Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I talked to that guy who works at 343 industries about that kinect thing some more. He said they didn't really integrate it, though they played around with it with the waypoint system they use. He said they might do something involving kinect with their next project, but he's kind of annoyed that they don't have any info on the next console so they can start working on Halo 5. Poor bastard barely gets out of there, he's got a chance at sunshine(even in Seattle) if they don't go whole hog into halo 5.

Haha what? 343 doesn't have a dev unit for the next XBox yet? I doubt this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

AngryBooch posted:

Haha what? 343 doesn't have a dev unit for the next XBox yet? I doubt this story.

It seems surprising. I was convinced for a while that they would be developing Halo 4 for both consoles, so that it can be either a launch title for the new console (unlikely) or a re-release further down the line like CEA.

I suppose if the new console has vastly different architecture, there's no cost saving in developing for both consoles at once - you still have to build for one then port to the other, might as well do the other later when there's specific budget for it.

Either way, I just assumed, with the 360 probably in it's last year, they'd put the big new trilogy on the new hardware. Or perhaps they want to hook players now, and Halo 5 will be next-gen only, making us all want to upgrade. Seems highly unlikely we'll see another Halo game on 360 after Halo 4. Just remembering how swiftly the original Xbox releases pretty much stopped dead the second the 360 came out.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Hopefully 343 will do a better job of letting everyone know that Trueskill is still there in the background, just not visible (if it's not visible, that is). Bungie didn't make that clear enough and people are still convinced that Reach doesn't match based on skill resulting in more frequent lopsided matches than Halo 3.

Ehhhh, I don't know. I feel like I get more "wtf why am I playing this team/why is this kid playing my team?" matches in Reach more than halo 3 or 2

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Dirty posted:

It seems surprising. I was convinced for a while that they would be developing Halo 4 for both consoles, so that it can be either a launch title for the new console (unlikely) or a re-release further down the line like CEA.

I suppose if the new console has vastly different architecture, there's no cost saving in developing for both consoles at once - you still have to build for one then port to the other, might as well do the other later when there's specific budget for it.

Either way, I just assumed, with the 360 probably in it's last year, they'd put the big new trilogy on the new hardware. Or perhaps they want to hook players now, and Halo 5 will be next-gen only, making us all want to upgrade. Seems highly unlikely we'll see another Halo game on 360 after Halo 4. Just remembering how swiftly the original Xbox releases pretty much stopped dead the second the 360 came out.

Yep, seems odd that there probably won't be a new Halo or Gears of War game at the launch of the new system because both franchises will have had a game come out within the last year. Maybe Bungie's project Destiny will fill the spot and Epic will launch a new Microsoft only IP or something.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Happy 2nd birthday Reach (happy 23rd to me tomorrow :cool:)!

I remember right when I got my copy at midnight launch. I was holding this giant box trying to pretend to not be excited. I was power walking toward my car, which eventually turned to sprinting. Once I got in, I drove real fast out of the Gamestop parking lots. The other folks and I started honking our horns, and I was screaming in the car.

Ah. Great times. I'll never forget that. Can't wait for the 4th!

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

The other folks and I started honking our horns, and I was screaming in the car.

You're the biggest halo dork ever. Just so you're aware

Also 6th, unless you think it's coming out on a sunday

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

MickRaider posted:

You're the biggest halo dork ever. Just so you're aware

Also 6th, unless you think it's coming out on a sunday

My bad I knew it was coming out on the 6th

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Happy 2nd birthday Reach (happy 23rd to me tomorrow :cool:)!

I remember right when I got my copy at midnight launch. I was holding this giant box trying to pretend to not be excited. I was power walking toward my car, which eventually turned to sprinting. Once I got in, I drove real fast out of the Gamestop parking lots. The other folks and I started honking our horns, and I was screaming in the car.

Ah. Great times. I'll never forget that. Can't wait for the 4th!

If you go out at midnight to pick up a video game and you stay sober enough to remember in detail what the experience was like years later you have been ill advised as to how to conduct yourself at such an affair

Toxicirishmn
Aug 21, 2012

Only the dead have seen the end of war...
The one thing I don't get about Halo is why they still don't add 4-player splitscreen co-op.

Overall though I'd have to say I'm pretty excited about the release of this. The best part really will be that there is no flood!!

