Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Oh boy, more brand new Halo stuff
https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postsm1436682_Halo-4-NEW-media-blowout-HUB.aspx#post1436682

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Halo Waypoint Forums
Access Denied
You tried to enter an area where you didn't have access.
Continue...

This page was generated in 0.082 seconds.

So whats on that page?

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

BabyMauler posted:

Halo Waypoint Forums
Access Denied
You tried to enter an area where you didn't have access.
Continue...

This page was generated in 0.082 seconds.

So whats on that page?

Seems to work perfectly fine on my side on my phone. Shows videos released today that show campaign missions and the new Dominion mode along with screenshots. You can search in the 343 forums for "Halo 4 NEW media blowout HUB".

edit: Solace, a new MP Forerunner map, looks gorgeous :monocle:

Napolean Bonerfarts fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 21, 2012

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Oh hey, I found it. They really changed up the Jackals. Tiny dinosaur looking dudes now. War Games looks tits. Spartan Ops looks great as well.

Here is a link to that thread. Hope it works.

http://goo.gl/BCXCW

Dominion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aoJMAMR038

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Booties posted:

I prefer to call out "that dumb purple thing in the sky" when I play halo.

I call it my chariot.

This game looks bad Sarge. Real bad.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Oh good, they added kill-cams. I was so hoping my position would be given away every time I kill someone!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BabyMauler posted:

Oh hey, I found it. They really changed up the Jackals. Tiny dinosaur looking dudes now.

I like the new Jackals, I kind of think they would look even cooler if they were half way between the older design and this one, but it's fine as it is.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Why are we ignoring the CoD references, again?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The more I see of the loadouts stuff the more annoying most of it looks. I got douche chills from the whole video.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Honestly the only thing that really bugged me was having the weapon pick ups be on the screen, just kinds seems lame, and e text pop ups when you do anything. They are just unneeded. I would much rather they just use the extensive library of Halo icons for on screen pop ups like they always have. Especially if its just going to be some white text sans serif lazy typography.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Friendly Factory posted:

Why are we ignoring the CoD references, again?
I was trying to be optimistic about a lot of the changes, but I'm really starting to wonder the same thing. Mostly because the chain of events seems to be:

"We're totally not trying to be like CoD/BF3!"

*reveals another feature that's a staple of CoD/BF3 games*

Next they're going to tell us that friendly fire is out for MP, too.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

BabyMauler posted:

Oh hey, I found it. They really changed up the Jackals. Tiny dinosaur looking dudes now. War Games looks tits. Spartan Ops looks great as well.

Here is a link to that thread. Hope it works.

http://goo.gl/BCXCW

Dominion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aoJMAMR038

Dominion mode looks like a lot of fun. I don't know that it'll replace regular old Team Slayer for me, but I can see myself playing that a lot.

The Armory walkthrough's pretty neat, too. That's a lot of helmets to choose from, considering how much room was left on the scrollbar when they stopped showing them. I think either Recruit or Warrior was my favorite of what they showed.

Also, it sounds like killcams are only going to be on Dominion mode:
"Dominion gameplay -New Objective mode with dynamic territories and kill cams." Not that I think it would be a big deal if it was across all game modes, but this line makes it sound like it's just Dominion.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I god drat hope so. Kill cams are the worst. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I just want a new Halo game.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Oh good, they added kill-cams. I was so hoping my position would be given away every time I kill someone!
I don't understand why any FPS developer would want to add killcams to their games. It's basically a giant scream of "HEY LOOK AT HOW BAD OUR NETCODE IS" every time you die.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I always thought Kill Cams were awesome and I hate that in Battlefield 3 (the multiplayer game I've played the most over the past year or so) doesn't have them. I think they'll be a welcome addition to Halo and I can't wait to play Halo 4's multiplayer to see them in action in this context v:shobon:v

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's not that there is anything particularly wrong with Killcams, but it's a feature that has never been included in Halo before, and it seems like 343 is trying very hard to appeal to Activision's massive fps madden fanbase to come over and buy their game. Unsurprisingly, people don't like change, although to be fair, the camera will rotate to the location of your kill anyway in previous Halo titles, so it's not like it fundamentally changes anything; I really don't see the issue here.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

They say "Call of Duty" more than they say killcam, or Dominion

That said the gamemode does look awesome, I like the twists they add to it

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Those weapon skins look really awful, and the sniper scope is still dumb. Yes I am a big Halo baby.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
Does anyone with the Noble DLC for Reach want to try and help me get the You Blew It Up! achievement? You need to play a matchmade invasion game on Breakpoint, which is almost impossible now that there's no DLC playlist. You have to play the invasion playlist, which doesn't require DLC, and anyway the only thing anyone wants to play there is Spire. Ugh.

notepad.exe
Nov 5, 2004
Winnar³
Killcams are dumb and if you disagree you are wrong. :colbert:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

BabyMauler posted:

Oh hey, I found it. They really changed up the Jackals. Tiny dinosaur looking dudes now.

Could anyone post pictures? I tried looking at that thread gave up finding anything in that mess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TF2 killcam stills make the best screenshots in the world and nicely justify their existence. :colbert:

But I still don't want them or anything like it in my Halo.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Iacen posted:

Could anyone post pictures? I tried looking at that thread gave up finding anything in that mess.

They're vicious-looking little fuckers now:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

TF2 killcam stills make the best screenshots in the world and nicely justify their existence. :colbert:

But I still don't want them or anything like it in my Halo.

