Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pretty sure the pass is just something you buy in the Xbox store for 2000 points. There are special cards in store, but all they are is 2000 point cards with Master Chief's head stickered on to them.

I really wish the game was available for download from day 1. Actually, has Microsoft even done multi-disc downloads? Is there a chance this never shows up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

kater posted:

Actually, has Microsoft even done multi-disc downloads? Is there a chance this never shows up?

Both LA Noire (3 discs) and Max Payne 3 (2 discs) are available via Games on Demand. No idea how it actually works, though.

edit: A Google search suggests Rockstar has modified disc one of both games to prompt you to download DLC versions of disc 2 (and 3, for LA Noire) when necessary.

Which suggests Microsoft's marketplace backend is horrible. Or maybe they just didn't want to explain to users how to switch discs in a multi-disc game without any actual discs.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 1, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

kater posted:

I really wish the game was available for download from day 1. Actually, has Microsoft even done multi-disc downloads? Is there a chance this never shows up?

Wait, Halo 4 is multi-disc? I don't remember hearing about this. Is it just Disc 1 = campaign, Disc 2 = Infinity stuff?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah there was a Eurogamer-con or whatever it's called interview last week that confirmed it. I don't have a clue how it's split up. The 2nd disc might just be an installation thing like Forza does, the multiplayer requires a full 8gb HDD installation.

I think it's great, or at least could be. I really didn't like when Reach and ODST would pause the campaign so that they could cram in a firefight match.

pseudorandom name posted:

edit: A Google search suggests Rockstar has modified disc one of both games to prompt you to download DLC versions of disc 2 (and 3, for LA Noire) when necessary.

Which suggests Microsoft's marketplace backend is horrible. Or maybe they just didn't want to explain to users how to switch discs in a multi-disc game without any actual discs.

That is exceptionally crazy. Then again, it was loving built in 2005. Can't wait for this gen to be over.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Here's the official Valhala remake trailer. It's actually more of a trailer for the Mantis mech.

You can teabag people in it.

In a mech.

You can teabag with a mech.

This almost makes up for all the trailers being full of dubstep. Almost.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Funkmaster General posted:

Here's the official Valhala remake trailer. It's actually more of a trailer for the Mantis mech.

In a mech.

That was a very enjoyable video clip!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like it's been a very dry year in Valhalla.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
It feels so good to be done after two years.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grats! :) Can't wait to see you in Halo 4 next month.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

I said come in! posted:

Grats! :) Can't wait to see you in Halo 4 next month.

Heck yes. I'm never playing this game again. LMAO

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I think I'll wait until after release to decide if I'll get the season pass. Need to see if I'm gonna be a Halo 3 grump with this game.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Heh, our testers managed to 'load' the Mantis on top of the Warthog. Works great in Ragnarok CTF when you can 'deliver' the Mantis to the opposing base quickly. God dam Halo4 is awesome.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

-A n i m 8- posted:

Heh, our testers managed to 'load' the Mantis on top of the Warthog. Works great in Ragnarok CTF when you can 'deliver' the Mantis to the opposing base quickly. God dam Halo4 is awesome.

Reminds me of people flying on the Mantis' wings in UT2004, which was a completely unexpected tactic and made VCTF mode way more hectic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Friendly Factory posted:

I think I'll wait until after release to decide if I'll get the season pass. Need to see if I'm gonna be a Halo 3 grump with this game.

Whenever I look at the numbers in Halo Reach, of people playing the DLC maps, its not enough at all to warrant wanting to get those maps. So probably going to skip the season pass myself, but its hard to say. Could be completely different for Halo 4.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Whenever I look at the numbers in Halo Reach, of people playing the DLC maps, its not enough at all to warrant wanting to get those maps. So probably going to skip the season pass myself, but its hard to say. Could be completely different for Halo 4.

It'd be more if they hadn't taken away the play list that let us play on those maps. Now it's a surprise when I actually get to play on a map that I paid for in multiplayer.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
/\/\ Also this, I wish 343 hadn't neutered the playlists in Reach so much.

In a mech.

