Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Krenzo posted:

There's a lot of talk about the Kickstarter rule change, and someone pointed this interesting post out:

The Hanfree iPad accessory was funded over a year ago and never delivered, and they never explained what happened to their backers nor issued refunds. Some backers sued saying they bought a product alleging Kickstarter is a store, and the creator of the Hanfree declared bankruptcy.
If that's true, that's kind of funny because this Hanfree thing would easily pass all the new rules as long as it got rid of the 3d render and just kept all of its prototype pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

Someone did a sort of Let's Play of the current build of Scrumble Ship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaNUGg5ZZJA

... amongst other things, it shows off the destruction / heat simulation end of things. Around 28 minutes in, you can see the organic components. The veins in particular look quite... drippy.

Oh god it's like Spacestation 13 plus Minecraft.

It looks pretty cool but it seems like one of those things that might run into the problem of putting so much work into the simulation aspect that they forget to make an actual game out of it. One thing that makes Minecraft so clever is the monster behaviour encourages you to build things - monsters spawn in darkness so you need a place to hide at night, but you can place torches to push back the area they can spawn, so you need to go digging for coal at a minimum unless you're content with digging a two-block hole in the dirt every night as your shelter.

Scrumble Ship has the obvious game angle of flying around and getting in fights with other ships, but that might get boring after a while without some direction. Especially since the freeform building means that it will probably be pretty easy to come up with some ridiculously effective design to trivialize any fight - so to keep it interesting the developers are going to have to get creative with weapon/enemy design to prevent one setup from being able to handle any challenge.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Here's something interesting: Howard Phillips, probably best known for his appearance in the Howard & Nester comics from Nintendo Power, is kickstarting an education game. It seems kinda cool but I still didn't get a great sense from the video on what the game actually is.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.
Remember Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood?

Their creator, Doug Tennapel has just launched a Kickstarter for a hard-back compilation of his best sketches over the past few decades:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1812253609/doug-tennapel-sketchbook-archives?ref=discover_pop

I had a dream something like this was going to happen.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's cool, and I honestly kind of want one, but I'm pretty sure Doug Tennapel is a hardcore Tea Party supporter who opposes gay rights, and I really don't want to give him any money.

Edit: For more info. Sorry, I don't mean to start a whole thing, but I think people should know.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 25, 2012

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Axegrinder posted:

Their creator, Doug Tennapel has just launched a Kickstarter for a hard-back compilation of his best sketches over the past few decades:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1812253609/doug-tennapel-sketchbook-archives?ref=discover_pop

Halfway through the book it will suddenly turn in to a political allegory about how interfering with corporate interests is the true evil, using sketches of Tennapel's daughter as a mouthpiece.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Axegrinder posted:

He's a piece of poo poo though. He's not getting a penny out of me, regardless of my love for The Neverhood and Earthworm Jim. And his friendship with Mike Nelson.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hakkesshu posted:

That's cool, and I honestly kind of want one, but I'm pretty sure Doug Tennapel is a hardcore Tea Party supporter who opposes gay rights, and I really don't want to give him any money.

Edit: For more info. Sorry, I don't mean to start a whole thing, but I think people should know.

What a broken person. Was going to happily pay for his sketchbook, too.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm just sad there's no comments on the Kickstarter to that effect, though I imagine he's deleting all of them. :(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What a broken person. Was going to happily pay for his sketchbook, too.

I had read through the entire thing before it was deleted (I'm pretty sure it was) and the stuff on GayGamer is just the tip of the iceberg.

Dude is a terrible person.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Hakkesshu posted:

quote:

DTN: Give me some time all I'll see what I can do. You realize this conversation is going to be used by your people to justify a permanent boycott of my work. They would probably use this argument to justify me not being able to visit anyone in any hospital while they're at it. THis argument isn't about laws and marriage, it's about cultural witch hunts. THere are a lot worse things than not being able to marry your same sex.

