Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Bombadilillo posted:

Anyway if smug fans is your kryptonite thing how the hell do you stomach reading about the ps3, or worse, the 360 fans, or worse pc supremacists?

I don't encounter any of those types of people in this forum. It's only the Nintendo ones, and I don't understand why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Almost Smart posted:

I don't encounter any of those types of people in this forum. It's only the Nintendo ones, and I don't understand why.

You're not reading the right threads, trust me.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Almost Smart posted:

It's all the threads, including the PC threads for crossplatform games (although I'm kinda one of the PC guys).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Almost Smart posted:

Out of curiosity, beyond my one purposely smug post. Did the rest of the thread seem too self congratulatory to you?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Astro7x posted:

I'm assuming that huge Red spike in Wii sales was New Super Mario Bros. Wii, correct?

Wow that leap is insane -- I guess it was included in a bundle at that time? I don't even consider myself super picky but even playing with a few friends I didn't find the game that great -- fun in the moment, sure, but not like really compelling or anything I really wanted to finish. That seems crazy to me how much of a system seller it was

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

goferchan posted:

Wow that leap is insane -- I guess it was included in a bundle at that time? I don't even consider myself super picky but even playing with a few friends I didn't find the game that great -- fun in the moment, sure, but not like really compelling or anything I really wanted to finish. That seems crazy to me how much of a system seller it was

I think the bundle with the red Wii actually came later. 2009 was just the standalone release. It turns out the first 2D Mario on home consoles in 14 years was kind of popular.

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 17, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

goferchan posted:

Got kids? I played the game with my kids and it was great. From the best to the worst everyone had fun, hard section, theyd kill themselves and bubble till we could get past it and then come back. I don't see its as a great beer and chips college dorm game, but it was great at what it tried to be.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's always like this, no matter how many awful Mario spinoffs come out, any game that has both Mario and Bros. in the title will sell like crazy. I would sell out of even NSMB for the regular DS every other day, regularly, til like maybe a month ago...when NSMB 2 came out... :aaaaa:

I read an article somewhere that observed that sales were so big that if the ONLY games released for the GBA/DS ever were the Mario Advance games and New Super Mario Bros., they still would have been financially successful systems for Nintendo.

Nintendo, as a brand, definitely lacks the luster it used to have, but any side scrolling Mario Bros. game is an automatic hit. Gaming has grown up a bit in that we're way beyond the point where Nintendo and other old guard were dropping games every year that were completely redefining how video games function, but There's no way the WiiU won't be a success for them.

That said, I hope they really roll out the red carpet consistently for third parties and don't make publishing anything on their online service the worst experience ever again. I feel like this is a really critical time for the company. With the original Wii you could tell in all the presentations and how they conducted themselves that they knew it was going to be huge, but here they have this really short window to keep getting stuff like Mass Effect and Call of Duty on it and looking slightly better than on 360/PS3 (impossible from Activision, but possible from say Ubisoft or EA and others). Like if they can drop Battlefield 3 on it running at 60FPS or still locked at 30FPS but looking even slightly better than on 360 it would be a huge deal.

Unlike with the previous generation, the big games of the past year (excepting the few AAA Call of Duty games) are selling way less than they used to, part of it's because the economy sucks, people are bored with their current systems, etc., but it's interesting because it puts publishers in a position where just dropping a ton of ports the first year like with the Wii isn't going to get the easy sales like it did, so they have an opportunity to focus on the newer stuff making it on.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 17, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Also Mii's.

My kids love mii's, you have no idea how many pages of miis I have on my Wii right now. They have put hours into making them, and any game where you can play as them gets bonus points right there. So Mario platforming with Chewbacca and Jack Black mii's. NSMBU is going to be so drat fun!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bombadilillo posted:

Out of curiosity, beyond my one purposely smug post. Did the rest of the thread seem too self congratulatory to you?

Dude's initial post was fairly reasonable and a hundred people jumped down his throat for it, so yeah, people are way too touchy. Then again, pre-release console thread.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Does anyone know of a place still taking reservations for the premium version? Every GameStop ever no longer takes reservations for it apparently

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

horchata posted:

Does anyone know of a place still taking reservations for the premium version? Every GameStop ever no longer takes reservations for it apparently

It might be too late to preorder one. Id call around to tagerts, walmarts, places like that. You can try Best Buy, but the word is they are taking preorders with no regard for how many consoles they will actually get in.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

It might be too late to preorder one. Id call around to tagerts, walmarts, places like that. You can try Best Buy, but the word is they are taking preorders with no regard for how many consoles they will actually get in.

