Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
I will never get the hang of getting past the silver knight archers, just made a go of it on my SL25 twink and ended up losing all 100k of my stored up souls :darksouls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

Can you use a save editor without Steam/the game getting mad at you? Normally that stuff is looked down on in multiplayer games.
The save files are locked down, but you can easily edit stats and such in memory since that's not protected.

Eggs
Apr 15, 2007
Yep, S&O...just like basically every boss battle in this game so far for me, 1st attempt I get them down to 90% (Super Smough) then die to something dumb. Next couple times I try I can't even come close. I can't even seem to hit Ornstein. God damnit.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The amount of hackers around says no.

I'd still be worried about getting my gamertag banned. You might want to use an alt account.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gibbed posted:

The save files are locked down, but you can easily edit stats and such in memory since that's not protected.

Eh, I don't want to run around with maxed stats. I just wanted to dig around and find some Sunbro armor.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Robo Reagan posted:

Can you use a save editor without Steam/the game getting mad at you? Normally that stuff is looked down on in multiplayer games.

Steam has nothing to do with the saves or security of the game and GFWL is notoriously worthless at doing its job so go nuts.

Reminalt posted:

I'd still be worried about getting my gamertag banned. You might want to use an alt account.

If he doesn't make all his stats 99 and go online to bother other players there's no way he's going to be banned for something like giving himself a specific weapon or starting the game at level 80.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think I just have to improve my weapon. There's no way I can do enough damage to kill one king before the others spawn, even when I get lucky and they don't use their stupid attacks with long as hell animations. Guess that means I'm headed to the demon ruins. Gonna be pissed if the large fire ember is behind the gold fog door down there.

Though, is chaos a brand worth using?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Internet Kraken posted:

I think I just have to improve my weapon. There's no way I can do enough damage to kill one king before the others spawn, even when I get lucky and they don't use their stupid attacks with long as hell animations. Guess that means I'm headed to the demon ruins. Gonna be pissed if the large fire ember is behind the gold fog door down there.

Chaos is the best elemental path. That depends on you being able to keep 10 humanity on you at almost all times, though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Internet Kraken posted:

Neither are behind the fog door. Chaos is very nice if you have some liquid humanity.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
Hooray, I'm now a Darkmoon with a Darkwraith weapon. Thanks again Veev!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Robo Reagan posted:

Eh, I don't want to run around with maxed stats. I just wanted to dig around and find some Sunbro armor.

You can find him right after the Taurus Demon.

Kill him, he has your armor!

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Internet Kraken posted:

Hell yeah, burning poo poo is loving awesome, and running it with 10 humanity makes it's pretty goddamn great.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Garin posted:

Hooray, I'm now a Darkmoon with a Darkwraith weapon. Thanks again Veev!

Kill GFWL.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

Eggs posted:

Yep, S&O...just like basically every boss battle in this game so far for me, 1st attempt I get them down to 90% (Super Smough) then die to something dumb. Next couple times I try I can't even come close. I can't even seem to hit Ornstein. God damnit.

I couldn't come close to beating them until someone suggested abusing the game's shoddy pathing: stand behind a pillar and bait Smough into attacking, causing him to get caught up, then use the breather to get a hit in on Ornstein. I kept dying during my two-hander run until I started utilising this as the recovery animation after bludgeoning Smalls was long enough for Biggie to either stampede into me, or just barely manage to smoosh me before my roll input would register.

Once you've whittled Ornstein down, you can continue using the pillars to mess with Electro-Fatso's pathing and either shoot spells/arrows over the top of the rubble to hit him, or just dance in and out for a hit between his attacks. Mind the uber-buttslam though, that thing has a ridiculous radius.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I haven't been able to play dark souls in two days and it's actually starting to get hard to concentrate on anything but thinking about it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Heti posted:

I haven't been able to play dark souls in two days and it's actually starting to get hard to concentrate on anything but thinking about it.

You have to feed it more humanity.

Except in this case, humanity is actually Dark Souls, and you're feeding your crippling addiction.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Level 50, 50 int, homing soul mass ended a dude's run through sens in one hit.

