Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

joshtothemaxx posted:

Here's a cross post from the Football Manager thread. If you don't play FM then this won't be funny to you, but if you do you will certainly get a great kick out of it. It even has photorealistic images of dead people!

I was getting disturbed all through that story. Then the ending took me by complete surprise.

Excellent story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Here's a cross post from the Football Manager thread. If you don't play FM then this won't be funny to you, but if you do you will certainly get a great kick out of it. It even has photorealistic images of dead people!

I could never get into FM, but I really appreciated the ending. :golfclap:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Having played Blood Bowl, I know that feeling very well.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
That Football Manager 2012 creepypasta was awesome, and I don't normally like videogame creepypastas. Or play FM, for that matter.

Meanwhile, this came out on Godzilla Replay:

I'll admit, it gave me the creeps. It's an evil Moai zombie :cry:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Tardigrade posted:

That Football Manager 2012 creepypasta was awesome, and I don't normally like videogame creepypastas. Or play FM, for that matter.

Meanwhile, this came out on Godzilla Replay:

I'll admit, it gave me the creeps. It's an evil Moai zombie :cry:

Man, you should've posted the part that was actually scary.

Seriously though, i kinda like how it's obviously not taking itself very seriously this time.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Here's a screencap from a thread in 4chan called 'Generic videogame creepypasta':

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Goddammit Rocketflex, stop trying to make me fall off my chair with anticipation and post the next chapter already!

:argh:

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Or at least tell us if you're never going to finish it. :(

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
It'll be finished. I've been working on a few projects as well as starting a rather grueling new job.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Pop Fiction just did an episode about Seth Killian's infamous alleged Mega Man 9 secret. I know Pop Fiction isn't always the most reliable source, but I still feel pretty comfortable at this point saying that this is one secret that just isn't going to be found (if it's real, of course).

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

InShaneee posted:

Pop Fiction just did an episode about Seth Killian's infamous alleged Mega Man 9 secret. I know Pop Fiction isn't always the most reliable source, but I still feel pretty comfortable at this point saying that this is one secret that just isn't going to be found (if it's real, of course).

Given how hard they looked, maybe it's not something that's findable in the maps or gameplay.

Maybe it's something numerical. Like, a 1/100000 chance of something special dropping. Like, in a random screen, shoot 100000 of one enemy and boom, he drops an easter egg from like Street Fighter.

It'd probably be easier to open the code and look for a strange string of words.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Mister Roboto posted:

Given how hard they looked, maybe it's not something that's findable in the maps or gameplay.

Maybe it's something numerical. Like, a 1/100000 chance of something special dropping. Like, in a random screen, shoot 100000 of one enemy and boom, he drops an easter egg from like Street Fighter.

It'd probably be easier to open the code and look for a strange string of words.

Well they said that since the code of the game has been looked over numerous times that the secret must be something using in-game assets. Whatever it is probably isn't very exciting.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Ez posted:

Well they said that since the code of the game has been looked over numerous times that the secret must be something using in-game assets. Whatever it is probably isn't very exciting.

Yeah, but if the code is something innocuous like, oh, (enemy deathx10000=item reveal) it'd probably not get noticed, ever, unless someone actually had the time and obsession to try it on every single screen.

Or maybe it's something stupid like the minus world in Mario bros or some bizarre weapon combination that produces a flashy easter egg when used on a specific enemy.

Which means it wasn't discovered simply because it would require so many, many, many hours of testing.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Mister Roboto posted:

Or maybe it's something stupid like the minus world in Mario bros or some bizarre weapon combination that produces a flashy easter egg when used on a specific enemy.

Wasn't the minus world originally actually a glitch?

E: Ok, yeah it was.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 20, 2012

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, but if the code is something innocuous like, oh, (enemy deathx10000=item reveal) it'd probably not get noticed, ever, unless someone actually had the time and obsession to try it on every single screen.

Which means it wasn't discovered simply because it would require so many, many, many hours of testing.

Yeah, but the item that would be revealed would have to be something already seen in the game as nobody found any odd sprites in the code.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dylan-D posted:

Yeah, but the item that would be revealed would have to be something already seen in the game as nobody found any odd sprites in the code.

Or a combination of sprites. That aren't normally combined otherwise.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Or just completely non-existent or misremembered, and no one wants to say that.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It's probably like the old God of War easter eggs where the game basically goes 'Hey GG dude' after a long time of playing.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

It's probably like the old God of War easter eggs where the game basically goes 'Hey GG dude' after a long time of playing.

Abe's Exoddus was probably the worst case of a game doing this that I've ever seen. Your reward for rescuing all 300 Mudokons was... a slideshow of concept art that you've almost certainly already looked at.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Castomira posted:

Abe's Exoddus was probably the worst case of a game doing this that I've ever seen.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

What possible reward can live up to getting 100% completion in games though? Most of them nowadays are so tedious and long I think whatever you get as a reward will never feel worth it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
No in-game tangible reward will ever live up to it. That's why I don't think games should include one, so that your only drive to 100% is the reward of accomplishment. Including a reward, especially a minimal one, cheapens the feeling.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The problem is, in my experience, once you go to all the tedious trouble of 100%ing a game you tend to have no desire whatsoever to play again

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Opopanax posted:

The problem is, in my experience, once you go to all the tedious trouble of 100%ing a game you tend to have no desire whatsoever to play again

This is also very true.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Guys I think you're all clearly forgetting about a little game called Spyro the Dragon :colbert:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The problem with 100% completion rewards is that they can't be any kind of gameplay, since more gameplay implies you have not played the game 100%.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Rocketlex posted:

The problem with 100% completion rewards is that they can't be any kind of gameplay, since more gameplay implies you have not played the game 100%.

