Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

According to Nintendo's website, these are launch day games, not launch window.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Rayman Legends

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Assassin's Creed III

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two

Rabbids Land

Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed

Madden NFL 13

NBA 2K13

Transformers Prime

Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013

Game Party Champions

ESPN Sports Connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's not just the rhythm levels though.

Which still sucks regardless because the tricky chase levels in the previous game were loving amazing and a ton of fun.

Be that as it may (and, reminder, no one knows yet), I stand by my words. The sheer amount of whining in the old thread over it was ridiculous and what makes pre-release threads basically unreadable. I mean seriously:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This breaks my heart in ways I didn't know possible for a video game to do. Seriously; why did it come to this.

DoctorWhat posted:

That's unplayable. That's not a GAME. That isn't RAYMAN. gently caress this game if that's true. Holy poo poo.

fivegears4reverse posted:

And suddenly I don't care about Rayman Legends any more.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Talk about ruining what was once one of the most anticipated games at the Wii U launch.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

everyone who is of sane mental health would hate it.

MinibarMatchman posted:

If this is true, then what a way to singlehandedly gently caress up what should be a surefire masterpiece of a platformer.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
As far as console launches go.... That's fairly badass. Not many in the way of outright exclusives, but still, leagues better than the 3ds or Vita, or even what I can remember of the Wii,Ps3 or 360.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just realized my Wii Fit data will most likely never transfer over to the Wii Fit U. I guess my brain sot of expected it after years of the iOS stuff just working form device to device.

No big deal, I just use it for the scale pretty much these days, but me and my wife have 4 years of weight loss data stats in it which are kind of cool.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What is this rhythm stuff people are talking about with Rayman? I've seen a video where they said some levels will be timed to music but from some people's complaints I gathered they were putting in full blown Parappa style Simon-says levels. Watching footage from PAX, the game looks even more absurd than Origins with one area being a giant rotating maze with spikes everywhere.

e: Are they talking about Michel Ancel and the "musical maps?" They're the auto-scrolling levels you see in every platformer except every action you take adds to the musical theme.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 16, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Everyone who voted Waluigi instead of Waa is dead wrong and should be shot. :colbert:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

al-azad posted:

What is this rhythm stuff people are talking about with Rayman? I've seen a video where they said some levels will be timed to music but from some people's complaints I gathered they were putting in full blown Parappa style Simon-says levels. Watching footage from PAX, the game looks even more absurd than Origins with one area being a giant rotating maze with spikes everywhere.

e: Are they talking about Michel Ancel and the "musical maps?" They're the auto-scrolling levels you see in every platformer except every action you take adds to the musical theme.

The complaining was sparked by claims from a developer that a "good portion" of the single player campaign of Rayman Legends would be controlling Murphy (pushing platforms and other rather mundane activities) whilst watching an AI Rayman do the platforming. The concept of the musical levels themselves is not something I've seen people get annoyed by

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Is there any point to getting the 'pro' pack if you can expand the internal memory with USB storage? Is it going to be that only certain things can be on the internal memory, or is it going to be more open? I ask because the regular ol' white version is only $50 more in Australia (HOLY poo poo :siren: :supaburn: :siren:) but the 'pro' version is $80 more.

Not sure anyone would even know, but might as well ask.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bland posted:

The complaining was sparked by claims from a developer that a "good portion" of the single player campaign of Rayman Legends would be controlling Murphy (pushing platforms and other rather mundane activities) whilst watching an AI Rayman do the platforming. The concept of the musical levels themselves is not something I've seen people get annoyed by

If that's the case that's indeed horrible but every video and playable version of the game at PAX and Gamescom has been player controlled. I wondered what they would do in single-player with the levels where you need Murphy like moving the shield but hopefully they don't make the awful decision of punishing people who don't have a friend. Just give me an AI Murphy instead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cat doter posted:

Is there any point to getting the 'pro' pack if you can expand the internal memory with USB storage? Is it going to be that only certain things can be on the internal memory, or is it going to be more open? I ask because the regular ol' white version is only $50 more in Australia (HOLY poo poo :siren: :supaburn: :siren:) but the 'pro' version is $80 more.

If you've already got an external hard drive ready I don't really see a reason to buy the deluxe edition unless you want NintendoLand.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

cat doter posted:

The only reason to get the deluxe version is to get NintendoLand for about $10 cheaper than retail, plus a system stand and gamepad cradle. As far as internal storage is concerned, 8 and 32GB are almost equally useless if you plan on downloading demos or digital titles.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Oh wow Tank! Tank! Tank! went completely under my radar that looks incredibly fun. Any more details on it?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

computer parts posted:

If you've already got an external hard drive ready I don't really see a reason to buy the deluxe edition unless you want NintendoLand.