Yeah I don't think I want to give anything to somebody who thinks it's the poor bigots who are being victimized.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Axegrinder posted:

Thank you! I just wish international shipping wasn't that much, because I'm quite tempted to pledge 50 dollars.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sooooooooo 3D Realms are trying to get funding for a new game via a kickstarter style site called Gambitious.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-25-3d-realms-returns-with-post-apocalyptic-fps-earth-no-more-on-new-crowdfunding-site-gambitious

"As for Gambitious, the major difference between it and established rival Kickstarter is its ability to buy equity to fund projects, in addition to the more straightforward donation model."

This is going to be hilarious.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what the intended portmanteau was, but I can't stop reading 'gambling' out of 'gambitious'.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Bieeardo posted:

I'm not sure what the intended portmanteau was, but I can't stop reading 'gambling' out of 'gambitious'.

Same. I guess it's supposed to be "game-bitious" instead of a hard "a" sound but who knows. The last thing I think we need now is a whole bunch of Kickstarter-like things popping up all over the place.

Also :aslol: what smoking wreck of 3DRealms is involved in this.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My head just can't get around the gigantic brass balls they have to even consider asking game fans to crowdfund a new project after the decade long trainwreck DNF was.

How is 3D Realms still even a company?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bieeardo posted:

Considering that they're allowing people to make actual investments rather than just donations, that's not far off from the truth.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Considering that they're allowing people to make actual investments rather than just donations, that's not far off from the truth.

Well on the video on that link that explains the site, the spokesperson pronounces it like "gamble", and the word "gambit" is directly included in the title so I'm pretty sure that it is intentional. I guess you could argue that they're going for "gambit" as opposed to "gamble" but that's a pretty fine distinction to make.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
It should be interesting to see what lawsuits come out of that site. Kickstarters are pretty well protected, but - if you're an actual investor? That is a very, very different thing.

... also, this isn't gaming, but some people are working on a thing to fix website Terms Of Service. Crowd sourced boiling down of TOSs into a paragraph plain english and a few ratings. It touches on gaming by virtue of how many games have giant EULAs/TOSs that no one ever reads - and as games are increasingly online, it opens the door to lots of data-sharing nastiness.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bieeardo posted:

I'm leaning towards game/gaming + ambitious.

Which is still horrible.

But please succeed, I want more 3D Realms vaporware.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Kickstarter has, by the way, posted some common questions that's asked a lot.
Like this one:
Kickstarter announced that it's prohibiting product renderings in the Hardware and Product Design categories, but "rendering" can mean a lot of things. What does Kickstarter mean?

To clarify, we mean photorealistic renderings of a product concept. Technical drawings, CAD designs, sketches, and other parts of the design process will continue to be allowed. Seeing the guts of the creative process is important. We love that stuff. However renderings that could be mistaken for finished products are prohibited.

So as long you don't have a professional 3D max rendering (*cough*Like Ouya*cough*), you should be clear. Hopefully that also helps mutata from earlier on this page

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I hope 3D Realms lists however many tens of millions they spent, of both their own money and their publisher's, to make DNF. "Now imagine what we can do without those nasty PUBLISHERS breathing down our necks!"

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Well, obviously they might have it even easier to piss away money, when there aren't any evil publishers demanding "work disciplin", "progress" and "a functional game".

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Iacen posted:

Well, obviously they might have it even easier to piss away money, when there aren't any evil publishers demanding "work disciplin", "progress" and "a functional game".

Literally none of that was demanded of them. The situation at 3D Realms was so hosed up. They had infinite latitude to do anything, to take as long as they want, and to piss away all the money for no progress.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Iacen posted:

Kickstarter has, by the way, posted some common questions that's asked a lot.
Like this one:
Kickstarter announced that it's prohibiting product renderings in the Hardware and Product Design categories, but "rendering" can mean a lot of things. What does Kickstarter mean?

To clarify, we mean photorealistic renderings of a product concept. Technical drawings, CAD designs, sketches, and other parts of the design process will continue to be allowed. Seeing the guts of the creative process is important. We love that stuff. However renderings that could be mistaken for finished products are prohibited.

So as long you don't have a professional 3D max rendering (*cough*Like Ouya*cough*), you should be clear. Hopefully that also helps mutata from earlier on this page

Eh, my project would rely on the pathos of showing a realistically rendered concept. The kind of people who are into designer products don't give a poo poo about CAD drawings, they want to see the shiny. Even Apple uses renders for their product shots; it's because that's what generates the emotional response in people that leads them to think "I need that even though it isn't necessary".