There's a difference between TF2 kill cams and the COD style kill cam that Halo is using. The TF2 kill cam simply whos you who killed you, so you can see what gun they have and look at all their hats, and also see where they were when they killed you. The COD kill cam is a 5 second replay from your killers perspective.

I think they should have the kill cam be in non-ranked games, so you can still get the learning ability of seeing your mistakes and the strategies of others from thier perspectives, but then when the matches count, those kill cams wouldn't show people where you were hiding.

Maybe they feel this type of kill cam will prevent camping, since the player you killed knows exactly where you were, and is most likely running back towards you for revenge.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Holy crap, they are savage little buggers! Though the bird looking fellas from the old games were kinda unique for aliens in games, I like the mutant bulldog look of these new dudes.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

V for Vegans posted:

There's a difference between TF2 kill cams and the COD style kill cam that Halo is using. The TF2 kill cam simply whos you who killed you, so you can see what gun they have and look at all their hats, and also see where they were when they killed you. The COD kill cam is a 5 second replay from your killers perspective.

I think they should have the kill cam be in non-ranked games, so you can still get the learning ability of seeing your mistakes and the strategies of others from thier perspectives, but then when the matches count, those kill cams wouldn't show people where you were hiding.

Maybe they feel this type of kill cam will prevent camping, since the player you killed knows exactly where you were, and is most likely running back towards you for revenge.

Kill Cams solve a gameplay problem ("How did I die?!") in the most ham-fisted way possible. If you have to resort to kill cams, your combat loop is completely broken.

Halo's combat loop hasn't been broken in the past, and unless they turned every gun into one shot kills, it still isn't broken now, so there's literally no reason to have a kill cam at all, short of copying Call of Duty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Why do we need killcams when all of your matches are automatically saved as replays that you can watch later?

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

V for Vegans posted:

This right here is the reason why kill cams exist, and why they have no place in halo.

Halo isn't a "campy" game like CoD is, sure you might hang out in one decent sniper area for a few shots/a minute or two, but you can't stay there forever. If nothing else you'll run out of ammo and have to go get more. However in CoD, if it weren't for the kill cams you could basically spend a whole match in the same spot if your opponents were dumb enough.

I remember in halo ...3 I think? the "kill cam" in that game is that the camera would look in the direction of the person who killed you. You got a general idea of where your killer was shooting from, which was plenty, and it's something your spartan would actually know, instead of a random POV change.

Kill cams in Halo 4 reek of a "CoD does it so we'll do it!" mentality from 343, which worries me because CoD play's totally differently. Also because kill cams serve to answer that classic scrub complaint of how camping is "cheap" or "unfair", and instead of trying to teach, or developing a tutorial on how to punish camping, developers just roll over and give the vocal minority whatever they want.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

LanceKing2200 posted:

Kill cams in Halo 4 reek of a "CoD does it so we'll do it!" mentality from 343, which worries me because CoD play's totally differently.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting out of this. Halo doesn't have things like suppressed weapons or tomahawks or somebody hucking a perfectly cooked grenade at your feet and instakilling you. Anything strong enough to kill you instantly is also flashy enough to make it clear what happened and if it doesn't kill you instantly, you'll take long enough to die that you should be able to figure it out. It's addressing a problem that Halo never really had.

And then they go and only implement it in one mode? I can't make sense of the thought process.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
That mode is very interesting with all the weird changes it has, like how a team that's about to lose gets over shields, and when they go into a point, they can't leave it until they cap it. I feel like the main strategy will be to let the other team capture all three bases, and then use the over shields to have people cap two of the points, and then just lock down the other team on the last point till the match ends.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm speechless! That thing is scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

V for Vegans posted:

That mode is very interesting with all the weird changes it has, like how a team that's about to lose gets over shields, and when they go into a point, they can't leave it until they cap it. I feel like the main strategy will be to let the other team capture all three bases, and then use the over shields to have people cap two of the points, and then just lock down the other team on the last point till the match ends.
Unless I misheard, they specifically said that merely holding two of the points while locking down the third would not be enough to win.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Won't people trying to get a good KDR *cough*iscariote*cough* just let the other team capture the 3 points so that they will have overshield and then kill the other team without trying to play for the objective?

tarehart
May 9, 2002
I think overshield mode is also sudden death for the shield-havers.

I'm looking forward to game-winning kill cams at least. Those were always a joy to claim in CoD.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Hdip posted:

Won't people trying to get a good KDR *cough*iscariote*cough* just let the other team capture the 3 points so that they will have overshield and then kill the other team without trying to play for the objective?

Because once a team goes into last stand mode they're marked on the enemy teams HUD, they can't respawn until they take a base, if they initiate capture of a base they get locked in until it's captured and if a certain amount of time passes they lose the game. It's like reverse sudden death mode.

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
Is the kill cam only for that new game mode or is it going to be put into team slayer and them? Really hope it only applies to the former

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Is anyone able to access http://halo.xbox.com and sign into their Live account in their? Its not working for me.

tarehart
May 9, 2002
It's been down all day, and I also hit a wall when trying to log into xbox.com.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

halo.xbox.com doesn't work for me at all, and I've had problems logging into xbox.com or live.xbox.com for the last week, generally resolvable by deleting all live.com, xbox.com and live.xbox.com cookies before attempting to login again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm playing the VIP gametype from Halo 3 in Halo Reach! Somebody discovered it somehow recently, and it's totally legit!!! The announcer says, "VIP. New VIP."

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread