Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Kind of bummed George Clinton doesn't look nuts anymore...but he does clean up nice.

George Clinton by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Pukestain Pal posted:

Kind of bummed George Clinton doesn't look nuts anymore...but he does clean up nice.

great colors! must've been some fun lighting, shooting someone dressed all in black isn't all that easy usually.

here're a few recent ones I processed out using the new VSCO filters that just came out yesterday.

Key_of_Solomon_068

Key_of_Solomon_114

Key_of_Solomon_058

Key_of_Solomon_056

Key_of_Solomon_052

Key_of_Solomon_049

Key_of_Solomon_028

Key_of_Solomon_005

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
So, I've been working (for free) for an web publication mainly focusing on festivals. I kind of ended up being the main photographer for the site and have some influence on how its run.. so I really want a more updated look for it, since it all looks horribly dated.

You can check it out at https://www.festivalmagasinet.com (warning : moonlanguage)

It runs on wordpress, and I have a good bit of experience in tweaking wordpress themes, but I'm looking for a good theme to start with, something news-site-ish that will let me have a big main article with a large picture and well, a bunch more, but keeping it all a lot simpler and less messy than it is today.

Any suggestions ?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Oh man, the ATP Australian leg lineup came out tonight. I'm totally going to Melbourne to shoot it; My Bloody Valentine, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, The Drones, Swans, Beast of Bourbon, loving Einstürzende Neubauten (!!!!!) and many more. Can't wait.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sebadoh! Possibly the best concert I'd seen. Super-nice guys too.

Unfortunately I'm really rusty, haven't shot a concert at all for what seems like ages. Made a lot of newbie mistakes again. Doesn't help that I'm using a 40 year old manual focus lens. Does help that it's f/1.8. Unfortunately 50mm is like just a little too long on a 2x crop sensor.

I usually don't bother fixing white-balance on colour cast by the lights, but either LR4 is just way better at it than 3 was, or just the lighting was better balanced or something, but these cleaned up pretty effortlessly.

-----

Unfortunately I couldn't get a good shot of him, but I like this one since it kind of looks like it was taken on film back in the day...

Jason Loewenstein

Lou Barlow

Amused

OR ELSE

Can't wait for my xs100 to arrive so I can take pictures at shows more often. (My E-PL2 is rarely allowed in due to the "removable lenses" clause.)

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 21, 2012

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
After a weekend of experimenting I've finally found a way to process black and white images through Lightroom that I like; kind of looks like Ilford Delta which I've always been fond of. Still playing with contrast on a few (like the top one of Slash for example) but I'm happy with the "sheen" that I'd gotten on film that I can get close enough to with digital.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

This one is awesome. Great work.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I think you're a little heavy on the split-toning personally... maybe mellow out the color saturation a bit, it's a good look though. last two are my favorites, good work!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
This thread is dying, and it made me realise I've only shot two shows in the entirety of August; I actually saw more bands than I photographed this month, which is a first for three years. It's also made me realise I've been doing this for three years. God.

Finally got around to copying the SXSW stuff to my PC, and had a crack with my new heavy handed black and white. Not sure I'm entirely happy with it; I was using flash the entire night because it's SXSW and why the gently caress not, and it was also a white tent so everything came up super peachy. Not everything turned out crap though:

oh em gee a square crop

edit: Jesus these look really saturated on the forum background as opposed to Lightroom.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
Did another festival, and I'm pretty pleased with these ones:

OST_0819_w by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

OST_1079_w by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

OST_1508_w by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

OST_2463_w by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

Not so much the last one though, LMFAO had restrictions on cameras in the audience after the first three songs (Not that anyone cared) and the longest lens I brought was my 85mm 1.8 .

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

This rules.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

aliencowboy posted:

This rules.

Thanks dude, although all fault lies with the band (Trash Talk). Consistently entertaining band to shoot, have seen them three times. Wish they'd make their way to Australia more.