Again, I agree that something that is more of a DEVICE like that phone watch or the Ouya should have working prototypes to back it up, but for something that is a THING like a toy or case or drinking glass, it's just a stupid, arbitrary rule.

mutata fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 25, 2012

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I would just ask them. You have a unique case, and I think it's likely they'd make an exception. They seem pretty reasonable.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the point is to prevent people from giving the impression (intentionally or no) that their thing has actually been made by posting photorealistic renderings without indicating them as such. They want to prevent people from presenting something as a finished product that just needs money for production, when it's actually still in the conceptual phase and may not even actually work as a real product.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They might be fine if you plaster CONCEPT RENDER all over it in big letters. E-mail, explain, see what they say.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Shalinor posted:

It should be interesting to see what lawsuits come out of that site. Kickstarters are pretty well protected, but - if you're an actual investor? That is a very, very different thing.

... also, this isn't gaming, but some people are working on a thing to fix website Terms Of Service. Crowd sourced boiling down of TOSs into a paragraph plain english and a few ratings. It touches on gaming by virtue of how many games have giant EULAs/TOSs that no one ever reads - and as games are increasingly online, it opens the door to lots of data-sharing nastiness.

That's actually a really good idea, but that link doesn't work. Try this one http://www.indiegogo.com/terms-of-service-didnt-read.

Edit: Godamnit, thanks.
vvvvvvvvv

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 26, 2012

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Shorter Than Some posted:

That's actually a really good idea, but that link doesn't work. Try this one http://www.indiegogo.com/terms-of-service-didnt-read.

That doesn't work either, you left a period in the url.

Proper URL: http://www.indiegogo.com/terms-of-service-didnt-read

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Have any of you guys actually used an iControlPad 1? How does it feel? How's the build quality? I ask here because there's a Kickstarter for iControlPad 2, and it looks neato. I like the idea of having a controller I can attach to my phone so I can use it like a PSP Go that also works with almost everything else, but if it's uncomfortable, gently caress it. :v:

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
The creator of Unforgotten Realms is planning a Kickstarter to fund an RPG based on it, to go up late October/early November.

Robert Moran posted:

Unforgotten Quest. Up to 4 player massive side scroller RPG. Take super Mario Brothers, Diablo, and the humour from Unforgotten Realms. Oh right and did I mention a complete and moddable level editor that requires no programming background to use? Kickstarter next month.

I don't know how skilled he is technically, or if there's going to be a team involved or anything, but the show wasn't bad, so it could work out.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

mutata posted:

Eh, my project would rely on the pathos of showing a realistically rendered concept. The kind of people who are into designer products don't give a poo poo about CAD drawings, they want to see the shiny. Even Apple uses renders for their product shots; it's because that's what generates the emotional response in people that leads them to think "I need that even though it isn't necessary".

Again, I agree that something that is more of a DEVICE like that phone watch or the Ouya should have working prototypes to back it up, but for something that is a THING like a toy or case or drinking glass, it's just a stupid, arbitrary rule.

It just sounds like they don't want people to get confused that you have the ACUTAL PRODUCT in the render. You could put some text like -Computer Sketch of Concept- on the picture or something else that in no way could somebody mistake it as a product that phyiscally exists. I think you would be ok, but also add some pencil sketches in there as well to document 'the whole creative process'

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

ohnoitschris posted:

Have any of you guys actually used an iControlPad 1? How does it feel? How's the build quality?
The iControlPad is nice - the build quality is good, and the swing arm it uses to hold your phone works surprisingly well, but it's clearly a 1.0 product. The iControlPad 2 is very much worth your money if you feel like contributing.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

Shalinor posted:

That's a difficult one, as certain jurisdictions make you put certain things in your TOS, and if they mark people down for those, companies in those jurisdictions may get a lower mark for something they have no control over.

