Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Of course every software engine developer wants the consoles to have turbo boost and run on rocket fuel. They're not paying for the gas, they're just slapping on their logo and grabbing up all the royalties.

Just look at some of the stuff Crytek has said they want in consoles.

Seems like the little developers are scrared how much better graphics are going to cost to develop.

The liscenced engine designers want it to be prohibitably expensive to use anything but them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Who cares? Most games made with Unreal Engine are pieces of uninspired poo poo anyways.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Louisgod posted:

I think there's a difference between architecture and engines, though, even though they go hand in hand in a way. I know it seems like I'm trying to twist the narrative to fit my points, but do you or others honestly not see the WiiU being the home to dumbed down ports or at least home to ports from the current generation like it's already becoming (ME3, Batman, etc.)?

Those ports are mainly for people who only had Wiis or just skipped those games. That said I really doubt that year-old ports will sell at all.

I can definitely see Tekken selling, but Batman? Everyone's loving played batman. It's truly a fantastic game and a must-play but seriously?

quote:

Who cares? Most games made with Unreal Engine are pieces of uninspired poo poo anyways.
1. A lot of developers use the unreal engine. It makes it so easy to develop a game it's crazy and usually worth the expense.
2. A lot of major games use the Unreal Engine and believe it or not aren't all the same. They've made sports games on the drat thing.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 17, 2012

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Louisgod posted:

I think there's a difference between architecture and engines, though, even though they go hand in hand in a way. I know it seems like I'm trying to twist the narrative to fit my points, but do you or others honestly not see the WiiU being the home to dumbed down ports or at least home to ports from the current generation like it's already becoming (ME3, Batman, etc.)?
That's not necessarily an indicator of the future. Of course EA and WB want to throw out some basic ports of existing games to get something on there in time for launch, especially on an untested console from a company with a historically underwhelming attache rate for AAA third party titles. They're not like Ubisoft, willing to risk a bunch of money making a new exclusive title.

If the trend continues well into next year, then there may be cause to worry.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Edoraz posted:

I hope you're prepared for the WiiU ports of all that "uninspired poo poo" like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Arkham and Borderlands.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

AngryBooch posted:

I hope you're prepared for the WiiU ports of all that "uninspired poo poo" like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Arkham and Borderlands.

To be fair, Edoraz said most. Naming four games doesn't negate Edoraz' point.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

His point was that it wouldn't matter if UE4 wasn't on the U. But it does matter, a lot, unreal engine is kind of a big loving deal.

Of course it's going to run on the U though, like others have said they're just bluffing, they need those royalties and won't say no to money. They lose absolutely nothing by licensing it to a game that fails.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Louisgod posted:

Oh i'm absolutely certain the WiiU will get every garbage everything ever. Even more so than the Wii since it'll be able to handle stuff within the realm (even if it just winds up at the welcome mat) of the other systems later and all the systems now as well no doubt being cheaper to develop for later on when compared to the newer 720/PS4. It has that interesting middle ground that really makes it the target of everything.

Louisgod posted:

This is the big point: The engine can run on the WiiU and other platforms, but at what sacrifice, and will developers choose it over UE3 even if it means they'll have to spend more on development costs? It's good to see that Epic was just blowing smoke up people's asses.
The funny thing with Epic claiming the engine was coming 5ish years down the line but scalable so it'd be useable now it's a wonder if it'll be worth it for most developers who aren't EA to use it at all in comparison with UE3. The industry itself is at a really weird place and it's kinda interesting how much of a crap shoot everything could be just based on a few extra dollars here and there on either end of the coin.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 17, 2012

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Paper Jam was right, I said MOST. Also, I find Bioshock to be among those uninspired shits. :)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Man software has come far. I remember playing a Bioshock Demo for the first time and wondering when the hell this airplane crash cutscene was going to end, and then I twitched the joystick and my character moved.

I was like "Holy loving poo poo the game actually looks this good."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Was Borderlands 2 confirmed for the Wii-u or something? All I read was one blurb about the developers really being into the system but porting it was just a "maybe"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

Was Borderlands 2 confirmed for the Wii-u or something? All I read was one blurb about the developers really being into the system but porting it was just a "maybe"

It hasn't been confirmed. Anyone who wants it will get it on the PC anyway, wouldn't be financially viable to port it months late.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Wii U browser has tabbed browsing, screenshots, HTML5, but no Flash!

From what I've read, the browser sounds better than what I expected it to be. It's also the quickest browser in Nintendo history according to Nintendo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Folt The Bolt posted:

From what I've read, the browser sounds better than what I expected it to be. It's also the quickest browser in Nintendo history according to Nintendo.

HTML5 means Youtube, so I'm happy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I just assume that the tablet screen will get a virtual keyboard, it has to right?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The statement only holds true because it is true of most games in general. Name another game engine with 4 franchises from 4 different developers like that.

