Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

Legion of One posted:

So we got this one at work today a lot of the younger staff went nuts that this was getting a movie

I'm amused that one guy is wearing a freakin' alternate Cincinnati Bengals jersey of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm not sure what this other Cedar Rapids movie Ed Helms apparently was in is about.

It looks like it might as well be named "National Lampoon Presents: American Pie's Cedar Rapids Starring the Guy From The Hangover."

Cedar Rapids was mostly unfunny and kind of depressing at times from what I remember, so that cover has probably led to a lot of people renting it / buying it and being very disappointed.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cedar Rapids is another in a long line of movies where the only reason to watch it is for John C. Reilly.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cedar Rapids is another in a long line of movies where the only reason to watch it is for John C. Reilly.

.....for your health.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
I liked Cedar Rapids but that cover in no way conveys anything about the movie, in fact it conveys the exact opposite. It looks like they were trying to make it seem like The 40 Year Old Virgin or something on the cover when it's actually a dark comedy and pretty depressing most of the time.

gregday
May 23, 2003

LesterGroans posted:

A pretty cool poster for a movie for which I have almost no expectation but a lot of hope.

This makes me want to watch a movie about the Atari starring Pacino and Walken.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mister Chief posted:

I prefer the novelization of Ghost Dad myself.

That poster design is pretty clever overall, but I like how only of the kids is even attempting to look in the direction of invisible Bill Cosby

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

I need to know more. What's the context? Is the cat dead, as in "swing a dead cat?"

French Stewart and the Blond lady are in a relationship and break up. Hilarious hijinks ensue with the two doing crap to each other. At one point he convinces her he will throw her cat over the board walk. She jumps off as he is throwing the cat over and it reveals the cat is in a mini bungee jumping harness.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

John C. Reilly is also the voice of Wreck it Ralph and everybody should watch the upcoming movie for this reason.

Its also going to own, but having JCR in it makes it own harder.

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

Mister Chief posted:

If you've seen The Sound of My Voice you will know that this cover is not representative of the movie at all.

Wow. That makes it look like a completely generic horror film. The theatrical poster didn't really tell you much about it either, but at least it didn't mislead you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's potentially full of lagoons.

If by that you mean French SA Forums members, I suppose you're right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are no lagoons, only legoons.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I like the retro styling of it. It really should have been in black and white, though, since the tv show is where everyone really got into Hitchcock as a personality and the movie is about the filming of Psycho.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Is there an actual reason that Mondo sell next to no posters? They sell out in less than a minute so surely they can afford to make more. It's so frustrating following them on Twitter because stuff is gone almost the moment it's announced.

Isn't running a business all about supplying a market? Running like 100 copies of something and leaving the only place to buy them be Ebay is a terrible business practice. I'd even take reprints for a cheaper price.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

DrVenkman posted:

Is there an actual reason that Mondo sell next to no posters? They sell out in less than a minute so surely they can afford to make more. It's so frustrating following them on Twitter because stuff is gone almost the moment it's announced.

Isn't running a business all about supplying a market? Running like 100 copies of something and leaving the only place to buy them be Ebay is a terrible business practice. I'd even take reprints for a cheaper price.

It's likely they have very little inventory space, and limited production capacity as well. Small print runs in high quality at premium prices make them exclusive art objects instead of just movie posters, which creates far more demand than supply on average. The high speculative prices on ebay only increases the demand at the very moment they go on sale.

Maybe they'll be financially stable enough to do large print runs in coming years, but for now they've found something that seems to work great for them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

LesterGroans posted:

A pretty cool poster for a movie for which I have almost no expectation but a lot of hope.

Oh hey I remember that movie!

I think there was a poster for this that was not horrible but I can't remember what it looked like.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I think there was a poster for this that was not horrible but I can't remember what it looked like.

Was it this one?

modern villian
May 4, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Does that say it was directed by FISHER STEVENS??!?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dillbag posted:

Was it this one?

