Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I thought this thread would be amused by a story from my little town in Oregon. A local businessman is opening a Tibetan restaurant, and had a gorgeous mural painted on the side of his building. Cue the Chinese consulate getting pissed and asking our mayor of to take it down. Pretty big news for a town of just over 50,000 people:

quote:

China asks city in Oregon to scrub mural for Tibetan, Taiwanese independence

By Isolde Raftery, NBC News
The Chinese government has asked a small city in Oregon to remove a mural that depicts Chinese riot police beating Tibetans and Buddhist monks immolating themselves in protest of Chinese rule, the Corvallis Gazette-Times newspaper reported.

Officials from the Chinese Consulate General in San Francisco wrote to Mayor Julie Manning of Corvallis, Ore., urging her to act to remove the mural.
"To avoid our precious friendship from being tainted by so-called 'Tibet Independence' and 'Taiwan Independence,' we sincerely hope you can understand our concerns and adopt effective measures to stop the activities advocating 'Tibet Independence' and 'Taiwan Independence' in Corvallis," said the letter, dated Aug. 8.

"There is only one China in the world, and both Tibet and Taiwan are parts of China,” the letter said. “It is a fact recognized by the U.S. and most other countries in the world."

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/12/13833952-china-asks-city-in-oregon-to-scrub-mural-for-tibetan-taiwanese-independence?lite

I went to go check out the mural today, and the owner of the restaurant was outside watering his plants. He told me that the painting was actually based on real photographs. I made sure to shake the guy's hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

It's time for laowai governments, organizers, and in this case restaurant owners to start using the China line when these diplomats show up to hector them: "gross interference" in our "internal affairs," "hurting the feelings of .3 billion American people," free speech is a "core issue," etc.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GuestBob posted:

So these are interesting times.

Anyone care to lay odds on what is going to happen in the Daioyu islands. Trade embargo? Attempt to blockade the islands (sailing in circles around a rock)? Piss and hot wind?

Also, who is next in line if Xi isn't going to take the top spot? Pro-PRC Laowai or Bloodnose?

Probably nothing major. Chinese navy is inferior right now. So the longer it waits, the better it is for China. But you can not avoid confrontation too much to be seen as coward from the internal pressure. Probably send a few ships over to circle it a few time to state the Chinese claim and maybe even touch the blumpers of the Japanese ships.

You have no idea how many brickering threads I read on the Chinese forum I hang out. Calling CCP eunuchs; calling Japanese goods boycotters hypocrites; linking the disappearing of Xi to Diaoyu conspiracists. You name it.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 13, 2012

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

It's time for laowai governments, organizers, and in this case restaurant owners to start using the China line when these diplomats show up to hector them: "gross interference" in our "internal affairs," "hurting the feelings of .3 billion American people," free speech is a "core issue," etc.

I wonder if people realize that there is something loss in translation when they say "hurting the feelings of the Chinese people". I read that line so often, but I keep thinking "Oh does China want it's Mom to kiss the boo boo and make it go away?"

Do Chinese people probably think the same way when our leaders go off talking about "freedom"? I wonder.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I imagine it is related to losing face.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Probably nothing major. Chinese navy is inferior right now. So the longer it waits, the better it is for China. But you can not avoid confrontation too much to be seen as coward from the internal pressure. Probably send a few ships over to circle it a few time to state the Chinese claim and maybe even touch the blumpers of the Japanese ships.

You have no idea how many brickering threads I read on the Chinese forum I hang out. Calling CCP eunuchs; calling Japanese goods boycotters hypocrites; linking the disappearing of Xi to Diaoyu conspiracists. You name it.

Which forum do you hang out at? I'm shopping for some Chinese-flavored time wasting.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 161 days!

Kaal posted:

I went to go check out the mural today, and the owner of the restaurant was outside watering his plants. He told me that the painting was actually based on real photographs. I made sure to shake the guy's hand.

