Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

poptart_fairy posted:

e2; oh god oh god oh god the fire shrine girl was murdered, why did I trust a guy who laughs like that. And goddamn the flavour text on the dingy skirt is creepy.

One thing you'll notice is that every NPC in the game laughs like a maniac, even dudes who aren't evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

My problem with paladin builds is that Bountiful Sunlight and it's sister spell can only be used in the Princess Covenant. It'd totally rock those if the restriction didn't kill my gold summon sign.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Finally beat the game. It's extremely satisfying to kill the asylum demon in three hits.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

poptart_fairy posted:

Why didn't I listen to you guys. The Capra Demon is what we Brits generally refer to as a "complete and utter wanker". Not that it stopped me killing him. Even if it did cost me 13 humanity. :v:

Capra is an annoying boss in that you either die in the first 10 seconds as he hits you with his scripted overhead smash, the dogs rush you and bleed you to death or a combination, or you get to the stairs and don't die at all (if you run up the stairs and to the right the dogs can reach but Capra can't quite, he can swing his blades a bit and then the momentum carries him off onto the floor which you can abuse to get free time/plunging attacks on him).

After the trouble he caused me the first time, it was fun using a low level character from Anor Londo to sunbro him as I'd just run up in full golem armour, tank his attacks and great combustion him down within about 4 seconds.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Dr. Carwash posted:

I don't really "get" Pinwheel. He died in literally 3 hits to my lightning uchi. It's almost as if the catacombs were designed to be done much earlier in the game (the skeles are weak as hell as well) but there's no story-driven reason to go there earlier...soooo yeah.
Well I think the main point of the Catacombs is just to function as a way to get you really deep underground to where Tomb of the Giants is. It's a transitional area and I don't think Pinwheel is meant to function as anything more than a pinata that gives you the Rite of Kindling and to signify the end of the Catacombs.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Volte posted:

Well I think the main point of the Catacombs is just to function as a way to get you really deep underground to where Tomb of the Giants is. It's a transitional area and I don't think Pinwheel is meant to function as anything more than a pinata that gives you the Rite of Kindling and to signify the end of the Catacombs.

I guess that makes sense, but it was still pretty jarring to me. I actually said "what the gently caress was that?!?!?" out loud when Pinwheel died after my uchi's third swing. I felt dicked out of a boss fight :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Wicked Wall posted:

Capra is an annoying boss in that you either die in the first 10 seconds as he hits you with his scripted overhead smash, the dogs rush you and bleed you to death or a combination, or you get to the stairs and don't die at all (if you run up the stairs and to the right the dogs can reach but Capra can't quite, he can swing his blades a bit and then the momentum carries him off onto the floor which you can abuse to get free time/plunging attacks on him).

Yeah, this is how it went for me. First time I got smashed into the ground, second time the dogs obstructed me so I couldn't dodge, third time I made it to the stairs only to discover he has a leaping attack, fourth time I'd learned enough to give him the run around on the stairs and whittle him down without a single point of damage taken.

:darksouls:

Incidentally, am I missing something or is he just a way to get 6k extra souls? He didn't drop anything other than a blob of humanity and there doesn't seem to be a path way leading out of his arena. EDIT: He dropped a key I missed. :downs:

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

After killing him you should have received the key to the depths, and there's an easily missed stairway leading further down attached to the walkway just outside his room.

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

VisAbsoluta posted:

One thing I always meant to ask but kept forgetting to: how big is the impact of one stability point, in general? Is it enough to make a decent difference?

I'm not sure if it's entirely accurate in the game mechanics, but I always looked at stability like this:

The stability rating is the percentage of damage that doesn't go into stamina when you block. So, if you get hit for 100 points of damage and you have a 60 stability shield, you'll take 40 points of damage against your stamina. So, a higher stability shield reduces the amount of stamina damage you take from blocking, allowing you to block more attacks and stronger attacks.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Dr. Carwash posted:

I don't really "get" Pinwheel. He died in literally 3 hits to my lightning uchi. It's almost as if the catacombs were designed to be done much earlier in the game (the skeles are weak as hell as well) but there's no story-driven reason to go there earlier...soooo yeah.

