Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Drakkel posted:

Never thought of it before but they must buy several copies of every game since they give one away every episode.

Seeing how the box is always in mint/perfect condition, I guess the companies provide them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
You'll be surprised how well Japanese takes care (or cleans up) their games!
Just about every used game I have ever picked up in Japan almost looked like it was in perfect condition.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Yeah. I heard the reason is that buyback rates for near mint games in Japan is so good, some people just buy the games, keep them in perfect condition, then sell them as opposed to renting them.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Also the shocking staff confession that was advertised for this episode is: Kibe got married! He refused to say where they met, though. (spouse's gender unspecified)

Sadly, same-sex marriage is not allowed or recognised in Japan.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Corridor posted:

Sadly, same-sex marriage is not allowed or recognised in Japan.

Yeah, I just thought it was funny considering the fandom's perception of him.

vvv The one pictured in the studio is every game he's challenged. The one at the TGS booth is something else.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 22, 2012

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

zari-gani posted:

There's a decent photo of it in the GCCX V book, but it's just all the games Arino's challenged so far.

Although, the merchandise booth one is different and made completely out of Famicoms. Maybe a history of Famicom games in chronological order? The upper left ones seem to have the old plain labels.
ETA: A closer look.

The Steel Battalion box makes me assume it's every game he's played on the show.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Is he hangin' out with motherfuckin' Beat Takeshi?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

That's Director Fujimoto.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Who looks absolutely nothing like Beat Takeshi. :confused:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

drat you Amazon. :smith:

You say that but I have no idea when I'm getting mine :scotland:

Manfrey
Sep 18, 2006

Frying high
Feering good

Grawl posted:

Seeing how the box is always in mint/perfect condition, I guess the companies provide them?

Maybe, but used games in Japan tend to be in immaculate condition compared to the crap you see at Gamestop or similar.

edit: beaten by RadicalR, I shouldn't post at 4AM

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It's because they buy them from Super Potato who only sell mint used games. There are a million places to buy used games in Japan in awful condition. How many times have we seen a cartridge with someone's name written on it on the show?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
I'm not sure why you guys think the games are like new or mint or whatever, they look like they're in standard used (good) condition. If you look at the pictures at the end of the challenge when they mention giving away the games, you can see normal signs of wear.

It's pretty normal for used games to be in good condition, or rather, good enough so they don't look bad on these cameras. In my experience, the difference between a typical used, boxed game between the US (usually poor) and Japan (usually quite good) is striking. Books tend to be the same way, and I'm sure this applies for many other goods as well. Obviously you'll get worn copies with graffiti and all sorts of wear (especially Famicom carts--they're easy to scratch) but I wouldn't say that's typical.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 22, 2012

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Mister Chief posted:

It's because they buy them from Super Potato who only sell mint used games. There are a million places to buy used games in Japan in awful condition. How many times have we seen a cartridge with someone's name written on it on the show?
What was said about Japan's used game market is true though. I got some badass immaculate/complete used games from random electronics and hobby stores in small towns. Super Potato also deals in less than mint stuff. There's shelves of loose carts and they'll have multiple copies of the same game priced differently for their condition.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 22, 2012

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes

zari-gani posted:

He'll be there on Sunday (though not as the Chief) to present on-stage at the Japan Games Awards for the Future Division.

At least you can see some of the staff at the merchandise booth and get an awesome FOR TOO MUCH PLAYING TV GAMES clear folder.

Ahaha, unfortunately I didn't check the events before going, so I ended up going yesterday - a completely Arinoless endeavor. I did however run into Tanii and one of the more recent ADs (whose name I don't actually know) in a hallway! I got Tanii's autograph and he made fun of the AD, all like "Amazing, even this guy knows me. And he doesn't even care about your autograph! I'm barely even on camera." the AD just kept saying "sugoi." over and over.

I also spoke to Producer Kan as he rung up my EXTRAVAGANT PURCHASES and told him I'm a big fan of the show, and he got all smiley and asked where I was from and how I learned about the show etc. I told him that zari-gani introduced me to it (true in a roundabout way..) and he got a big smile and asked me to give her his regards! so... REGARDS FROM PRODUCER KAN, ZARI-GANI. and apologies for awkwardly namedropping you B) yoroshikus all around.

my haul....
The keychain is pretty cool and the calendar is... well, kind of useless but it looks neat! also bought but not pictured: the super stylish raglan shirt.

Too Orange
Sep 20, 2012
I've lurked this thread for a while now but decided to post, partly just to thank the team for the hours of free entertainment this show has given me. So kudos, SA-GCCX Team.

On topic though, we have a Famicom and some games here at home that my wife bought before we were together. I have to say that while they are in decent enough shape, I wouldn't necessarily say they are in any better shape than a typical used game I would buy here. One of the games actually does have what I assume is a name written on it, but given that I have basically zero understanding of Japanese, I have no idea what it actually says.

edit:
^ Completely jealous of your haul, Arinoless visit or not. Wish I could make it out there sometime.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Drakkel posted:

Never thought of it before but they must buy several copies of every game since they give one away every episode.

It'd make sense to have several copies anyway, just in case one turns out to have some kind of problem. They are 20+ years old, after all.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Games > Game Center CX - Too Much Doing TV Game

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Still at tgs if anybody wants a thing.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
What things are available besides the folders? I like things.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Oops I'm stuck in line at the Squeenix shop I will take a picture of their menu once I get out of this shop.