It's like four blocks from my house. So glad we got the chance to Hurt the Feelings of the Chinese People.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

It's like four blocks from my house. So glad we got the chance to Hurt the Feelings of the Chinese People.

Yeah, and I was really amused by the implication that somehow this mural will lead to serious ramifications to our economic relationship. As if China is going to impose a Corvallis-specific trade embargo.

p.s. Sometimes I feel like half of Something Awful are secretly Oregoons.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Barto posted:

Which forum do you hang out at? I'm shopping for some Chinese-flavored time wasting.

无忌交流论坛

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 161 days!

Kaal posted:

Yeah, and I was really amused by the implication that somehow this mural will lead to serious ramifications to our economic relationship.

The Chinese government has been known to blacklist schools that, for example, invite the Dalai Lama to speak. The fact that this has nothing to do with OSU wouldn't stop them. The question nobody's been asking is how did they find about this in the first place? Some kind of internet data-mining software that looks for affronts to Chinese sovereignty? Or, more likely, some fuerdai shitbird at OSU? In that case, I say boycott away, I don't want snitches for the Chinese government in my community.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

The Chinese government has been known to blacklist schools that, for example, invite the Dalai Lama to speak. The fact that this has nothing to do with OSU wouldn't stop them. The question nobody's been asking is how did they find about this in the first place? Some kind of internet data-mining software that looks for affronts to Chinese sovereignty? Or, more likely, some fuerdai shitbird at OSU? In that case, I say boycott away, I don't want snitches for the Chinese government in my community.

It's my understanding that China has cited Chinese ex-patriots as the source of the complaints. I'd expect that it would probably be one of the Chinese international students at OSU, or perhaps a engineer visiting Hewlett Packard. It'd be truly unfortunate if OSU were blacklisted by China, though given OSU's booming enrollment the only ones hurt would be prospective Chinese students.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Kaal posted:

It's my understanding that China has cited Chinese ex-patriots as the source of the complaints. I'd expect that it would probably be one of the Chinese international students at OSU, or perhaps a engineer visiting Hewlett Packard. It'd be truly unfortunate if OSU were blacklisted by China, though given OSU's booming enrollment the only ones hurt would be prospective Chinese students.

OSU students is what I heard. Supposedly they contacted the consulate in San Francisco, and poo poo rolled uphill from there.

Going to see the mural tomorrow, I can try to grab pictures if anyone's curious.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

whatever7 posted:

Looks like you were right on target:

NYTimes posted:

On Friday, the Coast Guard identified two of the Chinese vessels as the Haijian 51 and Haijian 66, unarmed ships used for law enforcement in Chinese waters. It said the two ships entered Japanese-controlled waters near one of the islands early Friday morning, and left two hours later.

When a Japanese vessel warned the ships against entering Japanese waters, the Chinese replied that they were in Chinese territorial waters, and ignored requests to turn back, Japan’s Coast Guard said.

Hopefully this problem remains manageable. I'm sure there are elements of the CCP (and PLA) who would love to exploit this issue to strengthen their position in the current political mess.

From here.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 14, 2012

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Question: Is China going to go further down the road of liberal economics, or is going to stay within the relative area it is now which involves heavy government intervention and projects? In other words is it likely that in the not so distant future China will be practicing neo-liberal economics or will it continue on with its state captialist model?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

From my understanding, the state-owned enterprises are a major source of power and influence in China's graft-and-influence-driven personal network politics. I think it would take another Deng Xiaoping to take them down, and we're not likely to see a figure of that stature in the near future with how the party has been operating in the last couple decades. That, or it would take someone with amazing political chops to sideline them and start shrinking their power. Maybe someone with the skill and panache to fake his own disappearance? :tinfoil:

Barring an unusually strong and able leader who wants to get rid of them, I think the SOEs are here to stay for a long time, no matter what the head guy thinks. They're entrenched and they have powerful friends and patrons.

