Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
A much better look at Tauriel from the toy packaging:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, i guess she's hot, but there's just something slightly off about her. She doesn't really look like an Elf. She doesn't have that same 'mystical' look as Galadriel and Arwen. I can't really explain it.

Of course I am looking at a photo on a toy package and it's probably a bad angle so I'll reserve judgegment for when we see her on screen.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Octy posted:

Well, i guess she's hot, but there's just something slightly off about her. She doesn't really look like an Elf. She doesn't have that same 'mystical' look as Galadriel and Arwen. I can't really explain it.

Of course I am looking at a photo on a toy package and it's probably a bad angle so I'll reserve judgegment for when we see her on screen.

Well, I believe the filmmakers are making a deliberate point of introducing her as part of an Elven race we haven't seen yet; she's a Silvan elf, and we haven't really had any of them in the films yet. Legolas and Thranduil are Sindar, despite the fact that they rule over a bunch of Silvan elves. Galadriel is a mixture of Noldor and Teleri, and very old and powerful. Elrond (and Arwen) are a right mixture of Sindar and Noldor (and Human).

If I remember from the official film blurb, Silvan elves are supposed to be shorter than the other elves, and more "down-to-earth and practical" - I think the filmmakers are using this as an excuse to have a race of elves that are less floaty and mystical (and tend to party and get drunk a lot, if they stay close to the canon).

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Octy posted:

She's going to be the 'Prince of Persia - The Two Thrones' of elvendom to sell cool and badass toys*

*tauriel died on her way back to the grey havens

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I knew combining Evangeline Lilly with elf getup was going to do things to me that would make me feel like a disgusting nerd perv but goddam if that's not the hottest loving thing I've ever seen.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

kiimo posted:

I knew combining Evangeline Lilly with elf getup was going to do things to me that would make me feel like a disgusting nerd perv but goddam if that's not the hottest loving thing I've ever seen.

I also notice that they have gone a bit dark and dominatrix-y with her costume. They didn't have to do that, but they did.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

They didn't have to dress her like they did, but they did but they did.

And I thank them.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Rawk Hawk posted:

This is exactly it. Every time I sit back and do a comparison between the movies and the books, I get pissed off. Every time I sit back and just watch the movies, I couldn't be happier.

The first time I saw a trailer for LOTR, I wasn't even aware they were making a movie of it.

I was in the theater and I still remember how I felt when the screen was black and then suddenly,

"One ring to rule them all..."

I nerded out so hard I pretty much just SHUT DOWN.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Paolomania posted:

And he is the one that got closest to "living happily ever after".

And Sam got a hawt blonde wife, too.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Octy posted:

It's because she's posing like a loving pin-up.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Trump posted:

Don't you speak about my Tauriel like that!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
While they're making up characters, why not have The Rock guest star as a hammer-wielding barbarian or Christopher Walken as the Wizard Funbagzz?

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Christopher Walken as the Wizard Funbagzz?

This is one of the few changes I might be ok with.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Unzip and Attack posted:

While they're making up characters, why not have The Rock guest star as a hammer-wielding barbarian or Christopher Walken as the Wizard Funbagzz?

You know... The Rock would be pretty intimidating as an orc.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Trump posted:

She's looking over her shoulder. Good grief.
DON'T BE SO HASTY.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I am very, very close to unbookmarking this thread. Let's just calm it all the gently caress down now.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I am very, very close to unbookmarking this thread. Let's just calm it all the gently caress down now.

It is perfectly reasonable for full grown adults to get bent out of shape about a character's pose on the box, of a toy, for a movie that hasn't come out yet. Oh wait.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Only 2 and a half months to go.... we can make it, guys! :ohdear:

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Who in the crickey gently caress is Tauriel!? She is not in the book! This is bullshit! I blame Peter Jackson no, I blame that smug Phillipa Boyens. She better not be a love interest! Oh My Immersion. gently caress an unexpected journey.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Ugh, agreed, can't believe this vapid un-elf-like whore made it in instead of my beloved Tom bumblefuck.

A fantasy movie that attempts to have some female representation in it, this truly was the most unexpected journey.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Ugh, agreed, can't believe this vapid un-elf-like whore made it in instead of my beloved Tom bumblefuck.

A fantasy movie that attempts to have some female representation in it, this truly was the most unexpected journey.

Stupid fantasy film, revealing my sexual biases. :mad:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Unzip and Attack posted:

Thing is, right, how can you make an adaptation of this book and not beef up the role of at least one of the Mirkwood Elves? Would it work if Thranduil is left entirely on his own as literally the only Elf in the whole of goddamn Mirkwood who ever has anything to say or do?

