Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Serious Frolicking posted:

What are some good assault rifles aside from elemental spiniguns? None of them that I try seem to be worth poo poo, including the many, many blue assault rifles from quest rewards.

Yeah good assault rifles are REALLY rare this time around. I have a Torgue one that shoots rockets but even it's not anywhere near as good as my Torgue pistol/shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Occupation posted:

Yeah good assault rifles are REALLY rare this time around. I have a Torgue one that shoots rockets but even it's not anywhere near as good as my Torgue pistol/shotgun.

I have two assault rifles that both do 20900 damage and neither is as good as my pistol that does half that.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I'm having a weird multiplier issue trying to play with my friend. We can join fine and play, but every minute or so, one of us gets "disconnected from the Steam network". Doesn't happen in any other steam game we've played.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

I've been playing a gunzerker mostly for solo play but am going to make a new guy to play with some friends that got the game late. How is Axton's turret? Is it just a support kind of thing like the first game or does it actually do damage? If he's not as good I was thinking of playing Zero instead.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So I unlocked the second playthrough with my Siren, but would rather do it on the Gunzerker. Is there any way to do that yet?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Amdis posted:

I've been playing a gunzerker mostly for solo play but am going to make a new guy to play with some friends that got the game late. How is Axton's turret? Is it just a support kind of thing like the first game or does it actually do damage? If he's not as good I was thinking of playing Zero instead.

Depends on which skills you take. It always does decent damage and works as a distraction, but if you take the left skill tree it absolutely wrecks poo poo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Comrade Flynn posted:

So I unlocked the second playthrough with my Siren, but would rather do it on the Gunzerker. Is there any way to do that yet?

No, and you don't want to; if you're not high enough level to kill the final boss on your Gunzerker you really, REALLY don't want to play on Vault Hunter with him.

Vault Hunter is...a massive, massive step up in overall difficulty this time around.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Occupation posted:

No, and you don't want to; if you're not high enough level to kill the final boss on your Gunzerker you really, REALLY don't want to play on Vault Hunter with him.

Vault Hunter is...a massive, massive step up in overall difficulty this time around.

Oh, what I meant was is there a way to start a level 30ish character from scratch for the second playthrough.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
The first, I was in a public matchmaking game and dropped an old blue Maliwan slag rocket launcher I had, and the guy dropped THAT to pick it up. I asked him if he was absolutely sure he didn't want it and he said yes. Hello Opportunity destroyer. Second is my shield that I got from The Bunker, anything hits/touches me it dies. Unless it's a boss. Sometimes it seems like it also turns regular bullets into corrosive ones, but only like 1/10 bullets. Third is just a badass rifle that's as close to a full auto AK with no recoil that I've found so far.

http://imgur.com/a/Nj3oh

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Oh, what I meant was is there a way to start a level 30ish character from scratch for the second playthrough.

N....no, and you really wouldn't want to do that either, since you really need to start with 30ish blues and above to do any real damage (and you want early caustic this time around because now there's a ton of early game armored enemies)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think maybe Borderlands 2 and I are on different wavelengths. I think the same could be said about my relationship with the first Borderlands.

Backstory: I played the first Borderlands with my ex. I played as Roland and she played as Mordecai. We probably got 2/3 through the main story before just burning out on the game. Everything was so samey that it just got boring.

Fast forward BL2 launch. Friend of mine convinced me to go in on a fourpack. The two of us played a bit release night. He played Axton and I went with Zer0. I feel like this game is punishing to the degree that it almost isn't fun at all. I mean, we are nowhere near bad players but it felt like we spent half our time dead in any gunfight. I feel like my character is made out of tissue paper.

I feel like this is a game that would be just about zero fun playing solo, but how does it handle when just popping into another players game?

Anyone have a guide to playing an effective Zer0?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
By the way, the CheatHappens trainer eliminates the Golden Key requirement, so you can open the chest as much as you like, but you need a CH subscription, which is pretty expensive.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012

Occupation posted:

N....no, and you really wouldn't want to do that either, since you really need to start with 30ish blues and above to do any real damage (and you want early caustic this time around because now there's a ton of early game armored enemies)

Agreed, Vault Hunter mode is no joke, they really ramped up the difficulty. I'm pretty much constantly switching weapons during fights to take down shields, armor, etc. and I'm finding slag weapons to be way more useful than in Playthrough 1.

I'm pretty sure if you're having difficulty at the start, you can go back to Playthrough 1 to grind some good gear.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
The enemy dialog in this is so fantastic, every time I play I hear something new and hilarious. I just threw a grenade that spawns 8 child grenades which each explode into more into some unaware enemies, and a nomad said "Oooh crap" in the most resigned voice. Poor guy knew he was hosed :haw:!

How many levels are their to the various goliaths? Max I've done is four since by that time they've killed everything and are near death.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Sarchasm posted:

Turns out Blight Phoenix is completely goddamn useless. There go my dreams of being a crazy shotgunning Siren like in Borderlands 1. Not even sure which weapons I should be using at this point.