As for government intervention such as building infrastructure and messing with the central bank, I don't see that going away for decades. You have to understand how huge and how poor China really is. They could build infrastructure for another 20 years and not be finished.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 15, 2012

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Well the disappearing act has apparently ended

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2012-09/15/c_131852049.htm

Xinhua posted:

BEIJING, Sept. 15 (Xinhua) -- Vice President Xi Jinping arrived at China Agricultural University Saturday morning for activities marking this year's National Science Popularization Day.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cross-posting this article from the US Presidential Election thread:

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/mark-kitto-youll-never-be-chinese-leaving-china/

Subtitle: Why I'm leaving the country I loved.

Personally, I was rolling my eyes. A lot. I can certainly believe that China has problems (this thread discusses a lot of them), but I have no idea what sort of magical gumdrop wonderland he was expecting it to turn into while he was there. With nearly every complaint he mentions I kept thinking to myself "where exactly are you going now that isn't going to have these exact same problems? The United States? Great Britain? Canada?" I honestly just don't understand how he gets off saying that China is screwed because the culture places too much emphasis on the acquistion of money when...seriously, do I even need to write it?

For what it's worth, I find a lot of the same kind of naivete and clueluessness about current conditions in Western culture when I read expat takes on Korea. But I have no good perspective on China, so I'd like to know what you all think.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 161 days!

Some Guy TT posted:

For what it's worth, I find a lot of the same kind of naivete and clueluessness about current conditions in Western culture when I read expat takes on Korea. But I have no good perspective on China, so I'd like to know what you all think.

Yeah, I think you don't have a good perspective. Everybody who hears this stuff for the first time says "what, America isn't all about money and acquisition of material goods?" No, not compared to China it isn't. If you haven't spent time there you won't understand.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

When some people have lived abroad for awhile they start to idealize the way things were back "home" to a certain extent. Kind of like how various immigrants to the U.S. still wax poetic about the "old" country when the old country was most likely an eastern european impoverished violent shithole run by criminals or something. They project their own inner ethnocentrism onto their host country and the local people around them. Nations like China are certainly far more corrupt than the U.S. and probably have a lot more social issues to contend with but expats usually exist in such a privileged bubble anyways. Most don't know what true hardship living in a country like China means to begin with.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

There's also the matter of internalizing our own propoganda, like the melting pot. Immigrants had to fight tooth and nail for every right they have, and many of them die even today never having been considered "real Americans". It just strikes me as insultingly arrogant to go to a country that doesn't even have a history of this kind of inclusiveness and acting all butthurt because you're not "real Chinese" after sixteen years.

Does anyone have any articles about modern consumerism in China and how it compares to the West? I'd be interested in reading about it if it's actually significantly worse, but the guy who wrote the artice I linked did a really bad job explaining what was so uniquely bad about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well clearly the most obvious explanation for Xi's absence is that he has been replaced by a robot communist, or a commubot if you will. Other theories are really going too far out there.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

There's also the matter of internalizing our own propoganda, like the melting pot. Immigrants had to fight tooth and nail for every right they have, and many of them die even today never having been considered "real Americans". It just strikes me as insultingly arrogant to go to a country that doesn't even have a history of this kind of inclusiveness and acting all butthurt because you're not "real Chinese" after sixteen years.
Very few countries in the world have this concept of "melting pot." I actually don't believe it really exists at all unless you physically resemble the people in the host country and are willing to undergo vast cultural and in some cases religious changes to fit in. In which case you are mostly just becoming them anyways.

Even in western nations like the U.S., U.K., or Canada it's more like a tossed salad. People may mingle a bit here and there but there's not really that much interracial crossover when you look at the way neighborhoods, workplaces, and cities are orientated in the U.S. The vast majority of peoples till reside in neighborhoods of _X_ ethnicity which is usually their own. You might have interracial marriages and such but the identity of the offspring is usually pushed
towards the majority identity as well.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ethnic nationalism is a different animal though, in my opinion (PhD, MDPhD, BS). I completely agree that we have varying degrees of pluralism back in the States, but over here in Asia most countries are just getting to the place we were when the Irish and Italians were considered some kind of upright walking gorillas.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Some Guy TT posted:

Cross-posting this article from the US Presidential Election thread:

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/mark-kitto-youll-never-be-chinese-leaving-china/

Subtitle: Why I'm leaving the country I loved.