Tauriel represents the head of the Elven guard. The Elven guard do a fair bit in the book so to keep them all as faceless mutes would be really really difficult.

teagone posted:

You know... The Rock would be pretty intimidating as an orc.

Sure, he can be Conan Stevens' Bolg's short wimpy sidekick I guess.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 26, 2012

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I never understood the difference between the Sindarin (grey elves) and the Silvan (green elves). I know they were both Teleri elves that never completed the great journey when summoned by the Valar. I suspect that the Sindar stayed behind to find their lost king, Elwe, while the Silvan just sort of stayed behind just because they felt like it. But I always thought it was the Dark Elves who chose to stay behind. Are the mirkwood elves supposed to be green elves or grey elves? I remember, in the rankin-bass cartoon, they made the grey elves of mirkwood literally grey, which only confused me as a kid.

Also, they made Thranduil look rather old, which made even less sense since he was supposed to be an ageless elf.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 26, 2012

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Gianthogweed posted:

I never understood the difference between the Sindarin (grey elves) and the Silvan (green elves). I know they were both Teleri elves that never completed the great journey when summoned by the Valar. I suspect that the Sindar stayed behind to find their lost king, Elwe, while the Silvan just sort of stayed behind just because they felt like it. But I always thought it was the Dark Elves who chose to stay behind. Are the mirkwood elves supposed to be green elves or grey elves? I remember, in the rankin-bass cartoon, they made the grey elves of mirkwood literally grey, which only confused me as a kid.

It gets a bit complicated (and Tolkien changed his mind on some of these things several times) but basically the distinction is this: there are "Eldar", elves who went west with Orome, and "Avari", who did not. "Green elves" are actually just a specific faction of the Nandor, a group of mostly Telerin Eldar: they originally started the march with everyone else but then turned away south or stayed behind around Anduin. Much later, when Morgoth came back and the Noldor were chasing him and things started getting really unpleasant, some of them (under one Denethor, which is the origin of that name) went west and north again and ended up in Ossiriand, mostly keeping to themselves in the forests (and wearing camo at all times, hence "green" elves) after suffering disastrous losses in an early battle. That's probably a finer distinction than you were looking for.

The Sindar are those who made it all the way to the sea but stayed behind for Elwe's sake, mostly, yes. They're called "grey" elves because they're sort of in between the light elves and dark elves in that they didn't make it to Valinor but did live in a pretty cool place ruled and protected by a guy who did together with a major Maia.

The silvan elves of the Third Age (hobbit times) are an amalgamation of various peoples: Nandor who didn't follow Denethor, Avari, and green elves and Sindar displaced from the sunken lands west of the Ered Luin. The Mirkwood elves specifically were said to be mostly Nandor; Thranduil himself, though, is the son of a Sindarin noble called Oropher who went east with his family after the War of Wrath and sort of took over the place. (Oropher died at Dagorlad, leaving the job to Thranduil.)

/
:spergin:

As many words as those are, I've left out a lot of detail. Wikipedia, naturally, has a whole article on the subject, including this helpful diagram which is kind of funny and would be included in this post if imgur wasn't being silly.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I hope Tauriel gets them back to the island in time.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Dan Didio posted:

Yes, my tongue-in-cheek objection to characters being added to the story definitely means I'm a sexist rear end in a top hat who hates women/thinks they are whores and that I demanded that Tom Bombadil be included in the Rings Trilogy.

Truly you have a knack for peering into men's souls. :rolleyes:

Geez this thread is full of people who can't loving take a joke one way or the other. I made a Chris Walken-as-a-wizard joke and immediately get attacked for being a misogynist and a sperglord? Jesus loving Christ.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I demand Bombadil be added to the movies. :colbert: Try and change my mind.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

I demand Bombadil be added to the movies. :colbert: Try and change my mind.

Are we allowed to alter the character in any way?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Are we allowed to alter the character in any way?

Well, like all the movie characters, less singing I guess.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Well, like all the movie characters, less singing I guess.

To be honest, I'm at a loss. He's pretty much the most untouchable (most powerful?) entity met in The Lord of the Rings. The fact that he's just randomly there for a couple of chapters, just minding his own business and not giving a poo poo about the ring (whose power can't even touch his) just diminishes the journey and struggle of every other character in the story.

"So you're up against Sauron, eh? Oh well, off you go, good luck with that. Doesn't bother me, I'm pretty much a God lolol".