I also hit a dude, his summon and BLACK IRON TARKUSSSSSSSS with dark fog, then pranced away like a silly girl.

Then used Dark Bead to hammer them to death. All three of them.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Heti posted:

It's been slow at work lately and this basically happens to me when I have no actual distractions from my stupid video game hobby. That's why I post nonstop in this thread. I think it'll get better once I actually finish this stupid game(I'm slow as gently caress, by the way, I'm at like 40 hours, some of which is sunbroing and loving around but still)

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Turns out Dragon Bone Fist is dissapointing if you aren't stacking strength. Welp, back to +10 caestus!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm beginning to think elemental weapons suck unless your at a pathetically low level and can't benefit from stat bonuses at all. At least in PvE, where I'm doing gently caress all damage to the 4 kings. I was barely able to take down one bar of their health before getting killed. That damage is loving awful. I can't help but feel it'd be better if I just went straight up +15.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
On my stats page, next to my resists is another number in parentheses. What does that number represent? Percentage absorbed?

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's been slow at work lately and this basically happens to me when I have no actual distractions from my stupid video game hobby. That's why I post nonstop in this thread. I think it'll get better once I actually finish this stupid game(I'm slow as gently caress, by the way, I'm at like 40 hours, some of which is sunbroing and loving around but still)

Same. I've restarted a couple times and tried out different playstyles but I still haven't gotten further than getting the lord vessel.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm beginning to think elemental weapons suck unless your at a pathetically low level and can't benefit from stat bonuses at all. At least in PvE, where I'm doing gently caress all damage to the 4 kings. I was barely able to take down one bar of their health before getting killed. That damage is loving awful. I can't help but feel it'd be better if I just went straight up +15.

That's pretty much exactly the point of elemental weapons.

If you have the stats to make it better, use +15 and then add on enchantments or resins if you need an extra damage boost.

If you don't have those stats, well then, +15 isn't all that much mightier than Raw +5, while Chaos +5 with 10 Humanity rocks socks.

Leper Residue posted:

On my stats page, next to my resists is another number in parentheses. What does that number represent? Percentage absorbed?

I'm pretty sure that those are your base amounts. If you took all your armor off, it ought to equal that number.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Shima Honnou posted:

If you have the stats to make it better, use +15 and then add on enchantments or resins if you need an extra damage boost.

If you don't have those stats, well then, +15 isn't all that much mightier than Raw +5, while Chaos +5 with 10 Humanity rocks socks.

I'm pretty sure that those are your base amounts. If you took all your armor off, it ought to equal that number.

That makes so much more sense, and is in fact what that is. Thanks

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Shima Honnou posted:

Well I'm wondering just how low your stats have to be for elemental weapons to be worth a drat.

And is there anyway to cheese the 4 kings? I hate this fight so much and just want to star darkwraithing already.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Crystal Magic Weapon on +15 Claws for a melee build, man.

Then you also get bleed damage!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Artorias is the first boss to give me serious, serious trouble as a pure caster.

I will (nearly) die from any hit, he's SUPER loving aggressive which means my normal tactic of "keep distance, rain soul masses/spears at them" doesn't work, and I don't have enough stam to roll through everything if he decides to go on an attack string.

Keeping him out of SSJ mode is easy with soul spear, but lasting more than 30 seconds is what's killing me.

I miss my End/Str tank character :smith:

Strong Magic Shield and get a +10 shield.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Internet Kraken posted:

Well I'm wondering just how low your stats have to be for elemental weapons to be worth a drat.

And is there anyway to cheese the 4 kings? I hate this fight so much and just want to star darkwraithing already.

My SL20 run went pretty smoothly with a +4 lightning washing pole. The hardest part of the 4 kings is running to them. But once you're beside'em stay behind and roll left/right when they swing. You should easily wind up under their blades the majority of the time. If they start casting some magic bring your shield out and tank it. Then estus up and stick on their rear end.

Its like another capra demon fight for me. Alot of how the fight goes is usually determined by how fast I can race to the first king and stick onto his rear end.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

KaneTW posted:

Strong Magic Shield and get a +10 shield.