The Walmart online store still takes preorders but you have to purchase the whole thing :(

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

horchata posted:

The Walmart online store still takes preorders but you have to purchase the whole thing :(

It might just be my area, but when I go to Walmart's website and try to pre-order a deluxe model it lists it as not shipping until 12/31.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

horchata posted:

Ouch. That sucks, their "bundle" is like 400 too if I remember.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
you can reserve the non-bundle version but I had to navigate a bit

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Apologies, that's a massive error. I won't use CVG as a sole source again. I've amended the OP with this.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

So no Nsmbu or ZombiU? Wow.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

ZombiU is due out before the end of the year

Neo Rasa posted:

[...]
Nintendo, as a brand, definitely lacks the luster it used to have, but any side scrolling Mario Bros. game is an automatic hit. Gaming has grown up a bit in that we're way beyond the point where Nintendo and other old guard were dropping games every year that were completely redefining how video games function, but There's no way the WiiU won't be a success for them.

It lacks the luster mostly because gaming journalism has been making GBS threads on them for a decade, proclaiming their imminent failure, while they continually sell gangbusters and people eat it up.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bombadilillo posted:

So no Nsmbu or ZombiU? Wow.

NSMBU and ZombiU are launch day games. He was correcting the OP, not listing all of the launch day games.

edit: My source is Nintendo.com which lists both for Nov 18th.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

horchata posted:

you can reserve the non-bundle version but I had to navigate a bit

If you have a link to this handy (deluxe version please) I would be very grateful. I was going to buy the bundle but I realized that all I really need day 1 is NintendoLand and NSMBU. and not a wiimote I'd be paying extra money for.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Whoa, new Nano Assault game is looking good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

What are you guy's looking at getting at launch?

I'm thinking.

NSMBU
ZombiU
Nintendoland from deluxe bundle
~Rayman will be rent and see.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm thinking.

NSMBU
ZombiU

This exactly all coming from different corners of the internet. ZombiU, Rayman and a WiiU Delux from Bestbuy instore pickup, NSMBU from Amazon and a whole second WiiU Deluxe from Wallmart.com I figure I'll be playing something by Tuesday at the latest, depending on if Best Buy fucks up everything and I have to wait for shipping on Amazon/Wallmart. Whichever console I get I'll just return the other, seems like a plan :D

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'll get the deluxe console with Nintendo Land as pack-in, and use the premium promotion to download Black Ops II and New Super Mario Bros. U.

This seems like a better idea for NSMBU, but you can't sell used downloads, hmmm...

Fatal fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 17, 2012

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm thinking.

NSMBU
ZombiU

I'll get the deluxe console with Nintendo Land as pack-in, and use the premium promotion to download Black Ops II and New Super Mario Bros. U.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
heres the non-bundled delux version
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-...ntlyViewedItems

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Note to Angry Catterpillar: The OP indicates that the Wii IR sensor bar doesn't come included in the Wii U Basic box. Nintendo's official website says that it is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bombadilillo posted:

NSMBU, ZombiU, Nintendo Land from the bundle, and I just ordered copies of Xenoblade and The Last Story which I'm keeping unopened until I get mine. I'll probably pre-order Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate when I pick it up.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I totally forgot about this. I like that Nintendo is following suit to demand simultaneous digital/physical releases of games, because one of my favorite things about the Vita was being able to digitally purchase those "little" games like Lumines so you could just jump in and play without swapping carts. I'm probably going to wind up blowing a ton of money on digital Wii U stuff in this environment.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chronojam posted:

ZombiU is due out before the end of the year

It lacks the luster mostly because gaming journalism has been making GBS threads on them for a decade, proclaiming their imminent failure, while they continually sell gangbusters and people eat it up.

That reminds me, in the late nineties and early 2000s Nintendo's website had the coolest thing. If you went to https://www.nintendo.com/status, you'd just get a white screen and simply an "Okay." in size 12 Times New Roman. It was always the thread closing link when console warrior arguing got out of hand.