Saints Row had a ton of side missions that counted towards 100% and that was actual gameplay.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tardcore posted:

Saints Row had a ton of side missions that counted towards 100% and that was actual gameplay.

But that doesn't make them gameplay you're rewarded with after you've 100 percented the game.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Electric Pope posted:

Guys I think you're all clearly forgetting about a little game called Spyro the Dragon :colbert:

Thank you for reminding me, the original trilogy had the best 100% rewards. In the original, you unlocked a really neat flying puzzle level. In Ripto's Rage, you opened up an amusement park complete with movie theater, tunnel of love, a kick rear end roller coaster, and a dunk tank! I don't remember the third too well, but I do remember getting massive amounts of gems and something involving a UFO.

TechnicalDifficulty
Mar 8, 2009
The Donkey Kong Country games had more than 100%, I think it was 101%, 102% and 103% for DKC1, 2 and 3 respectively. Although I don't remember if the extra percentage came from extra content unlocked after getting 100% or if it was just a thing you could do.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Rocketlex posted:

I wonder how gameplay that's only unlocked at 100% (and thus does not count towards that total) would be received by gamers.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

UglyDucklett posted:

Thank you for reminding me, the original trilogy had the best 100% rewards. In the original, you unlocked a really neat flying puzzle level. In Ripto's Rage, you opened up an amusement park complete with movie theater, tunnel of love, a kick rear end roller coaster, and a dunk tank! I don't remember the third too well, but I do remember getting massive amounts of gems and something involving a UFO.

The best part of Spyro 3's bonus level was taking back every single gem you had ever had to fork over to that drat robber baron bear. :vd:

Andante
Jul 3, 2008

TechnicalDifficulty posted:

The Donkey Kong Country games had more than 100%, I think it was 101%, 102% and 103% for DKC1, 2 and 3 respectively. Although I don't remember if the extra percentage came from extra content unlocked after getting 100% or if it was just a thing you could do.

This is correct, but they went even higher than that! If you collected all of the bonus mini-games and coins, you would get 101, 102 and 103% completion for DKC1, 2 and 3 respectively. However! If you entered a special code in the beginning of the game to make it harder (by removing midway barrels and/or DK barrels) you could get even higher percentages as a reward. I think the max in DKC3 was something like 107%. Still not as silly and irrational as the exploration percentage in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Andante posted:

This is correct, but they went even higher than that! If you collected all of the bonus mini-games and coins, you would get 101, 102 and 103% completion for DKC1, 2 and 3 respectively. However! If you entered a special code in the beginning of the game to make it harder (by removing midway barrels and/or DK barrels) you could get even higher percentages as a reward. I think the max in DKC3 was something like 107%. Still not as silly and irrational as the exploration percentage in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Well, SoTN just covered how much of the map you had seen and would go up to 200% as you explored the 2 copies of the map. Then you get various bugs and other unintended effects that let you get to places off the map that the game still counts on your percentage.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Suspicious Dish posted:

No in-game tangible reward will ever live up to it. That's why I don't think games should include one, so that your only drive to 100% is the reward of accomplishment. Including a reward, especially a minimal one, cheapens the feeling.

Opopanax posted:

Hence achievements.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

San Andreas gave you a tank and a harrier jump jet at your cul-de-sac house, that's a pretty ballin' 100% reward if you aren't into using cheats or schlepping to Area 51 every time you wanted to go on a tank rampage.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Ez posted:

What possible reward can live up to getting 100% completion in games though? Most of them nowadays are so tedious and long I think whatever you get as a reward will never feel worth it.

Kingdom Hearts 1 had a balls crazy FMV of hooded figures fighting thousands of dudes while running up skyscrapers in the city from Bladerunner.

That was pretty cool. Everybody thought it was a trailer for a sequel.
Tragically, it was.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Ez posted:

What possible reward can live up to getting 100% completion in games though?

Any sort of significant unlockable in modes that aren't the campaign and/or the real ending being unavailable until you get 100%.
Starfox 64, Bomberman 64 and Jet Force Gemini come to mind. Especially Bomberman because the big reveal is mindblowing if you don't know about it beforehand (and are in middleschool).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Not really a hoax or a rumor, but I remember playing the original starflight in the mid 80s and discovering three things that always frustrated me.

The first was that, at some point, you could encounter the Enterprise (from Star Trek) and it would just stop next to your ship. If you tried the communicate with it, it would just open blank dialogue, and after awhile it would just fly away, unless you blew it up.

Then there was some race that only transmitted binary, and no mater what you responded with, their god like ships would make your face explode. My friends and I were convinced you could, somehow communicate with them, but we never figured it out.

And lastly on some planet you could discover an "endurium" (or whatever the fuel was called) replication device which was just a tiny bit too big to fit in your rovers cargo hold.

The thing was, back in the pre-Internet days it was nearly impossible to find out if this stuff actually had a purpose, or if it was just a joke put there by evil loving devs bent on torturing the minds of 10 year olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I wouldn't mind post 100% completion content if getting 100% was a reasonable time investment and was enjoyable.

Getting 100% of GTA San Andreas is pretty absurd, you encounter a handful of each type of hidden items playing through the areas that the story takes you to. There's hundreds of collectibles between tags, horseshoes, sea shells and photos, with no assistance other than a stat for how many you have. It's tedious and not worth the trouble.

Getting 100% in Bully was very reasonable, especially in the Scholarship Edition as the geography class let you see them on your mini map.

Crackdown 1 was possible too. IIRC you could get a stat for how many orbs remained in each zone and they made a ringing sound that got louder the fewer there was. Also loving about trying to climb stuff was fun.