I like the art style, but it's abstracted to the point that Kirk Douglas looks like Jack Palance.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

I've read interviews where they explain their reasoning but I wouldn't have a clue where I read it. If I want one of their posters I wouldn't really have a problem paying double for one on ebay just after they're gone on sale. Their starting prices are cheap and basically without fail they appreciate in vslue. I always point to my Tyler Stout Robocop that was originally $30 and now goes for around $900.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

modern villian posted:

Does that say it was directed by FISHER STEVENS??!?

First thing I noticed too when reading the cast/credits. The dude from Baywatch?

edit: ah no, the white guy pretending to be Indian from Short Circuit. Still, I'm impressed he can pull that calibre of actors.

Goldskull fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 22, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Fisher "Oscar" Stevens.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Saw this in a theatre in Manhattan, thought it was pretty funny.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jefferoo posted:

What? Is there some reason why Bond can't shoot himself in the kneecap while taking a bath fully clothed, or does that confuse you?!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I guess my only complaint with the Skyfall posters and standees is that they're lazy to the point where they just scream "gently caress you it's James Bond, you're going to watch it anyways". And the sad part is, they're right. I'm going to watch it anyways.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm not sure what this other Cedar Rapids movie Ed Helms apparently was in is about.

It looks like it might as well be named "National Lampoon Presents: American Pie's Cedar Rapids Starring the Guy From The Hangover."

All I remember is that the commercials quoted Omar from The Wire and explicitly explained it as such (by none other than Senator Clay Davis) and I wondered how much of the people who saw that would have understood the reference.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Lizard Combatant posted:

What? Is there some reason why Bond can't shoot himself in the kneecap while taking a bath fully clothed, or does that confuse you?!

It is unwise to point a gun at Judge Dredd.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Jefferoo posted:

There's one like this is my theatre, except it's set up to shoot Mike Wachowski from Monster's Inc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tupping Liberty posted:

There's one like this is my theatre, except it's set up to shoot Mike Wachowski from Monster's Inc.

I saw one in my theater last night set up so that he's shooting the dog from Frankenweenie. But the dog in that movie gets reanimated anyway, so I guess it's cool. Or has he already been reanimated in the standee, in which case Bond would be killing him again?

Oh well, if the kid in Frankenweenie was able to reanimate his dead dog once, he can do it again.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Tewratomeh posted:

I like the art style, but it's abstracted to the point that Kirk Douglas looks like Jack Palance.

And Burt Lancaster looks like William Shatner.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
How many movie posters have Mondo put out? It seems like there's a new one every couple of posts in this thread and it amazes me that there is a seemingly endless market for them.

I know they make posters for a wide range of movies so they don't all target the exact same market but I feel like there's a point where there are so many Mondo posters out there that they stop being special. Especially the last few that have been posted; they seem to be looking more generic like the designers have figured out exactly how 'artsy' they need to look and aren't really trying anymore.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Not to be confused with another CG animated feature film series staring African animals.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mister Chief posted:

Not to be confused with another CG animated feature film series staring African animals.

How do you pronounce that? Zam-bee-zee-uh? Doesn't seem to roll off the tongue quite as well as Madagascar.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How do you pronounce that? Zam-bee-zee-uh? Doesn't seem to roll off the tongue quite as well as Madagascar.

Don't forget the tagline, which namedrops another well-regarded CG kid's movie - twice.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mister Chief posted:

drat Jeff Goldblum, I hope they are paying you well for this.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Is that one Giraffe flying?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Is that one Giraffe flying?

That's why he's freaking out!

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

drat Jeff Goldblum, I hope they are paying you well for this.

At least this one isn't just full of random Hollywood A-listers and has actual VAs like Jim Cummings, Tom Kenny, Phil LaMarr, and Tress MacNellie.

It'll more than likely still suck, but it's at least got that going for it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

I just automatically assumed this was Dreamworks, but I looked the movie up on imdb and can't even find a company tied to it that I recognize. Is this direct-to-video or what is this?

The poster itself is just the most generic mash-up of CGI non-characters. The giraffe, on the "back" of the hawk, is the same size as the other two giraffes who are sticking their heads out of the clouds. So is that a tiny giraffe with a huge head or is it actually just a giraffe's head growing out of the rear end of a hawk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's South African, apparently.