Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Ok, question. We already know one feedback-loop you've designed into the game: a mad architect designs a building that slowly drives people mad, making for a madness spiral. Good, that mimics the tantrum spiral somewhat (Mechanic: Negative condition that causes infected to make other people move towards that same negative condition).

But Dwarf Fortress has had more than one kind of spiral. Do you have any others planned? For instance, a Nolio style infection spiral? The key points of that would be that it is a negative condition that someone can try to remove from themselves, but in the process, infects others who are doing something completely unrelated.

Any other spiral mechanics? Interlocking spiral mechanics (ie, one system feeds into a second that feeds into a third that feeds back into the first)? With each of the "feeds into" being preventable if you're careful, but potentially overlooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Alchemist who doesn't want to pay the dangerous-experimental-potion-disposal-fees and dumps it down the sink, infecting the whole city with weird ailments and illnesses.

VV If the tear was in some poor sods cellar you might not notice it until something really terrible comes through...

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 12, 2012

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
A race of extradimensional horrors that can break in and mess things up. If left alive long enough, they worsen the tears through which they intruded on our reality through, opening the way for more/worse invasions later on.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

I'd love to know anything you have set up or planned for the map. Sky combat has been mentioned already so I assume at least there will be at least 2 z levels but other than that will the game be any specific depth/altitude? What about travel or combat over/under water?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Iunnrais posted:

Any other spiral mechanics? Interlocking spiral mechanics (ie, one system feeds into a second that feeds into a third that feeds back into the first)? With each of the "feeds into" being preventable if you're careful, but potentially overlooked.
Uh, why on earth would you want this? The end of fortresses to 'everyone is sad' is one of the worst parts of Dwarf Fortress; cascading failure isn't really something to shoot for in a game.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Strudel Man posted:

Uh, why on earth would you want this? The end of fortresses to 'everyone is sad' is one of the worst parts of Dwarf Fortress; cascading failure isn't really something to shoot for in a game.

I beg to differ. And I would like to specify that UNAVOIDABLE cascading failure is not fun, but having things collapse and the struggle to fight against the collapse and to go to the very brink of failure, hanging on by your fingernails... that's fun. And if that CAN'T happen, it's not fun.

For example, let me go back to Nolio. Nolio had no an unidentifiable vector for a while, so it built up rapidly, but if it's vector had been known, it could have been stopped early by forbidding the well/hospital area. Even when it had spread to everyone, it was still stoppable via the public baths (true, combined with a utility to actually make the stuff go away once not on an object, but the point remains). Those that still had some contamination left on them remained a risk, but that risk added to the fun. And those that never got near the contaimination remained safe, and could have started over from there, leaving the others to die of Nolio and creating a deadly ruin in the process.

I think that's AWESOME.

From my perspective, what you would prefer is the equivalent to a 2d platformer with no enemies in it. Possible, but not usually not as much fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Has Spacechem had any influence on this? It's the first game I thought of when you mentioned pipes feeding outputs from buildings into the input slots of other buildings.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Cascading failures help games end, which is kind of the point in a theoretically endless sandbox game. Snowballing catastrophes is kind of a feature of the genre.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Markovnikov posted:

The problem with Minecraft's redstone is that it's really clunky and anti intuitive, and I'm pretty sure it works nothing like what it's trying to emulate. It gets to the point where some people can barely connect two things with wires, while the electrical engineers run around building gigantic memories and RAMs and calculators and whatnot.
Actually, from what I understand it works exactly like what it's emulating which is precisely why electrical engineers run around recreating computers and non-technical people struggle to create a pressure pad to open their front door.

As you say, Redpower improves it by giving you pre-built logic gates instead of requiring you to learn basic electrical engineering.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Actually, from what I understand it works exactly like what it's emulating which is precisely why electrical engineers run around recreating computers and non-technical people struggle to create a pressure pad to open their front door.

As you say, Redpower improves it by giving you pre-built logic gates instead of requiring you to learn basic electrical engineering.

The thing is, it tries simulating both normal wires (just carrying a signal) and semiconductors (redstone torches somewhat?), and maybe diodes (redstone repeaters) and some parts of transistors at the same time. It's kind of messy.

