Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

redmercer posted:

H's and F's, L's and R's, 'u's popping up where they shouldn't: There likely wasn't a single letter from the English alphabet on his cue cards.

I wouldn't say that. Whenever he struggles to read English text in video games he does that too. It just naturally comes to Japanese people 'cause it's hard to shake the habit. Hence why even when he says jokingly pronounces Kotaku in an "American" way there's a hint of a U at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Arino even mispronounces Japanese words if they're inserted into English sentences. It's like he's in a trance.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

zari-gani posted:

I think Random Stranger uploaded it and posted the download link here a week ago here, then someone put it on Youtube.

Ah ok, I must have glossed over it since it wasn't an actual episode.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

Arino even mispronounces Japanese words if they're inserted into English sentences. It's like he's in a trance.

Like, again, his own name.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

I can relate to this - studying various asian languages makes reading english really weird when my brain is in 'parse these syllables completely differently' mode

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Oh yeah, I always introduce myself with the wrong pronunciation of my name when I am speaking English. Not that I am trying to make things easier on other people or out of preference, but rather because switching style of pronunciation mid-sentence is very hard.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

This article has photos of the GCCX booth set up at Tokyo Game Show right now.
http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/09/20/59876.html

The sign says "Chief Arino will not be coming to the booth this year."

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Drakkel posted:

What if they did an actual Top Gear Japan with Arino and two other guys. One can dream.

There are already some realy cool japanese car shows that are way better than that terrible topgear crap.

I'd kill for some SAGCCX level subs of video option or hot version, also best motoring but that doesnt exist anymore.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

TGS really HAS changed.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

zenintrude posted:

Presumably it failed because it didn't feature Arino wrecking expensive cars over and over until he got the hang of it.

ABUNAIIIIIIIIiiiiiii...

-crash-

absolutely anything posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC-x0JXmWSw

Was this not posted here? I don't remember seeing it posted here. How was this not posted here?

Oh man, this made my day. Arino takes English to an incredible new dimension.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 20, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Why is a windbreaker less expensive than a t-shirt?! :argh:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The staff marvels as Arino drifts turns with ease and dips in and out of turns with speed and grace....then the APR financing info comes up, Arino laughs, and they realize they were just watching a TV commercial for the car.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

rdbbb posted:

TGS really HAS changed.

The first time Arino went to TGS he had no assistants and was able to check out a variety of booths. Now he's so busy he can't see anything there, not even the GCCX booth...

It's also cute watching very early episodes of GCCX and seeing him go "whoa, people are applauding for me? What??"

Bocc Kob posted:

Why is a windbreaker less expensive than a t-shirt?! :argh:

The T-shirts are 3150 yen each, the windbreaker is 4200. The hoodie is 4620.

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

zari-gani posted:

:ohdear: I hope he's not burnt out.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

redmercer posted:

H's and F's, L's and R's, 'u's popping up where they shouldn't: There likely wasn't a single letter from the English alphabet on his cue cards.

He makes a few weird mistakes here and there. I know next to nothing about Japanese, so I can't really say whether or not he was reading Roman letters or not, but it seems possible.

I noticed that Arino drops a lot of the articles. For instance, "Retro game master is hottest TV show in Japan NOW," or "take a look this," and a few other instances. He obviously makes a reading error when he says "I can called." He changes "in" for "of," and I don't know what he did to the word "join," it sounds like "say."

But even so, he does a really good job at pronouncing English. You don't need the subtitles to understand what he's saying since it actually sounds like English, heavily accented, and missing the rhythm and flow of course, but it sounds like English, and not just a random string of syllables that resembles the words we use every day.

I just love how he switches to Japanese, and how he goes from sounding like the worst actor in the world to a very charismatic TV host.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

a big fwiggen terd posted:

There are already some realy cool japanese car shows that are way better than that terrible topgear crap.

I'd kill for some SAGCCX level subs of video option or hot version, also best motoring but that doesnt exist anymore.
Hot Version has officially subbed versions out there, but I don't know if it actually got a US DVD release like Option (or "JDM Option" as they call it) and Best Motoring did.

Also, Hot Version came back a while ago, not sure if Best Motoring did.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The staff marvels as Arino drifts turns with ease and dips in and out of turns with speed and grace....then the APR financing info comes up, Arino laughs, and they realize they were just watching a TV commercial for the car.

Or he'll be speeding through a course, avoiding the cones, cornering with ease, and then at some arbitrary moment jerking the steering wheel, turning 90 degrees, and several seconds later slamming head-on into the wall at a hundred miles an hour.

Or causing multiple fatalities while trying to parallel park.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 21, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Or he'll be speeding through a course, avoiding the cones, cornering with ease, and then at some arbitrary moment jerking the steering wheel, turning 90 degrees, and several seconds later slamming head-on into the wall at a hundred miles an hour.