Honestly though, proclaimed doom or not (and you're right gaming media had poo poo all over Nintendo routinely for years) they did lose a lot of luster for me. I'll the reasons why for me are Mario spinoffs, Other M, and their refusal to do anything really interesting with Legend of Zelda.

In the Gamecube's early years they had stuff like Rogue Leader, Animal Crossing and Eternal Darkness where they were really going outside of Pokemon/Mario territory, and they had they major balls to bring not only bring out the DS, but kill the GB brand entirely instead of doing the three pillars thing with a home system, game boy, and weird experimental other handheld. Kirby Canvas Curse, WarioWare (and this was a huge one, WarioWare GBA, more than Mario Party, created a genre), all those games had some serious polish. Go back further and you'd have one publisher putting out things as disparate as Uniracers, Star Fox, Super Metroid, Super Punch-Out!!, etc.

These days though they were dropping stuff like Mario Sports Mix and Wii Motion Party on the Wii and expecting them to be taken as seriously as something like Mario Galaxy. Bwah? I'm aware that in Japan there were some more interesting things published on the Wii by Nintendo but I don't think they would have made a serious impact in the US as something applied to their major franchises. Remember the makers of the Conduit (I know Sega published but bear with me)? They were making a bloody gladiatorial combat game with heavy amounts of customization as well as a very fast Left 4 Dead clone, those got canned so they could do a cookie cutter sci-fi FPS sequel to a cookie cutter sci-fi FPS that no one wanted a sequel to. Higher Voltage Software, you started with White Men Can't Jump on the Jaguar and out of nowhere came close to touching the stars. Why settle?

With the WiiU Nintendo has a machine that can theoretically make everyone happy, I just hope they make the most of it and get that level of diversity and ambition back. Right now NSMBU and ZombiU will keep me happy. ZombiU especially, and of course anything Platinum puts out I'm getting ASAP, but I'd love for Nintendo to really reach out and do something outside of the expected. Sci-fi Zelda spinoff (they can't do an equivalent of Ultima Underworld series and just use the name to push whatever odd adventure game concepts they have kicking around?), Eternal Darkness 2, whatever, those two things will never happen but anything.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

For launch, assuming I can afford it, I'd like to get ZombiU and either Mario or Rayman depending on the buzz.

backtracking a bit, I don't want to start another argument about whether the Wii U is a stupid console for babies or whatever, but something bears repeating for the new thread: The Wii's dearth of certain big budget titles of particular genres aren't so much a matter of graphics as they are of feasibility. Games like Assassin's Creed and Dead Rising and HD Call of Duty explosion fests could not be made on the Wii, either because it wasn't powerful enough, didn't have enough storage space, or the control options weren't adequate. The Wii U can run these sorts of games, and it can run them, judging by the specs, better than the 360. It has an abundance of control options out of the gate, and it has plenty of storage for the average user and easy expandability. Unless and until the next console cycle popularizes a new style of game that can't be done, then the Wii U can still get ports of those big games, maybe with some graphical bells and whistles turned off, but not a paltry imitation like Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
So if I preorder on walmart.com, what are the odds my order will actually ship on November 18th? Is there a nontrivial possibility that I'll be waiting until Christmas or later to actually receive the console?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It won't actually let me check out. It hangs and then has a 404 iframe.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chaltab posted:

The Wii U can run these sorts of games, and it can run them, judging by the specs, better than the 360. It has an abundance of control options out of the gate, and it has plenty of storage for the average user and easy expandability. Unless and until the next console cycle popularizes a new style of game that can't be done, then the Wii U can still get ports of those big games, maybe with some graphical bells and whistles turned off, but not a paltry imitation like Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop.

One thing they really need to do is make that new pro controller a standard with all SKUs some time next year.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

One thing they really need to do is make that new pro controller a standard with all SKUs some time next year.
I don't see why they need to do that. The Gamepad has all the functionality of the pro controller and then some, so it makes a lot more sense to only sell the pro controller to people who really want or need it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Astro7x posted:

I buy Nintendo for Nintendo franchises.

You're smart.