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 26, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

To be honest, I'm at a loss. He's pretty much the most untouchable (most powerful?) entity met in The Lord of the Rings. The fact that he's just randomly there for a couple of chapters, just minding his own business and not giving a poo poo about the ring (whose power can't even touch his) just diminishes the journey and struggle of every other character in the story.

"So you're up against Sauron, eh? Oh well, off you go, good luck with that. Doesn't bother me, I'm pretty much a God lolol".

Well.

1, They say in Fellowship at the Council of Elrond that Sauron would defeat Bombadil...eventually. But thats just elves speculating so it doesnt hold that much weight.

2, You are right. He's a powerful force that isn't involved in the struggle at all. Just like people like the Hobbit for being Bilbos small journey in a larger world. Bombadil represents the larger power and forces in the world. Sauron isnt the big bad devil analog. He's only a lieutenant in the early wars with all the big hitters. Bombadil represents the forces of nature that just move along while the world is in peril and ignores them, and just keeps on going.

I fully understand the difficulties he represents, but I still love him. Its hard to argue that he should have been in Fellowship though.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Having just rewatched all the movies i realised something:

The Uruk-Hai don't wear pants.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Eastbound Spider posted:

Having just rewatched all the movies i realised something:

The Uruk-Hai don't wear pants.

"An Uruk-hai has one weakness. Its outer armour is solid iron but for a small culvert at its groin which is little more than a drain."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

"An Uruk-hai has one weakness. Its outer armour is solid iron but for a small culvert at its groin which is little more than a drain."

Any doubts I had about following this thread religiously have been rectified by this one glorious, albeit nauseating, post.

I'm incredibly excited about this movie, which leaves me a bit worried. I was cautiously optimistic about LotR and was pleasantly surprised other than the usual "what exactly were they thinking?" moments. Now I'm downright giddy and I'm not sure The Hobbit can deliver, and I'm leery about the decision to make it a trilogy.

Still, unless it's truly awful I'm going to have to see it at least a few times to compare 24 fps versus 48 fps and to see how the 3D works out. Admission time: I have not seen any 3D theater releases since Captain EO in, what, 1988 or something like that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bombadilillo posted:

Well.

1, They say in Fellowship at the Council of Elrond that Sauron would defeat Bombadil...eventually. But thats just elves speculating so it doesnt hold that much weight.

2, You are right. He's a powerful force that isn't involved in the struggle at all. Just like people like the Hobbit for being Bilbos small journey in a larger world. Bombadil represents the larger power and forces in the world. Sauron isnt the big bad devil analog. He's only a lieutenant in the early wars with all the big hitters. Bombadil represents the forces of nature that just move along while the world is in peril and ignores them, and just keeps on going.

I fully understand the difficulties he represents, but I still love him. Its hard to argue that he should have been in Fellowship though.

I agrree. I kind of like old Tom. Most powerful dude around, can do whatever he wants. As it happens what he wants is to sing terrible songs, eat honey sammiches and bone Goldberry. BOOYA. But taking him out of the films was very sensible - I doubt that it's even one of the decisions they thought about for very long. Plus if you really want to you can pretend they met him but the film didn't show it.

More controversially I feel the same way about the Scouring of the Shire - it was my favourite bit of the books, growing up, but it would have looked ridiculous on screen. LITTLE PEOPLE! ATTACK THE '80S ACTION MOVIE BADDIES!

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 26, 2012

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

Sure, why not. The movies already gonna be nothing at all like the book, might as well add whatever.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well if we all knew the exact story, it wouldn't be a very unexpected journey, now would it? :colbert:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Can the people who are bent out of shape about stuff being added to the Hobbit spare us the groaning and just wait 3 years until all 3 movies are out on DVD and someone makes a fan edit with the EXACT plot of the book?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Vigilance posted:

Sure, why not. The movies already gonna be nothing at all like the book, might as well add whatever.

That is strange, everything I have seen looks a lot like the book. I know people refuse to acknowledge that these books would make for terrible movies if simply put on the screen word for word, but honestly, apart from the worry that there is not enough material for three movies, i see only minor things to argue about, and all of them are design choices made by Jackson, and any director would have a personal take on those.
I don't think that Guillermo del Toro
Steampunk version of the Hobbit would have made people any happier.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

crazylakerfan posted:

Well if we all knew the exact story, it wouldn't be a very unexpected journey, now would it? :colbert:

The movie is just gonna be all in Tolkiens head.

*~it was all a dream~*

• Locked thread