Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Cool, thanks a lot. I vaguely knew it's basically oil and eggs, but didn't know it was that easy. Going to try out some pasta recipes with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ZylWJ1UXA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What's the healthiest way to make mayonnaise? It's so drat good, but there's so much oil and I'm not a hundred percent sure how much of that I should consume.

Hell, just how much mayonnaise can I eat before it becomes unhealthy? I don't have any concerns about weight gain, but rather any other health concerns that might be relevant.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As a condiment, it's fine. As a main course or a lifestyle, I'd avoid it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

What's the healthiest way to make mayonnaise? It's so drat good, but there's so much oil and I'm not a hundred percent sure how much of that I should consume.

Hell, just how much mayonnaise can I eat before it becomes unhealthy? I don't have any concerns about weight gain, but rather any other health concerns that might be relevant.

The "healthiest" way to make mayo is the traditional way. Sure you could probably cut calories and/or fat with certain emulsion stabilizers and hydrogenated oils and... but that is arguably not healthier.

If you have a healthy heart and are in decent shape there is no reason to fear a swoop of mayo on a sandwich.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

That's a relief. Another question: Balsamic vinegar in mayonnaise? I see some recipes on Google; anyone actually tried it?

I knew one guy who made mayo his lifestyle. Then he went from morbidly obese to one of those multilevel marketing self-help gurus, and I'm not sure which one I liked better.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

That's a relief. Another question: Balsamic vinegar in mayonnaise? I see some recipes on Google; anyone actually tried it?

How do you feel about brown-grey mayo?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Same way I feel about that sickly yellow mayo I buy in convenience stores, or even better depending on the grey to brown ratio.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
1. Any suggestions on what to do with the nice peeled 4 lb pork belly in my freezer? I'm baconed out, and have nowhere to hang a pancetta. Gonna make some char siu but I don't need that much. Have a new meat grinder that could get some action

2. Anyone have a recipe for tangy frozen yogurt? I ran with some knockoff pink berry that just had Greek yogurt and sugar and the taste was right, but it froze rock solid. Looking for a creamier consistency--up the fat content?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
How do you keep delicate fish from disintegrating in the pan when you cook it? I have access to very good flounder, and it's delicious, but it shreds when I try to flip or move it.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Cuddlebottom posted:

How do you keep delicate fish from disintegrating in the pan when you cook it? I have access to very good flounder, and it's delicious, but it shreds when I try to flip or move it.

Two wide enough turners, sandwich style? Alternately cook one side then finish under the broiler

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

King Bahamut posted:

1. Any suggestions on what to do with the nice peeled 4 lb pork belly in my freezer? I'm baconed out, and have nowhere to hang a pancetta. Gonna make some char siu but I don't need that much. Have a new meat grinder that could get some action

2. Anyone have a recipe for tangy frozen yogurt? I ran with some knockoff pink berry that just had Greek yogurt and sugar and the taste was right, but it froze rock solid. Looking for a creamier consistency--up the fat content?

For question 1: do the crispy Chinese roast pork belly: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chinese_Roast_Pork_Belly_%28Siew_Yuk%29_by_Wei or http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chinese_Roast_Pork_Belly_%28Siew_Yuk%29_by_Ziir

Or if you have some old kim chi, kim chi jiigae: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchi-chigae-kongnamool

Or Vietnamese braised belly: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Vietnamese_Braise_in_Caramel_Sauce_%28Th%E1%BB%8Bt_kho%29

For 2: I really love Jeni's frozen yogurt. It's more her ice cream base with yogurt added so isn't completely yogurty so probably isn't quite what you're looking for but it's really good.

Here's a write-up of a vanilla version: http://www.theyummylife.com/vanilla_frozen_yogurt

My favorite from the shop: http://www.publicradio.org/columns/splendid-table/recipes/lemon_frozen_yogurt.html

(I haven't made any of the frozen yogurt recipes so don't know how the home recipe version compares to the shop).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mich posted:

Or if you have some old kim chi, kim chi jiigae: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchi-chigae-kongnamool

Either make kimchi jiigae or this: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/doejibulgogi

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Cuddlebottom posted:

:3: Try packet cooking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n934RICyqGo&t=292s

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CzarChasm posted:

Just so I can understand your request, you're looking for a recipe aggregator that will let you choose recipes and then build a shopping list for you based on your selections?

I can see something like this existing and maybe even being profitable, but I'm not aware of such a beast existing.

There's this PC software called Accuchef, that lets you put in your recipes, then select the ones you're making, and builds a shopping list. Costs about $20. It also lets you set prices for your ingredients, so that you can figure out what each recipe is costing you. It also calculates nutritional info for you.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I'm just learning and trying to get better at cooking. I made a risotto tonight and I think it turned out pretty good, except the rice seemed a bit firm. How firm should the rice be in a risotto? Should it be mushy?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I'm just learning and trying to get better at cooking. I made a risotto tonight and I think it turned out pretty good, except the rice seemed a bit firm. How firm should the rice be in a risotto? Should it be mushy?