Looking forward to seeing in real time what 343 will have brought to the table.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

Yep, seems odd that there probably won't be a new Halo or Gears of War game at the launch of the new system because both franchises will have had a game come out within the last year. Maybe Bungie's project Destiny will fill the spot and Epic will launch a new Microsoft only IP or something.

Well, unless I'm mistaken, we've had a yearly release of some kind of Halo game for some time (CEA, Reach, ODST, Wars, 3). And, for that matter, this year's Gears of War is hot on the heels of last year's Gears of War, so we may still have something again next year for the Nextbox.

Although maybe they'll play it smart, and try to launch a new and exciting franchise with the new console. I know they were disappointed they couldn't launch a Halo game with Xbox 360, but they styled it out by saying that they didn't want to immediately define the new console as being a vehicle for Halo releases. And, back in those days, they did work pretty hard to come up with a raft of fresh IPs (hard pressed to remember what they were now, though). They should do that again this time. Save the Halos and GoWs for year 2 and come up with some new mega-property.

Or make Halo Wars 2, dammit. Hah, as if an RTS would ever be a console launch title these days.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Toxicirishmn posted:

The one thing I don't get about Halo is why they still don't add 4-player splitscreen co-op.
Because it takes a lot of power to render four different views of Halo-sized levels with fights/vehicles/etc., especially when you consider that campaign uses much more detailed models and textures than MP modes do in most of the Halo games. Allowing for 4P co-op would require making the game look pretty terrible in that mode.

Edit: Hell, even in Reach's MP the difference in draw distance and frames per second on a Forge World map is night and day going from one POV to four.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 16, 2012

Toxicirishmn
Aug 21, 2012

Only the dead have seen the end of war...

Because it takes a lot of power to render four different views of Halo-sized levels with fights/vehicles/etc., especially when you consider that campaign uses much more detailed models and textures than MP modes do in most of the Halo games. Allowing for 4P co-op would require making the game look pretty terrible in that mode.

Edit: Hell, even in Reach's MP the difference in draw distance and frames per second on a Forge World map is night and day going from one POV to four.

Yeah I see what you're saying, maybe they start thinking about this a bit more with the next generation consoles. I know we have the technology these days to create hardware that will support it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm not the only one seeing a lot of Metroid Prime in Halo 4's preview stuff am I? I've seen what's basically the power beam, plasma beam, x-ray visor, scan visor, and a lot of the helmets look like stuff from the Prime games. I don't have a problem with that because Metroid Prime is great, but it's a bit odd to me. Even the bad guys look like space pirates.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

If you've ever played a N64 this sort of statement really starts to ring.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not the only one seeing a lot of Metroid Prime in Halo 4's preview stuff am I? I've seen what's basically the power beam, plasma beam, x-ray visor, scan visor, and a lot of the helmets look like stuff from the Prime games. I don't have a problem with that because Metroid Prime is great, but it's a bit odd to me. Even the bad guys look like space pirates.

Nope, you are not the only one. This new alien race screams Metroid to me.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

RBA Starblade posted:

I think I mentioned Metroid in the other thread, but even if I didn't I thought the same thing as soon as I saw the campaign demo. And for some reason, I'm recalling that one of the designers for Halo 4 worked on the Metroid Prime games but I'm probably imagining it.

I can't wait to try Legendary in Halo 4 and the enemies are teleporting behind you after every shot :suicide:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

InfinEight posted:

I think I mentioned Metroid in the other thread, but even if I didn't I thought the same thing as soon as I saw the campaign demo. And for some reason, I'm recalling that one of the designers for Halo 4 worked on the Metroid Prime games but I'm probably imagining it.

I can't wait to try Legendary in Halo 4 and the enemies are teleporting behind you after every shot :suicide:

No, you are correct, a few of the people working on Halo 4 did work on the Metroid Prime series.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Oh good, I'm glad my memory sorta works still. I wonder if there will be any easter eggs related to Metroid snuck in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InfinEight posted:

Oh good, I'm glad my memory sorta works still. I wonder if there will be any easter eggs related to Metroid snuck in.

You'll be able to re-enact that Samus/Master Chief fan video that came out several years ago.

That ended with the Master Chief being a girl if I remember right. And I think there was a kiss.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Master Chief is my waifu so that works for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

No, you are correct, a few of the people working on Halo 4 did work on the Metroid Prime series.

