Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

al-azad posted:

Crytek said they would like to see 8gb next console cycle. I definitely believe RAM is the most crippling factor in consoles but that's pretty overkill for a dedicated system.

Crytek is bad at optimizing video game engines. They'd love for your PC to have 32 gigs, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Friend got a Walmart order in for me, "Arrives by Mon., Nov 26" :raise:

Chaltab posted:

What are the current rumors? Even to be proportional to the difference between Wii and the rest of 7th gen, they'd have to have at least 5GB. At that point it's diminishing returns because no game yet created has used that much RAM, even on PCs where configurations with 16GB are common on high-end gaming machines.
Last I saw was something like 2-4GB for the PS and 6-8GB for the Xbox...with half reserved for the OS, the whole media hub thing PaletteSwappedNinja mentioned above. I think PS is supposed to have a stronger GPU though.

Whatever the case the Wii U will be out in two months while the others won't be out for another year+ and ultimately nothing is actually confirmed about them at this point, so I'm not caring too much about those right now. Either way the Nintendo system is default for me for Nintendo stuff, and hopefully better Japanese support a la Platinum this time around.

Worst case I buy another system again, which could be a while cause I'm weird. I didn't get a 360 until late 2009 I think, that was pretty much for Trials HD when the 360 dropped to $199. Most of my 360 library is Sega arcade games and Cave shooters, then Platinum, Capcom, and a few other outliers.

Bombadilillo posted:

Console architecture really inst comparable to a pc setup. Would it really bump a price up 100-200$ to double the ram? Is the ram used here that special? I know the edram is. I just don't get it.
It's all graphics memory (GDDR) for the whole system. And I guess if it's all on a single system on a chip ("SoC") design more memory might increase the die size (or denser memory parts) which would increase the cost of production. Hell if I know costs, but small savings add up over millions of consoles and over the life of a production run as costs can get reduced.

Chronojam posted:

Crytek is bad at optimizing video game engines. They'd love for your PC to have 32 gigs, too.
Good thing they're moving to a free to play strategy :shepface:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

japtor posted:

Good thing they're moving to a free to play strategy :shepface:

TBH Warface looks rad as gently caress.

I can't wait for the next Direct because I need to know what titles I can just download through the Wii U shop.

I'm also interested in what kind of little mini-games will come out for the console. Wouldn't hurt to get a free HD angry birds and other little free/1 buck touch games.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The WiiU is gonna dominate Christmas this year. I had thought they might have some trouble cause of people thinking it's a new controller for the Wii, or a Wiii, but if people are already selling out of preorders of the black one a couple days after the thing was announced, I guess those concerns were overblown. Plus the scarcity will help turn it into the "must-have" this year.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bobnumerotres posted:

TBH Warface looks rad as gently caress.

I can't wait for the next Direct because I need to know what titles I can just download through the Wii U shop.

I'm also interested in what kind of little mini-games will come out for the console. Wouldn't hurt to get a free HD angry birds and other little free/1 buck touch games.

We know Trine 2, Nano Assault Neo and Toki Tori 2 will be there at launch, and that other stuff is in the works like Bit.Trip.Runner 2, Mighty Switch Force HD, whatever the Word of Goo dudes' new game is called, etc.

As for retail releases, all first-party stuff will get a simultaneous digital release, and they're "strongly encouraging" third-party publishers to do the same.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

As for retail releases, all first-party stuff will get a simultaneous digital release, and they're "strongly encouraging" third-party publishers to do the same.

I don't even see why they need encouragement. You get to sell the game with one less middle man taking a cut of the revenue, and there's no expense for discs.

I'm going to try to go all-digital with the U. Screw swapping out discs or worrying about losing things. I'll obviously make exceptions for finding cool games in bargain bins but in that case I hope you'll be able to install it and never fumble with the disc again, like steam-enabled games.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Im buying Nano assault right away, that thing looks awesome.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't even see why they need encouragement. You get to sell the game with one less middle man taking a cut of the revenue, and there's no expense for discs.

I'm going to try to go all-digital with the U. Screw swapping out discs or worrying about losing things. I'll obviously make exceptions for finding cool games in bargain bins but in that case I hope you'll be able to install it and never fumble with the disc again, like steam-enabled games.

A lot of people don't want to buy digital because Nintendo (almost) never discounts any of their digital games, whereas retailers regularly discount stuff, including at launch. You see people complaining about it re: the 3DS all the time, and on that platform there's a lot more value in buying digitally - namely, being able to have the game right there on the system menu at all times and not have to worry about carrying the cart around - but the Wii U doesn't even have that advantage, so I wonder how it's gonna play out.