Personally, I was rolling my eyes. A lot. I can certainly believe that China has problems (this thread discusses a lot of them), but I have no idea what sort of magical gumdrop wonderland he was expecting it to turn into while he was there. With nearly every complaint he mentions I kept thinking to myself "where exactly are you going now that isn't going to have these exact same problems? The United States? Great Britain? Canada?" I honestly just don't understand how he gets off saying that China is screwed because the culture places too much emphasis on the acquistion of money when...seriously, do I even need to write it?

That article has good discussion in the comment section.

As far as Chinese focus too much on money. I have read a few similar comments like that.

I think on the one hand, people are not seeing the government is doing a lot of things not motivated by profile (see the theater system as an example) all in the name of control and stablization.

And secondly, the Chinese are not ready to embrace the traditional value (I would like to use the word confucianism but that word draw very negative reaction in China) because there are many landmine issues. "Making money" right now is kind of like the only issue both the various political fractions and the public can agree on.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
That's an old blog and seems to fit the other China thread here more than this one, but I'll say the same thing I said to my friend.
Very simply put, it is baffling to me how someone could live in China for 15+ years and take such a long time to realize that they're never going to be "one of them".
I realized that after about a week or two of living in China.
You don't have to "become Chinese" to have fun in China. There's a certain joy in showing people a different worldview/background that they might not get otherwise. And two people can be friends while still acknowledging that they have lots of differences.
He whines that China is promoting nationalism. So -- go to China, learn the language, talk with people and show them how nice and friendly foreigners are. If all the foreigners leave China (or live in China without learning the language, are blatant womanizers, etc) then where else are Chinese people supposed to get their impressions? Blame the government not the people...

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

hitension posted:

That's an old blog and seems to fit the other China thread here more than this one, but I'll say the same thing I said to my friend.
Very simply put, it is baffling to me how someone could live in China for 15+ years and take such a long time to realize that they're never going to be "one of them".
I realized that after about a week or two of living in China.
You don't have to "become Chinese" to have fun in China. There's a certain joy in showing people a different worldview/background that they might not get otherwise. And two people can be friends while still acknowledging that they have lots of differences.
He whines that China is promoting nationalism. So -- go to China, learn the language, talk with people and show them how nice and friendly foreigners are. If all the foreigners leave China (or live in China without learning the language, are blatant womanizers, etc) then where else are Chinese people supposed to get their impressions? Blame the government not the people...

I think what happened is that after so many years he finally seriously considered living there and raising a family there full time. Like that is his now his home country. Probably didn't think about it too much before then or didn't notice it as much.

What he says does have some truth to it. America, despite our ingrained racism is much more open to welcoming outsiders to be a "true" member of the country than many other countries. China, and actually Japan and Korea will never accept a foreigner no matter how many years they live there or probably even their kids, despite being born there.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jesus, anyone else following this anti-Japanese stuff on weibo? Major riots in Qingdao, Xian and Changsha today by the looks of it. Cars blown up, shops destroyed and looted and riot police out en masse...

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Magna Kaser posted:

Jesus, anyone else following this anti-Japanese stuff on weibo? Major riots in Qingdao, Xian and Changsha today by the looks of it. Cars blown up, shops destroyed and looted and riot police out en masse...