Anyways, someone mentioned Spacechem, and that one is a much user friendly system. You can easily try and do something that will solve the puzzle at hand, even if it somewhat brute forcey and not extremely efficient. Then someone can come by and make a Brainfuck interpreter (actually happened, check the competition the devs had a while back when they implemented free mode) with the same system.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ghostlight posted:

Well, there would be nothing wrong with vanilla Redstone if it were just basic electrical engineering. The problem is that it's got a ton of obnoxious idiosyncracies like currents on north/south wires behaving differently than currents on east/west wires, vertical power transmission taking twice as much space or more than horizontal power transmission, etc.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Iunnrais posted:

Ok, question. We already know one feedback-loop you've designed into the game: a mad architect designs a building that slowly drives people mad, making for a madness spiral. Good, that mimics the tantrum spiral somewhat (Mechanic: Negative condition that causes infected to make other people move towards that same negative condition).

But Dwarf Fortress has had more than one kind of spiral. Do you have any others planned? For instance, a Nolio style infection spiral? The key points of that would be that it is a negative condition that someone can try to remove from themselves, but in the process, infects others who are doing something completely unrelated.

Oh, Nolio... Gemclod's finest moment. :allears:

Erm. Off the top of my head for spirals: madness spirals, rival nation spirals, various spirals concerning eldritch entities, various spirals concerning the Prime Minister's Anti-Paranormal Incursion Squad, hostile nations, mine disasters, laudanum shortages, failures to accede to royal/prime ministerial requests, failures to accede to aristocratic demands, Science Criminal, radioactivity, game-engineered megaprojects gone terrifyingly wrong, user-engineered megaprojects going terrifyingly wrong, and just plain running the thing into the ground yourself.

So, yeah, a few. Yes, some of them spiral into themselves. Actually, most of them.

President Ark posted:

A race of extradimensional horrors that can break in and mess things up. If left alive long enough, they worsen the tears through which they intruded on our reality through, opening the way for more/worse invasions later on.

May be hitting the nail on the head.

SynthOrange posted:

Has Spacechem had any influence on this? It's the first game I thought of when you mentioned pipes feeding outputs from buildings into the input slots of other buildings.

I haven't played it, but I know David has, and the pipe system was his idea sooo...

Shadowmorn posted:

If your going to look at redstone mechanics for inspiration, for the love of the diggle devil, download technic and look at all the other crazy machinery in tekkit. We have at least one goon run (by me :ssh:) tekkit server and some of the setups are already decending into madding pictures of pipes within pipes within pipes :stare:

Will do. That sounds so beautiful.

And yeah, Pozzo, I've got both you and StarkRavingMad on my "preferred beta testers" list for testing the round robin mode.

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009
I have one question. How big will the world be? is it ANNO size or waay bigger? Massive? How long will it take to travel across the world?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Carolus posted:

I have one question. How big will the world be? is it ANNO size or waay bigger? Massive? How long will it take to travel across the world?

Like Dwarf Fortress, you have a large world and you choose an embarkation site. So it's a bit of a weird question.

Right now, and this is mainly for debugging purposes, the embark world is 122 x 122. The rendering representation of the embark world is 8x higher resolution - 8 units in rendering tile space represent one unit of game tile space - so you have a lo-res gameplay map and a higher-res rendering representation.

That said, I'm pretty sure that 122x122 is too small for an embark site and that I'll be expanding this significantly in a bit. How big do people want their embark sites to be?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

You mentioned piping pork into a brick factory, does this mean we can expect pork houses or just a very messy factory?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nvining posted:

Like Dwarf Fortress, you have a large world and you choose an embarkation site. So it's a bit of a weird question.

Right now, and this is mainly for debugging purposes, the embark world is 122 x 122. The rendering representation of the embark world is 8x higher resolution - 8 units in rendering tile space represent one unit of game tile space - so you have a lo-res gameplay map and a higher-res rendering representation.

That said, I'm pretty sure that 122x122 is too small for an embark site and that I'll be expanding this significantly in a bit. How big do people want their embark sites to be?

Without knowing what those units are, how big structures are, where resources are located, where interesting features are located, etc, that's kind of a meaningless question.