Nintendo's strategy is supposed to including retail, eShop and digital download cards sold by retailers, allowing customers to hunt around for deals in whichever format they like without undercutting the retailers, but things haven't exactly worked out that way.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if you could switch from whatever game you're playing to a different game the same way you can on 3DS, as long as the current game is closed. Although with the amount of memory dedicated to the OS, you might be able to store the session iOS-style. I'll be interested to see just how deep their OS is.

The problem I have with Nintendo's digital strategy is that they've somehow strongarmed Gamestop into never discounting their digital codes, and I expect that to continue. I remember some people thought "oh we'll still be able to get this game cheap digitally because it'll be cheap at third-party retailers" but that doesn't seem to be the case.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nintendo's strategy is supposed to including retail, eShop and digital download cards sold by retailers, allowing customers to hunt around for deals in whichever format they like without undercutting the retailers, but things haven't exactly worked out that way.

I can't see Nintendo doing sales on their eShop. I mean, maybe they will, stranger things have happened, but if they undercut retailers Gamestop and such will raise a big stink about it.

Even though they have no business strategy for the future, as a gaming company there is no reason good enough to sour your relationship with The Game Store of America.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bombadilillo posted:

It definitely pulls off some high quality lighting effects.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

Bombadilillo posted:

Hell yeah. Looks a like a greatly expanded Super Stardust HD, which after Dark Souls is probably the most hours I've put into a game on my PS3. I'm all over that.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Bombadilillo posted:

The guys at Shinen are technical wizards. It is amazing how much their small team has managed to pull off on Nintendo's consoles and handhelds.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 17, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/17/capcom-hints-at-more-wii-u-projects

Good job IGN, way to take his warning not to be misinterpreted.

He meant that as a very polite way of saying "Don't get your hopes up."

Also: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/13/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-wiiu-trailer

This game is so loving ridiculous. What kind of major flaws did it have and is there a chance they were fixed?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuwxsZL6beY Oh wow they really tore it a new one.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 17, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

The problem with that is that nearly every single content producer in the transition to digital has seen that as an opportunity to pocket extra revenue instead of reducing prices to encourage more sales. Games, books, movies, television; if they were part of one of the big producers then the digital versions wound up costing more than the physical because of an absolute determination to live in denial of basic economics. Until there's a fundamental change in how content producers are viewing digital distribution the pricing is going to be bad.

(Before anyone chimes in, there are a couple huge exceptions to this in Valve and Amazon. Both of whom look at pricing from a retailer perspective and have economists on staff to help work out the optimal way that they can get people to constantly throw money at them.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I haven't played Ninja Gaiden 3 but from what I gather people hated it because they removed a ton of stuff for no reason and slapped a terrible Other M-level story on top.

Everything I've read about the Wii U version suggests it'll be significantly different - lots of stuff added back in, lots of new content, etc. Apparently Nintendo themselves have been working on it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Kamiya is awesome/:psyduck:

...it is in Nintendo Land after all :tinfoil:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^^^ Huh?

Random Stranger posted:

Until there's a fundamental change in how content producers are viewing digital distribution the pricing is going to be bad.

When Steam started releasing digital games and such, I had heard from multiple sources that they were going to reduce the price of the games somewhat, on top of not having to pay taxes.

Gamestop and other big brick and mortar stores stomped and cried that this was unfair competition, and threatened to do all sorts of ridiculous things in order to counter/protest services like Steam. I imagine the same would happen if Nintendo's eshop undercut Gamestop.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

japtor posted:

Kamiya is awesome/:psyduck:

...it is in Nintendo Land after all :tinfoil:

Whoa, what the? Now that's a really drat obscure pick for Kamiya: Japanese Edo period Zelda clone.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

japtor posted:

Friend got a Walmart order in for me, "Arrives by Mon., Nov 26" :raise:

I think that has more to do with what shipping option you picked
it says it'll arive between november 21-26 for me

edit: just placed my order and it says November 26 as well, but I'm assuming thats the last day it may arrive

horchata fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 17, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I haven't played Ninja Gaiden 3 but from what I gather people hated it because they removed a ton of stuff for no reason and slapped a terrible Other M-level story on top.

Everything I've read about the Wii U version suggests it'll be significantly different - lots of stuff added back in, lots of new content, etc. Apparently Nintendo themselves have been working on it.

