Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Haven't seen much vehicle stuff for campaign. Some of my favorite set pieces in previous games were centered around big sections of driving and gunning. If they do have vehicle sections, it'll be interesting to see how the Prometheans stand against my tank.

(Answer: they won't.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
There was also the Sentinel Beam

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Wonder if there will be Promethean vehicles, probably not.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I think I would have preferred Promo weapons to be nothing but power weapons then. A couple of new, interesting gun gimmicks. I just want a Halo game where I can shoot an army of orange Promo-bees at people, is that so much to ask for?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
An interesting article about the founder of Ensemble talking about Halo Wars. He talks about how Bungie was mad that Microsoft Ensemble was whoring out their franchise http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-09-26-tony-goodman-the-publisher-as-we-know-it-may-become-extinct

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Neo Helbeast posted:

An interesting article about the founder of Ensemble talking about Halo Wars. He talks about how Bungie was mad that Microsoft Ensemble was whoring out their franchise http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-09-26-tony-goodman-the-publisher-as-we-know-it-may-become-extinct

Honestly underneath all the community love I've always got the impression that Bungie could be massive dicks internally.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly underneath all the community love I've always got the impression that Bungie could be massive dicks internally.

Eh, theres something to be said for keeping a franchise of high quality infrequent releases instead of just churning out garbage. Hard to fault them for wanting to control how a thing they created was released.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If wanting to protect a thing you created from being ground into fine dust in the quest to produce money for Microsoft makes you a dick, then I'm glad Bungie are dicks.

There's people at Bungie who had spent literally a decade building Halo into a top tier franchise when Halo Wars came out, it gets hard to give people access to your stuff when you've invested that much of your life into it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

xzzy posted:

If wanting to protect a thing you created from being ground into fine dust in the quest to produce money for Microsoft makes you a dick, then I'm glad Bungie are dicks.

There's people at Bungie who had spent literally a decade building Halo into a top tier franchise when Halo Wars came out, it gets hard to give people access to your stuff when you've invested that much of your life into it.

I think it's a little unfair on Ensemble though, they had the IP forced onto them and we're just trying to work in a genre they felt passionate about. Bungie can be angry as Microsoft all they want, but they just sound like difficult people to work with when Ensemble was already in a difficult position.

"Yeah, that didn't create a great relationship between us and Bungie; they viewed us as someone infringing [on their franchise]."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I've been a Bungie fanboy since the mid 90's so I'm pretty much always going to assume they're in the right. :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The article implies that the attitude of the superiors who ordered it was that franchises and genres had no intrinsic value or inherent suitability for projects but existed only to be mashed together in combinations until someone would buy the result, so I don't blame Bungie for resenting it and I doubt it took long for Ensemble to become completely aware they were getting the short end of the stick.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 28, 2012

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Halo 4 has gone gold

https://twitter.com/HaloWaypoint/status/251494221415071745

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
What is a gun besides rate of fire, AOE, and damage anyways?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

PriorMarcus posted:

Yep. Halo Wars was far from "whoring", too bad we won't get a sequel :(

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Other than being terrible at RTS games, I thought Halo Wars was a cool entry into the series. Up until Reach we never really saw the UNSC or Spartans as a fighting force on the offensive.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

MickRaider posted:

What is a gun besides rate of fire, AOE, and damage anyways?
A miserable little pile of bullets?

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
A gun is determined by how many tactical rails you can slap on dat sum' bitch. In that regard halos human guns are lacking.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you at all; just pointing out the problem with an overly diverse sandbox. Still, if the Prometheans only used the bog-standard Halo arsenal they'd lose a lot of the "scary new enemy with scary new tech" thing. Kind of a bitch of a position for 343. The new monsters need new guns or they'd just feel like Covenant re-skins, but they don't want to make the new guns stupid over/underpowered gimmicks. The unfortunate solution is to make them high tech-looking versions of the same ol' poo poo which leads to the guns feeling like re-skins (with bonus new visual effects).

"I don't get it, it's just another shotgun."

"Yeah, a shotgun so powerful it DISINTEGRATES YOU!"

"This is the coolest new gun ever!"

To be fair, the Promethean shotgun does have the ricochet effect. I wouldn't be surprised if each of the Promo weapons had some feature like that, maybe with reduced firepower or something compared to the human/Covenant weapons to balance the extra functionality.

And, like MickRaider said, just change up the rate of fire, damage, and accuracy a bit and you end up with an entirely different gun anyway.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So it turns out Ragnorak (the Valhalla remake) has a mech on it. Not one that's being built, as scenery, like that other map, an actual pilotable vehicle.