As far as I can tell, the Catacombs are basically meant to be done before Quelaag. If you go there fairly early in the game, Patches is by one of the bridge switches and will be his usual walloping dickhole self.

I pretty much just consider Pinwheel a breather after those cartwheel skeletons, though. The only time he's ever given me problems was when I fought him with a shield.

Analogi
Mar 31, 2011

What the duck?

Analogi fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 15, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Analogi posted:

Is there any way of inflicting heavy durability damage other than Acid surge? Demon's Souls had scraping spear which was deliciously evil weapon in pvp, but I do not think there was anything similiar in Dark Souls.

No because From realized that was really stupid. Scraping Spear was an anti-fun mechanic.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

3 Slabs from the Great Hollow :swoon:
If you haven't got the no-logos mod for PC yet, get it, because it makes restarting for Titanite Lizards and trading with Snuggly not like putting your balls in a vice.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Scraping Spear actually made me quit Demons Souls because some rear end in a top hat broke all my gear and I couldn't even repair it because it was brand new boss armor and major expensive and... Man I get mad thinking about that. Anti-fun indeed. I killed the rear end in a top hat who ruined me too, that was the worst bit. It didn't matter because I guess he won.

Manus why are you such a dick. :( I managed to solo Kalameet since there is literally no one ever around to sunbro with me (SL 88) no matter how long I sit at a boss door. I've gotten him to 1/4 health and then he just knocked me over and puked black poo poo until I died. Spammed the pendant, didn't get it off. Also it doesn't help that he can puke AND hit you, so you're trying to cast dumb pendant while getting beat to death... I loved Artorius and Kalameet was a lot of fun but Manus... Manus you suck.

It doesn't help that your potential npc buddy is a chicken and just hangs back. Where's sunbro when you need him?

Orv
May 4, 2011

mistaya posted:

Where's sunbro when you need him?

Not born yet. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

:smug:

Now I have 46k souls and it's like what the hell do I spend them on. My bandit knife, shortbow, rapier and shield are at +6, my armour is all +3 and I'm SL 38. I can buy that forest crest and go exploring in the garden again, continue poking around underground and seeing what comes up or just going back and annihilating all these bug-eyed weirdoes and Hollow for a while, or go batshit mad and bump my dexterity again. It's weird how much more open this game feels like a bunch of sandbox stuff, even if it's mostly illusionary.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

mistaya posted:

Scraping Spear actually made me quit Demons Souls because some rear end in a top hat broke all my gear and I couldn't even repair it because it was brand new boss armor and major expensive and... Man I get mad thinking about that. Anti-fun indeed. I killed the rear end in a top hat who ruined me too, that was the worst bit. It didn't matter because I guess he won.

Manus why are you such a dick. :( I managed to solo Kalameet since there is literally no one ever around to sunbro with me (SL 88) no matter how long I sit at a boss door. I've gotten him to 1/4 health and then he just knocked me over and puked black poo poo until I died. Spammed the pendant, didn't get it off. Also it doesn't help that he can puke AND hit you, so you're trying to cast dumb pendant while getting beat to death... I loved Artorius and Kalameet was a lot of fun but Manus... Manus you suck.

It doesn't help that your potential npc buddy is a chicken and just hangs back. Where's sunbro when you need him?

Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/kanetw and I'll sunbro you through.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

GOT HIM. Yay!

mistaya fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 18, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

poptart_fairy posted:

:smug:

Now I have 46k souls and it's like what the hell do I spend them on. My bandit knife, shortbow, rapier and shield are at +6, my armour is all +3 and I'm SL 38. I can buy that forest crest and go exploring in the garden again, continue poking around underground and seeing what comes up or just going back and annihilating all these bug-eyed weirdoes and Hollow for a while, or go batshit mad and bump my dexterity again. It's weird how much more open this game feels like a bunch of sandbox stuff, even if it's mostly illusionary.