As for me, I went for the 50€ extra because a) I want Nintendoland b) black looks nice and c) the 10% saved on digital purchases (hopefully!) applies to eShop games such as Trine et al. as well, not just to full retail games. I pretty much never buy those digitally on consoles but saving 10% on Virtual Console stuff and smaller games over two years might still add up to 10-20€. In that case, 32GB might actually last me a while, too, although I do have an external HDD around if it gets too bad.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Oh wow Tank! Tank! Tank! went completely under my radar that looks incredibly fun. Any more details on it?

My friend Dan is working on it.

He's the guy in red.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well the Walmart near me didn't have any pre-orders at all. The guy didn't even know what I was talking about. Their online pre-order is only for their $400+ bundle and everywhere else I looked seems to be out. Anyone still having success with finding online pre-orders?

Really wish Amazon US was doing pre-orders.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bland posted:

The complaining was sparked by claims from a developer that a "good portion" of the single player campaign of Rayman Legends would be controlling Murphy (pushing platforms and other rather mundane activities) whilst watching an AI Rayman do the platforming.
And it wasn't just a random developer, it was the lead game designer.

I'm relatively convinced that it is more than half of the game and not less than half of the game. Ubisoft revealed back at E3 that their reason for developing for Wii U was to have the ability to develop for smartphones/iPhone as well:

Yves Guillemot posted:

"The new content you can't port on the other machines but what you can do is port it to mobile phones and to tablets. So it's a way to create content that you will be able to port on the generations of tablets or phones that work well,”
Recently Ubisoft released a Rayman endless runner on the apple app store. I think Rayman Legends follows this design philosophy, of designing a game specifically around the tablet, so that it can be ported easily to other tablets and smartphones.

I'm not saying that this is a glorified mobile game, but it is designed so that a mobile version is easy to make. And if that's the case, then there's no way that the majority of the game is platforming. The majority of the game will be Murphy, I'm sure of it.

I could live with that if the co-op version of the game was online, but I'm pretty sure that Rayman Legends has no online co-op; only leaderboards for 'skill challenges'. Either way it's a legitimate let-down and no one is whining for what amounts to being tricked.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

And it wasn't just a random developer, it was the lead game designer.

I'm relatively convinced that it is more than half of the game and not less than half of the game. Ubisoft revealed back at E3 that their reason for developing for Wii U was to have the ability to develop for smartphones/iPhone as well:

Recently Ubisoft released a Rayman endless runner on the apple app store. I think Rayman Legends follows this design philosophy, of designing a game specifically around the tablet, so that it can be ported easily to other tablets and smartphones.

I'm not saying that this is a glorified mobile game, but it is designed so that a mobile version is easy to make. And if that's the case, then there's no way that the majority of the game is platforming. The majority of the game will be Murphy, I'm sure of it.

I could live with that if the co-op version of the game was online, but I'm pretty sure that Rayman Legends has no online co-op; only leaderboards for 'skill challenges'. Either way it's a legitimate let-down and no one is whining for what amounts to being tricked.

If this is the case, especially considering traditional levels have been the only ones demonstrated to the media, reviewers are going to eat the game alive. I hope whatever Ancel said was a misunderstanding because no interview or media demonstration has mentioned this until now.

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

RAM: 2GB total; 1GB for games and 1GB for system software.

I don't understand this, how could a console possibly need a gigabyte for it's operating system? Windows 7 doesn't even use that much.

Surely 1.5GB for games and 512MB for system software would make more sense.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

If they really did something like that it would probably negate all the good will they got for the first Rayman origins :(

The reason why people like that game was because it was a simple and beautiful made 2D platformer that was masterfully made.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeeDless posted:

I don't understand this, how could a console possibly need a gigabyte for it's operating system? Windows 7 doesn't even use that much.

Maybe you can do video chat and stuff right from in-game. Also I thought W7 required 2 gigs of RAM because it used 1GB?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

There were a lot of people who thought they could do that with the PS3 and got burned.

I can promise you that there will be mountain of people doing that with the Wii U so you're going to have a flooded secondary market to go with the possibility that the Wii U will get off to a slow start (though I think that's unlikely). You've got a get rich quick scheme that's pretty obvious and that's going to reduce your return considerably.

Basically high effort, minimal reward with the added bonus that you're killing your soul a little bit by trying to exploit people.

Who was the goon that took a picture with his 14 wii consoles and got the forum title "I RUINED CHRISTMAS"? I forgot

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Robolizard! posted:

Who was the goon that took a picture with his 14 wii consoles and got the forum title "I RUINED CHRISTMAS"? I forgot

This is the first I've heard about this. Any idea how much money he ended up making off them?

