Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

puppy party posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for programs that will remux MKV files to be aTV compatible? Preferably something can drag in meta data at the same time would be nice.

I've been using iFlicks, and it works very well. You can set it to watch a folder for new files too.
http://itunes.apple.com/no/app/iflicks/id408937559?mt=12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Or you could use this too: MKVtoMP4.

It doesn't come with a bunch of help/manuals but once you get the hang of it, it'll convert to MP4 in a fraction of the time that Handbrake takes. And you can queue up a bunch of files to convert all at once.

Plus, it also imports artwork and media ID tags as well.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I use IVI for that kind of thing. It's in the app store and OK at detecting files, looking up the metadata, and converting it no matter what format it is, including doing a pass thru if it's a MKV. It does the job but it feels a little clunky. Should not use comic sans or Apple equivalent for their website either.

Used to be $4 though, now it seems to be $10 which I think is a bit much.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 17, 2012

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
On a related note, there's a Mac/Windows app that turns your PC/Mac into an AirPlay server and it works pretty great. In my case I have a Mac HTPC and this will likely replace my AppleTV for me.

www.airserverapp.com

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

dexter6 posted:

The videos seem to convert fine, and the M4V files play fine in VLC, MPlayerX and Quicktime however they do not play in iTunes and will not transfer to an iPad.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Are you using the appropriate preset for your device?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Is anyone else disappointed that mac airplay is mirror only? And it doesn't transfer sound all the time?

Why can't I just stream a flash video instead of the whole display

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I'm sure Apple's working hard on implementing support for streaming Flash videos over Airplay.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Except there are non-apple apps that do just that.

At least have HTML5 support for airplay. Can we all agree that would be useful?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm more annoyed that my 27" 2009 iMac doesn't support it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I'm more annoyed that my 27" 2009 iMac doesn't support it.

While it's frustrating, just know that it isn't an artificial limitation-- airplay mirroring in the macs takes advantage of the h264 hardware encoding built into the sandybridge++ processors.

If you want to get a feel for how it works without hardware encoding, you can go grab the trial of AirParrot-- it gives you like 10 mins per use.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

kuskus posted:

Are you using the appropriate preset for your device?

I'm not using handbrake because it takes forever. It does work, though. My problem is with other apps that just do remux.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

dexter6 posted:

I have been slowly converting my AVI and MKV collection to m4v using Handbrake, but obviously each run takes a while. I recently tried using MP4Tools and have not had much luck. The videos seem to convert fine, and the M4V files play fine in VLC, MPlayerX and Quicktime however they do not play in iTunes and will not transfer to an iPad.

I have tried the latest stable and the latest beta, with no luck. I've also tried adjusting the frame rate to all of the options and that still hasn't worked. Does anyone have any ideas?

Are your Avis and mkvs already encoded with H264 video and AAC audio? If not you can't just Remux, you must reencode. You'll notice the pass through option in mp4tools turns red.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

Are your Avis and mkvs already encoded with H264 video and AAC audio? If not you can't just Remux, you must reencode. You'll notice the pass through option in mp4tools turns red.
I checked that. I did find one video that was red, but others (10+) are not. Strangely enough, the one that is red plays best in iTunes (it just doesn't have sound, but the frames actually move).

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I noticed that repacked xvid+aac videos actually play on the atv(3), though sometimes with dropped frames. As for why your vids aren't playing I've got no clue. I haven't run into an issue like that.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

mongoibur posted:

I've been using iFlicks, and it works very well. You can set it to watch a folder for new files too.
http://itunes.apple.com/no/app/iflicks/id408937559?mt=12
Seconding iFlicks. I've tried most of the other options (Handbrake, iVi, Mp4Tools, etc) and this is my favorite.

It's a mix between Mp4Tools and Handbrake, since it re-wraps MKV files into a new container and only converts audio when it has to. Works great with subtitles, too. You can even set it to watch folder via Folder actions and it will automatically convert, tag, and import your videos into iTunes.

Super recommended.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

MickRaider posted:

Is anyone else disappointed that mac airplay is mirror only? And it doesn't transfer sound all the time?

Why can't I just stream a flash video instead of the whole display

How about using clicktoplugin? You get an option to send the video to your apple tv in the upper left corner.
http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Well I guess the wifi in my ATV3 bit the dust tonight. I was watching Netflix and all of a sudden it kicked back to the home screen saying it isn't connected to the network. I reset my modem and router but the ATV doesn't detect any wireless networks whereas my iPad detects 3 or 4 besides mine. From a quick Google search it appears this is a common issue. I don't live near an Apple store, are they likely to replace it for me over the phone?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Well I guess the wifi in my ATV3 bit the dust tonight. I was watching Netflix and all of a sudden it kicked back to the home screen saying it isn't connected to the network. I reset my modem and router but the ATV doesn't detect any wireless networks whereas my iPad detects 3 or 4 besides mine. From a quick Google search it appears this is a common issue. I don't live near an Apple store, are they likely to replace it for me over the phone?

You should be able to get it replaced over the phone, depending on whereabouts in the world you live. It's also possible that you could get it replace at an authorised service provider. See http://www.apple.com/support/service/

In the meantime, have you tried any other Wi-Fi networks (personal hotspot on your phone/iPad if it supports it)?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

You should be able to get it replaced over the phone, depending on whereabouts in the world you live. It's also possible that you could get it replace at an authorised service provider. See http://www.apple.com/support/service/

In the meantime, have you tried any other Wi-Fi networks (personal hotspot on your phone/iPad if it supports it)?

It doesn't pick up ANY wireless networks, when it normally would pick up anywhere from 3 to 8

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
New 5.1 ATV software update for those of you using non-jailbroken ATVs.