I was hoping for some crazy new Promethean vehicle, like a hover-scooter or a laser-dirigible or even a glowing orange pogo-stick. Oh well :sigh:

After all of these blatant "No, there won't be this in the game, oh but actually there is", I'm half expecting them to announce dual wielding next week.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Because I'm a crazy person, I'm actually considering buying the season pass DLC despite getting it with the LE, because of the additional content. The scanner helmet is totally bitchin'. What I want to know is (if anyone knows anyway) if the code for the season pass included with the LE is totally standalone or if it's tied together with the other LE-exclusive content? That is, if I buy the LE AND the regular Season Pass DLC, would I then end up with all the LE content, plus the extra season pass helmets, and an extra code good for the season pass without the helmets? From there I'd be giving out (or maybe selling) the "naked" season pass code.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

It feels so good to be done after two years.

Ahh so that's what you were doing in the campaign whenever I saw you online. Grats man. I'm going to hit hero than stop. I never want to play countdown or hemorrhage ever again.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

InfinEight posted:

/\/\ Also this, I wish 343 hadn't neutered the playlists in Reach so much.

I was hoping for some crazy new Promethean vehicle, like a hover-scooter or a laser-dirigible or even a glowing orange pogo-stick. Oh well :sigh:

After all of these blatant "No, there won't be this in the game, oh but actually there is", I'm half expecting them to announce dual wielding next week.

Apparently you pull a magnum out of your rear end whenever you have the flag now, so I guess that technically counts as dual wielding. That mech is cool I guess, I hope they just keep adding ridiculous poo poo so that there's no time to notice if anything's balanced between all the explosions.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Apparently you pull a magnum out of your rear end whenever you have the flag now, so I guess that technically counts as dual wielding. That mech is cool I guess, I hope they just keep adding ridiculous poo poo so that there's no time to notice if anything's balanced between all the explosions.

The Battlefield TheoryTM

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Yo here are some cool Halo shoes you can buy. I'd buy them if they didn't say Halo on them:

http://globe-tv.shptron.com/products/productdetail/Liberty+%28Halo+Green%29/part_number=GBLIBERTY-19813/537.0.1.1.101571.71878.0.0.0?pp=12&

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In a mech.

I wasn't totally sold on the idea of having a mech in the game, until I saw it loving stomping a Warthog and a Ghost into the ground! :black101:

It does look OP as poo poo, though, I wonder what the balance is (besides each team apparently getting one). Maybe it moves too slowly to avoid rockets/grenades or something. Of course, they aren't exactly showing the other side fighting back too hard in the promo video so maybe it's fairly fragile, but it still took out all those vehicles and dudes really quickly.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
If anything I hope it is a glass cannon. Have they said if snipers will hurt vehicles like in Reach, I mean people don't ever do that but it was nice to grab one and shoot a banshee out da sky.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Well, obviously it's much taller than a tank, so it will probably be easy to snipe with the tank if they're on the same map. Plus being taller makes it a more obvious target, and it looks like it's not as fast as a ghost or warthog either, maybe not even as fast as a tank. It can change direction pretty fast though, and if that stomping action has an area affect then it'll be really annoying up close.

I think it'll be one of those vehicles that few can use right, but those that do will wreck the opposite team every time.

EDIT: Come to think of it, with all these new additions, why isn't there a 'perk' or whatever to detonate your corpse on command if you see someone teabagging you? I'd pay money for that.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 2, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I wasn't totally sold on the idea of having a mech in the game, until I saw it loving stomping a Warthog and a Ghost into the ground! :black101:

It does look OP as poo poo, though, I wonder what the balance is (besides each team apparently getting one). Maybe it moves too slowly to avoid rockets/grenades or something. Of course, they aren't exactly showing the other side fighting back too hard in the promo video so maybe it's fairly fragile, but it still took out all those vehicles and dudes really quickly.

The video is obviously very misleading in order to make the mech look cooler than it probably really is. I'm expecting the thing can be destroyed pretty easily.

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

Ask me about transforming into a semi and trucking over defenses.

I said come in! posted:

The video is obviously very misleading in order to make the mech look cooler than it probably really is. I'm expecting the thing can be destroyed pretty easily.

It has to be. Otherwise it's OP judging from the video. The vehicles it blew up didn't appear to be damaged beforehand.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If you can send a mongoose/ghost into the legs of the mech and topple it over, everything is worth it. Everything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

If you can send a mongoose/ghost into the legs of the mech and topple it over, everything is worth it. Everything.

Or shoot a tow cable out the back. :black101:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Democratic Pirate posted:

The mongoose has to be launched out of a mancannon as your passenger jumps off and sticks a grenade to the back of the vehicle. You jump off just before the mongoose crashes into the mech and explodes. Somehow a tank and a couple other guys are involved and they explode too, and just as spectacularly. Just then, your team scores the last flag capture.

That is the Halo I know and love and if all 343's bullshit somehow encourages more poo poo like that instead of *brrap brrap brrap* WINNAR it'll all be worth it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tighclops posted:

The mongoose has to be launched out of a mancannon as your passenger jumps off and sticks a grenade to the back of the vehicle. You jump off just before the mongoose crashes into the mech and explodes. Somehow a tank and a couple other guys are involved and they explode too, and just as spectacularly. Just then, your team scores the last flag capture.

That is the Halo I know and love and if all 343's bullshit somehow encourages more poo poo like that instead of *brrap brrap brrap* WINNAR it'll all be worth it.

Oh poo poo if you can send a mech pretty far off a mancannon and do that stomping thing in the air so it happens right when you hit, I will waste every game on that map trying to pull that move off.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Hey would anyone want to play some Halo 3 multi some time? I have all the dlc and want to get some br mojo back.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Tighclops posted:

That is the Halo I know and love

I love this post so much that I almost bought an xbox because of it.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHyB0y9kBQ0

It's actually not too overpowered, they just wanted to show it dominating because it was a trailer. They're not going to be like, "Here's our new vehicle, watch it get EMP'ed by a plasma pistol and then taken down with the AR. It's definitely strong, but no more over powered than a tank, and it presents a huge target for the inevitable one hit kill spartan laser.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

You can probably be shot from inside it. That would make it almost useless against a decent team, but it wouldn't be overpowered.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

While watching the video I imagined it was designed as an anti-vehicle vehicle, and that it would be taken out pretty easily by someone on foot. Looks like you can do the same thing you can do to tanks by climbing on top of it and tossing a grenade into it, without the added protection of a secondary gunner to cover your back.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I don't know if this was really well-known before or not, but the final map count for War Games is 10 (not counting the three forge maps or the promised future DLC).

So, we've got:
Adrift
Haven
Longbow
Exile
Solace
Complex
Ragnorak
Abandon

That leaves two more unannounced multiplayer maps. We've also only seen two of the three forge maps (the large outdoor one called Ravine and the indoor one used for Grifball).

Notably, we haven't seen ANY covenant-themed maps yet.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I don't know if this was really well-known before or not, but the final map count for War Games is 10 (not counting the three forge maps or the promised future DLC).

So, we've got:
Adrift
Haven
Longbow
Exile
Solace
Complex
Ragnorak
Abandon

That leaves two more unannounced multiplayer maps. We've also only seen two of the three forge maps (the large outdoor one called Ravine and the indoor one used for Grifball).

Notably, we haven't seen ANY covenant-themed maps yet.

I'd be pretty okay without any of that godawful purple color scheme.

Anyway, at this point I'm getting pretty pumped. Even if H4 turns out awful, it looks like the basic Halo formula is getting shaken up enough to inspire renewed interest in me- which I guess is paradoxical, considering this is supposed to bring back the Halo 3 "golden age" or whatever. CoD level customization paired with Halo's basic combat model is just really exciting for me, I guess.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Man, I haven't been paying attention to Halo 4 hype so I missed the whole breakdown on the Promethean weapons. I guess they were really trying to hammer home the whole "Covenant co-opted the tech as best they could," because the rifle and pistol dude was using in that Abandon walkthrough look like early versions of the carbine and the plasma pistol. The rifle looks like it performs the same, carries the same 72 reserve ammo, etc.

Someone who's watched other videos/etc, what's the light rifle do differently than say, a carbine or DMR?

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Man, I haven't been paying attention to Halo 4 hype so I missed the whole breakdown on the Promethean weapons. I guess they were really trying to hammer home the whole "Covenant co-opted the tech as best they could," because the rifle and pistol dude was using in that Abandon walkthrough look like early versions of the carbine and the plasma pistol. The rifle looks like it performs the same, carries the same 72 reserve ammo, etc.

Someone who's watched other videos/etc, what's the light rifle do differently than say, a carbine or DMR?

Light rifle is three round burst unscoped, when scoped in its single shot like DMR/Carbine.

Flood Mode looks kind of cool.
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/10/02/halo-4-flood-multiplayer-mode-walkthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think light rifle shots can ricochet as well.

• Locked thread