Imagine if some idiot posted a rabidly anti Chinese video with poor production values onto Youtube?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Full five minute hate. Really wild. (and terrifying)

Also trolling the West "Now this is controlled dissent"

Protestors get to fight cops and that social drama plays out, China gets to have riots that don't kill anyone ("Honk if you Respect Embassy Rights"), and they polarize their people against external opponents.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
This is only getting started, what do we have like 2 months until the government changes over? The government needs to make sure everyone briefly forgets about any real issues and channels their hate towards something other than their own government so the changes go smoothly. The predictability of it all would be funny if it wasn't so sad that people actually fall for this poo poo.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

So what happened to him? Did he get kidnapped and then return? No explanation as to why he missed all those meetings and disappeared from public view.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Arakan posted:

This is only getting started, what do we have like 2 months until the government changes over? The government needs to make sure everyone briefly forgets about any real issues and channels their hate towards something other than their own government so the changes go smoothly. The predictability of it all would be funny if it wasn't so sad that people actually fall for this poo poo.

Ah yes, obviously the government was behind it all, no one has their own views on the subject at all. No one *actually* hates Japan. What you are seeing is a managed letting off of steam. Don't let them protest and it'll explode beyond control. Manage the protest and it stays within reason.

Vladimir Putin posted:

So what happened to him? Did he get kidnapped and then return? No explanation as to why he missed all those meetings and disappeared from public view.

Oddly enough, there is absolutely zero reason to give any more explanation than has already been given. Anything they say will immediately be spun as lies and interpreted to mean it was far worse. As such, the best play is to not dignify the idiotic rumors with a response at all.

Pro-PRC Laowai fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 15, 2012

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Oddly enough, there is absolutely zero reason to give any more explanation than has already been given. Anything they say will immediately be spun as lies and interpreted to mean it was far worse. As such, the best play is to not dignify the idiotic rumors with a response at all.

He missed his meeting with Clinton and a PM from Denmark and disappeared for god knows how long. You don't think the people deserve an explanation?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Vladimir Putin posted:

He missed his meeting with Clinton and a PM from Denmark and disappeared for god knows how long. You don't think the people deserve an explanation?

Back injury was reported way back on the 4th by US officials. And no, I don't think the people deserve instant access to vitals, especially when all it lead to is MORE speculation, which is what happens every damned time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Christ, it looks like that Changsha store burning happened on Jiefang Road. It's one of the busiest roads in the city, I must have gone past that place a dozen times at least last year.

Between Vile Rat and riots on a familiar street the news has been too close for comfort recently. :sigh:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Ah yes, obviously the government was behind it all, no one has their own views on the subject at all. No one *actually* hates Japan. What you are seeing is a managed letting off of steam. Don't let them protest and it'll explode beyond control. Manage the protest and it stays within reason.

But the fact that this is "managed" dissent means that in a way the government is behind it.

As opposed to "trust no one" US dissent, a different management strategy :tinfoil:

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

McDowell posted:

But the fact that this is "managed" dissent means that in a way the government is behind it.

As opposed to "trust no one" US dissent, a different management strategy :tinfoil:

Well, if they try and stop it, then the anger is directed more at the cops and it just goes to hell fast. Cops hanging back and letting it happen have more of an ability to step in and go "ok, that's enough, you had your fun". No beatings, no tear gas, no rubber bullets as long as certain lines remain uncrossed.

Standing in the way of a mob like that... haha, good luck. You'll either lose badly and end up looking like stooges for the target, or you'll fight back and win and become WORSE than the target in the eyes of protestors. Annnnd, of course it's an excuse to get some smashy smashy out of your system for whatever reason as long as you say "gently caress japan".

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McDowell posted:

You can argue Beijing is experimenting new ways to express opinions without any official come out and say it. It's pretty impressive in how controlled it is in these days and age with all the internet/sms/weibo/qq communication freedom.

Only guys who got the short end of the stick were the Japanese car owners. I hope the insurance will cover it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Who put the Japanese cars there to begin with? :china:

:911: Here we hold property rights as sacrosanct. Get off my lawn, you loving kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Ah yes, obviously the government was behind it all, no one has their own views on the subject at all.

None that didn't come direct from CCTV at least. Are you denying that the state-run media has had a major hand in whipping up this hysteria?