Anyone have any interesting Maya builds for a 25-30 character?

Make sure to use the bullet reflection talent if you want to run around blight phoenixing everything. Get a kill then just run in guns blazing. Really helps with a mod that increases the bullet reflection talent because the damage reduction goes up to around 90%.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

Mordiceius posted:

I think maybe Borderlands 2 and I are on different wavelengths. I think the same could be said about my relationship with the first Borderlands.

Backstory: I played the first Borderlands with my ex. I played as Roland and she played as Mordecai. We probably got 2/3 through the main story before just burning out on the game. Everything was so samey that it just got boring.

Fast forward BL2 launch. Friend of mine convinced me to go in on a fourpack. The two of us played a bit release night. He played Axton and I went with Zer0. I feel like this game is punishing to the degree that it almost isn't fun at all. I mean, we are nowhere near bad players but it felt like we spent half our time dead in any gunfight. I feel like my character is made out of tissue paper.

Don't play games that aren't fun for you... If you feel like you are dying too much, try to focus your itemization and build around defense and/or change your strategy. You could also do missions that are green or gray if you're dying too much. You could also try to use skills and builds that benefit the team(healing, etc).

Also, if you're just running into the middle of a group of enemies, you can probably expect to die. Try to use cover and retreat to a position where you can pick enemies off or funnel them into a group and blow them up.

The funnest element of this game for me at least is finding new and exciting ways to mass-murder groups of enemies. On the flip side, I find the trivial missions pretty boring and only really do them if they give something I want(like a skin). I like having a sense of danger rather than steamrolling through stuff.

You can also open your game up to the public and have random pubbies join in. Sometimes it can be fun working with different classes and builds(try out new builds and items yourself too!).

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like this is a game that would be just about zero fun playing solo, but how does it handle when just popping into another players game?

Here's what I'm planning on doing. It's a lot of fun once you get an idea for which mobs to watch out for. Get a powerful pistol or SMG (or both) with a fast reload and +100% melee and just zip around the battlefield weakening poo poo with your gun until you get up close for a melee killing blow. I didn't even realize just how strong I was until I accidentally found out I could slice off a crystalisk's entire leg in a single swipe, whereas even my strongest gun needed several crits to take them off.

VVVVV What this guy says is true. It doesn't really start working properly until well into the lv 20s at least. I have died many frustrating deaths to easy poo poo like W4R-D3N, but it's all about picking your opponent (and your weapon (Always have a corrosive weapon on you)) correctly. In a multiplayer setting though, you should be able to easily dominate the weaker mobs so your teammates can keep the huge ones from eating your face.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 23, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Don't play melee until you have the gear and skill points to support it. Early on just about everything is very easy to snipe. Use deception to run away or reposition when heavily outnumbered, rather than jumping into crowds with a shotgun. Zero doesn't get good self-healing options until pretty far into his skill trees, so use transfusion grenades when they become available. If you have a weapon slot and ammo to spare, a tediore weapon can be kept one round down and then reloaded for easy second winds. Tediore reloads and grenades can also be used during deception without ending the effect.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Bilal posted:

Level 21, still haven't gotten a single orange drop :sigh:

I was having an issue where I could flawlessly connect to one guy in my friends list, and then when I tried to connect to my other friend it would always time out. I enabled DMZ on my router and then I could connect to the second guy no problems.

I didn't get my first one until 30ish

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, early game (below level ~10) it doesn't matter who you are, you play similarly. Hang back, snipe whatever you can, use grenades, be careful. Do sidequests first in the early game. Try some challenges to get badass ranks.

Once you exit the tutorial island (you've beaten Cpt. Flynt) things get smoother and you will probably have some nice guns and your skills will come into play.

It's kinda a bummer the early game is a bit lame, but it looks pretty and it's way better compared to the start of BL1.

e: finding a good gun helps shittons. I found a great fire SMG with nice accuracy at level 9, which melted every big goon with a big bunch of crits and fire damage. This is more luck-based of course!

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 23, 2012

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

The Gasmask posted:

How many levels are their to the various goliaths? Max I've done is four since by that time they've killed everything and are near death.

I've only gotten 2 levels so far. Generally, I bring the normal Goliath down to about 30% to make him level up once, but after that I can't seem to get him to level up again.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cardboard Fox posted:

I've only gotten 2 levels so far. Generally, I bring the normal Goliath down to about 30% to make him level up once, but after that I can't seem to get him to level up again.

Aren't Goliath level-ups based on the number of enemies they kill? So you have to let them kill all the other baddies first, and then possibly train them to another group to get them all the way to God level.

Jun 29, 2009
I've managed to get a few up to Ultimate, but never God-liath or higher. I wonder how many dudes do they need to kill to get beyond Ultimate? 2-3 doesn't seem to do it (although there was a lot of time between those kills).

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yeah, damaging doesn't level them. If you mean making them change from a Goliath into a Raging Goliath then you don't need to wound them - just shoot off their helmets and expose their freakishly small heads. They get so mad at you their skull and spine pops out of their mouth. Then you need to kite them into other enemies and let it murder them. Takes about 10 kills to go to max level. I'd advise you take out any elemental damage enemies, and try to weaken all enemies you want him to kill as much as you can. And don't have a spike or nova shield equipped :)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I kind of the like how Goliaths sound a bit like John Goodman. Everytime I hear them it's like Walter Sobchak or Madman Mundt is going loving insane against some baddies.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

The sheer scope of the game is what continues to amaze me. A shitload of time went into level design in this, and it never feels like you're repeating the same missions over and over like you did in BL1. I just spent like 2 hours going through everything in Lynchwood alone, I can't even imagine how much time I've spent in the game so far overall.

I've yet to see any real decent orange drops yet either, but some of the purple and blue drops I've found have more than made up for it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was feeling kind of down on gunzerking. Then I got a slagging SMG and a corrosive tediore shotgun. The combo of those two is just death at medium and close range.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

I was feeling kind of down on gunzerking. Then I got a slagging SMG and a corrosive tediore shotgun. The combo of those two is just death at medium and close range.

I just use two Hyperion shotguns, one slag, one corrosive. :getin:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

-Troika- posted:

I just use two Hyperion shotguns, one slag, one corrosive. :getin:

does each one have their own accuracy count or does firing one make the other more accurate?

On Terra Firma posted:

I've yet to see any real decent orange drops yet either, but some of the purple and blue drops I've found have more than made up for it.

I only found 1 oj on my p1, but I am on playthrough2 and I have found 4 so far. This is with skipping all the side quests and only doing story.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
What is the best tree for a solo siren? I am doing the one on the right with phoenix at the bottom. I don't see any use for the tree that has heals

Kind of regretting playing her since the skill is not that great solo.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like the right tree really gets good around level 40, until then I used the left tree because its kill skills really go a long way towards keeping you alive. The added damage of the right tree isnt needed until the second playthrough.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I kind of the like how Goliaths sound a bit like John Goodman. Everytime I hear them it's like Walter Sobchak or Madman Mundt is going loving insane against some baddies.

e: Just made my first God-liath. Doing it in Brick's hideout, first time you meet him made both the battle itself and the achievement laughably easy. Just uh.. be ready for him.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 23, 2012

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Today I found this pretty little thing in a Varkid "pile":

Edited:

...and it's E-Tech.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Does anybody else play with the "Badass" rewards turned off? I started to feel like it was giving me an unfair advantage but, with the way the 2nd playthrough sounds, they might almost be a requirement. I've queued up about 40 Badass tokens (you keep accruing them even if you have the bonuses deactivated) and they're just sitting there, getting dusty.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Meowbot posted:

What is the best tree for a solo siren? I am doing the one on the right with phoenix at the bottom. I don't see any use for the tree that has heals

I'm one of the few people that thinks Cataclysm (the right tree) is the correct way to go. The skill you get at 31 (Ruin) is unbelievably good - it does an absurd amount of damage and always hits a weakness. With that skill and 8 in helios (I have a class mod that's cooldown reduction, helios, and reaper), I kill just about any non-badass at-level enemy in one usage of my power with a surprisingly large area of effect.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I'm sure this has been asked several times already, but I didn't see anything in the past couple pages or the OP, so here goes: does enabling D3D11 in the engine ini file actually do anything? I only tried it for a few minutes last night after installing the game but it didn't seem to have much tangible effect on the visuals, if any.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Meowbot posted:

I'm going pretty heavy into Cataclysm. I'm an unstoppable killing machine with no fucks to give for anyone or anything. I'm aiming for Converge from the Motion tree, and most of the Cataclysm skills. I tend to favor opening with a slag sniper rifle to take out shields and slag guys then follow it up with a phaselock and letting loose with a shotgun or SMG with elemental damage. Between Helios which is buffed to rank 8 with my class mod and Cloud Kill dudes are usually full of dots after the first shot/phaselock and their health just melts away. 5/5 Flicker and choosing +Elemental chance and +Elemental damage from Badass rank tokens means just about every shot puts a brutal dot on someone.

You might want to try the Motion tree if you aren't feeling Cataclysm. There's a ton of survivability stuff there and lots of buffs to phaselock that might be more interesting depending on your play style.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Meowbot posted:

This is a pretty chaotic solo build that should have bullets and elements flying everywhere.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Space Racist posted:

I'm sure this has been asked several times already, but I didn't see anything in the past couple pages or the OP, so here goes: does enabling D3D11 in the engine ini file actually do anything? I only tried it for a few minutes last night after installing the game but it didn't seem to have much tangible effect on the visuals, if any.

At most it probably would just give you a few extra FPS, being a more efficient rendering pipeline. I've seen some people claim that things looked better, but they haven't had any concrete info and I haven't noticed anything myself.

If the devs had added any extra whatever in DX11 mode, they would've made it available in the settings menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Every once in a while Marcus sounds like Strong Bad, and it is awesome. This then leads to me thinking of Strong Mad whenever I'm gunzerking.

Need a Homestar Runner voice conversion.

• Locked thread