Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsercele
Sep 27, 2008

I take it that the Neymans are unimpressed by the guy's threats? I'd hate to have them screwed out of what amounts to (much-belated) payment for their contribution to the film because of some ambulance-chaser's bullshit. I've definitely got to look into getting a Master print, if they become available.

On the subject of contributions, my Torgo shirt and pin just arrived! Ben, you are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Joe Neal Warren posted:

I don't want to be the bad guru
Really? Because it sounds like you do.

Joe Neal Warren posted:

By using these characters without permission will cause irreparable harm to my dad's copyright.
Also causing irreparable harm to his dad's copyright: Failing to copyright.

Greasyfries
Apr 7, 2003
not a photographer but an incredible simulation
Is it just me, or is the threat from "Joe Neal Warren" written in exactly the same style as every post or comment that I've seen from "Rupert"?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm no expert on copyright law, but It appears the copyright was with Emerson and Ben bought what was left of Emerson. There is no record of a renewal circa 1993, which is when a 1966 copyright would have lapsed. The only other copyright holder could be Republic Pictures, which lists a transference of copyright in 1987 - but they also list a lot of titles that went into the public domain in the 1970s that probably were in a TV package.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I thought the issue with Manos was failing to include a copyright notice in the film, thus it entered public domain the moment it was first screened in public.

pwn fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 18, 2012

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pwn posted:

I thought the issue with Manos was failing to include a copyright notice in the film, thus it entered public domain the moment it was first screened in public.

No, you automatically have copyright on anything you create for a while. The lack of a notice doesn't forfeit your rights.

micpp
Jul 21, 2007
One shall stand, one shall fall

Angela Christine posted:

No, you automatically have copyright on anything you create for a while. The lack of a notice doesn't forfeit your rights.

That's true these days, but at the time Manos came out, it was actually the case that you had to put the copyright notice there. Night of the Living Dead had a similar issue with falling out of copyright due to missing the notice.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

micpp posted:

That's true these days, but at the time Manos came out, it was actually the case that you had to put the copyright notice there. Night of the Living Dead had a similar issue with falling out of copyright due to missing the notice.

Didn't Romero deliberately leave the copyright notice off the movie?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Mister Kingdom posted:

It definitely was not intentional.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ben Solo posted:

Ever since the Rifftrax Live show, the director's son has been harassing anyone that he thinks might be intimidated into giving him some money. This includes myself, the creator of the iPhone game, the city of El Paso (for exhibiting the film), Jackey Neyman-Jones and Tom Neyman (because he wants a cut of their benefit shirt). So far, as there's no proof that what he's saying has any basis in fact, he's had no success.

Why now, all of a sudden? His business partner has made him some big promises lately- for instance, that it's possible to take Manos out of the public domain after 46 years in spite of many, many decades of legal precedent saying otherwise. I've dealt with his business partner before: he likes to use the pseudonym "Rupert Munch", and it seems like Joe believes anything he says.

It's true that it is possible for something to go out of the public domain. However, the only thing I can think of that actually was public domain that is now protected under copyright law is "It's A Wonderful Life."

Pretty much, the film is public domain. However, since it is based off of a novel, which is still protected under copyright, the copyright is extended to the film, to protect the value of the novel.

But that really only applies to derivative works. None of this would apply to Manos, since there is no other product associated with Manos. Manos, as a film, is not a derivative work of any kind, so there is no legal precedent for this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

micpp posted:

Well, you could remedy it in those days by recalling the film reels and such, and then rereleasing with the copyright notice. But that wasn't done for either movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Not at all. It happened because they switched titles and forgot to print it on the new title screen.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Well that settles it. On payday I'm buying myself a Master shirt.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

pwn posted:

Really? Because it sounds like you do.
Also causing irreparable harm to his dad's copyright: Failing to copyright.

Also causing irreparable harm to his dad's copyright: His dad making Manos.

I kid!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Got my shirt + pin in Toronto today, you rule Ben!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
What's the status of the Blu-Ray and the Master t-shirts?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mister Kingdom posted:

What's the status of the Blu-Ray and the Master t-shirts?

I'm not Ben, but I saw on the main website he posted a comment saying the shirts got delayed a bit and he only began sending them out a week ago and that the last of them should have been out on Monday (Oct. 29).

Dunno about the Blu-Ray, but the restoration itself seems to be on target for a December completion.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ballz posted:

I'm not Ben, but I saw on the main website he posted a comment saying the shirts got delayed a bit and he only began sending them out a week ago and that the last of them should have been out on Monday (Oct. 29).

Dunno about the Blu-Ray, but the restoration itself seems to be on target for a December completion.

I must have missed that. Thanks for the update.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Awww gently caress, anyway I can still buy a 'hands' shirt?

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
How did I forget to show off the new screen print poster here? It's by Nathan Hoste, who you might remember from his 'Bodies in Space' prints elsewhere in these forums. This will go to all 'Sponsor' level donors and above from the Kickstarter, and the remaining stock will be sold through the fundraising store.

RizieN posted:

Awww gently caress, anyway I can still buy a 'hands' shirt?

Right now, my plan is to bring 'em back at a later time once we start screening the film around. Shirt sales tend to be a big undertaking, so I won't be doing another until the restoration's fully done.

