Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

I thought this was kinda sweet, y'know, in a weird way. The Thunderbolts are stranded in the far flung future of 2000AD WHO KNOWS WHEN and are having to lead an attack on MegaMondo-City One and all the Judges Bosses inside, killing a lot of them even though they've done no wrong. Even though technically once they go back and change the past, nothing they do in this time period will "matter", Troll is having trouble killing people.

(Don't worry, Moonstone catches her)

Dark Avengers 181

I was meaning to post this. What makes it great is that it vindicates Mr. Hyde being in the series. Thunderbolts is about redeeming the villains in various ways, although there are exceptions, like in Crossbones' case. Mr. Hyde's been in the comic for a decent while and although he doesn't appear to have much reason to turn on the team, he definitely isn't going to turn good any time soon. He's one of the bottom-of-the-barrel villains in the Marvel universe in the company of Crossbones, Bullseye and Carnage. Just a vile monster.

Yet in the series, there's been a subtle sense of there being more to him. He's stood up for Satana on occasion and more importantly, he has a bit of a relationship with Troll. He's amused by the feral kid and gets along with her to the point that he's become something of a big brother figure. The fact that he'd save her soul to stop it from being tainted like his is his one redeeming moment. He claims he's nothing but a killer and in that instance proves himself wrong.

Also, I'm wondering if Hyde's role in the series was meant to be Juggernaut before Parker found out that he was going to be taken off the board for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

I doubt they only had one photo of him but I would hate to think they picked the one with saliva oozing down his face.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

2000AD Prog 1467

Guy has gone vigilante and takes out a gang in several hits while the Judges try to figure why and where he'll strike next. He takes out all the gang members, then

^^click for the bigs

JD isn't all bad, he's just made that way :)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
That's very accurate; even in the early ones he was fairer/'softer' than other Judges. I distinctly remember one of the early stories; thanks to constant high unemployment, people tend to go kinda nuts with little to DO, so a guy goes a little crazy, goes on a spree.

Dredd's response at the end of it all? 20 years Hard Labour(To which the guy is very happy-that's WORK, dammit!). One of the other Judges specifically called him kinder/softer than most would be in that one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bloodly posted:

That's very accurate; even in the early ones he was fairer/'softer' than other Judges. I distinctly remember one of the early stories; thanks to constant high unemployment, people tend to go kinda nuts with little to DO, so a guy goes a little crazy, goes on a spree.

Dredd's response at the end of it all? 20 years Hard Labour(To which the guy is very happy-that's WORK, dammit!). One of the other Judges specifically called him kinder/softer than most would be in that one.

Then other time a kid tried to kill himself and Dredd charged him with loitering, Dredd saved him then changed him 90 days in the penal colony for being a public nuisance. Then another civilian tried to get the sentence lowered and she got charged first 2,000 credits then she talked back and got charged 4,000 for obstruction of justice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One that stuck with me was Dredd busting an old guy breaking into a cemetary to bury his dead wife. Guy is sent to trial, dead wife is dropped off at the recycling centre to be well.. yeah. Her naked corpse is soon to fall into the recycling machine, when Dredd calls a halt to it. He then pays for a cemetary plot for the old lady from his personal funds.

He still puts the guy in jail though for breaking and entering. :colbert:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
His mercy-killing (sorta) of former Chief Judge McGruder (prog 1009) was also a rare character moment for him. He's a horrible facist dick, but far from heartless regardless of what he'd like to think about himself.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Due to all this intrest in Dredd should I or someone else make a thread?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bobkatt013 posted:

I would read it. I've been interested in trying out Dredd but have no idea where to start.

Related to this thread though does anyone have the last couple pages of Hitman on hand? The derailed thread had me thinking about it and where Tommy tells Natt about his dream at the end always gets me.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

bobkatt013 posted:

The correct answer to "Should I make a thread" is always yes.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes please, the movie doesn't open here for another few weeks and I'm trying hard to avoid spoilers :(

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Nthing the favor to talk about the Pinstripe Freak! it'll be the thread with cred! (yeah!)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was going to post some pages from the new issue of FF but really the entire issue is worthy of this thread.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I was going to post some pages from the new issue of FF but really the entire issue is worthy of this thread.

For those of us who won't be picking this up, could you post a select few pages that you think are the best of the bunch?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Lose #1

The little onion lookin' guy is in hell at a bar populated by cartoon characters.

Duncan the Wonder Dog

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

bobkatt013 posted:

Insisting that it be called Judge Thredd.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Lose #1
The little onion lookin' guy is in hell at a bar populated by cartoon characters.
I feel like I should read this if only to find out why Bullwinkle's in Hell but Rocky isn't. Got any info on author(s)/artist(s)/publisher? The title alone is way too vague to Google.

ETA: Michael DeForge, okay.

Urban Space Cowboy fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 27, 2012

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
If it matters, you don't find out. You should read it anyway though.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Lose #1

Duncan the Wonder Dog

I'm... not entirely sure you've got a handle on the meaning of "touching and inspiring".