Now I really can't wait to play Halo 4. :awesome:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I too am really excited for Metroid Prime 4!

But seriously, I love the Prime series, especially the environments. I really can't wait to explore the world this time.

Stormin Mormon
Nov 12, 2003

"Stormin'" since 1999
Mormon since 2005
For what it is worth, a friend of mine wants to play some old school Halo 3 jousting at 7:30 eastern. If you haven't pitched your copy of Halo 3 in the trash and would want to join us, send me a message at StorminMormonV2. I will be able to play for a couple of hours before cramming for a midterm.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Dirty posted:

Or make Halo Wars 2, dammit. Hah, as if an RTS would ever be a console launch title these days.

Alas, Ensemble is dead, and they died making a pretty fun console RTS (who knew it was possible)

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
New Halo Bulletin is up. It's about the Covey weapons: http://blogs.halo.xbox.com/Headlines/post/2012/09/19/The-Halo-Bulletin-91912-.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4NLJpTXOtU

No more Focus Rifle! I loved that thing. The Beam Rifle is back. Plus, I'm glad to see the Concussion Rifle return!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

New Halo Bulletin is up. It's about the Covey weapons: http://blogs.halo.xbox.com/Headlines/post/2012/09/19/The-Halo-Bulletin-91912-.aspx

No more Focus Rifle! I loved that thing. The Beam Rifle is back. Plus, I'm glad to see the Concussion Rifle return!

I'm gonna miss the focus and the needle rifle, even if they aren't as powerful as their human counterparts. The concussion rifle looked a lot less... concussive. More like a brute shot really.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Remember its a sequel to Halo 3, as they keep so kindly saying in every PR thing. And they needed a replacement for the Brute Shot anyway, so I am reading no Brutes in 4. (RIP Spiker)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

That sword assassination animation was badass, holy poo poo. :black101:

Honestly, the thing I got most from this video was that the new Spartan designs look pretty good in motion. Just looking at the artwork and such released of the new armor I wasn't totally sold on them and thought a lot of them looked downright bad, but seeing them in-game and in action they all looked pretty good to me.

edit: the redesigned guns look really cool, too. The carbine is especially good-looking this time around.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Dvlos posted:

Alas, Ensemble is dead, and they died making a pretty fun console RTS (who knew it was possible)

I know :( I'd like to think that Microsoft could give the project to another, equally-competent studio.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

That sword assassination animation was badass, holy poo poo. :black101:

edit: the redesigned guns look really cool, too. The carbine is especially good-looking this time around.

Everything looks the same to me except the sword and carbine look far nicer.

Dirty posted:

I know :( I'd like to think that Microsoft could give the project to another, equally-competent studio.

How many competent console RTS makers are out there :( Although I'm sure most of the Ensemble team is probably a part of Microsoft anyway.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
No Brutes, yet they have the Gravity Hammer?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Et tu Brute shot?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Vietnamwees posted:

Of course they would have the Grav Hammer. That would piss off a lot of Grifballers if they didn't put it in.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Grav Hams won't be in campaign I assume, unless elites go crazy or something. So it will be the first multiplayer only weapon?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It is a rogue faction of the Covenant military in the campaign, right? I guess they could just have a line somewhere saying that they raided a Covenant armory before splitting off to do their own thing, including a bunch of gravity hammers.

Just not having them in campaign works, too.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

BabyMauler posted:

Grav Hams won't be in campaign I assume, unless elites go crazy or something. So it will be the first multiplayer only weapon?

I don't recall the golf club ever coming up in reach's campaign.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

V for Vegans posted:

I don't recall the golf club ever coming up in reach's campaign.

I don't think that counts, it's just a reskin.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Dominion is the new Invasion

http://mobile.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/21/3365040/halo-4s-dominion-mode-delivers-a-sense-of-urgency-to-multiplayer

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Vietnamwees posted:

Didn't it say on the page that the grav hammer was "recovered" from a battlefield?

EDIT: GRAVITY HAMMER
DESIGNATION: T-2 Energy Weapon/Hammer
MANUFACTURER: Recovered from field (originally Sacred Promissory)
MAGAZINE CAPACITY: N/A

That's an easy way to shoehorn it in.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Dominion sounds cool as hell. I can see myself playing it a whole bunch of its good

• Locked thread