SSD in a PS3 are probably minimal at best, unless you have a lot of PSN games, or know that your library of blu-ray based games install the majority of their data to the hard drive.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bayonetta 2 is a WiiU exclusive...

:roflolmao:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

I'd be really surprised if it was a exclusive forever, how many 3rd party exclusive games have there been this generation that weren't later release on other consoles?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Spalec posted:

I'd be really surprised if it was a exclusive forever, how many 3rd party exclusive games have there been this generation that weren't later release on other consoles?

Nintendo's publishing it, it probably won't get ported.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Motherfucker. Well guess nintendo ain't playing around.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

I have not been so legitimately mad about a exclusive in a long time. I hate it so goddamn much when series jump brands or consoles for sequels. I know everyone swears up and down the PS3 Bayonetta was a awful port but goddammit the first wasn't even on the Wii! Makes no sense... :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sega backed out of funding and Nintendo stepped in, those things happen I guess. At least the PS3 still gets Metal Gear Revengence...right?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Man, you're forgetting that we might actually get Bayonetta 2 after all. Sega loves to under promote its real third party developed gems, act quizzical when they don't sell, then cancel sequels/bonuses based on Metacritic ratings which are artificially lower because of "lack of polish". Nintendo is sidestepping Sega to make a potentially unprofitable title, because their money doesn't come from the core anymore, so they are free to be awesome every so often.

Basically what I'm saying is Nintendo should publish another Alpha Protocol game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sega backed out of funding and Nintendo stepped in, those things happen I guess. At least the PS3 still gets Metal Gear Revengence...right?
I have no faith that MGR is going to be a good game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

I have no faith that MGR is going to be a good game.
I have some amount.

Anyway, I'm not completely married to the PS3 (as a pieces of hardware I don't even really like it very much), I could switch to the WiiU if necessary, now that they have thrown out the motion control nonsense and gotten back to basics (relatively speaking). The only exclusive to the PS3 I really care about is the Yakuza series, and who knows what could happen to that in the future.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 13, 2012

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

BlindNinja posted:

I'm half-way through the 2nd level of Double Dragon Neon, and I can't for the life of me figure out why IGN gave it a 3/10 (besides the fact that they're IGN). I'm playing co-op with a friend, and it's fun as poo poo. The controls feel tight but not restrictive, soundtrack is good of course, and the visuals are nice. Only 30 minutes in, but given how loose IGN is with ratings, I can't believe they would give it anything worse than a 6/10.

The IGN reviewer was clearly the type who had no love for the entire genre. He actually ended the review by basically saying "Look everyone, we have to face the fact that the brawler genre was never good." As one of the comments noted, it was like someone with a thorough dislike of football reviewing a Madden game.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sega's still got their logo on Bayonetta 2's preview screen for what its worth.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Surlaw posted:

Sega's still got their logo on Bayonetta 2's preview screen for what its worth.
Seriously? I figured Platinum would have told then to get bent, if they were indeed responsible for the game going from multi-platform down to just the WiiU.

Also after the hack-job they did on the PS3 version of 1.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

BreakAtmo posted:

The IGN reviewer was clearly the type who had no love for the entire genre. He actually ended the review by basically saying "Look everyone, we have to face the fact that the brawler genre was never good." As one of the comments noted, it was like someone with a thorough dislike of football reviewing a Madden game.

I've said it before, but this just further proves that IGN is the new GamePro. "We get you reviews before the game is even out (because we can't be bothered to complete games)!" I'd much rather have to wait a few weeks and watch an intelligent video detailing the pros and cons of a game (GameTrailers).

Thanks PS+, and you goons for not letting me ignore the game due to your praises. I was lucky to have a bud over last night though, or I still may not have tried it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SEGA owns the rights to Bayonetta, because the initial publisher of a game owns the rights to the intellectual property, not the developer. They funded the first game, so unless Nintendo bought the rights from them wholesale, then SEGA will get a cut of the profits from Bayonetta 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo helps Platinum get Metal Gear Rising on the WiiU, seeing as it's being released a few months after its launch. That game is being published by Konami, so it's not unlikely that they'd be against it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured Platinum would have told then to get bent

Why? Sega lost a lot of money supporting Platinum who brought us a bunch of great games. Those didn't sell and it's not the fault of either company. In fact, Sega tried to stick with Platinum as long as they could because they knew Platinum's output was quality, but the reality is that Sega's out of money and Platinum now wants to work for Nintendo and they are likely the ones who insited with Sega they want the game on the U for the time being, seeing as they have other projects in the system all being funded by Nintendo.

It's not unlikely that after the honeymoon is over, Platinum will try to get Bayonetta 2 on other systems. And considering how Nintendo usually treats those that work for them that's probably going to be sooner than later.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 13, 2012

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Samurai Sanders posted:

The only exclusive to the PS3 I really care about is the Yakuza series, and who knows what could happen to that in the future.

Dammit now I want Yakuza Move. Shake the Navigation Controller to destroy a man's face/gently caress a hostess/punch a tiger in the balls.

fake edit: Why has Kazuma not managed to recreate the boulder punching scene from Resident Evil 5 yet. Get on it, Nagoshi.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cartoon Man posted:

Son of a witch.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A game that might actually get people to buy a Wii-U for it, well done Nintendo.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

RatHat posted:

A game that might actually get people to buy a Wii-U for it, well done Nintendo.

Bayonetta wasn't exactly a highly popular game. Maybe around here it was popular, but most barely know what it is.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Bayonetta had combined sales of roughly 1.88 million according to VGChartz. That's still a solid number for a locked exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RatHat posted:

4 or so people.

• Locked thread