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)
Even if the mech on valhalla is awesomely powerful and game breaking, someone will still get betrayed in the mad rush to grab the sniper rifle at the start of every game

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Funkmaster General posted:

So it turns out Ragnorak (the Valhalla remake) has a mech on it. Not one that's being built, as scenery, like that other map, an actual pilotable vehicle.

loving YES.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

I'm hoping it'll be like the forklift in Reach, which is still the best vehicle.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I don't know the Box Trucks in Reach were pretty great also.

They haven't said poo poo about vehicles to this point, Is that mech the only new one? Because they didn't put out any renders of a unsc flying thing to replace the falcon/hornet. I wanted Falconry 2.0 in Halo 4 :(

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Feels great to be finally done. The game is amazing, you won't be disappointed :)

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

-A n i m 8- posted:

Feels great to be finally done. The game is amazing, you won't be disappointed :)

Completely this.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

^^^ NDA eh?

-A n i m 8- posted:

We're looking forward to it :)

You'll have to tell us what parts you did when the NDA is dropped

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 28, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

-A n i m 8- posted:

Very much looking forward to playing this. It looks amazing.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

quote:

"Don't make a girl a promise you can't keep"

As much as I think this sounds incredibly stilted compared to the original, I loving love the idea that it was changed for no reason at all.

Agamembar
Jan 21, 2005

A USS Enterprise appears.
USS Enterprise uses 'Phaser Barrage'.
Its super effective.

kater posted:

As much as I think this sounds incredibly stilted compared to the original, I loving love the idea that it was changed for no reason at all.

I re-read through the thread again but can you explain what your talking about?

After recently buying halo: legends (i think its ok) that line is in 'the package' and I trying to remember what other readings there was on it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It's something Cortana says it one of the preview videos.

The original is basically the ending of Halo 2.

Agamembar
Jan 21, 2005

A USS Enterprise appears.
USS Enterprise uses 'Phaser Barrage'.
Its super effective.

kater posted:

It's something Cortana says it one of the preview videos.

The original is basically the ending of Halo 2.

Oh I see, I remember the halo 2 ending but I thought you were referring to some sort of retcon/redo they had done.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
If you watch three out of the four Presidential debates on Xbox Live you get this trill-rear end Halo avatar costume lol

http://rewards.xbox.com/get-yours/landing/election-2012

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Halo avatar costume
How generous of them.

(I'll be doing this)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Agamembar posted:

Oh I see, I remember the halo 2 ending but I thought you were referring to some sort of retcon/redo they had done.

Yeah that's what I meant. They changed it from "if you know you can't keep it" to "you can't keep". Or something, I don't remember which trailer it was in. I think the new one sounds pretty awkward in comparison, but it's not that big a deal. I just really, really like the idea that it was changed for no reason.

Also that cgi short in Legends was awful.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Turns out I was too slow on pre-ordering the Limited Edition from Amazon so I'll be buying each dlc like a scrub as they come out. Oh well, with my credit, I only paid $30 for the game so I'm still happy. Gonna miss not having that steelbook case though. I'm a sucker for those.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I like the audio. I how like everything looks, except the pastel armor.

http://www.giantbomb.com/343-talkin-mess-about-halo-4-multiplayer/17-6572/

And here is an hour of footage from campaign and multiplayer. Possible mild spoilers, I haven't sat through the whole thing yet.

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=your_halo_4_questions_answered20120927

BabyMauler fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 1, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

FPzero posted:

Turns out I was too slow on pre-ordering the Limited Edition from Amazon so I'll be buying each dlc like a scrub as they come out. Oh well, with my credit, I only paid $30 for the game so I'm still happy. Gonna miss not having that steelbook case though. I'm a sucker for those.

You can still buy the season pass thing instead of buying the DLC individually. You'll also get two bonus helmets for doing this that LE users don't get at all.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

FPzero posted:

I hadn't preordered yet either, thinking I had plenty of time because I have never ever seen a limited edition actually sell out for games I'm interested in. It isn't even listed on Amazon anymore, only the regular version. Does anyone have any idea if Amazon will get more limited editions in for preorder before launch?

Edit: I just checked Newegg, Walmart, and Gamestop's websites and non of them had the limited edition listed anymore. Was there some kind of cut off date for those or something? I can't believe it is so limited to actually be selling out everywhere.

Protip fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 1, 2012

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
It looks like walmart still has it to me:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Halo-4-Limited-Collector-s-Edition-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/20754045

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You can still buy the season pass thing instead of buying the DLC individually. You'll also get two bonus helmets for doing this that LE users don't get at all.

I'll probably just do this then. Is the pass available for pre-order too or is it something I grab on Day 1 with the release?

• Locked thread