Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Trin Tragula posted:

You're asked when you join the league if you support anyone. What they then do is go round your old high school association, and all the guys who white-hatted crews you worked on, and say "hey, is Steve a fan of any of our teams?" If for some mysterious reason the answer should differ from what you told them, they tell you to gently caress off. Assuming you're not a lying bastard, you don't work their games, or any games at the sharp end of the season that could directly affect how they finish.

I'd also like to think that the kind of guy who'd want to become an NFL official so he could screw over the Cowboys is the same kind of guy who wouldn't have the patience to spend 25 years calling high school and college ball before he got the chance; but then, Nature is always building faster, better idiots, so.

Honestly, if I were an official, I'd have to tell them to keep me the gently caress away from Pats games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

Honestly, if I were an official, I'd have to tell them to keep me the gently caress away from Pats games.

Yeah I was gonna say "does it include teams you want to gently caress over as well? I'd hope so"

Because if I were reffing a Titans game...

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
You don't have to gently caress over the Titans.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JesustheDarkLord posted:

You don't have to gently caress over the Titans.

:nattyburn:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Or you could work for the Big Ten and call games for the school you actually attended.

Or be legally blind too. They had one of those for a while.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Before the snap, why does a QB point out who the mike is? (At least, I assume that's what I'm hearing him do.) Isn't this already known? I mean, are the defensive players pointing out the tight end? Also, why is it important to identify him?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

dokmo posted:

Before the snap, why does a QB point out who the mike is? (At least, I assume that's what I'm hearing him do.) Isn't this already known? I mean, are the defensive players pointing out the tight end? Also, why is it important to identify him?

Its more about pointing out who is going to bliyz and other such assignments. They may be pointing out who the FB/RB should block. And yes, defensive players always try to identify the eligible receivers, as well as the particularly dangerous players that you want to be able to double team.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

dokmo posted:

They don't always point to the actual mike. Here's a good video explaining how the mike calls change protections. It changes against different kinds of fronts, but that's the basic idea for identifying the mike in pass protection.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm considering getting a gamecentre pass for this season. Is it possible/plausible to get into the OnDemand condensed games through the website/android app without having the results spoiled?

I'm in Australia, so being spoiled through other media isn't an issue, I'm just wondering if there is a way to navigate to game replays in a spoiler-free way.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

I'm considering getting a gamecentre pass for this season. Is it possible/plausible to get into the OnDemand condensed games through the website/android app without having the results spoiled?

I'm in Australia, so being spoiled through other media isn't an issue, I'm just wondering if there is a way to navigate to game replays in a spoiler-free way.

Yeah, you can turn the scores off so they don't show up when browsing.

But come on, you should be waking up at 3 AM like I do. ;)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

dokmo posted:

Along this line, do those calls at the line go in fashions? I swear the pre-snap-count call that everyone did always used to be "1 high" "2 high" "3 high", identifying the coverage shell; now they're shouting who the Mike is. In five years is it going to change again to something like "corners loose/corners tight"?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
In college ball, how come, when they show who's playing who, some teams are ranked and others aren't? Is it a bowl thing?

I've noticed Welker does this little stutter/head wobble thing whenever he takes off from the line. Is it just a peculiarity, or is there some benefit for him? I don't really seem to notice other receivers doing it, or at least not as noticeably as he does.

Lastly, I'd like to check out some earlier pro games, like 50s and 60s era stuff. Any suggestions for good ones to look out for? And also, where to find them? NFL's shop site doesn't seem to have anything quite like that. Closest would be the SB collections.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Detective Thompson posted:

In college ball, how come, when they show who's playing who, some teams are ranked and others aren't? Is it a bowl thing?

The associated press ranks the top 25 teams every week. If the team makes the list, they're "ranked". If they don't, they don't get a little number next to their name.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Here is an example of a ranked team: The Northwestern Wildcats are considered by the AP to be the 24th best team in the country because they haven't lost a game yet and they own a whole lot.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
And there isn't much value in asserting so-and-so is the 47th best team in the country, so they stop at 25. It's a good line to say, this team's ranked, this team isn't, and actually have it mean something.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Plus once you get beyond the top 25 everybody's polls start becoming drastically different.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Cole posted:

Plus once you get beyond the top 25 everybody's polls start becoming drastically different.

Plus plus I believe on a more pragmatic level, the voting process is just to vote for the top 25 so there's no "26th" in the polls. You will sometimes see a little note at the bottom of the rankings that says

"Others Receiving votes: Eastern Slobberknocker U 2, Butts St 1"

which means someone thought they deserved a Top 25 spot and gave them a vote but didn't have enough overall support to crack the list. You get 25 points for a first place vote, 24 for second, etc and the schools with the most points get on the list.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 2, 2012

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Condensed replays are the best thing ever, I can watch 5 games in the time it would have taken me to watch 1, without having to fiddle with buffering or missing plays from scrubbing. Gamepass was definitely worth my money.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Trin Tragula posted:

Along this line, do those calls at the line go in fashions? I swear the pre-snap-count call that everyone did always used to be "1 high" "2 high" "3 high", identifying the coverage shell; now they're shouting who the Mike is. In five years is it going to change again to something like "corners loose/corners tight"?

The mike always has to be established and the QB is always the one to make this call, so it probably won't be disappearing from the pre-snap calls any time soon. The center will usually call the defensive front depending on techniques of the defensive line, how many backers there are and which linemen they cover. This provides for the basis of blocking and protection schemes pre-snap along with the mike designation. The mike can change based on gameplan, so things like down and distance, defensive front, personnel groups, alignments all influence who the QB might designate as the mike so it has to be done on a snap by snap basis.

Most offenses will have the QB and eligible receivers read safety alignment at the line and make their route adjustments individually. Situations like corners loose or tight are similar. The QB and receivers will make their individual reads based on the coverage shell and alignment of defenders inside/head-up/outside of them. Most of these reads don't change as fluidly as the mike does so there isnt the need to add them to the pre-snap routine.

There are pre-snap calls for certain situations when a defender might be misaligned and/or a receiver is uncovered. In this case the QB will make a code call which tells the center to snap the ball on the next sound, sets a default protection for the line and the receivers to run route combos based on their formation and who the uncovered man is.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

McKracken posted:

The mike always has to be established and the QB is always the one to make this call, so it probably won't be disappearing from the pre-snap calls any time soon.

I mean, I'm coming at this from the perspective of there's one team I officiate with a couple of ex-NFL Europe coaches, and they have good connections that mean they're often adapting NFL things down to their own level; and they've only been having the QB call the Mike out loud while under center this season just gone. If it's that important to know who it is, how did they identify him before? Why have they changed to having the QB shout it from under center? Why did they use to put emphasis on shouting the coverage shell, and now leave it to individuals?

(Maybe this is moving a bit away from 'rookie questions'...)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

It depends on a combination of things who/what is shouted out. Playing against Pittsburgh and the 46, you are going to call out Troy/SS. Playing against a base 4-3, its typically the Mike, or if the SS has crept into the box. Another kind of 3-4 and its probably the OLB.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Trin Tragula posted:

I mean, I'm coming at this from the perspective of there's one team I officiate with a couple of ex-NFL Europe coaches, and they have good connections that mean they're often adapting NFL things down to their own level; and they've only been having the QB call the Mike out loud while under center this season just gone. If it's that important to know who it is, how did they identify him before? Why have they changed to having the QB shout it from under center? Why did they use to put emphasis on shouting the coverage shell, and now leave it to individuals?

(Maybe this is moving a bit away from 'rookie questions'...)

Since I've been involved in the game I've never known of a team that didn't identify the mike from high school up through the pros.

It is likely they had a weird and inefficient way of signaling the mike, either by including certain codes in the cadence or having it as more of a fixed determination pre-game according to their gameplan. This would be an imprecise and sloppy way of doing it, but I suppose it's possible.

Pre-snap signals and cadence rules need to be as streamlined as possible. If these coaches finally picked up on the better way to ID the mike, they made what would be a good decision to cut the shell signaling. You really only want the QB calling out the most important information in the most succinct manner. Adding extra verbiage to identify a read that the players should be able to make on their own clutters things up and needlessly increases the amount of time the QB needs to dedicate to calling out signals.

The mike call is essential because the QB, line and all possible pass pro (TE/RB) players need to know what players on the defense are the 5 men that will be blocked by the 5 offensive linemen. Everyone needs to be on the same page on every single snap and this has to be decided before the ball is snapped.

The pre-snap coverage shell is fairly easily ID'd by the QB, but it doesn't definitively dictate his progressions or where he will go with the ball. If the receivers are running choice and option routes their adjustments are often dependent on the defender covering them or the action of the nearest zone player(s) to their targeted area. This is done on the fly and the adjustments to various looks are repped like crazy in practice so the QB knows exactly where a receiver will break based on defensive movement from pre to post snap. The QB might read cover 2 in pre-snap, but would make entirely different throws based on the SS staying back or rolling up to the flats. It's much less important to make coverage signals in pre-snap because the route adjustments are more fluid than the pass protection and the reads are more individualized.

quote:

It depends on a combination of things who/what is shouted out. Playing against Pittsburgh and the 46, you are going to call out Troy/SS. Playing against a base 4-3, its typically the Mike, or if the SS has crept into the box. Another kind of 3-4 and its probably the OLB.