It should be tender. Arborio has enough starch content it shouldn't mush, but the sauce should be very smooth and thick, but the rice should still hold its individual shape.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
You shouldn't feel any tiny hard particles when you chew the rice. At leas that's how I'd describe it.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Dammit, that's what I thought. The sauce turned out really well, but the rice was too hard. Oh well, guess it's an excuse to try again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

When grilling a burger in a cast-iron pan, what's the trick for making the inside cook enough without burning the gently caress out of the outside? Just use thinner patties? Lower heat?

It seems like every time I try, I get a burger that's bleeding/mooing on the inside but is charred to hell on the inside.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

WampaLord posted:

When grilling a burger in a cast-iron pan, what's the trick for making the inside cook enough without burning the gently caress out of the outside? Just use thinner patties? Lower heat?

It seems like every time I try, I get a burger that's bleeding/mooing on the inside but is charred to hell on the inside.

The thicker it is, the lower the heat. A thin patty needs high heat to get some browning before it fully cooks through. A thick patty understandably needs less, because you need to wait for the heat to get to the inside of the patty before the outside gets burned.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Do this. Never cook a burg another way again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Do this. Never cook a burg another way again.

This looks amazing. Thanks for the link!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Dammit, that's what I thought. The sauce turned out really well, but the rice was too hard. Oh well, guess it's an excuse to try again.

Like the first 10 times I made risotto, the very middles of my rice were always a little hard and I couldn't get them not to be no matter how long I cooked it or how much stock I added, then I realized I was adding cold wine to the rice and I guess that fucks everything up so make sure you heat up all your liquids before you add them to the rice.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
I made lemon curd for the first time yesterday and, while it turned out really great and delicious, after spending the night in the fridge it seems to have separated:

The white stuff at the top is kind of like mousse, super viscous. The yellow part is very runny. Both taste good, and stirring it with a spoon will bring it all back together without a problem.

My question here is whether this is a good or bad thing? It smells and tastes fine, so I'm not worried that it's gone bad.

Also, is there maybe something I could have done to prevent this separation?

For reference, here's the recipe I followed: http://americanfood.about.com/od/desserts/r/lemcurd.htm

Since this was my first time, I didn't change the recipe at all.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Looks fine, sounds like maybe the butter didn't incorporate fully and that's separating out. Just mix and recombine.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
That is weird, I've never seen curd do that. The only thing I can thing of is maybe you didn't quite mix it well enough? If you under whip whole eggs you can get a similar effect.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

Casu Marzu posted:

Looks fine, sounds like maybe the butter didn't incorporate fully and that's separating out. Just mix and recombine.

Slifter posted:

That is weird, I've never seen curd do that. The only thing I can thing of is maybe you didn't quite mix it well enough? If you under whip whole eggs you can get a similar effect.

Yeah, I was thinking perhaps I didn't mix it together enough. Next time I make it I'll spend more time doing that and see what happens.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Cuddlebottom posted:

Here you go!

https://vimeo.com/35229150

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My chili plants are probably going to need bringing into the house from the green house in the garden since its already starting to get really cold. What kind of temperatures will they need to survive the winter?

Summer was so awful this year that I've got 1 poblano and 2 just starting to grow out of 2 poblano plants, 2 jalapeno plants and 2 cayenne plants :smith:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scott Bakula posted:

My chili plants are probably going to need bringing into the house from the green house in the garden since its already starting to get really cold. What kind of temperatures will they need to survive the winter?

Summer was so awful this year that I've got 1 poblano and 2 just starting to grow out of 2 poblano plants, 2 jalapeno plants and 2 cayenne plants :smith:

50s at night.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How long does ground beef stay good in the fridge, in an airtight container?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

How long does ground beef stay good in the fridge, in an airtight container?

Raw? Couple days at most.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

FishBulb posted:

Like the first 10 times I made risotto, the very middles of my rice were always a little hard and I couldn't get them not to be no matter how long I cooked it or how much stock I added, then I realized I was adding cold wine to the rice and I guess that fucks everything up so make sure you heat up all your liquids before you add them to the rice.

Thanks for the tip, I totally did exactly that, I added vermouth directly from the fridge. Next time I'll heat that poo poo up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

50s at night.

Well the house stays at 60 at the coldest so I might get lucky and they'll survive. I've not high hopes since sun will be so low but we'll see.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I hear a lot of hate for garlic presses. Out of curiosity, why is pressed garlic considered a bad thing compared to say, smashing it with the flat of a knife or some other method?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

A Bug posted:

I hear a lot of hate for garlic presses. Out of curiosity, why is pressed garlic considered a bad thing compared to say, smashing it with the flat of a knife or some other method?

Mostly because it's a one-trick pony that just takes up drawer space and is a pain to clean. Almost any time you're chopping garlic you already have a knife out to chop something else, and it doesn't really take long to just give the garlic once-over too.

smallTalkExpress
Dec 2, 2010
Alright, I've been using this sauce for years; but I have know idea what it actually is. I just add it to anything that's semi Asian. It is delicious, but I no nothing about it except for that smug looking man staring at me and BLACK BEANS. Does anyone know what type of sauce it is and where I can find some official uses for it?

smallTalkExpress fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 16, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That is not a man it is an ANGRY LADY.

Joe Son
Jul 23, 2009
I like making all my foods really spicy, but I don't like making all my foods wet with with stuff like habanero sauce. Red pepper flakes are good but not spicy enough. Is there another dry alternative that is spicier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ghost chili flakes?