Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Hangul is Japanese done right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Bocc Kob posted:

English is riddled with wacky spellings, pronunciations, and grammar rules. Even adult native speakers struggle with using apostrophes and how "your/you're", "two/to/too", or "they're/their/there" works. Then you have random stuff like mouse becoming mice, but moose stays moose, while bird becomes birds. Loose/lose, chose/choose, desert/dessert, and so on. These are just the first dumb obvious examples I can think of. English sucks. :argh:

Well, that's just syntax, and I can't help you there. There is actually a reason for all of those, but hell if I know. As for apostrophes, its really carelessness, and not so much that these people are truly confused when they see "you're" come up and how to use it.

But really, English isn't as hosed up as people like to make it out to be. Some of the strangeness comes from different languages influence (oh to be a Germanic language that's been shaped by Latin, French, and other Romance languages), and some of the weirder grammatical rules actually aren't grammatical rules at all but just poo poo that your teacher came up with because some of the stupid poo poo that arose during the era when people were trying to foolishly make English appear more like Latin JUST WON'T DIE! And then some of the strangeness just comes from the fact that it is a really old language that's gone some revisions, and so things haven't remained constant. But it's the way it is, and it ain't changing soon (and anyone who tries to get me to spell the "dhe" will die a slow, painful death).

For instance, you can split infinitives, end sentences on prepositions, start with the word "and," and a whole bunch of other things you've been told not to do.

Also, the Oxford comma rules, and that's all the discussion I want on THAT subject.

Edit: Also, writing in and of itself should not be compared to the spoken language, since they are two very different parts of the same thing: the vocabulary of a language. Written language is meant to convey meaning, which helps with words that are closely related by have different pronunciation. Also, it can help prevent false correlations from being drawn.

Take for instance "farm" and "pharmacy." If spelling was based entirely on pronunciation, we would have "farm" and "farmasie," which would destroy your ability to parse what "pharmacy" is related to if you did not know the meaning, since you could reasonably say "Oh, it has something to do with a farm" under spelling reform.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 29, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, the Oxford comma rules, and that's all the discussion I want on THAT subject.

gently caress commas and the rampant overuse of them that English teachers insist on.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Cemetry Gator posted:

As for apostrophes, its really carelessness,
Should be it's for it is, sorry

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

PosSibley posted:

Should be it's for it is, sorry

drat you college! I've been trained to never use "it's," so I tend to make that mistake. I make that one a lot.

Random Stranger posted:

gently caress commas and the rampant overuse of them that English teachers insist on.

Hey man, commas are important. It's the difference between "Let's eat grandma," and "let's, eat grandma!"

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hey man, commas are important. It's the difference between "Let's eat grandma," and "let's, eat grandma!"

:goonsay: I think you meant "let's eat, grandma".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Who said they weren't? My problem is that English teachers tend to turn "You can use a comma here," to "You must use a comma here." They lose the nuance of comma use and as a result commas wind up peppered into sentences like cilantro at a Californian fusion restaurant.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011
If you arent spelling Shavian English, why even bother? Spelling didnt work before, but we can give it a shot! I mean, isnt this SO EASY to read!?

Shaw hated apostrophes, too.

Random Stranger posted:

Who said they weren't? My problem is that English teachers tend to turn "You can use a comma here," to "You must use a comma here." They lose the nuance of comma use and as a result commas wind up peppered into sentences like cilantro at a Californian fusion restaurant.

Commas would probably be more fun if they were always taught by a Marx brothers fan, like they were taught to me.

Edit: This thread goes off-topic on the most random things.

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 29, 2012

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Mister Chief posted:

Hangul is Japanese done right.

Yeah after years spent on Japanese and learning and forgetting kanji, Hangul is a loving dream to understand and work with. It just makes sense.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
As someone that spent most of his years learning English on his own as a native French Speaker, I can attest that English is one hell of a weird language. French's hard -- but at least it's mostly internally consistent, except for a few parts where the people in Paris at the French Academy decides what French is and what French is not for the rest of us. They like to keep random 'G's and 'p's in words that are completely silent for 'legacy value'. Or something or another.

Considering that about a fourth of the words in English ARE from French, it also helped my case a lot. I still have a lot of problem on how sentences work out, sometimes.

I can't imagine how hard it must be for someone that speaks Japanese as a first language to learn English, as it not even remotely related to English to begin with. I know I'd have one heck of a problem to LEARN Japanese to a fluent level.

Speaking of which: I always wondered why I keep seeing French words in Japanese-made things, sometimes to hilarious effect. Is that like German and English, because it sounds absolutely cool to have a word in a different language when you name things?

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 29, 2012

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Foreign words sound cool. *gets a shoulder tattoo of a symbol that means fart in japanese*

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cosmic Afro posted:

They like to keep random 'G's and 'p's in works that are completely silent for 'legacy value'. Or something or another.

Thank you.

Now I finally know who to kick in the dick for my bad french grades. As a german, english was fairly easy to learn, but gently caress french. I had huge problems with that.

I saw a Tattoo in the US once. It said "Scheiße" (poo poo).

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 29, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

French is dumb. Why do I need to know the sex of words? Why?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

I agree with you, but not because of the word gender poo poo that Romance language love.

French is dumb because in the future, the French language won't exist. Sci-fi has predicted it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Random Stranger posted:

I guess I shouldn't even bring up the case of semicolons; after all, it might cause a riot.

EDIT: That said, I think the Oxford Comma is the best way to go about things; it feels like a more readable solution. Foo, bar, and baz makes it clear that bar and baz are separate items. Foo, bar and baz makes it look like there's a stronger connection between bar and baz than between anything else and foo.

Neito fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 29, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hymirvetr posted:

I saw a Tattoo in the US once. It said "Scheiße" (poo poo).
poo poo, he probably knows what it means. There are tons of classy assholes in America who get vanity license plates for their cars that read stuff like "FKNHARD" or "AZZLORD" and what have you.

Mister Chief posted:

Gender's not that hard, is it? I mean, a lot of sexless nouns have a weird arbitrary gender that isn't loving commutative between other Latin-base languages, but thanks to the years I spent taking Japanese as a bratty weabo teenager, well, me and arbitrary, we coo'.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The White Dragon posted:

poo poo, he probably knows what it means. There are tons of classy assholes in America who get vanity license plates for their cars that read stuff like "FKNHARD" or "AZZLORD" and what have you.

Gender's not that hard, is it? I mean, a lot of sexless nouns have a weird arbitrary gender that isn't loving commutative between other Latin-base languages, but thanks to the years I spent taking Japanese as a bratty weabo teenager, well, me and arbitrary, we coo'.

I think it's more that English and a lot of other languages have no genders, so having to think of something like a chair as feminine just seems.... off.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Neito posted:

I think it's more that English and a lot of other languages have no genders, so having to think of something like a chair as feminine just seems.... off.

What color is the chair? Does it have any frilly things hanging off it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gutcruncher posted:

What color is the chair? Does it have any frilly things hanging off it?

Hey now, profiling like that is so 1990. That's a bad indicator of a chair's gender in our progressive age, get with the times dude :colbert:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Cemetry Gator posted:

drat you college! I've been trained to never use "it's," so I tend to make that mistake. I make that one a lot.

If you have a hard time remembering when to use "it's," please watch this video:
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail89.html

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Plus, the chair might be on the gender spectrum. Don't get your Gender Binary bullshit in here.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Word genders like in how Japanese different genders use different versions of words or word genders as in the words themselves have a gender? :psyduck:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

Word genders like in how Japanese different genders use different versions of words or word genders as in the words themselves have a gender? :psyduck:

The words themselves have genders. For example, (spanish) la mesa (table) is feminine, but el camino (road) is masculine.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Languages are weird with dumb, arbitrary rules is what we're all getting at here.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 29, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
My copy of the RGM boxset came in and it's just as awesome as I imagined it being. It's just so wierd seeing everything encoded from a profesional source as opposed to off of a TV and then re-encoded with subs.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Everyone here should just take an Intro to Linguistics course, it explains 90% of the topics we're covering.

Neito posted:

The words themselves have genders. For example, (spanish) la mesa (table) is feminine, but el camino (road) is masculine.