If you expect us to build thousands of buildings, it might be kind of small. If you expect us to build like 50, it's probably fine.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

You mentioned piping pork into a brick factory, does this mean we can expect pork houses or just a very messy factory?

You get SquarePig, the delicious Empire Treat.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

You get SquarePig, the delicious Empire Treat.

That is great!

I hope that a lot of materials and buildings have amusing interactions like that when piping unconventional stuff into them.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

nvining posted:

Just make it the embark site large enough to have a decent subset of features. In DF some of the features are underground and can be expected to be found every game, but other features like haunted biomes, goblin/elf/human towns, tundra, ect can only be found at specific embark sites. You also can usually only find one or two of these features at a time. I don't think it has to be a condition that the player could encounter every feature in a single game, it's a better design to make a player experience multiple games to see all the features.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'd love it if there was a possibility of specifying the size of the embark site as well, I love massive maps, absolutely adore 'em. :allears:

I was wondering though, and I don't think I've seen it get asked before:
But how do you draw / map the blueprints of buildings?
Do you just draw them out pretty quickly by mouse clicking+dragging, or will there be some small tools,
like Circle, square, straight line, etc, so that it's easier to make fancier buildings?

Also, can you save those blueprints of the buildings, or just copy the blueprint from a building that already exists,
if you're particularly fond of how it ended up, or just want to have a couple of identical buildings?
( I remember that Black & White 2 had a pretty decent way of making a lot of identical buildings, just lift up the building you want, and smack down the blueprint somewhere else. )

Also, you guys rock, I've played a decent bit of DoD, and am exited as all hell for this. :3:

nvining
May 30, 2011

SubNat posted:

I'd love it if there was a possibility of specifying the size of the embark site as well, I love massive maps, absolutely adore 'em. :allears:

I was wondering though, and I don't think I've seen it get asked before:
But how do you draw / map the blueprints of buildings?
Do you just draw them out pretty quickly by mouse clicking+dragging, or will there be some small tools,
like Circle, square, straight line, etc, so that it's easier to make fancier buildings?

There's some fighting going on here. David is a big proponent of having absolutely *everything* be in the 3D view; I want the ability to pull up a 2D viewport for a window so you can actually see/edit a 2D blueprint, possibly with layers. It remains to be seen who will actually win this fight.

quote:

Also, can you save those blueprints of the buildings, or just copy the blueprint from a building that already exists,
if you're particularly fond of how it ended up, or just want to have a couple of identical buildings?
( I remember that Black & White 2 had a pretty decent way of making a lot of identical buildings, just lift up the building you want, and smack down the blueprint somewhere else. )

Yes, in some form, but I don't know what yet. Building duplication and copying seems like a good idea, really.

Count Clockwork
Nov 6, 2010

This looks awesome. I think I'm really gonna enjoy this game :3:

nvining
May 30, 2011

Count Clockwork posted:

This looks awesome. I think I'm really gonna enjoy this game :3:

... with a handle like that? Not surprised. :D

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
This is going to own. Thanks for taking goon feedback so seriously and openly.

I would also like massive embark sites.

Massive.

Really massive.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Strudel Man posted:

This my friends is the wrongest person to ever grace a thread. The descent into failure is the entire fun part of the genre. Without it, you end up like a Sim City game where you either abandon it after hours of staring at your precious little creation, or you hit the disaster button and destroy it yourself. Yuck.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Sorry if it's been brought up already, but I'm hoping that this game will be like Dredmor in that you won't need too terribly beefy a computer to run it. My laptop isn't terrible or anything but it's sure not top of the line either. What sort of system requirements will this game demand?

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

SpruceZeus posted:

Sorry if it's been brought up already, but I'm hoping that this game will be like Dredmor in that you won't need too terribly beefy a computer to run it. My laptop isn't terrible or anything but it's sure not top of the line either. What sort of system requirements will this game demand?

So far they're recommending at least a quad-core for the simulation layer. Dual-core may sneak bye but it's being designer with quads in mind. Otherwise nothing really announced.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

nvining posted:

There's some fighting going on here. David is a big proponent of having absolutely *everything* be in the 3D view; I want the ability to pull up a 2D viewport for a window so you can actually see/edit a 2D blueprint, possibly with layers. It remains to be seen who will actually win this fight.