This sums up one of my friends who I've played multiplayer games with for many years to a T

He's amazing 95% of the time, and 5% of the time performs the most spectacularly mindless fuckups that result in catastrophic failure

(we made him play a healer in mmos, led to predictable hilarity in intense boss fights or raids)

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

The T-shirts are 3150 yen each, the windbreaker is 4200. The hoodie is 4620.

Oh, I didn't notice the hood. Or the sleeves. Or that I was looking at a sweatshirt. :wtc:

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes

zari-gani posted:

NO THIS IS HEARTBREAKING. The first TGS I actually get to go to, and... :(

sigh!!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What's the deal with that kid getting his head shaved as punishment in Satoshi Tajiri's anecdote?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mister Chief posted:

What's the deal with that kid getting his head shaved as punishment in Satoshi Tajiri's anecdote?

Because going around bald for a few weeks might have been embarrassing?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Fist Punch posted:

sigh!!

Maybe the ADs will be there? :(

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Corridor posted:

Maybe the ADs will be there? :(

I bet you can still buy that Tani shirt you always wanted.

Lazy Dog
May 23, 2003

rock out with your cock out
Apologies if this was posted before, but Japan Arcade (the last arcade Arino visited in his trip to the US) just announced on Twitter that they will be shutting down by the end of 2012. For those familiar with the fighting game community, Family Fun Arcade is also shutting down as well (JA and FFA are owned by the same person).

If you have an arcade near you, please visit them and drop in a few tokens. Arcades are dying off and they need your support.

RIP Chinatown Fair, Arcade Infinity, and now Family Fun Arcade and Japan Arcade.

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012
All the arcades I know of around here died out a few years ago (with the exceptions of those attached to child-oriented pizza places or miniature golf courses). I've always been an arcade rat, so to me online gaming is a poor substitute. :smithicide:

FireCar posted:

I bet you can still buy that Tani shirt you always wanted.

Or perhaps an Inoko MAX shirt!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Fist Punch posted:

sigh!!

He'll be there on Sunday (though not as the Chief) to present on-stage at the Japan Games Awards for the Future Division.

At least you can see some of the staff at the merchandise booth and get an awesome FOR TOO MUCH PLAYING TV GAMES clear folder.

Lazy Dog posted:

Apologies if this was posted before, but Japan Arcade (the last arcade Arino visited in his trip to the US) just announced on Twitter that they will be shutting down by the end of 2012.

This is sad. Arcades are dropping like flies.

ETA: It's been officially announced...

He goes there to compete in a game tournament. In a short-sleeved uniform!

Also the shocking staff confession that was advertised for this episode is: Kibe got married! He refused to say where they met, though. (spouse's gender unspecified)

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 21, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Those last 2 pics are amazing. Kibe flying around on a child's ride, enjoying himself immensely, and Inoko MAX giving the biggest smile while wearing a conical hat.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Even if Arino can't make it proper, all they need there is Abe, armed with a gigantic hot wok and various intimidating over-sized cooking utensils, with the merchandise situated such that the show goers can't escape his gaze/meal.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Man, Arino loved the poo poo out of Battletoads. I really hope they have him play the SNES sequel, and soon. Dude loving loved Battletoads.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
wanna meet that spouse

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Guess what came in today!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RadicalR posted:

drat you Amazon. :smith:

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Oh drat, I went to TGS yesterday but I didn't notice any GC:CX booths at all. :negative:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

RadicalR posted:

You must tell us how it is!

DiscoJ posted:

Oh drat, I went to TGS yesterday but I didn't notice any GC:CX booths at all. :negative:

They're in the merchandise area, between the Capcom merchandise booths.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

If anybody is there please PLEASE get a picture of that wall of Famicom carts. I pause the show every time they show it (like, all of twice) to try and make out all of them I can.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

RadicalR posted:

Can you give us a run down of everything that's on the disks?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

If anybody is there please PLEASE get a picture of that wall of Famicom carts. I pause the show every time they show it (like, all of twice) to try and make out all of them I can.

There's a decent photo of it in the GCCX V book, but it's just all the games Arino's challenged so far.

Although, the merchandise booth one is different and made completely out of Famicoms. Maybe a history of Famicom games in chronological order? The upper left ones seem to have the old plain labels.
ETA: A closer look.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 22, 2012

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Never thought of it before but they must buy several copies of every game since they give one away every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
No, I'm tired...

zari-gani posted:

You must tell us how it is!

Oh, well, if YOU'RE asking... :swoon:

http://imgur.com/wVQ9B,D2tAB,BGUqZ,Ki7Pz,3G0LQ,Uapp8

Of course, I reversed the cover for your artwork to be the front.
That makes me a cool dude, right? :c00lbert: