Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

usedpizza posted:

The WR right now is 4:00:33, for reference. Apparently, the record has already changed twice in the last twelve hours.

Yeah, I had to edit my post real fast because I still thought it was the drat 4:09 time that nkiller had. Anyway, Samura1man is now about a minute ahead of WR pace, so get in there and watch!

Edit: 3:57:54!!!

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I believe Samura1man is on a pace that could potentially be a new WR in Super Mario Sunshine 100%. He just finished getting the blue coins in Corona Mountain: http://www.twitch.tv/samura1man

3:57:54! Awesome run.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Hahaha, he said that was his second time running 100%, and he goes and shaves off 24 minutes from his personal best to get the WR by 2 minutes. What a beast.\

He's going to move right into a Super Mario Sunshine any% run now. I'm not familiar with what the record for that category is, though.

Edit: any% record is apparently 1:32:49 by a Japanese player named Toubou: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Akik9QOhyPLXdGdmMDdqcy1va3cwZFhYMm02dklqWFE#gid=0

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 23, 2012

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Any% is 1:32:49 and it is an insanely good time. There's a leaderboard for Sunshine here and you can see how no one has really come close to the current WR or Chibi. They're too strong.

edit: you're quick

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I wonder, is there significant time saved just by playing the Japanese version instead of the English? I know it's only like 2.4 seconds for SM64, but it seems like there's a bunch more text in Sunshine.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
It's faster, but not by any significant amount. I seem to recall it being less than 10 seconds (that could be wrong, but there's no way its more than a minute.) The Japanese are just that good.

Setz
Feb 10, 2008

Finished a new speedrun, this time it's co-op for Tobe's Vertical Adventure. I found some tricks that do cool things like let one player throw the other through the floor, and they let me cut the time down by one-eighth compared my solo runs.

13m48s TVA co-op run

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I picked up Tobe's Vertical Adventure last Christmas and had a lot of fun with it. It's pretty cool to see it broken like that.

Co-op speedruns will always make me long for a 4 player New Super Mario Bros. Wii run.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

E-Tap posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc/b/333078841?t=3h03m48s
It's a neat watch since it's a healthy portion of abusing the ice spell's freeze working like the same beam in Metroid. Combined with upward recoil from taking damage boosts, allows skipping a good number of stairs and climbing.

It's crazy that the ice spell only uses one heart.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The Sunday Sequence Break is live with puzzle games as this week's topic.

Among the world record highlights are Funkdoc's and Mike Uyama's Batman and Sub-Terraria runs, respectively, but even more alarming is that Tompa set a record on Zelda: Wand of Gamelon for CD-i. :stare:

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

iastudent posted:

more alarming is that Tompa set a record on Zelda: Wand of Gamelon for CD-i. :stare:
And the highlight clip he sent in for the run is just cutscenes, when speedruns always skip them. I think that's his motivation for getting that time.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Omnigamer doing more Firemen deathless attempts while being trolled by Axetinguisher Guy.

http://www.twitch.tv/omnigamer

E: 11:15 - Kevin trolls no more!

iastudent fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 24, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

iastudent posted:

Omnigamer doing more Firemen deathless attempts while being trolled by Axetinguisher Guy.

http://www.twitch.tv/omnigamer

E: 11:15 - Kevin trolls no more!

And now a victory lap with Timecop. The best way to celebrate!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Cosmo is streaming and talking over TSA's spliced OoT run from 2004.
It's really fun.

If he pauses and starts on the map screen, that's a splice.

http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright/

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Cosmo is streaming and talking over TSA's spliced OoT run from 2004.
It's really fun.

If he pauses and starts on the map screen, that's a splice.

http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright/

He's actually going through the entire history of OoT speed running, its just these early runs have spices that no one picked up on back in the day. In the next few hours (if he doesn't break and finish tomorrow) should start to get interesting with skips being discovered.

I think he's going to make a documentary with all the notes he's taking, so it should be interesting. When all said and done, but its fun to watch it all come together since he'll probably have to drop some of it (and probably all the currently amusing, yup there's the map that's a splice!)

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

pixaal posted:

He's actually going through the entire history of OoT speed running, its just these early runs have spices that no one picked up on back in the day. In the next few hours (if he doesn't break and finish tomorrow) should start to get interesting with skips being discovered.

I think he's going to make a documentary with all the notes he's taking, so it should be interesting. When all said and done, but its fun to watch it all come together since he'll probably have to drop some of it (and probably all the currently amusing, yup there's the map that's a splice!)

Yeah, all the splice finding was kind of a game the chat was playing. Cosmo will probably just mention that the runs were cheated and leave it at that in his final video. It was just something interesting to do, and everyone was able to join in with it.