Also, marking someone down for indemnifying themselves against claims made against your content or your account? That's like marking someone down for having any legal advice whatsoever! If you don't indemnify your company from such things and you have user content, you won't have a company for very long.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Sooooooooo 3D Realms are trying to get funding for a new game via a kickstarter style site called Gambitious.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-25-3d-realms-returns-with-post-apocalyptic-fps-earth-no-more-on-new-crowdfunding-site-gambitious

"As for Gambitious, the major difference between it and established rival Kickstarter is its ability to buy equity to fund projects, in addition to the more straightforward donation model."

This is going to be hilarious.

I also found that site via the improbable 3D Realms thing, but the idea behind the site is interesting. I was just wondering how serious it actually is? Have they had any successful projects yet, and have any SA members registered? It feels a bit odd that they'd want to use social site logins to access their site, but maybe that's to get people actually contributing faster? If it does work and isn't sketchy, I could actually get behind this.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

That's awfully extrapolating from a few comments made on a comic in a heated debate. The comic is missing and comment thread kind of gone with it, so I can't really read the full extent of it, but from what just GayGamer has posted there...

What exactly is wrong with what he said? I mean, it's pretty dumb conversation, but it's kind of obvious he got kind of baited into it and the article kinda discourages boycotting his stuff, so... Uh, what is the issue besides he said something dumb? It doesn't strike me as particularly "hardcore".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

That's awfully extrapolating from a few comments made on a comic in a heated debate. The comic is missing and comment thread kind of gone with it, so I can't really read the full extent of it, but from what just GayGamer has posted there...

What exactly is wrong with what he said? I mean, it's pretty dumb conversation, but it's kind of obvious he got kind of baited into it and the article kinda discourages boycotting his stuff, so... Uh, what is the issue besides he said something dumb? It doesn't strike me as particularly "hardcore".

That's just one example, and I actually didn't know about it until I searched for his name yesterday. The one I remember was a blog post where he decryed Democrat rallies because it wasn't safe to take your kids there unlike Tea Party rallies or some horseshit. Like I said, I don't want to start a thing, but this is far from the only time he's gone on a rant like that.

And you really don't see something wrong with comparing gay marriage to a dude taking a poo poo in the ladies' room?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

evilmiera posted:

I also found that site via the improbable 3D Realms thing, but the idea behind the site is interesting. I was just wondering how serious it actually is? Have they had any successful projects yet, and have any SA members registered? It feels a bit odd that they'd want to use social site logins to access their site, but maybe that's to get people actually contributing faster? If it does work and isn't sketchy, I could actually get behind this.

On paper I really really like the concept behind Gambitious. Fans can chip in money towards development, investors get equity in the company. As Shalinor pointed out, it's going to be really interesting to see where investors stand from a legal point of view if things were to go pear shaped down the track.

Unknown Worlds used this exact model years ago while they were trying to source funding for Natural Selection 2. Fans paid for a preorder copy, and they had several anonymous investors inject a substantial amount of capital into the project as well.
They quite literally kickstarted a game before the term even existed, and are the perfect example of how a good relation with your fans can pay off when you really need it.

Who the gently caress knows how this will work out these days though. 3D Realms might be an interesting case study for the site either way as I don't see them ever getting funded by fans alone, but Broussard might be able to conscam just enough investors to fund it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

That's just one example, and I actually didn't know about it until I searched for his name yesterday. The one I remember was a blog post where he decryed Democrat rallies because it wasn't safe to take your kids there unlike Tea Party rallies or some horseshit. Like I said, I don't want to start a thing, but this is far from the only time he's gone on a rant like that.

And you really don't see something wrong with comparing gay marriage to a dude taking a poo poo in the ladies' room?

I agree with you guys 100% that this guy is a piece of poo poo. However I think that if you are a fan of any of his works it would be a great book to have on your coffee table and you might be missing out on a really cool piece of video game history.

Take Mel Gibson for example. These days he is a gigantic racist, homophobic, violent oval office of a human being with severe anger management issues that doesn't deserve to direct or act in a film ever again.
But does that change the fact that most of his old films are loving awesome? Mad Max, Lethal Weapon, Gallipoli, Payback, Ransom, Braveheart?

I know it's an absolutely piss-weak analogy, but you should back it if you want to own a book by the developer he once was and not the waste of air he currently is.
And come on.. Earthworm Jim was loving cool.