Details here

Shared Photo Streams - Accept invitations for Shared Photo Streams, browse photos and comments, and receive notifications of new content.

AirPlay - Send audio content from Apple TV to AirPlay-enabled speakers and devices (including AirPort Express and other Apple TVs). Also includes the ability to require an onscreen code to use AirPlay with your Apple TV.

iTunes account switching - Save multiple iTunes accounts and switch quickly between them.

Trailers - Search movie trailers. In the United States, see show times for local theaters.

Screen savers - New Cascade, Shrinking Tiles, and Sliding Panels screen savers.

Main menu - Reorder icons on the second page by holding down the select button on the remote.

Subtitles - SDH support for the deaf and hard-of-hearing as well as improvements to viewing and selecting subtitles.

Network configuration - Support for setting up advanced network options using configuration profiles. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5437 for more information.

Stability and performance - Includes general performance and stability improvements.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
EDIT: Double Post.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I was just wondering yesterday when that was going to come out. They'd been running betas for as long as iOS 6 was in beta, but it didn't release at the iPhone event. I figured they were possibly saving it for next month.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
They're never going to bring over the App Store, are they?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ezrem posted:

Unlikely. Limited OS environment on the little guy. The details are in an earlier post in this thread but there is a whole lot of free space to work with.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Ezrem posted:

I'd say it'll probably happen only if Apple can convince the TV Studios/Hollywood to allow them to make their AppleTV TV Set/Cable box/whatever it is. It's the thing that Steve Jobs was quoted as saying he finally cracked [figuring out how to make streaming tv and regular tv work together].

However, rumors and stories have surfaced that the networks/studios aren't hopping on board as quickly or easily as Apple would like (big surprise).

If it does finally happen, I'd expect to see the AppleTV platform grow with apps (the NBC AppleTV app, the AMC app, etc).

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Since updating my ATV3 to 5.1, MLB.tv hasn't worked at all. Anyone else seeing this?

Edit: I posted a thread about this in the Apple Discussion Forums. Someone figured out that disconnecting the Ethernet cable and switching to Wifi solved the problem. An Apple employee has chimed in and is gathering info to solve the problem. I'd expect 5.1.1 to not be too far away. If Wifi isn't an option for you, don't update.

Here's a link to the forum thread: https://discussions.apple.com/message/19750621#19750621

CygnusTM fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 26, 2012

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
I'm a little bummed you can't move the top row of icons. I only use one of the icons on the top row :/

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Maybe you can hide them?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/tips/comments/hiding-main-menu-icons-on-the-apple-tv/

Now we wait for jailbreak on 5.1 :)

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

mongoibur posted:

How about using clicktoplugin? You get an option to send the video to your apple tv in the upper left corner.
http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

I still can't get that to work. Unfortunately I have flash on here.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Have you tried resetting the ATV? Trailers stopped working for me and a reset fixed that.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Something I just figured out is that my ipad doesn't need to be dedicated to airplay. Running youtube videos or air video server I can go and do other stuff with the ipad. Originally I didn't think you could do this because playback stops if you hit the back button or select another video even if you don't hit play (both the youtube app or air video app).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EDIT: wrong thread.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 3, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I was pointed to AirVideo Server Beta (for my Mac) to stream & convert mkvs to my ATV2. (to replace PS3Media Server streaming and transcoding MKVs to my PS3)

I have AirVideo Server (the latest release) and an ATV2. I'm just not sure what I need to do... I downloaded some other app, AirFlick... which supposedly works in tandem between my Mac (Air Video Server) and my ATV2... but I'm just a bit lost as to how it all goes together.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Feenix posted:

So I was pointed to AirVideo Server Beta (for my Mac) to stream & convert mkvs to my ATV2. (to replace PS3Media Server streaming and transcoding MKVs to my PS3)

I have AirVideo Server (the latest release) and an ATV2. I'm just not sure what I need to do... I downloaded some other app, AirFlick... which supposedly works in tandem between my Mac (Air Video Server) and my ATV2... but I'm just a bit lost as to how it all goes together.

pretty certain you need airvideo on an iDevice, then airplay to the Atv.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Laserface posted:

pretty certain you need airvideo on an iDevice, then airplay to the Atv.

Oh sorry... apparently there's an app that has removed that need, called AirFlick. I have that too... but I can't seem to get that to work either...

http://download.cnet.com/AirFlick/3000-2378_4-75330533.html

[edit] but I just bought the mobile app and will try that now..

[edit again] Passed it off from my phone to my ATV2 (Convert&Stream) and it works nicely but it kinda looks like poo poo? Real jaggedy.

[edit again again...] I saw a slider scale in the iphone app... made it look a wee bit better...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 3, 2012

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Probably need some more information like the source quality and so on. Not familiar with airflick but on air video I only notice quality issues or artifacting with low quality source video.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I've never had any problem streaming HD mkvs to my aTV using AirVideo on an iDevice. Quality is perfect (although the sound isn't 5.1)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I watched all of Kung Fu Hustle in HD on youtube, which seems like it shouldn't be there but I'm not complaining. Are there other youtube HD movie channels people know of because it's basically free netflix.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Wario In Real Life posted:

I've never had any problem streaming HD mkvs to my aTV using AirVideo on an iDevice. Quality is perfect (although the sound isn't 5.1)

Yeah, video quality is great. It's really starting to bug me that it's only in stereo though... I wonder if that will ever change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ddogflex posted:

Yeah, video quality is great. It's really starting to bug me that it's only in stereo though... I wonder if that will ever change.

Maybe if they can ever figure out how to do 1080p but I've heard that's a alongshot given how much processing power it would require.

• Locked thread