Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Had my first orange gun drop today out in the Dust while on that Bane gun quest.

Not sure what the flavor text is all about, as you can see I need to level up again to even use it.

Not bad for 25 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bob NewSCART posted:

Also the only oranges I've seen are a shield that shoots corrosive homing spikes, and the bee shield(which is ridiculous)

The Bee and Conference Call on Salvador is seriously the most amazingly broken thing ever right now. Like you can go to any boss, virtually any at all and that sucker's going to die within a few seconds.

So far my only Orange weapon so far came from lucking out with Moxxi's slot machines, some sniper rifle with red Man Killer text.

Also speaking of Goliaths, two corrosive Goliaths fighting is hilarious, they just stand there and vomit on each other, for eternity.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Good lord this is a lengthy game. I thought the bunker was the end but apparently not!

Also holy poo poo FMV Lilith :stare:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
If you've got a skill at 5/5, do class mods giving a plus to that skill add anything?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Yes. They bring it up beyond the max and add to the bonuses you get.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GreatGreen posted:

I think the traditional loot idea is that low levels - white, mid levels - blues and greens, max levels - phat purps and oranges.

But it doesn't work like that in Borderlands 2. Every level has every tier of loot, and all of it is technically viable at its equivalent level. You don't absolutely need purple and above loot to get through the game, it just helps make things a bit easier, or they help provide one or two unique boosts to give you something to sculpt your characters around. They're not intended to be absolutely necessary to complete the game.

In some games, yes purples are required and thus more reliably doled out. In Borderlands 2, apparently that's not the case.

I loathe games doing the "color goes up with level" poo poo because it ruins the entire point of those tiers to begin with. White should always be "basic" with green being "above average" then blue as "good", purple is "great, lasts for awhile" and gold is "gently caress yes, using this for a long time".

Instead of "oh ok I'll replace this purple in two levels with another purple" which is how a lot of games (especially MMOs) are being setup.

All of my weapons for the majority of the game were white-green, with the occasional blue or purple/pink that I'd ditch because the gimmicks got old. Even my class mods were all white and green. My best weapon for the last boss was a high RoF sniper rifle that was around 1270 damage because I could consistently crit with it vs spray and pray of ARs and SMGs.

We got plenty of blue drops (often stuff we didn't feel like using) and a fair amount of purples. It's not throwing oranges at us like Torchlight but it's more than I'd get in a run through of Diablo 2 as far as random drops go. Hell we'd get blues/purples from breaking open the poo poo/debris piles a few times.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there an extensive tweak guide somewhere?

Like, is there a way to show hidden stats on items?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 30, 2012

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you've got a skill at 5/5, do class mods giving a plus to that skill add anything?

We really need to get an FAQ into the OP somewhere. Seems like it gets asked every 2 pages.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Hey PC Master Race guys. Internet scuttlebutt proposes that the Vault Hunter Relic is nonfunctional and the game never checks that +5% rare drop value at all. Is this actually true?
So I just investigated the Vault Hunter Relic data.

It modifies two attributes:

GD_Balance.Weighting.GearDrops_RareWeightModifier: +0.05
GD_Balance.Weighting.GearDrops_CommonWeightModifier: -0.06

Let's set them to +100.00 and -100.00! :allears:

Net result: I have not seen a single white weapon drop, greens drop, seen a few blues. Nothing else.

So, what I can gauge from this, is that it shifts a 5% of your chance for whites into non-whites. Doesn't touch anything else. Very low impact, perhaps bordering on useless.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Air Julio posted:

We really need to get an FAQ into the OP somewhere. Seems like it gets asked every 2 pages.

Strange that it didn't get asked very much in the borderlands 1 thread, but in borderlands 2, where it actually shows the bonus being applied, people are confused about it.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Thanks gibbed you're the pc king of my heart.

Now I can dump that hunk of crap and put on a relic worth using.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

gibbed posted:

Net result: I have not seen a single white weapon drop, greens drop, seen a few blues. Nothing else.

So, what I can gauge from this, is that it shifts a 5% of your chance for whites into non-whites. Doesn't touch anything else. Very low impact, perhaps bordering on useless.

So, in other words, weapon editor? =D=D=D=D

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

I don't know who exactly was going around saying "Purples are absolutely required to beat the game because they are the best and oranges are too rare!!!" but that sure sounds like what you're trying to prevent people from saying, even though nobody is saying it. I've never found a single item in a store that was better than what I already had (and that's still not changed from the first game) but does it mean the stores will always have lovely stuff in them? No, but it does mean that my stuff is all better, even if it's not all purple.

I will say this:

99% of the time, stores have lovely stuff in them. One time I found a pretty sweet-rear end machinegun that was in the "deal of the day" section, but generally stores sell junk nobody would want.

Vendors should have moderately better equipment. Let the fools pay 300% markups for their precious blues!

