Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

jwh posted:

Nexus 5k experiences: yay? nay?

I'm thinking about bringing them in as replacements for a number of 3750s.

The driver is more affordable 10g density.

I've got two 5596UP's (soon to be four) in production along with two 5548UP's. I like them, the VPC technology is really good, the codebase seems stable, and the 40Gbe Expansion cards are to be released Q3 next year if I'm not mistaken.

If you are already a cisco switching shop then it's a no-brainer, any benefit (cost or otherwise) you might get from going Arista or Force10 would be immediately lost by having to support another product from another vendor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

bort posted:

It used to be recommended that you didn't use either all-zeroes or all-ones. That might be why they're saying that.

I'd wager the test definitely won't pull a gotcha question on that one, but I don't know for sure.

It won't.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Well that's good to know. Is it still considered best practice not to use it?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

No, use 'em or lose 'em. You have to work to engineer your network to have a problem with zeroes or ones networks.
edit: DHCP servers don't misconfigure subnet masks. And some guy in 1995 says not using them is obsolete. http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1878.txt

Bluecobra posted:

I also recently found a reseller that sells Twinax 10GbE cables for dirt cheap which helps keep connectivity costs down for shorter cable runs.
What do you use for network interfaces on your servers? Those are dirt cheap. The 4810s are terrific but I spend too much money on optics.

bort fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 13, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

ToG posted:

I wouldn't due to the routing loop issue he mentioned earlier. Given how CIDR works these days, you really shouldn't find yourself in that situation, though.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Thanks both of you. I have ICND2 booked for next month so I'm studying like mad. Sometimes it takes a while to grasp things.

I find subnetting okay now. ICND adds the VLSM aspect to it but it's not too difficult. This issue popped up on another forum I go to hence my asking. What I observed was counter to what the books told me.
V

ToG fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 13, 2012

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Anyone who tells you subnetting was easy while they were learning it is either lying or really loving smart. For me, it really helped to break it down to the binary. Subnet mask calculators can often do this for you.

abigserve posted:

If you are already a cisco switching shop then it's a no-brainer, any benefit (cost or otherwise) you might get from going Arista or Force10 would be immediately lost by having to support another product from another vendor.
I know where you're coming from, but now that I have so much Force10, I see a touch of Stockholm Syndrome to this way of thinking. I was stunned by how cheap Force10 support was and looked like an idiot because of how much I'd budgeted. SmartNet is super expensive. I'm sure Dell will eventually catch up, but it's not there yet.

Equipment that runs right doesn't need supporting...:haw:

bort fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 13, 2012

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Bluecobra posted:

I doubt Cisco can get anywhere near that price for a comparable Nexus switch.
We paid $33k for a pair of n5ks (without layer 3).

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
https://www.subnettingquestions.com do this everyday until you're sick of it and can subnet in under 15 seconds. When I first started it would take me about 2 minutes to get an answer right, and now I don't even have to think about it, I see the address in the question and I already know the answer most of the time.

On the test, you get 15 minutes for a survey in the beginning, use that time to write a 'cheatsheet'

I wrote something like this on the eraseable board they provided me as soon as I walked in.

The test loves throwing out the .240 maks because people have a hard time adding up 16s so I practiced that a little too.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
The survey is at the end. The time at the start is the 'guide' for doing the exam.

I wrote a cheatsheet for ICND1 and ended up not needing it. I want to get to a point where I don't need it. That website is fantastic thanks. I can do /24s and up in my head in a minute or two, but /23s etc throw me occasionally. I just need more practice.

CrazyDutchie
Aug 5, 2005

jwh posted:

Nexus 5k experiences: yay? nay?

I'm thinking about bringing them in as replacements for a number of 3750s.

The driver is more affordable 10g density.

I recently implemented 3 pairs of 5548UPs combined with ~20ish Nexus 2200 switches. Works really well and by using 2000s you can drive down cost per port quite nicely.
In one DC we're using the N5ks as distribution switches with the N2ks located EOR using MM fiber, which works great. In the other DC we've centralized cabling racks, so we can place N5ks and N2ks in the same racks. Here we use twinax cabling, that saves money and works equally well.
We're using a multihomed fex setup and the N5k's are linked to pairs of N7ks, thus allowing all-the-way VPC. It's an awesome setup.

Only thing to keep in mind: N5ks dont do ISSU upgrades when running downstream STP!