Nintendo has had an abysmal history in regards to third party support for their consoles that goes back three console generations. Having delusions that it will be different this time is foolish. It's like people trying to insist that the next Sony/Microsoft consoles won't be more powerful than the Wii U, these will be the same people who insisted the difference between the Wii and the PS3/360 wouldn't be much either and look at how that turned out.

Nintendo have currently positioned themselves where because they're first out the gate, they can wrangle a lot of quick ports from third parties who are willing to test the waters with the Wii U for minimal cost and effort. Will Nintendo still have smooth sailing once the next PlayStation and Xbox release? Chances are very slim, and if you're expecting third party publishers to prioritize the Wii U just because it has a bigger install base, you need only look at the Wii to see that simply doesn't work. Third party games sell terribly on Nintendo consoles which is why publishers abandoned Nintendo.

Maybe things will be different this time perhaps, but I wouldn't consider it wise to bet on that happening. I think that if you're going to buy the Wii U, buy it because you love Mario, Zelda and Metroid games (I'd say StarFox and F-Zero too but who knows if/when Nintendo will bring those franchises out of retirement) and enjoy them, investing $350 on a piece of hardware because you think it will still have solid third party support three years from now is very risky.

I'll also add that like people said in the previous thread, I think that Nintendo purchasing Platinum Games would be very wise. They already appear to be quite close (Platinum is making two Wii U exclusives, and they've expressed interest in making a StarFox game) and I'm of the opinion that Nintendo simply don't have enough studios to pump out enough exclusive games for both their handheld and home console systems. If they could get Platinum Games on board, that would certainly be a big help to their sparse release schedules and make the Wii U a more attractive console to purchase in my opinion.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Hopefully the third party publishers will put up their stuff for download too.

Fatal posted:

This seems like a better idea for NSMBU, but you can't sell used downloads, hmmm...
I thought about this when buying NSMB2 and figured I'd probably never sell the drat thing anyway so bought digitally there. Considering my nephew still plays NSMB Wii occasionally when he comes over I'm guessing U will probably get a long play time too.

Chronojam posted:

So they're better off than Apple was 15-20 years ago :v: (they were legitimately failing as opposed to Nintendo's more or less consistent business)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My only concern with wii u specs is the lack of info on the CPU.

My other concern is that Microsoft will switch to a subsidy model which will let them put space age tech in their box if they wanted to. I still think such a model would prove ultimately unpopular with gamers, though.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Dude's initial post was fairly reasonable and a hundred people jumped down his throat for it, so yeah, people are way too touchy. Then again, pre-release console thread.

"But other threads/posters do it too :smuggo:"

MUFFlNS posted:

I'll also add that like people said in the previous thread, I think that Nintendo purchasing Platinum Games would be very wise. They already appear to be quite close (Platinum is making two Wii U exclusives, and they've expressed interest in making a StarFox game) and I'm of the opinion that Nintendo simply don't have enough studios to pump out enough exclusive games for both their handheld and home console systems. If they could get Platinum Games on board, that would certainly be a big help to their sparse release schedules and make the Wii U a more attractive console to purchase in my opinion.

My only real concern with them purchasing Platinum and foisting a bunch of franchises on them is that I don't want a repeat of Rare, where it gets pretty obvious near the end of their relationship that they've started to/have already lost the "thing" that makes Platinum loving rad.

That said, for all my pessimism, if Platinum gives us Star Fox: Climax Assault and it's basically a seven hour on rails + all range mode shooter that's faster paced than Afterburner Climax, Nintendo wins, goddamnit.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Game journalists love talking about how Nintendo is TOTALLY GONNA FAIL THIS YEAR GUYS despite the fact that they've posted just one year in their entire history of profit loss. I think it's mostly cause Nintendo still makes bright colorful rated E games and game journalists know their market is teens who only consider games good if it has an M rating and has guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Chaltab posted:

Note to Angry Catterpillar: The OP indicates that the Wii IR sensor bar doesn't come included in the Wii U Basic box. Nintendo's official website says that it is.

Yeah, apparently me and my sources were confused because the sensor bar is being included in that supplemental package with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. Not sure why they'd sell the sensor bar separately if it was included in both packages. Or maybe that's just for Europe?

• Locked thread