You can always spend souls on the pyromancy flame if you have nothing else to use them on or buy shards/consumables.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Ha, I went to fight the 4 kings after clearing out all of New Londo from all ghosts, darkwraiths and those mini Nito things so I only had a few Estus, walked through the fog door and realised I couldn't turn back (dunno why I forgot), so I equipped the ring and off I went.

As soon as I hit the bottom I switched it out for Havels so I could roll fast before realising the ring was in fact not like the Forest Covenants and I have to wear it for the fight, so I promptly died.

I unhollowed and decided to head back, couldn't see any summon signs so I went on ahead to grab my souls and humanity figuring 10 Estus would be enough, promptly got magic shot for like 1/4 my health, picked up and drained for 1/2, then as I tried to run away to heal he did a shockwave attack and knocked off the remainder of my health.

Dead in about 7 seconds.

All in all, a good run.

I need to be able to summon people :(

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Is there any gold-colored armor with a red cape? Might try to recreate Rock Knight.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

FrickenMoron posted:

You can always spend souls on the pyromancy flame if you have nothing else to use them on or buy shards/consumables.

What the heck's the Pyromancy flame. And yeah, going to go and stock up on consumables (MORE ARROWS :black101:) then potter around again, I think. Will explore further into the Garden and see what else is in those sewers.

vvvv - Ah, yeah, him! I haven't found him after breaking the barrel, so I guess I've got a new person to look out for in the hub.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 18, 2012

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

What the heck's the Pyromancy flame.

Did you save the guy who was stuck in a barrel in the dephts? If you didn't, you should. Roll into the barrel to destroy it without hitting him.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm looking forward to eventually replaying this game, because i've really managed to gently caress a lot of poo poo up. From putting points into Resistance, to accidently killing half of the npcs in firelink shrine.

Still gonna finish my current run, but i'm probably missing out on some stuff. Namely every single magic/pyromancy/miracle in the game.

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?

Balobam posted:

Ha, I went to fight the 4 kings after clearing out all of New Londo from all ghosts, darkwraiths and those mini Nito things so I only had a few Estus, walked through the fog door and realised I couldn't turn back (dunno why I forgot), so I equipped the ring and off I went.

As soon as I hit the bottom I switched it out for Havels so I could roll fast before realising the ring was in fact not like the Forest Covenants and I have to wear it for the fight, so I promptly died.

I unhollowed and decided to head back, couldn't see any summon signs so I went on ahead to grab my souls and humanity figuring 10 Estus would be enough, promptly got magic shot for like 1/4 my health, picked up and drained for 1/2, then as I tried to run away to heal he did a shockwave attack and knocked off the remainder of my health.

Dead in about 7 seconds.

All in all, a good run.

I need to be able to summon people :(

You can summon Beatriz or whatever the witch's name is. Her summoning sign is off somewhat near that fog door (before you go through) It's in an alcove thing on your right just before you go across the walkway to the fog door) She's pretty worthless for that fight though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

poptart_fairy posted:

What the heck's the Pyromancy flame. And yeah, going to go and stock up on consumables (MORE ARROWS :black101:) then potter around again, I think. Will explore further into the Garden and see what else is in those sewers.

vvvv - Ah, yeah, him! I haven't found him after breaking the barrel, so I guess I've got a new person to look out for in the hub.

Yeah check around firelink. He's just the nicest guy too.

Jun 29, 2009

Aug posted:

You can summon Beatriz or whatever the witch's name is. Her summoning sign is off somewhat near that fog door (before you go through) It's in an alcove thing on your right just before you go across the walkway to the fog door) She's pretty worthless for that fight though.

Only if you had her help you fight the moonlight butterfly, otherwise her sign won't show up

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Aug posted:

Okay cool, I'll go find her sign then, or just throw down my own and offer some assistance for a while.

Only if you had her help you fight the moonlight butterfly, otherwise her sign won't show up

Thankfully I did, since I melee that fight is tedious as hell without her.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any goon down to helping me beat Artorias in some jolly co-op? I'm SL73.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Edit: ^^ Summon sign down at Atorias ^^

Five spells.