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

bort posted:

What do you use for network interfaces on your servers? Those are dirt cheap. The 4810s are terrific but I spend too much money on optics.
We use SolarFlare NICs. In our NIC bake-off, they seemed to preform the best for what we do. They also have drivers for most operating systems. Typically what we do is buy the dual-port card, then set up a LACP connection between the server and a S4810 stack for redundancy.

Here is their newest card ($930):

http://www.colfaxdirect.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1399&idcategory=0

The older model is much cheaper now ($415), but is still a pretty good card:

http://www.colfaxdirect.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=514&idcategory=0

On the 4810, if you run "show inventory media" it would say if the SFP+ is qualifed or not. We never had an issue with support about this, obviously we would be responsible for a bad optic or Twinax cable.

If you are looking for cheap 10GbE optics that are compatible look here:

http://tinyurl.com/9xrfh8d

Note that Finisar makes the optics that most vendors OEM, it is exactly the same optic Force10 sells at an outrageously inflated price but with a different sicker on it. If you are looking to buy these optics cheaper then Avnet, I found that this reseller gives us the best price for Finisar.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ToG posted:

What's your opinion on a /31. Whats your basis for that opinion?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
It can be used for point to point links otherwise it's useless? All the books say to use a /30 just. Thats all I got from searching the cisco site when /31 subnets cropped up studying for ICND1. I didn't do any indepth searches though.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks, Bluecobra, that is great info.

Are you running 8.3.12 on your S4810s? We deployed an early version (8.3.7.3) because it had stacking capability. We recently ran into a bug where a pair came unstacked and have to upgrade.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

bort posted:

Thanks, Bluecobra, that is great info.

Are you running 8.3.12 on your S4810s? We deployed an early version (8.3.7.3) because it had stacking capability. We recently ran into a bug where a pair came unstacked and have to upgrade.
We're still on 8.3.10.3, we are a bit slow with the upgrades unless there is a specific bug/issue that we have to address. In the past, we were running engineering releases built specifically for us to address certain bugs we ran into. We have to be careful that new releases still have our fixes in it and doesn't break something else. One big pain in the rear end is that the entire stack has to come down for a firmware upgrade, so that limits us to the weekend for maintenance. We don't have a proper test environment which doesn't help either.

Bluecobra fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 13, 2012

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Yeah, I have similar constraints. I pretty much never upgrade unless I need a fix or a feature. I, too, lack test infrastructure -- somehow that S4810/Z9000 test lab I posit always gets struck from the budget...:confused:

I figured the full stack had to reboot for the upgrade, but was going to search to see if they had some "warm upgrade" path. So you saved me that time -- thanks again.
[/force10chat]

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Thanks guys- these nexus 5ks would replace a smaller installation of 3750s.

The vast majority of what we're doing now is Dell m1000e's with 10gbit stacked Cisco I/O modules, and this is just an effort to find more 10gbit ports in a smaller form-factor.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

jwh posted:

The vast majority of what we're doing now is Dell m1000e's with 10gbit stacked Cisco I/O modules, and this is just an effort to find more 10gbit ports in a smaller form-factor.

On our M1000e's for the 10GB stuff, we use the passthru modules with the 10Gb mezz cards in the blades and just terminate to TOR stuff, whether it be Juniper (EX4500/8200) or Cisco (Nexus 5K). TOR stuff for 1Gb, we use Juniper EX4200 TOR, 4500 AGG or Cisco Nexus 2k TOR and 5k AGG.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

CrazyDutchie posted:

I recently implemented 3 pairs of 5548UPs combined with ~20ish Nexus 2200 switches. Works really well and by using 2000s you can drive down cost per port quite nicely.
In one DC we're using the N5ks as distribution switches with the N2ks located EOR using MM fiber, which works great. In the other DC we've centralized cabling racks, so we can place N5ks and N2ks in the same racks. Here we use twinax cabling, that saves money and works equally well.
We're using a multihomed fex setup and the N5k's are linked to pairs of N7ks, thus allowing all-the-way VPC. It's an awesome setup.

Only thing to keep in mind: N5ks dont do ISSU upgrades when running downstream STP!

This is a good gotcha! But, the other thing that might not be immediately obvious, VPC will work even if the switches are on different code, so you can "fake" issue by dual-homing everything that is important and upgrading the switches one at a time.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

jwh posted:

We were also looking at this switch, which crams 72 10GbE ports into 1U:

http://gnodal.com/Products/GS-Series/GS7200/

At $36,000, it is a little pricey but is intended for people looking at the absolute lowest latency (~150ns).