For the curious we found 13 splices in the run based on the pause screen bringing up the map which in a speedrun it would only ever do it once.It happens only when the system has been restarted. One of the splices was also going from Gerudo Fortress to the Haunted Wasteland, you can hear the audio skip in both early runs.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Getting back to Dungeon Magic practice after a weekend break.

http://www.twitch.tv/iastSA

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Where would I go to find out more information for doing the ? Orb storage trick for Super Mario World? I've been trying it out, and while I got it once, I can't get it consistently because I don't really know why it works. The SDA thread doesn't really get into the specifics about it beyond how to do it, from what I saw.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ

JAssassin posted:

Where would I go to find out more information for doing the ? Orb storage trick for Super Mario World? I've been trying it out, and while I got it once, I can't get it consistently because I don't really know why it works. The SDA thread doesn't really get into the specifics about it beyond how to do it, from what I saw.

http://deanyd.net/smw/index.php?title=Orb

Basically you want to hit X and A at the same time, hold right and make sure to duck to avoid the chuck.

bad4brain
Dec 28, 2010
Does anyone know if there have been speedruns for Borderlands 2?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
The game has been out for, what, six days?

If there have been they're definitely not polished.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
On borderlands 2, there's a 3 post thread on SDA that was made today, with nobody who actually plans to run it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So did ZFG just give up on speed running Super Mario Galaxy 2 after like 2 days of trying?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Dr. Stab posted:

On borderlands 2, there's a 3 post thread on SDA that was made today, with nobody who actually plans to run it.

This sort of thing tends to happen a lot with big name titles, some overly excited person rushes to be the first to post about a FUTURE SPEEDRUN and then nothing good comes out of it for at least six months, if you're lucky. Though sometimes the initial post does have a neat trick in it.

Having not played BL2, from what I know if it, it wouldn't be the most friendly to a speedrun anyway, would it?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

UraniumAnchor posted:

This sort of thing tends to happen a lot with big name titles, some overly excited person rushes to be the first to post about a FUTURE SPEEDRUN and then nothing good comes out of it for at least six months, if you're lucky. Though sometimes the initial post does have a neat trick in it.

Having not played BL2, from what I know if it, it wouldn't be the most friendly to a speedrun anyway, would it?

Nope, if you don't do sidequests you'll be very heavily behind the leveling curve which means you're gonna get one or two shotted a lot, I guess they could do it with Axton but who wants to watch a run of someone of tossing down their turret and hiding behind a wall.

scrooger
Feb 26, 2006
Most new games are really boring when they are speedrun. The only game that's come out recently that is semi interesting to me has been dark souls.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

scrooger posted:

Most new games are really boring when they are speedrun. The only game that's come out recently that is semi interesting to me has been dark souls.

You should check out some Portal speedruns some time.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

scrooger posted:

I was going to say "I really liked Portal Done Pro-er and the single segment run done around the same time", but I guess Portal isn't a new game anymore…

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Is portal 2 just as broke? I remember it from SGDQ and alternating between confusion and laughter.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Portal 2 is certainly broken in some ways, but not nearly to the same degree as the original. Less OOB, more "oh you shouldn't have been able to portal there and skip an entire puzzle" tricks.

The shaft flying lets you skip some rooms too, but I forget if that's actually useful in a speedrun setting any more.

scrooger
Feb 26, 2006

wa27 posted:

You should check out some Portal speedruns some time.

I've seen the portal run and I don't find it that interesting. Honestly the only runs I really enjoy are quake, half life and mario 64, although that's kinda got boring to me just because I've watched siglemic, jiano and crew play it too much.

Some runs are kind of interesting but nothing really shows the speed and technical skill like those 3 games, to me at least.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
As the game industry gets bigger and larger, more and more games are being QA'd, and they're using more off the shelf components for physics/collision/AI/networking/etc. so crazy glitches, while they are still being found in newer games, don't come up that often.

If you want technically impressive speedruns, the run of Psychonauts by SMK at AGDQ was neat. They've now found an invisibility skip (but I don't know of an updated run with it), so it's now on the same level of OoT where you can beat the game by skipping 60-70% of it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Funkdoc's surprise tonight is apparently Holy diver. He's starting it very shortly.

https://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Initial Final schedule for AGDQ2013 here, if anybody wants to look:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alb3Dj0u13H7dG5SaWNLZTEtczRIVW5LOExyVWx5R3c

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sweet, sinister will be on at an hour I can watch, need to save up some money to get Punch Out in to since its gonna be a donation incentive.

Speaking of punch-out, the 25th anniversary book just need 800 bucks with 7 days to go.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
A whole lot of good in that list. Was excited to see Binding of Isaac being played right up until I saw the runner but oh well. Nice to see Cosmo closing it out properly as well, he'll probably make a big splash again, especially if the game is hyped properly that day. I think he hit what, 12K or 13K last year in viewers? I don't see why 15K or so can't happen considering how well this thing has grown each year.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Suspicious Dish posted:

where you can beat the game by skipping 60-70% of it.
Holy poo poo, i need to keep an eye out for that. That sounds amazing.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
OoT taking 6 hours? Are they doing a run of every single category?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Bebopaloobop posted:

OoT taking 6 hours? Are they doing a run of every single category?

100% run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

What does that include? MST + all heart containers and all skulltulas, all upgrades, right?

• Locked thread