Grammatical gender is a type of division linguists call a noun class. Gendering is pretty common among Indo-European languages and is basically arbitrary except when referring to things that actually have genders, like humans. Other noun class systems are less arbitrary, like how Navajo noun classes mark shape.

English did have genders long, long ago, and the word "the" originally marked the neuter. It got lost during the 1300s along with declensions and most inflection.

EDIT:

Crotch Bat posted:

Languages are weird with dumb, arbitrary rules is what we're all getting at here.
Pretty much, yes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gyre posted:

English did have genders long, long ago, and the word "the" originally marked the neuter. It got lost during the 1300s along with declensions and most inflection.

Look, we were busy shifting our vowels. You can't expect us to keep track of genders at the same time.

For what it's worth, my plan is to have a new episode released in about fifteen hours. This one is a bit tricky on the timing side of things with a lot of subtle overlays, though. That could slow me down.

It really is one of my favorite episodes that hadn't been translated yet (top three, definitely) and it's a game that is almost certain to start its own share of derails.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Neito posted:

Foo, bar and baz makes it look like there's a stronger connection between bar and baz than between anything else and foo.

Well, Lake and Palmer ARE the rhythm section.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
I've finally run out of subbed episodes to watch and I'm trying to track down a couple of episodes I'm missing that have apparently been translated (according to the OP).

I tracked down most of them but does anyone have a link to a torrent or direct download (not depositfiles) for episode 58?

Enjoy a Berry
Apr 21, 2012
I ran into arino at awa

does he post here? I feel like his picture got posted last year too :yoshi:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Enjoy a Berry posted:

I ran into arino at awa

We've had his picture come up in the thread a few times and no one has claimed to be him. I'm simply going to assume that he's just a guy with good taste.

Taratang posted:

I've finally run out of subbed episodes to watch and I'm trying to track down a couple of episodes I'm missing that have apparently been translated (according to the OP).

I tracked down most of them but does anyone have a link to a torrent or direct download (not depositfiles) for episode 58?

I've needed to replace that one for a while but I'm afraid my upstream bandwidth is all tied up at the moment and probably will be until the next release is properly seeded. I'll take care of it after all that is wrapped up.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Taratang posted:

I went and put it up on Alluvion. Hopefully RS won't mind. :ohdear:

Game Center CX - Season 8 - 058 - Masked Ninja Hanamaru (Yo! Noid)
Download torrent81 (1 file; 498.07 MB)
View torrent stats

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nill posted:

Game Center CX - Season 8 - 058 - Masked Ninja Hanamaru (Yo! Noid)
Download torrent81 (1 file; 498.07 MB)
View torrent stats

I have no objections. Thanks for pitching in.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Nill posted:

That was fast, thank you!

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
English does have a couple gendered nouns, though they're mostly remnants of tradition. (Such as referring to boats/military vessels as feminine, "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by") Point is, articles don't change, and for that I'm eternally grateful. High school was hell trying to figure out if a particular "der" was the nominative masculine, dative feminine, or genitive feminine.

And then I studied Japanese and entered a whole new world of pain, trying to remember which shapes are counted with which suffixes. And that -tsu uses entirely different numbers than -satsu or -hon or -mai or the like.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Japanese counters aren't that different from English.

There are more of them in Japanese but we do say stuff like 'x sheets of paper', 'x pairs of shoes', 'x bottles/cups of water', etc.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm going to get whoever decided to make the last three minutes of this episode so text heavy.

I suppose it could be worse. I could be working on the episode Gutcruncher is timing...

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Nice to meet you at the PRGE today, zari-gani! I want a Wagyan shirt so bad :(

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Enjoy a Berry posted:

I ran into arino at awa

I've looked all over for that guy while I've been down in Atlanta and I haven't seen him once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Taratang posted:

That was fast, thank you!

In the same "I've missed some episodes" lieu, I haven't kept up with this thread since March, went on Alluvion and downloaded every torrent up to the ones I already had. Did I miss anything or are all the uploads on there?

(I did keep up with all the DVD business and zari-gani getting all that awesome swag, just talking about episodes.)