Also, if you don't like Bioshock Edoraz, what about Mortal Kombat, XCOM Enemy Unknown, Dishonored, Bulletstorm (all different developers again). These are the kinds of games and developers that allow a system to keep its momentum going when a huge 1st party game isn't slated for a nearby release. Unreal Engine support is hugely important in that regard and has become ingrained in many development houses.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Louisgod posted:

This is the big point: The engine can run on the WiiU and other platforms, but at what sacrifice, and will developers choose it over UE3 even if it means they'll have to spend more on development costs? It's good to see that Epic was just blowing smoke up people's asses.
Well to be honest I still don't see what the big deal about UE4 is; some of the new stuff they showed in the tech demo looked like it had no practical application to gaming.

Typically new engines are more about helping developers work smarter and faster, so developers may still want to use it. I have no idea what the license cost will be for UE4 vs UE3.

But of course Epic will put UE4 on Wii U because of the royalties/license fees they collect. Seems to me like the kind of money you can make on engine licensing is fuckin' nuts.

e: on second thought that unintentional pun looked too intentional, I'm takin it out

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DoctorWhat posted:

HTML5 means Youtube, so I'm happy.

That'll come in handy. Youtube guides are so much better than wasting time trying to find poo poo on GameFAQs.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's also the quickest browser in Nintendo history according to Nintendo.

That doesn't really mean much considering how slow the Wii and 3DS browsers are. Still, good to see it's not just a throw away browser, tabbed browsing is huge.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

That'll come in handy. Youtube guides are so much better than wasting time trying to find poo poo on GameFAQs.

Plus dedicated ram, so you can pause game, pull up youtube without shutting it down! Good times. Every system will probably do this next gen I hope.

Android gaming has spoiled me for pausing anywhere and cominc back to that spot later.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

The statement only holds true because it is true of most games in general. Name another game engine with 4 franchises from 4 different developers like that.

Also, if you don't like Bioshock Edoraz, what about Mortal Kombat, XCOM Enemy Unknown, Dishonored, Bulletstorm (all different developers again). These are the kinds of games and developers that allow a system to keep its momentum going when a huge 1st party game isn't slated for a nearby release. Unreal Engine support is hugely important in that regard and has become ingrained in many development houses.

Alright, you got me, those are good games coming out or are out. I think its time for developers to own up and make actual good games, though. All the graphics and shortcuts in the world can't save you from making a bad game if it has no design sense towards fun. I'm just a little burnt from the Xbox/PS2 to early PS3/360 age.

I probably judge this poo poo too harshly, and get mad at video games when I shouldn't. Angry classic gamer?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chaltab posted:

Sony and MS would be fools not to set their Next Gen specs at a level that makes it an immediately noticeable upgrade from the Wii U. The big question is how will developers respond.

You'll get your AAA titles that take advantage of it, sure, but a lot of games are still going to look no better because there is no budget for it.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Louisgod posted:

When talking about the U having modern architecture, and thus being more likely to be able to share in the future next-gen multiplat scene, I have been under the impression that it is the the feature set of the graphics processor that is being referenced.
Even though so many people like to say that it is "7 year-old tech", it is pretty obvious that the gpgpu that Nintendo has developed for the U is considerably more modern than that. As far as I can tell, what is expected of the nextbox/S4 is that they will be bigger and noisier than the U, packing more grunt, but not a significantly different feature set.

So down-ports will be dumbed-down, in that some graphical settings will be turned down, some effects will be faked, 720p/30FPS will be targeted as opposed to a smoother framerate and higher resolution, stuff like that. That's my guess, and my take on the possible situation considering what little I know about the systems in question.

And in some hypotheticals, of course, the U may be the base console, with the "HD-er" twins getting up-ports.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Louisgod posted:

Certainly. Odds are that publishers like EA and Ubisoft will be first in line to re-release their current generation titles on the Wii U. However, I don't think that would dissuade them from also porting or leading their next generation games on the device either. For all we know, the technological leap between the Wii U and either Durango or Orbis could parallel that of the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. If that is the case, then the userbase, not hardware, will ultimately define how and where publishers show their support. My point being that there are presently far too many unknowns, ranging from Durango and Orbis's hardware specs to Sony's massive internal restructuring, to make an educated guess about the future of Wii U third party support.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 17, 2012

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Folt The Bolt posted:

I don't even think IE on the 360 supports flash but I haven't used it to test it out. Not having flash is the smallest of deals as long as it has HTML5.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

The Operative posted:

Certainly. Odds are that publishers like EA and Ubisoft will be first in line to release HD collections of their current generation titles. However, I don't think that would dissuade them from also porting or leading their next generation games on the device either. For all we know, the technological leap between the Wii U and either Durango or Orbis could parallel that of the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. If that is the case, then the userbase, not hardware, will ultimately define how and where publishers show their support. My point being that there are presently far too many unknowns, ranging from Durango and Orbis's hardware specs to Sony's massive internal restructuring, to make an educated guess about the future of Wii U third party support.

Exactly, you're right on all accounts there. It'll be interesting to see what the Wii-U turns into regarding ports and new IPs being made for it.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

His point was that it wouldn't matter if UE4 wasn't on the U. But it does matter, a lot, unreal engine is kind of a big loving deal.