Edit2: vv What up Manus Bro? You can warp back if you want to. I beat her with only 3 more vit than you, but decided to redstone it to blast through his HP fast.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 18, 2012

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Yay, finally beat Manus and it only took me around 50 tries!

In hindsight, doing the dlc first with a character with a grand total of 8 vitality and 11 endurance was not such a great idea :shepicide:

So now dusk lies on the floor crying and there is nothing else obvius to do in this room, should I just warp out? And can I come back if I do?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

TalonDemonKing posted:

Edit: ^^ Summon sign down at Atorias ^^

Are you Calosin? Tried once but didn't worked!

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

TalonDemonKing. Send me a friend request

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

quote:

Recommended SLs for being summoned

Undead Burg (5 – 10)
Undead Parish (10 – 20)
Lower Undead Burg (20 – 30)
Darkroot Garden (20+)
The Depths (20 – 30)
Blighttown (30 – 40)
Undead Asylum Revisited (30 – 40)
The Catacombs (30 – 50)
Quelaag’s Domain (35+)
Darkroot Basin (35+)
Valley of Drakes (40 – 60)
Sen’s Fortress (40+)
Anor Londo (45+)
The Abyss (50 – 70)
The Great Hollow (50+)
Ash Lake (50+)
Crystal Cave (50+)
Kiln of the First Flame (60 – 80)
Painted World of Ariamis (60+)
New Londo Ruins (60+)
The Duke’s Archives (60+)
Demon Ruins (60+)
Tomb of the Giants (70+)
Lost Izalith (75+)

I got this somewhere (don't remember where), but is this a good guide for the ideal levels for each area (for a first time player) and for what your route should be?

Thanks.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Dr. Carwash posted:

I'd place it at around levels 25-30. The thing about the Catacombs is most new players go there first thing where they are then emotionally scarred for life and avoid the place like the plague based only on their first trip there. Pinwheel being a weak boss makes sense story wise if you pay attention to it. I don't remember all the details.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Threepw00d posted:

I got this somewhere (don't remember where), but is this a good guide for the ideal levels for each area (for a first time player) and for what your route should be?

Thanks.

Yes and no. It's a little misleading in places, because certain challenges have to be met out of order for some secret events/covenants/etc.

Darkroot Garden has two bosses. The first I would put where it is, but the second (behind the sealed door), I would save until just before New Londo Ruins, which is just before The Abyss. Asylum Revisited is safe to do earlier if you skip the boss (in fact, it's very nice to do before Blighttown, as you get a ring that will keep you from hating yourself). Also, Kiln is the last area you go to. No idea why it's in that position on that list.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Game+Progress+Route is a much better guide to follow, for a beginner.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 18, 2012

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Threepw00d posted:

Thanks.

Levelwise it looks fine if a little overlevelled for a few of the midgame places (Sen's particularly?), the only thing that confuses me is why Crystal Cave is 50+ but Duke's Archives is 60+ considering how you have to go through Duke's to reach Cave.

Can't say much about the route really as some areas can be done really early but shouldn't be (Asylum revisit, Catacombs and New Londo Ruins jump out if any), though it's impossible to do the Kiln before the areas listed after as completing them is a requirement for entry. Up to then though, it's pretty good.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Atorias went down like a bitch.

Very Good!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Pinwheel isn't the boss, the room full of skeleton wheels is. :v:

Well I finished my murderspree before I got stuck on Manus so I finished off the last guy and now I'm NG+. Asylum demon was pretty funny, died in like 4 hits. So how nasty does NG+ get, and do people put down summons and co-op for it? Or should I just make a new character if I want to jolly cooperate?

First time finishing, I'm really stoked. Had the console version but my poor PS3 character never managed to finish Tomb/New Londo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

TalonDemonKing posted:

Atorias went down like a bitch.

Very Good!

Yes, despite me doing terribly in the first try, he was no match to TalonDemonKing dropping carvings! :hfive:

• Locked thread