I also picked up Glen E. Friedman's Fugazi photo book the other day. Wish I had the money and resources to do what he did.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

I, Butthole posted:

Thanks dude, although all fault lies with the band (Trash Talk). Consistently entertaining band to shoot, have seen them three times. Wish they'd make their way to Australia more.

I also picked up Glen E. Friedman's Fugazi photo book the other day. Wish I had the money and resources to do what he did.

Hey man, I wanted to say how much I like your "2012 portfolio" and "sxsw12 and cmw12 in b+w" on your site. It's cool to see how you're continually evolving and improving your style. I like it.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so this was fun last night...

Flying Lotus show at Musicfest Northwest

Does anybody have any advice on how to keep your lenses from fogging up in 99% humidity dance parties? I'm shooting A-Trak tonight and after Flying Lotus' set got underway I had the damnedest time trying to get any decent shots that didn't look like I was in a fog bank.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I've found myself shooting live shows less and less. I've gotten so drat busy and some of the bullshit in the local music scenes is just getting loving annoying. Nor do I really have the energy to go stand in a small room with people 6 years younger than me and take the same drat photo over and over again. I think I need a break and some time to figure out how to modify my style.

A few recent ones below.

Sea of Words-14 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

I love jump shots

Random Holiday-25 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

And the joy of Warped Tour

Transit - 15 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Holy gently caress the hardcore style of "fight dancing" or whatever the gently caress is utterly retarded. Holy poo poo.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

I, Butthole posted:

Holy gently caress the hardcore style of "fight dancing" or whatever the gently caress is utterly retarded. Holy poo poo.

Yeah it is. And I listen to that kind of music. It's literally "hey let's throw fists in the pit"

When I go to shows when I'm not taking photos I'll throw a few but I really don't take it seriously (from where I am some people take it wicked seriously and will get offended if you're just loving around in the pit). I just like piling up man

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 9, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

Nobody has to be in the pit.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

evil_bunnY posted:

Nobody has to be in the pit.

Kinda do when the venue is a converted house

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

I, Butthole posted:

Kinda do when the venue is a converted house

I don't find this to be true and I've shot a ton of basement/house shows. Usually there is at least one line of people between the band and the pit. Often more though at the same time the pit does have a tendency to spill over into that first line but I've never had any serious gear issues aside from being pushed around and maybe my lens hood bouncing off a person or two.

That being said I've had to retreat to behind the band more than once because of the crowd

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Symphony X - Howard Theater - Washington, DC

A total of about 75 people were there, it was really sad but gently caress they didnt give a poo poo and played an amazing show.

Also, the 85 1.8 is such an amazing lens.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 11, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you're worried about the pit, you could always shoot a singer-songwriter show. Three shots and you're done, chillin' with a beer.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

If you're worried about the pit, you could always shoot a singer-songwriter show. Three shots and you're done, chillin' with a beer.

Well I did shoot Earth the next night so that was basically it.

That said, the show before that wasn't a wash; it was only eight people in a small crowd right at the front, and it was only for that act. Just pissed me off.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

KAMELOT!

Empire (Jaxx) Springfield, VA

I loving HATE YOU RED LIGHTS!!! Amazing how much of a difference it makes when theres just a LITTLE bit of white light to balance Empire's all-red spotlights.

Tommy Karevik, man crush.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
using black and white as a crutch since nineteen dickety three

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Sweet.