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I couldn't find anywhere referencing their over-subscription model but it looks like 2:1. Can anyone verify that?

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001
Speaking of Nexus deployments, I am currently in the middle of my first one and have a question about ISSU.

We have 2 5548UPs in a standard VPC configuration with 2248s. My current plan is to uplink each of the Nexus to our 3560 distribution switches and our 3750 SAN stack. I'm planning on using a VPC on one end and a portchannel on the other for SAN traffic. No big deal there as far as I can see.

The 3560s are the root primary and secondary for spanning tree, linked L2, and running HSRP on the VLAN SVIs. If I hook one of each Nexus to one of each distribution switches (creating an upside-down U pattern), am I correct in assuming that the Nexus would be a leaf node at that point? (I'll probably enable uplink fast to up the cost) My understanding is that as long as it isn't partcipating in the chain of STP from upstream switches to downstream switches, I'm ok.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I am giving up on the Cisco Consultant I hired to install 3 ASA55150-x. I had to add a default route to his config just so he could get the internet up in the test environment. That and he has taken over a month just to get basic configs done. You live, you learn. Sadly my budget takes the hit on this one... How is Smartnet? I purchased it with these. If I hit a config issue, can I call and get a reasonably quick response?

Anyways,
Has anyone used one of these?
http://gridconnect.com/bluetooth-to-rs232.html

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does the ASA have something like SDM? I don't know a thing about the ASA line other than some experience with a PIX like ten years ago, but I'm pretty sure given a month I could come up with a reasonable config :stare:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Does the ASA have something like SDM? I don't know a thing about the ASA line other than some experience with a PIX like ten years ago, but I'm pretty sure given a month I could come up with a reasonable config :stare:

ASDM and I have configured several 5505's over the years. He did get HA setup and working, but could not figure out that the modem needed to be restarted when he could not get internet up... I built a dozen configs just playing with ASA's, but simply ran out of time. He came decently recommended and sadly just does not have a clue despite being CCNA/MCITP.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, they have ASDM. As long as you keep using it and not the CLI (the resulting configs will make your eyes bleed), pretty much anyone with any firewall experience can have one up and running with basic functionality relatively quickly.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My coworker uses ASDM and I use CLI, I can confirm the eye bleeding.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea something I've noticed with ASAs. If you do only the CLI, you are fine, it's "ios-like" enough for anyone with some cisco experience to understand what is going on, however the ASDM uses a lot of labels, that are named extremely similarly to actual ASA commands, thus if you are trying to parse configuration (Access-lists are the worse for this) it makes it nearly impossible to follow.

Pick one, and stick to it, for your own sanity.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Usually I just copy the config into notepad if there's ASDM in it to make it easier to jump around. For ACL's if you're trying to figure out which one certain access belongs to you can usually simulate a packet through packet-tracer command with "detailed" applied at the end and it will tell you which ACL and object group it used to match it.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

the spyder posted:

How is Smartnet? I purchased it with these. If I hit a config issue, can I call and get a reasonably quick response?

It's a response that's better than NO response, but be warned: I just had TAC take a 100mbit connection and police it down to 60kbit because the guy failed at basic multiplication.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

ASA failover is easy- it's what, five lines of config?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

So we moved from Procurve to Cisco switches, and I'm really starting to regret that decision. This is our first set of Cisco products, and I had to call to register a Cisco.com account because their online registration system isn't working. Now I can't do something as simple as searching for documentation because I keep getting 404s and pages with no CSS. Is their site always this terrible?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Erwin posted:

So we moved from Procurve to Cisco switches, and I'm really starting to regret that decision. This is our first set of Cisco products, and I had to call to register a Cisco.com account because their online registration system isn't working. Now I can't do something as simple as searching for documentation because I keep getting 404s and pages with no CSS. Is their site always this terrible?

I always find documentation on their site via google searches so no its usually not that bad. Nothing like Microsoft's site which is awful

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I've never had to login to CCO to look at documentation.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Erwin posted:

What switches and IOS version?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

ragzilla posted:

What switches and IOS version?

2960-S, version 12.2, which is weird because we just bought them, so I would have figured 15.2?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Erwin posted:

Use google to search for your error messages. Many times it will bring up Cisco White Papers and the Cisco Support forums where the questions are pretty much all answered by Cisco TAC engineers.

CCO is required for Software and Bug reports.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Erwin posted:

2960-S, version 12.2, which is weird because we just bought them, so I would have figured 15.2?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Awesome, thanks! I'll leave you guys alone now :)