I killed him later without taking any damage :wink:

I just needed a break from it for a bit!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Remember, Darkwraiths only really invade people of a higher level than them (And very slightly below), so the lower your level, the better.

Attunement? That's 1 or 2 levels up unless you pick a class that starts with some of it, which isn't always the best for min/maxing a build.

Great magic weapon? That'll be another 4-6 levels for the intelligence in most cases. Crystal Magic Weapon will put you off into Sen's-and-beyond territory unless you min/max for it.

Let's say you want the most of that, so you decide to try Ricard's Rapier in PvP with enchantments. You can do that as a sorcerer, SL 12. 246phys+198mag, AR of around 444. That's pretty decent for it, to be sure.

But let's say you want to invade everyone, from SL1 on up. Well, now you're starting as a pyro and not leveling up, except for maybe once for a single point of dex or something. You throw on, let's say a Longsword +15, but, poo poo, it's only doing 220. If you went Lightning with it, you'd have 200phys/200lit - you're losing a grand total of 20 from the scaling, and resins kinda suck (Gold Pine adds only about half as much lightning damage as you'd get from the Lightning Longsword +5). Now, sure, 220 damage might be fine when you're fighting a new player with unupgraded gear, but remember, Darkwraiths can invade anyone above them. Once you spawn into xX_69Worldslayer420_Xx's game and he's wearing Havel's set, suddenly your damage isn't looking so hot.

Basically, the elemental damage is for people who min/max to squeeze the most out of every build.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp
I think that high stam is what made the lost islith boss so easy, and quite honestly it's quite obvious what to do anyway.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The main thing to do is to take out the right root first. The left root is a lot easier to take out after the floor crumbles.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Which black knight weapons are worth using? I've got the greatsword and the great axe at the moment and they both seem good, but I'm torn between which to start upgrading.

Jun 29, 2009

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Which black knight weapons are worth using? I've got the greatsword and the great axe at the moment and they both seem good, but I'm torn between which to start upgrading.

Axe or Halberd, pick whichever move set you like best. So in your case Axe all the way, they seem to be the go-to-weapons that everyone picks from the black knights.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Beat the Four Kings, which means I have all the souls for Lordvessel. What a trip. I'm assuming the Kiln is the final area? Should I go do the DLC content first?

Also now my Large Club is +15 watch out hollows of Lordran you're about to get your poo poo rocked.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Kaubocks posted:

Beat the Four Kings, which means I have all the souls for Lordvessel. What a trip. I'm assuming the Kiln is the final area? Should I go do the DLC content first?

Also now my Large Club is +15 watch out hollows of Lordran you're about to get your poo poo rocked.

99 Charcoal Pine Resin.

Hit people with a giant flaming log.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Once you beat the Kiln boss the game ends. So yes, do the DLC content first.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

99 Charcoal Pine Resin.

Hit people with a giant flaming log.
500 souls each? I think I can swing it. Pretty sure I'm done leveling up for this run and I've upgraded pretty much all my equipment to max (except my Knight Helm but like hell I'm spending a slab on that) so it'll be nice to spend souls on something entirely unnecessary for once.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Kaubocks posted:

Do everything that there is to do before you do the Kiln. I stupidly killed Gwyn immediately after getting the last soul, not realizing it would immediately deposit me into New Game+, and I hadn't even done the DLC yet let alone upgraded all the weapons I wanted, gotten all the rare titanites, killed all the Fire Keepers, etc. I've heard the DLC is hard even in New Game, I can't wait to see how impossible it will be in New Game+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Greatsword is the worst, by a fair margin. Powerful, but just too slow.

Sword is next in line. Solid, with reasonable damage. Good enough to get you though the game.

The top two are the halberd and the greataxe. I am actually becoming more fond of the halberd on the PC version, the more I play with them. The greataxe is still excellent, but it feels like the damage of its 1H R1 might have actually been stealth nerfed in the PC version. I notice that even with a higher attack rating than the halberd, it hits for a little less.

• Locked thread