Teams definitely want to identify where guys like Polamalu are lined up, but those would be calls in addition to the mike call, or sometimes a double mike call.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Thing I have always wondered, what is the strategy behind "Icing the kicker?"

I imagine the idea is to let him build up his nerves, let him get to the point right before he kicks, when his anxiety is at its peak, and then make him wait a few more minutes in the hope he crumbles under the pressure. Is there something else I am missing?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Thing I have always wondered, what is the strategy behind "Icing the kicker?"

I imagine the idea is to let him build up his nerves, let him get to the point right before he kicks, when his anxiety is at its peak, and then make him wait a few more minutes in the hope he crumbles under the pressure. Is there something else I am missing?

Nail on the head. Basically they are trying to get into the kickers head.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

drunk leprechaun posted:

Nail on the head. Basically they are trying to get into the kickers head.

Also it fails. Although the data is limited, so far it appears to have the opposite affect.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

swickles posted:

Also it fails. Although the data is limited, so far it appears to have the opposite affect.

Football coaches are stupid. The data on punting is shocking really.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

swickles posted:

Unless it's Matt Stover

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Why are there not many kicker/punter hybrids? I know that the mechanics behind punting and kicking are different, but it seems to me like one could be good at both. Is it just that it increases injury risk if you're kicking twice as much?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

In Canada the roster rules are different and it's relatively common to see kicker/punters. I remember a few years back the Falcons tried to do both with Michael Koenen and all they achieved was absolutely tanking his field goal accuracy.

Practicality concerns: you can't rep kicker/punter/snapper on field goals as a self-contained unit, you have to find someone else to hold; and with a kicker and punter they can practice kickoffs and punts at the same time - the K/P has to do them seperately and gets less time repping each.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I also imagine they are very different skills despite both being kicking. Seems punters need a strong leg while kickers need control. Kind of like TEs and WRs both catching the ball but in very different situations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
A punter also has to receive the snap a couple of times a game without ever loving it up and I guess a kicker could have his hands amputated and still be somewhat ok.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I also imagine they are very different skills despite both being kicking. Seems punters need a strong leg while kickers need control. Kind of like TEs and WRs both catching the ball but in very different situations.

They are somewhat different patterns of movement, but you definitely need a strong leg as a kicker.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Is there a reason the NFL only seems to schedule games on thursday, sunday and monday? In all the Australian football codes there are games on friday night, saturday, saturday night, sunday and sunday evening.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Fridays are reserved for high school football and Saturdays for college, by tradition/gentleman agreement.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Is there a reason the NFL only seems to schedule games on thursday, sunday and monday? In all the Australian football codes there are games on friday night, saturday, saturday night, sunday and sunday evening.

Yeah traditionally Friday nights is for HS, Saturday is for college, and Sunday is for the pro game. Also the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 had caluses in it to protect HS and NCAA game attendance. The following is from Wikipedia:

" It also, in effect, protects high school football and college football game attendance by blacking out pro football games locally on Friday evenings and Saturdays during those sports' regular seasons; these measures effectively outlawed the broadcasting (and, in practice, the playing) of NFL games on those days, since virtually all of the country is within 75 miles of at least one high school game on every Friday night in September and October. This portion of the act has since been partially circumvented; the NFL extended its season in 1978 to allow several weeks of Friday night or Saturday games if the league so wished. Friday night games are still extremely rare (the NFL only plays on Friday nights if Christmas Day lands on Friday), but late-season Saturday games have been common since that time."

So that is why the NFL can broadcast on Thurs night when there is a college game on since it isn't a protected night.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah, the only time there are Saturday games is in the post-season, and occasionally the last week of the season, when college is over.

The NCAA won't play games on Sunday, even though I guess they technically could. This past year, the traditional New Years Day bowl games were all moved to Jan 2nd, because Jan 1st was on a Sunday. The Rose and Sugar bowl were played on a Monday, which pissed a lot of people off because they had to work and couldn't watch the Rose Bowl.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. Over here college sports aren't spectated at all and high school teams generally play on friday afternoons.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. Over here college sports aren't spectated at all and high school teams generally play on friday afternoons.

Yeah, again, this goes back to the fact that football was a college only sport for a while before the pro game came up and had any weight. Even now, the attendance of college games is way more than NFL. Of course there are way more teams.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This is college football in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
And the look he gives in the end is just the best.

• Locked thread