On a related note, we're having our L.A. premiere at the Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival on December 4th, right alongside a Tinto Brass retrospective, a new Don Hertzfeldt compilation, and (gulp) Uwe Boll showing off his new feature.

Duplication of the BDs/DVDs will proceed not long after, as will more public screenings (tentatively I can say we're working on New York, Portland, and Austin, and maybe one at my old university if they're up for it).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ben Solo posted:

On a related note, we're having our L.A. premiere at the Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival on December 4th, right alongside a Tinto Brass retrospective, a new Don Hertzfeldt compilation, and (gulp) Uwe Boll showing off his new feature.

Duplication of the BDs/DVDs will proceed not long after, as will more public screenings (tentatively I can say we're working on New York, Portland, and Austin, and maybe one at my old university if they're up for it).
First off, if the film festival has any brains your movie should be THE headliner. Second, I hope Portland gets multiple cinemas to show this because the Rifftrax live show was packed.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I hope you come to Austin because we will definitely be there!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Ben Solo posted:

Oh man, I'm totally getting in on this. Thanks for the heads up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ben Solo posted:

This may be the first time Manos is played at an event and it is not the worst movie screened.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Got my Master t-shirt today. It looks better in person.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Got mine last week, it's super great. :thumbsup:

The Bluray is expected for December right? My friends are getting more anxious than even I am.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Our Master shirts arrived today, and my fiance pointed out that this is the third or fourth set of matching t-shirts we own. Luckily we never wear the same stuff on the same day! :confuoot:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Was at the premiere tonight and the film looked amazing. It was kind of funny when it froze at the end for some reason. It was nice listening to the talk afterwards and learning more about some the history of Manos.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Met Joel Hodgson the other night and asked him about the Manos restoration. He talked about Manos in general, and how it became kind of a cult thing, but didn't have much to say about Ben's restoration. He said he was aware of it, but I guess he isn't that interested in returning to it the way Mike has.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
My buddy had a similar experience. He met Joel and asked him his thoughts on the Manos restoration, he said he thought it was great, but hadn't been following it. My friend also knew I was a big fan of MST3K, so he got Joel's autograph for me. But or some reason, he told him that my name was Jugbutt. So that's who the autograph is made out to.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Atarian posted:

My friend also knew I was a big fan of MST3K, so he got Joel's autograph for me. But or some reason, he told him that my name was Jugbutt. So that's who the autograph is made out to.

A true friend. :allears:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So am I the only one who hasn't gotten his Master shirt then? :sigh:

I figure Ben's kinda busy, but he hasn't replied to my email or post on his website about the status.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I got my Hands shirt in the mail. I love it!

Only two people have said that it looks like I'm being groped. :pervert: So take that as you will?

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
Thank you to everyone who was able to come to the New Beverly Cinema on a Tuesday and join us!

Though I've watched 'Manos' an uncountable number of times in working on it, seeing it in a theater with an audience still brings it to life in a scarily complete way. The many baffling choices, inexplicable edits and awkward silences in the movie can elicit extreme reactions in the most polite or jaded crowds. Even Clu Gulager, a staple in the New Beverly audience, hadn't seen anything like it.

With Jackey Neyman Jones and surprise guest Bryan Jennings (son of the Sheriff) there providing plenty of interesting information on the production, the bigger and more personal story behind the film unfolded in an elegant way. It's this story that I'll work on capturing for everyone to enjoy in the extra features of the final disc.

Golem II posted:

Was at the premiere tonight and the film looked amazing. It was kind of funny when it froze at the end for some reason. It was nice listening to the talk afterwards and learning more about some the history of Manos.

I'm not proud, but it's true: thanks to a dodgy Blu-ray player and despite a successful test earlier that day, the audience was treated to a freeze right about here-

After a brief interruption and a lot of projection booth swearing, rest assured that we were all able to enjoy the shocking twist ending of Manos: The Hands of Fate. By the way, Uwe Boll was not in attendance- apocalypse averted.

Ballz posted:

I figure Ben's kinda busy, but he hasn't replied to my email or post on his website about the status.

If you are who I think you are, I've sent you a reply. If not, try to e-mail me again! Website comments are not a reliable way to get in touch with me as I get a massive amount of spam.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ben Solo posted:

If you are who I think you are, I've sent you a reply. If not, try to e-mail me again! Website comments are not a reliable way to get in touch with me as I get a massive amount of spam.

Got it! Err... the email, I mean. Not the shirt. I figured you were probably pre-occupied a bit with the premiere and all, so thanks for touching base.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
What's the current status of the Blu-Rays?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Mister Kingdom posted:

What's the current status of the Blu-Rays?

As well, when will they be available for people who weren't able to donate to the kickstarter? I didn't have $50 at the time, but I plan to order it day one.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow congrats Ben, if you go back to the first post it's been barely over a year and you've both funded and nearly finished the project in that time. I can't wait to see the blu-ray!

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

TrixRabbi posted:

As well, when will they be available for people who weren't able to donate to the kickstarter? I didn't have $50 at the time, but I plan to order it day one.

This, exactly. When & where can I order a Blu-Ray?

(and will it be Region-Free?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Slightly OT, but the lads who made the retro Manos video game for iPad released a port of it for PC, so you can play it with a USB controller. They're working on an Android port for next year.

It's pretty fun, if a bit short. It's also 8-bit platformer hard in the later stages, as it should be.

• Locked thread