But they had the keychain, sweat towel, bandanna, shirts, a mouse pad(?), pen, fan, led light, water bottle and the calendar thing iirc

Chococat fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 23, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Fist Punch posted:

I told him that zari-gani introduced me to it (true in a roundabout way..) and he got a big smile and asked me to give her his regards! so... REGARDS FROM PRODUCER KAN, ZARI-GANI. and apologies for awkwardly namedropping you B) yoroshikus all around.

Hey no problem, thanks for giving me a mention and it's nice to know Kan said hello!

ETA: (moved my request to another post for Chococat's convenience)

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 23, 2012

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Drop in a token, look at a duck

zari-gani posted:

I totally want that Arino folder and keychain and would pay you back!

Same for me, if the offer still stands. I will gladly pay shipping and whatnot, and would throw in a finder's fee on top of it.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

I hope that's legible. I'm using the awful app right now so I can't check pms. Out of yen, orders closed.

Zari Gari your art is on the hoodie!

Chococat fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 23, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Chococat posted:

I hope that's legible. I'm using the awful app right now so I can't check pms. Please post here and I will do my buying run at 2pm Japantime

What's that controller looking thing in the yellow Famicom cart on the bottom right that costs ¥1,050?

vvvv Ahh, okay, thanks... I was hoping it was something a little cooler, but anything GCCX related is neat IMO.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 23, 2012

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Obeast posted:

What's that controller looking thing in the yellow Famicom cart on the bottom right that costs ¥1,050?
A mousepad.

Chara
Apr 24, 2008
Hey anyone know which episode showed the end of the quest of ki live show was?

Vinciolo
Aug 27, 2010
I'd like to request an Arino folder and a drink bottle, please - and those card-like things in the pink famicon border, too.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Definitely want keychain, if funds are okay interested in raglan sleeve t-shirt or hoodie but curious how sizing runs in those because Japan tends to size way smaller than the US does. Can Paypal or something pretty much immediately.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Chara posted:

Hey anyone know which episode showed the end of the quest of ki live show was?

Bonk's Adventure.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 23, 2012

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Vinciolo posted:

I'd like to request an Arino folder and a drink bottle, please - and those card-like things in the pink famicon border, too.
Caitlin I have room for either please note that the hoodie will be $60 before shipping though.

The card like things are stickers for your RF train pass and cost 420 for one so please confirm you'd like one. They only have Arino space invaders and the king. The drink bottle is probably can cola size and 1260.

Chococat fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 23, 2012

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
What are the 3 items in the upper-right-most carts? The red, yellow and blue ones.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

xamphear posted:

What are the 3 items in the upper-right-most carts? The red, yellow and blue ones.

King sprite cellphone stand, cut-out stickers, A5 report file.

(moved my request here for your convenience)
ETA: Some stickers too since they're pretty cheap, and a size M long-sleeved baseball shirt (ラグラン) if you don't mind shipping it. If you can't get everything that's fine; don't want to overwhelm you. Those are just the items I'm most interested in, in that order.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 23, 2012

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

xamphear posted:

Red is a weird little foam stand with the king on it. Yellow is a rpg style map that is a giant sticker (I think?) Blue is an A5 size notepad inside a gccx folder. The notepad is just plain grid paper though.

Vinciolo
Aug 27, 2010

Chococat posted:

The card like things are stickers for your RF train pass and cost 420 for one so please confirm you'd like one. They only have Arino space invaders and the king. The drink bottle is probably can cola size and 1260.
Yeah, I'd like one of the card things. I'd like the Arino one, please, as well as the other things I asked for. Thanks so much, mate!

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

zari-gani posted:

(moved my request here for your convenience)
ETA: Some stickers too since they're pretty cheap, and a size S long-sleeved baseball shirt (ラグラン) if you don't mind shipping it. If you can't get everything that's fine; don't want to overwhelm you. Those are just the items I'm most interested in, in that order.

Pasmo sticker or cut out sticker? Pasmo comes in either king and space invader so please specify of you want that one :)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Chococat posted:

Red is a weird little foam stand with the king on it. Yellow is a rpg style map that is a giant sticker (I think?) Blue is an A5 size notepad inside a gccx folder. The notepad is just plain grid paper though.

Chococat, I will happily overpay you immediately for a keychain, both available pasmo stickers, the ¥210 rpg map sticker thing, the king pin (in the purple cart, that's a pin right?) and the "too much TV game" folder. An absolute ton of thanks in advance! :D

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Chococat posted:

Pasmo sticker or cut out sticker? Pasmo comes in either king and space invader so please specify of you want that one :)

The 210 yen cut-out stickers. Thanks! I'd also like to switch to an M-sized shirt just to be safe. I can always shrink it if it's too big.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Chococat posted:

Caitlin I have room for either please note that the hoodie will be $60 before shipping though.

Yeah, the pricing doesn't put me off as much as the potential sizing issues as I am generally way outside normal Japanese sizing standards. Oh well. Maybe it's just me, but I can't read what kind of case is on the purple cart at the bottom? I'm assuming it's a pen or pencil case, in which case I'll just say that and a keychain because yeah that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Caitlin posted:

Yeah, the pricing doesn't put me off as much as the potential sizing issues as I am generally way outside normal Japanese sizing standards. Oh well. Maybe it's just me, but I can't read what kind of case is on the purple cart at the bottom? I'm assuming it's a pen or pencil case, in which case I'll just say that and a keychain because yeah that works.
Yep, a nylon pen case. Presumably it also supports pencils. ;)