XarsonX
Oct 24, 2003

Phage love

gibbed posted:

This is hilarious.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Operant posted:

This game actually probably one of the better games I've played in years, just completed my first runthrough. It's everything that Diablo III should have been. The difficulty ramps up pretty hard but not enough to be frustrating, it has great writing, it's humorous, surprisingly dark and impactful at times, colorful, and a blast to play with friends.

After I killed the warrior I let Jack ramble on about how he was supposed to win while casually walking around picking up look, then came back just as he said I AM THE HERO and punched him in the face.

I know you guys did EXACTLY the same

Also, did any of you guys complete the Lost Treasure quest that takes you to Caustic Caverns? I got a gun from there that was an e-tech Dahl pistol that... didn't appear to shoot anything, but did massive ammounts of corrosion damage and could literally never miss.

That Dahlminator pistol is SO GOOD. If you look closely, it shoots out tiny little white projectiles that leave trails. They evidently ricochet in addition to being homing rounds. I enjoyed using that in combination with a slag SMG: butter up loaders with the SMG, then fire the pistol as fast as possible. Screw you, PWR loaders.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic Pitchford said he is going to release another code in about 20 minutes (2pm CDT)

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

gibbed posted:

Since you know a lot more about this kind of stuff than I do, is there any way to change or modify the drop chances of poo poo? Like would there be a way to make everything drop be purple or be orange? Or is that all hard coded into the game

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shift isn't loading...

also:

KJ5TB-FKZXH-FB3JJ-TBJB3-6H5BH

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Shift isn't loading...

also:

Yeah, my friend must have tried to log in as soon as the key dropped and got it. I seriously started the game one minute later and the server was already getting hammered or whatever, still can't connect in-game or on the website.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Telling me the code can't be redeemed. Is it just a flat limited use and once global hits are used the rest of us are out of luck? :smith:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I got credit for the key, but then when I tried to inform goons in the steam group steam locked and that caused bl2 to lock up and now I dunno if I got credit or what because it's being hammered.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's good for 2 hours from now, but the servers are being bent over and having nonconsentual sex with millions of people. Should have known better on a sunday.

Jun 29, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Shift isn't loading...

also:

Yup, same problem on this end. Guess the service really does need all this testing.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Telling me the code can't be redeemed. Is it just a flat limited use and once global hits are used the rest of us are out of luck? :smith:

Nah, this is just like the other recent codes, unlimited for an hour or two.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I started up the second playthrough last night with my regular group and I have to ask: is it supposed to be such a kick in the teeth? It's way harder than we were expecting.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just got into shift, tried the key once and it said that, but it worked after I tried it again

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009

gibbed posted:

gibbed...thank you so much for freeing up my relic slot

Also, another broken Shift user reporting in. I can't even connect try to redeem the code because it's stuck at authenticating.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Just give it some time, SHiFT is hammered and I was able to redeem the new code after a few tries.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yeah, it had trouble connecting at first but it only took a couple tries for me, too.

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009

gibbed posted:

Just give it some time, SHiFT is hammered and I was able to redeem the new code after a few tries.

Yeah, it seems I spoke too soon. I was just able to redeem it, and so was another friend of mine who was waiting for it to stabilize.

I'm glad they're getting this testing out of the way now; I'd hate to see this happen if they did another one of those 1,000 redemption codes.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Do they release the PC/Xbox/PS3 codes all at the same time? Seems silly if they do. Spread em out.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Did they patch out the ability to give youself the pre-order bonuses by editing an INI file? I'd like to take some friends through the creature slaughter dome.

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009

Saltin posted:

Do they release the PC/Xbox/PS3 codes all at the same time? Seems silly if they do. Spread em out.

Pitchford tweets all three at once, so I have to double check to make sure I'm copying the right one. I'll be interested to see if they split up the Twitter and Facebook codes, though.

Gangringo posted:

Did they patch out the ability to give youself the pre-order bonuses by editing an INI file? I'd like to take some friends through the creature slaughter dome.

Yeah, that was patched out.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Gangringo posted:

Would also like to know this.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

If I have the creature slaughter dome can I bring others who don't have it in there?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Regarding the drop rate debacle, reminder that this dropped off of a frozen statue in The Fridge. Yeah, the kind that usually drop cash and ammo. When something is random, it is random.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Gangringo posted:

If I have the creature slaughter dome can I bring others who don't have it in there?

Yup. I did it with someone in the Bordergoons group a few days ago.

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009

Catsplosion posted:

Would also like to know this.

I found this patch note from 1.02, so I assume that was fixed along with the Golden Keys

As for whether or not you can take people in to the dome with you, I don't see why you couldn't. If it's in your quest log, then your friends should be able to complete it with you (plus, I'm sure it'll be available as DLC later on).

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
So I finally got into shift and input the code, but it says it was already redeemed. I thought it was up for two hours?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Saltin posted:

Actually, I believe that this is a stress test. The point is to break the servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Witchfinder General posted:

So I finally got into shift and input the code, but it says it was already redeemed. I thought it was up for two hours?

Try checking in-game. I got the same message but the key showed up for me anyway when I loaded up my character.

• Locked thread