Kamelot has made my photo their official cover photo: https://www.facebook.com/kamelotofficial

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Flying Lotus @ MusicfestNW

MFNW12_Thur_497 by Kent, J, on Flickr

MFNW12_Thur_523 by Kent, J, on Flickr

MFNW12_Thur_555 by Kent, J, on Flickr

MFNW12_Thur_530 by Kent, J, on Flickr

MFNW12_Thur_625 by Kent, J, on Flickr

A-Trak @ MusicfestNW

MFNW12_Fri_474 by Kent, J, on Flickr

MFNW12_Fri_513 by Kent, J, on Flickr

MFNW12_Fri_530 by Kent, J, on Flickr

MFNW12_Fri_630 by Kent, J, on Flickr

MFNW12_Fri_729 by Kent, J, on Flickr

MFNW12_Fri_820 by Kent, J, on Flickr

MFNW12_Fri_872 by Kent, J, on Flickr

MFNW12_Fri_962 by Kent, J, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
It's festival season! My 7D is out of commission so I spent all day swapping between my 70-200, 50mm and 24mm primes on a single body, and had the three song rule to contend with. Surprised the Sigma 50mm performed as well as it did; this Modestep photo was taken at 1.4 while the camera was over my head as that particular stage was over 2 meters tall.

Modestep

Passion Pit

Tame Impala

The Presets

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Shot my first show in a while. Gotye.

Gotye by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

I, Butthole :hfive: Parklife shooter buddy!

The Presets

Presets Crowd

Chairlift

Passion Pit

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Missy Higgins

Missy Higgins by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

Nilson posted:

Presets Crowd

I love this one! I've been trying to get something like that, but it tends to end up pretty boring, or at least I never get the crowd to pop like that.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
It's because of the ridiculous amount of light being thrown out by the stage. You'd be hard-pressed to get a similar effect with just a on-camera flash. Maybe if the stage has some strobe lights and they all start going off, but you'll be blinded the entire time :v:

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
I figured as much, guess I should go to more shows that have stupid amounts of lights, but thats pretty rare around here.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Shot a show on Friday. Lighting was abhorrent. Had to convert to B&W. Used the Acros 100 setting in DxO FilmPack.

The front fill on this one is the AF light from someone else's camera.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
The quality of some of these shots is spectacular. I'm almost embarrassed to post these. The lighting was horrible, but I did my best. I shot the show for a friend. They're called Interstate Rebel Scum.

IRS - November 2012-961-2.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

IRS - November 2012-651.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

IRS - November 2012-771.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

IRS - November 2012-628.jpg by theokaluza, on Flickr

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 11, 2012

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
Got to test my new Tamron 17-50 2.8 this weekend shooting Satyricon. impressively bad lighting and would it have killed them to point some lights at the backdrop ?

since I usually only use my 85 1.8 and 35 1.8 , I assumed that 2.8 would be horrible, I think I was wrong :

OST_5995_w by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

OST_5787_w by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Klogdor posted:

Got to test my new Tamron 17-50 2.8 this weekend shooting Satyricon. impressively bad lighting and would it have killed them to point some lights at the backdrop ?

since I usually only use my 85 1.8 and 35 1.8 , I assumed that 2.8 would be horrible, I think I was wrong :

OST_5995_w by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

OST_5787_w by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

I actually hate it when they light up the backdrops. I think it can make the backgrounds look distracting to what you are actually trying to shoot. I think you did a fantastic job here.

As far as aperture, faster isn't always better. When I shoot a show, I usually step p to AT LEAST f/2 even if I'm shooting with a f/1.4 or f/1.2. I do this for a couple reasons. Nailing focus is very difficult at f/1.4. At f/1.4 you don't get the entire person into focus if you anywhere close to them. f/2 or f/2.8 is typically pretty good for getting the musician in focus and isolating the background a bit.

I have posted these here before, but these are at f/2.8 with a 70-200 (now my preferred concert glass after shooting with a 50 and 85 for a long time).

Missy Higgins by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Just got these developed not too long ago.

Built to Spill

Lambchop

Yo La Tengo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Not shooting as much as I used to but a few shots I like from the past few shows. I'm trying not to be too cliche with the fisheye

The Occupants-23 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Misser-23 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

(side note, I hate the drat Ottobar for lighting)

Man Overboard-24 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Though Charm City Art Space is great to shoot at