Of course it's going to run on the U though, like others have said they're just bluffing, they need those royalties and won't say no to money. They lose absolutely nothing by licensing it to a game that fails.
They never said that they wouldn't license UE4 to the system anyway, right? What they said they said that they weren't personally going to make any UE4 games for it. Optimizing the engine for the Wii U themselves would cost them money, but if someone else wants to foot the bill it's no skin off their backs.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Astro7x posted:

You'll get your AAA titles that take advantage of it, sure, but a lot of games are still going to look no better because there is no budget for it.

It's far more likely they will look no better because everyone's made habit of showcasing PC versions.

Either that or everyone shits their pants when they see a texture greater than 240x.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chaltab posted:

They never said that they wouldn't license UE4 to the system anyway, right? What they said they said that they weren't personally going to make any UE4 games for it. Optimizing the engine for the Wii U themselves would cost them money, but if someone else wants to foot the bill it's no skin off their backs.

Has Epic even made anything outside of Gears in the last five years? I guess there's Bulletstorm but that was more of a cult hit than a big system mover.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Louisgod posted:

Uhm but the architecture WON'T be similar enough, especially when you look at the numerous engines being made for the 720/PS4 and developer comments about how they're not supporting the WiiU with those engines (UE4, anyway). They will not lead on the WiiU when the new 720/PS4 come out.

For what it's worth, they've also said they aren't going to officially support the 720/PS4 immediately and are pushing those devs to rely on UE3 longer.

Either way, the Unreal engine has always scaled very well, including for use on mobile platforms and lower-capability devices. The public tools you can go and download right this moment come with deployment and testing for smartphones, and the UE4 tools are better than the UE3 ones.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

Has Epic even made anything outside of Gears in the last five years? I guess there's Bulletstorm but that was more of a cult hit than a big system mover.

Shadow Complex. And even though a lot of goons really loved it, Bulletstorm was more of an outright bomb than a cult hit, unfortunately.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

One thing I hope the Wii U does it tone down how much developers spend on making games. We're already at the edge of an event horizon where one game that doesn't sell tens of millions of copies can shut down a studio that has had a stellar track record of games. It's already hard enough to try and get investors to take a risk on a game that isn't CoD or some sequel to a popular game imagine if the jump next gen with the Ps4/Next Xbox pushes the prices up another $50M to make a game. Perhaps by having a weaker console that isn't extremely weak like the Wii was this generation developers won't gleefully throw themselves over a cliff with the thought that they might catch a branch to save themselves instead of smashing into the ground below and perhaps we'll get a little bit attempts at games that aren't another War Shooter 5: Shooterier Edition

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Sony: "WiiU isn't powerful enough to make helicopters fly while blasting people with dubstep".

Instant winner of the gen.

vvvv
If you already have a sensor bar, aren't interested in Nintendoland and have an HD already I guess the white version is as good as the black version. Also black = fingerprints? :(

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 17, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am surprised I have not seen anyone post this but Gamestop.com is still taking preorders on the plebian version. I preordered it but I doubt I will get it launch day. I did next day shipping; I bet I don't get it until the Tuesday after launch :qq:

Also I am going to install an external hard drive anyway. Though I did sort of like black better :shobon:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

limaCAT posted:

Sony: "WiiU isn't powerful enough to make helicopters fly while blasting people with dubstep".

Instant winner of the gen.

vvvv
If you already have a sensor bar, aren't interested in Nintendoland and have an HD already I guess the white version is as good as the black version. Also black = fingerprints? :(

If you trade in your Wii for money off, do you have to turn in your old sensor bar or do they just mark it off?

Also curious for anyone who has both, will a sensor bar bathing your room in IR light cause a kinect to not work well?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

limaCAT posted:

Also black = fingerprints? :(

It's not a hand held, it shouldn't have fingerprints on it. Considering my PS3 and Wii look equally as gross with dust on it, I don't think the color saves it from looking nasty.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I want more information on using an external HD. Mainly does it have to a dedicated device? I have a 1TB drive I use for pictures and movies and whatnot with tons of space left.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
On the Wii whatever you put in it would create a Nintendo folder for and put everything Nintendo related in there.

I saw Amazon has a 1tb western digital, usb powered for 80 bucks today. I wanna know is that going to be able to be powered by the WiiU? The usb ports are apparently powered. I would like to get this drive and just hook it up without having to plug it into a power strip, what are the chances the USB ports on the Wii aren't powered enough?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

If you trade in your Wii for money off, do you have to turn in your old sensor bar or do they just mark it off?

Also curious for anyone who has both, will a sensor bar bathing your room in IR light cause a kinect to not work well?

curious in this question as well.

I'm really torn on whether to get it now, or wait until after the holidays to see if it price drops. $350 is a bit out of my price range, and given I already am a big Xbox user, I am mostly getting it for my wife to play it. I just see a scenario where the U doesn't sell well and they cut prices like they did with the 3DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hope it works the same here. Also I want a drive with an on/off switch so its only running when I want to play a game off it, wont have to have it running all the time.

• Locked thread