LeeDless
Mar 28, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Maybe you can do video chat and stuff right from in-game. Also I thought W7 required 2 gigs of RAM because it used 1GB?

It seems to be a little less than that. With 4GB of RAM I usually have between 21% and 24% memory usage when I don't have anything running.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeeDless posted:

It seems to be a little less than that. With 4GB of RAM I usually have between 21% and 24% memory usage when I don't have anything running.

Well in that case presumably it could do with even less because W7 stores stuff in open space in your RAM to make applications open faster or something like that. I know it uses more the more RAM you have. It is a mystery.

I dunno, it's possible that either the Wii U OS does a lot of poo poo(remember it's a whole social network!) or they're just trying to future proof it a bit so if they decide to make it do more it doesn't get bogged down.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

They could also do what they did with the 3DS and patch it so games can tap into the OS ram as well

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Robolizard! posted:

Probably io_burn:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I know gently caress all about tech, but surely 1GB for the OS isn't that weird if this is a device that streams 2-3 things at once (the console and up to 2 controllers)?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Welp, put my money where my mouth is. Going all-in on Wii U deluxe and ZombiU. You win Nintendo.

japtor posted:

Probably io_burn:

Holy gently caress, that thing about children in the hospital is abhorrent!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LeeDless posted:

Multi-tasking. Reggie has said you can minimize the game you're playing and do other poo poo unlike the current consoles which require you to exit a program before opening another. So you can play your game, browse the store, and look up a video walkthrough without exiting anything.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Almost Smart posted:

The only reason to get the deluxe version is to get NintendoLand for about $10 cheaper than retail, plus a system stand and gamepad cradle. As far as internal storage is concerned, 8 and 32GB are almost equally useless if you plan on downloading demos or digital titles.

Also it's black.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

japtor posted:

Probably io_burn:

Wow the children's hospital thing and how he referred to those who helped him as "pukes" makes him a really big piece of poo poo

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

al-azad posted:

Multi-tasking. Reggie has said you can minimize the game you're playing and do other poo poo unlike the current consoles which require you to exit a program before opening another. So you can play your game, browse the store, and look up a video walkthrough without exiting anything.

Plus if you're going to be battling your friend and you are using the Gamepad to view in CoD: Black Ops II for example, you still need a high frame rate and more importantly, a consistent framerate. I might be wrong but I believe that's 60 frames per second on the HDTV and 30 frames per second on the GamePad. That takes a lot of resources.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm really tempted to buy one especially since it seems they are getting rid of the stupid wand that you have to wave around for every single first party Nintendo game. I don't mind having to move the game pad a bit but the gimmicky crap that Nintendo keeps shoving onto their consoles is getting ridiculous.
I get the feeling as though they may be learning their lesson but I'm sure that if they can make the game play difficult simply through enforcement of requiring using touch screen, movement and not allowing play with the control sticks, they will.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Eej posted:

Also it's black.

Yeah, I guess there's that too if that kind of thing is important to you. My Wii U is going in the same place occupied by my Wii - literally right behind the tv (I have an LCD sitting on a stand originally made for one of those fat rear end CRTs). In my case, the Wii U could be adorned with rhinestones in the image of two guys loving and it wouldn't make much difference to me. Your mileage may vary though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Question about the Pro controller: Any word as to whether it can be used instead of the Wii Classic controller for Wii games that support it?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mak0rz posted:

Question about the Pro controller: Any word as to whether it can be used instead of the Wii Classic controller for Wii games that support it?

I'm pretty sure that's what it is replacing.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Mak0rz posted:

If it's anything like the setup on the Wii whenever you're playing older games it wont recognize newer items. So i'm guessing no until they say otherwise. Now as for whether you can use your Classic Controller instead of having to buy a Pro Controller? That's up in the air. I haven't found an answer on that yet. I'm going to guess 'Yes' though because most games you can use the Wiimote/Nunchuck and that fits in that category.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I'm torn on whether or not to get a Wii U. I told myself last year that I'll only buy myself one next gen console. But some of these games look like a lot of fun. I just don't want it to turn into a dust collector like my Wii did.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've decided that I'm going to get the Wii U, though probably not at launch.

I'm curious why it's coming out first in North America and not Japan :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just secured a preorder for the regular model. I had no idea the Premiums would move so fast! I won't get my hands on it till Christmas, so let's hope ZombiU comes out by then.

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm curious why it's coming out first in North America and not Japan :confused:

This is not unheard of.

• Locked thread