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

fatherdog posted:

I'm... not entirely sure you've got a handle on the meaning of "touching and inspiring".

They were touching panels.

Sad panels. Sad as hell. But they definitely made me feel something.

Seriously, what the gently caress was up with that Duncan the Wonder Dog comic? It's like if Tintin was super depressing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Duncan the Wonder Dog is the comic that asks "What if animals could talk? What if they could talk but we didn't care?"

It is heart-rending and everyone should read it.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Len posted:

I would read it. I've been interested in trying out Dredd but have no idea where to start.

Related to this thread though does anyone have the last couple pages of Hitman on hand? The derailed thread had me thinking about it and where Tommy tells Natt about his dream at the end always gets me.

I just happen to have this laying around. Ennis can be kind of a jackass most of the time, but when he's on, man, he's really on.

Hitman #60, spoilers for the end of Hitman, obviously.

http://i.imgur.com/MzJZr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fHZMm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ya8vO.jpg

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 27, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Network Pesci posted:

I just happen to have this laying around. Ennis can be kind of a jackass most of the time, but when he's on, man, he's really on.

Hitman #60, spoilers for the end of Hitman, obviously.

Thanks I really need to reread that series soon. It's loving fantastic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not mad or bothered or anything, but you should maybe consider linking those images, as even the thumbnails plainly spoil what happens. I don't really have any interest in reading that series now.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not mad or bothered or anything, but you should maybe consider linking those images, as even the thumbnails plainly spoil what happens. I don't really have any interest in reading that series now.

You really should anyway. It has some great moments, from Tommy giving Superman a pep talk to zombie penguins. It's Ennis going nuts without going too nuts like he did in Preacher.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ManiacClown posted:

You really should anyway. It has some great moments, from Tommy giving Superman a pep talk to zombie penguins. It's Ennis going nuts without going too nuts like he did in Preacher.

Yeah really. Knowing the last 3 pages out of context of the rest of the series really doesn't ruin too much.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, that's just crazy talk. There's a full 60+ issues of Amazing Comics that happen before that, including a shootout at the Gotham Aquarium against zombie aquatic beasts, one-sided teamups with Kyle Rayner, and a trip to Dinosaur times where the biggest dino-hombre of them all takes it out on the present day. The Hitman #1,000,000 issue is also one of the funniest things Ennis has ever done.

JLA/Hitman is the real ending, anyway. :colbert:

On a side note, any fan of Ennis who isn't reading Fury MAX, is missing out on his best work since Punisher MAX. It is so good.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 27, 2012

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

redbackground posted:

Pages from that could either be in here or the badass thread. I'm not entirely sure which.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

redbackground posted:

On a side note, any fan of Ennis who isn't reading Fury MAX, is missing out on his best work since Punisher MAX. It is so good.

A new Fury MAX or his old Fury MAX mini? Because the old one was pretty terrible and an example of his worst habits.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

A new Fury MAX or his old Fury MAX mini? Because the old one was pretty terrible and an example of his worst habits.
The new one, with great art by Goran Parlov, and detailing Fury's time in the early 60's. It is totally different than the earlier version.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Len posted:

Pages from that could either be in here or the badass thread. I'm not entirely sure which.

Hitman shoots a bunch of aliens, nothing especially badass about that. Those last few pages are perfect for here, though.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

redbackground posted:

Got my avatar out of JLA/Hitman.

Any time DC wants to put Garth Ennis on a sixty issue Superman run is fine by me.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

muscles like this? posted:

The new one is way better, it's about Fury reminiscing about the horrible things he's had to do over the decades of war (and drowning his sorrows in alcohol and hookers, naturally).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If anyone can post the backup story to Action Comics #13 (especially the last page) that would be great. It was really a great, touching story, especially for people who love dogs.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The whole drat comic, especially the ending of the first story, was classic Krypto stuff. But here's the backup. Action #13. In case you didn't know, Krypto wound up in the Phantom Zone before Krypton's destruction.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 4, 2012

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Magic Love Hose posted:

Any time DC wants to put Garth Ennis on a sixty issue Superman run is fine by me.

They already did, it was called The Boys, and it just wrapped up a couple days ago.

I don't understand why Ennis doesn't stick to police procedurals or hard-boiled detectives or Westerns or stuff that he doesn't hate writing. Out of all the Punisher stories ever written that had nothing to do with the Punisher, my favorite is "Brotherhood", which was took place in 616, not MAX. I guess the last few pages could even go in this topic, but I don't know if they'd make sense out of context. I swear I could hear "Amazing Grace" being played on bagpipes the last time I read that story. Anybody have it handy?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The whole drat comic, especially the ending of the first story, was classic Krypto stuff. But here's the backup. Action #13. In case you didn't know, Krypto wound up in the Phantom Zone before Krypton's destruction.

Goddamnit something's in my eye, and I have a dog I need to go hug.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Jiro posted:

That makes me need to have a dog I need to go hug.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

Jiro posted:

Man this really broke me down. I'm going to go hold my dog for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Just went and petted my dog for a solid half hour because of this comic, jesus christ I need to stop reading this thread