I remember reading that there was regenerating health after each section of enemies, basically taking out a lot of the difficulty in the Ninja Gaiden games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut posted:

Whoa, what the? Now that's a really drat obscure pick for Kamiya: Japanese Edo period Zelda clone.

It's not really a Zelda clone, beyond being a top-down, screen-based thing. No puzzles, no items/upgrades, no real exploration, all action.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Astro7x posted:

I remember reading that there was regenerating health after each section of enemies, basically taking out a lot of the difficulty in the Ninja Gaiden games.

Also in the vanilla release of the game...you only have the dragon sword. The WiiU version will have all the weapons added back in, I believe these were released later on on 360/PS3 as DLC packs.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Policenaut posted:

Is it really that obscure when you think of the Nintendoland mini games?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

^^^^^^ Huh?

When Steam started releasing digital games and such, I had heard from multiple sources that they were going to reduce the price of the games somewhat, on top of not having to pay taxes.

Gamestop and other big brick and mortar stores stomped and cried that this was unfair competition, and threatened to do all sorts of ridiculous things in order to counter/protest services like Steam. I imagine the same would happen if Nintendo's eshop undercut Gamestop.

Hmm, I don't recall anyone ever vocally giving a poo poo about Steam. Green Man Gaming has XCOM for 10% off while Steam is full price and there's no bad blood between retail or digital stores.

And every (smart) retailer like Gamestop and Amazon's response has been to open their own digital store (hell, Gamestop carries Steam cards despite owning a competing service Impulse). And now they have their own tablets, app stores, and streaming services of their own. You either keep up with the competition or die.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

al-azad posted:

And every (smart) retailer like Gamestop and Amazon's response has been to open their own digital store (hell, Gamestop carries Steam cards despite owning a competing service Impulse). And now they have their own tablets, app stores, and streaming services of their own. You either keep up with the competition or die.

Impulse had an awesome sale on PC games a bit ago. I guess what I heard was bullshit then.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It was never released outside of Japan, it's never had a sequel, the developers were nobodies and it wasn't particularly popular in its day. As far as Nintendo console games go it's as obscure as they get.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's not really a Zelda clone, beyond being a top-down, screen-based thing. No puzzles, no items/upgrades, no real exploration, all action.

Ohhh I see now. Taking a look at a few videos, I could definitely see how he could translate that sort of thing to a modern gameplay style. Of course, all I can think of is Devil May Cry meets Ninja Gaiden.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Impulse had an awesome sale on PC games a bit ago. I guess what I heard was bullshit then.

Their prices for major stuff are often in synch with Steam's too. You can walk into a GameStop and get codes for demos from their site too, they have a rotating group of stuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut posted:

Ohhh I see now. Taking a look at a few videos, I could definitely see how he could translate that sort of thing to a modern gameplay style. Of course, all I can think of is Devil May Cry meets Ninja Gaiden.

It wes essentially a one-button game, too, so it could serve as a template for a more accessible third-person action game, kinda like Other M was supposed to be (but without being terrible).

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Gonna wait until Metroid U is released before I consider the Wii U. :smug:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Video of Nazo no Murasamejou for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXLEtKo5jcY
I can definitely see it working if he wants to do it.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

How many have heard of it outside of Nintendo Land? (I haven't)

On that note, another video of the Pikmin Nintendo Land game, kind of a fast arcadey multiplayer beat em up version of Pikmin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhyqhiHI7yU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Didn't realize NSMBU was going to be so violent:

(Walmart's website, noticed it after pre-ordering)

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

FPzero posted:

Didn't realize NSMBU was going to be so violent:

(Walmart's website, noticed it after pre-ordering)

It seems Nintendo took requests for something different in NSMB a bit literally.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It seems Nintendo took requests for something different in NSMB a bit literally.

The DS Mario had a scene near the beginning where Bowser drowns in lava and turns into a skeleton. I was pretty horrified.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Everything plays and looks exactly the same, but stomping on enemies results in real time flesh deformation with four layer models of bone and muscle damage. Stomped on enemies do not fall off of the screen or fade away.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Do they usually have pre-orders before ESRB ratings are out? I imagine that's why the warning is there.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6c_4tGIto

During this video they mention downloadable levels. Huh?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bobnumerotres posted:

The DS Mario had a scene near the beginning where Bowser drowns in lava and turns into a skeleton. I was pretty horrified.

It wasn't that bad but it was surprisingly jarring since the rest of the game was so drat bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You think that was jarring? Ladies and gentlemen, Bowser's death in Mario's Missing. Having played this game right after playing World, I was shocked by how bad it was and the rather violent ending.

• Locked thread