Yes, in some form, but I don't know what yet. Building duplication and copying seems like a good idea, really.

2D views are good!

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

nvining posted:

I think that having an optional 2-d map popout for designing buildings is the way to go. A case where all 3-d could fail is if you were blueprinting a building in the middle of a open space surrounded by other buildings, certain details could be obscured by the other buildings. You could of course make the surrounding buildings transparent, but that might be more complicated than a 2-d popup.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I don't dare make any suggestions, but I'll just say I'm really excited about this. I loved Dredmor to death (mostly mine, occasionally Dredmor's) and I can't think of a better group to tackle a Dwarf-Fortressy supersim. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dr.Spaceman posted:

I think that having an optional 2-d map popout for designing buildings is the way to go. A case where all 3-d could fail is if you were blueprinting a building in the middle of a open space surrounded by other buildings, certain details could be obscured by the other buildings. You could of course make the surrounding buildings transparent, but that might be more complicated than a 2-d popup.

In renderBuildings() simply draw everything with 0.1 alpha, problem solved.

A 2d pop up would actually be more complicated, but some sort of auxilisry drawing screen from a ux perspective might be preferable.

nvining
May 30, 2011

A bunch of WIP engine shots are up on the company blog: http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/09/19/evolution-of-a-3d-engine/

showing the evolution of the engine in progress. The one at the bottom is fairly close to the current reality, although obviously we're a long ways away from done yet.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

nvining posted:

You guys should take a look at Shores of Hazeron's ship creation. It's a nice hybrid. They don't show it in that video but if you hit backspace you switch to topdown view and switch between layers. It's really always 3d, but there is the wireframe and the top down view and bam, blueprint view.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Dev Blog posted:

Here is an early terrain test. It menaces with spikes of blending.

:3: Looks like pretty fast development.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nvining posted:

A bunch of WIP engine shots are up on the company blog: http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/09/19/evolution-of-a-3d-engine/

showing the evolution of the engine in progress. The one at the bottom is fairly close to the current reality, although obviously we're a long ways away from done yet.

quote:

Here is an early terrain test. It menaces with spikes of blending.

Dwarf Fortress as gently caress.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Dr.Spaceman posted:

:3: Looks like pretty fast development.

Looks like they've built an engine in the time it takes the Zomboid developers to (partially) fix one bug.

nvining
May 30, 2011

the black husserl posted:

Looks like they've built an engine in the time it takes the Zomboid developers to (partially) fix one bug.

The engine's been under construction for quite awhile; it stems from "the giant ball of code that every indie developer has who's been around for long enough", and also has bits of my Master's thesis codebase in it (and somebody else's Ph.D thesis. Yikes.) We also use a lot of open source stuff to hold everything together.

Having revision control probably also helps.

nvining
May 30, 2011

I only just twigged about why you probably mentioned Project Zomboid: the isometric perspective.

Comparing the Zomboid engine and the Empires engine is a little like comparing apples and oranges. Zomboid is a hybrid isometric engine. I think some things are rendered in 3D, and they have some good fake lighting, but fundamentally the game is 2D sprites and 2D props on more 2D art. Everything in Clockwork Empires is actually 3D, from the models through to the animation and the terrain. The main difference between CE and any regular engine is that it uses an isometric projection rather than a perspective projection; this is mainly to make the game a little easier to play (although it causes me nothing but trouble.) If we wanted to stop what we were doing and make, say, a first person shooter, we'd be well set up to do this.

Just tooting my own horn. :toot:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

nvining posted:

If we wanted to stop what we were doing and make, say, a first person shooter, we'd be well set up to do this.

...So you're planning a Dredmor Metroidvania and a Clockwork Empires FPS.

When will you announce the obligatory kid-friendly party game? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nvining
May 30, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

...So you're planning a Dredmor Metroidvania and a Clockwork Empires FPS.

When will you announce the obligatory kid-friendly party game? :v:

DIGGLE PARTY 6, baby. It's coming.

• Locked thread