Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I never see myself gaming for more than three hours in a row, and the gamepad has all the buttons of the pro, so I see no reason to get a pro. Maybe it's bigger and less wieldy, but I'm not marathoning anything, or going for speedrunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Does the U pad have rumble?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Liku posted:

Man that thing looks really loving chintsy, is it basically just a Classic Controller unteathered?

Just don't get one.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I doubt the Pro Controller is even going to play that significant a role or be that popular until the next SSB comes out. Its main purpose is going to be local multiplayer where everyone needs conventional controls. Single-screen play feels more like an "OK sure whatever" option that developers may or may not throw in.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Does the U pad have rumble?

Yes. I didn't know it was confirmed for the Pro Controller, though.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Supercar Gautier posted:

I doubt the Pro Controller is even going to play that significant a role or be that popular until the next SSB comes out. Its main purpose is going to be local multiplayer where everyone needs conventional controls. Single-screen play feels more like an "OK sure whatever" option that developers may or may not throw in.

I dunno, doesn't most everyone get two controllers when they buy a system, or did Xbox Live do way with that? But then I had siblings when growing up so multiplayer was more of an important thing for us.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

greatn posted:

I'm disappointed there aren't digital triggers either, but why's that the breaking point? I guess if driving games are your favorite genre that kind of ruins them.

Well, its not that driving games are my favourite - its just the driving is my favourite part in sandbox gta style games, and I like to be able to have control over my throttle :)

Even in the olden days of pre need for speed porche challenge, I'd assign throttle to the left analogue stick and the steering to the right.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I can win any race just fine with a dpad and one button for go.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I play driving games on PC all the time, don't exactly have the option of analog triggers there. Does this make me a bad person or are people who complain about this just whining? This isn't a wise-crack this is a legit question.

I am not really whining - it just seems like a bizarre exclusion in this day and age. I wanted to buy a next gen console, and I like the Wii, and I liked the look of the WiiU....

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm guessing they don't use analogue buttons (if they are in fact using digital buttons) because so few Wii games utilised them, and because people seemed to hate the ones on the Classic Controller for being too "spongy" or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 1, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

I dunno, doesn't most everyone get two controllers when they buy a system, or did Xbox Live do way with that? But then I had siblings when growing up so multiplayer was more of an important thing for us.

There will be a lot of games where Wii remotes and nunchuks will suffice for that, though. Seems like the launch window games that emphasize local multiplayer (like NSMB, Rayman, and Nintendoland) can all be played with those.

There weren't many Wii games where local multiplayer really called for everyone to have a GC or Classic controller; Brawl was one of the very few. The Pro controller might get a bit more use/emphasis this time because its layout matches the Gamepad, but I think it'll still be a bit of a niche peripheral until SSB.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Friend went to a wii-u event the other day and got to try out Rayman and Mario; he asked about the whole Murphy situation as well but apparently the dude there had no idea what was going on with the single player. Bah

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Supercar Gautier posted:

There will be a lot of games where Wii remotes and nunchuks will suffice for that, though. Seems like the launch window games that emphasize local multiplayer (like NSMB, Rayman, and Nintendoland) can all be played with those.

There weren't many Wii games where local multiplayer really called for everyone to have a GC or Classic controller; Brawl was one of the very few. The Pro controller might get a bit more use/emphasis this time because its layout matches the Gamepad, but I think it'll still be a bit of a niche peripheral until SSB.

Yeah after I trade in my Wii and one controller for credit, I'll still have three wii remote pluses, three nunchuks, and two classic controllers, so I just don't see having a need for a classic controller pro anytime in the near future.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm guessing they don't use analogue buttons (if they are in fact using digital buttons) because so few Wii games utilised them, and because people seemed to hate the ones on the Classic Controller for being too "spongy" or whatever.
The Wii didn't have analogue triggers either, the ones on the classic controller were just digital.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Really? It takes an inch or so for 'em to "click", I always figured all that give was due to them being analogue.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Really? It takes an inch or so for 'em to "click", I always figured all that give was due to them being analogue.

What? No they don't. They click almost immediately.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nah.

Also, whoa, there's a draft post option now. Huh.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Liku posted:

What? No they don't. They click almost immediately.
The Classic Controller had analog shoulder buttons with a bit of travel and a click at the bottom like GC triggers. edit-someone made a nerdy video proof of it...two months ago :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTsDsw32SIA

The Classic Controller Pro made them all digital and moved them around to be like the PS controllers.

japtor fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Oct 1, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Thanks for that, I knew I wasn't imagining things.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Oh wow really? That has to be the most impressive thing about the classic controller, did any game use it though?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Have to agree with everyone else on the triggers. They're not the most essential things but it's silly to make the best analog triggers ever 12 years ago and then say "Nah gently caress it."

I hope the Direct is very soon. It's already october and I want to be 100% sure friend codes are gone and I can just add people.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So... I already put down $5 on the Wii U at Best Buy. Does anybody know if you can put down more money on a reservation at Best Buy early? I just saw that for October AMEX has a deal where if you spend $200 at Best Buy you get a $20 statement credit. I'd love to go in and put exactly $200 down on my Amex since it's impossible to buy it in October anyway.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I'm fairly certain no game ever used the Classic Controller's analogue triggers, which explains why some people wouldn't even believe it's true. I think it was part of Nintendo's hopes that third parties that didn't want to use motion controls would use the classic controller for their games, since analog triggers became a thing this generation.

There's also that weird slot on the back of the controller that I assume you attached some kind of hunk of plastic to that would hold the Wiimote, effectively adding rumble to the controller so that the Classic Controller was basically on-par with the 360 and PS3 controllers in every aspect aside from the lack of clickable sticks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I'm fairly certain no game ever used the Classic Controller's analogue triggers, which explains why some people wouldn't even believe it's true. I think it was part of Nintendo's hopes that third parties that didn't want to use motion controls would use the classic controller for their games, since analog triggers became a thing this generation.

There's also that weird slot on the back of the controller that I assume you attached some kind of hunk of plastic to that would hold the Wiimote, effectively adding rumble to the controller so that the Classic Controller was basically on-par with the 360 and PS3 controllers in every aspect aside from the lack of clickable sticks.

On mine the sticks can click, it just isn't actually hooked to anything. It's like they set them a millimeter too high, you can depress them and you hear it click, but there's no actual input there. Like they planned on having buttons under there but changed their mind last minute.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

japtor posted:

The Classic Controller had analog shoulder buttons with a bit of travel and a click at the bottom like GC triggers. edit-someone made a nerdy video proof of it...two months ago :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTsDsw32SIA

The Classic Controller Pro made them all digital and moved them around to be like the PS controllers.

I love the one comment on that video:

quote:

Sorry for making you do this.

I just want to know if the gamepad will have a slot for the Expansion Pak so I can get more RAM in this thing and bump up the resolution.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You just tape some ram with an nfc chip onto the nfc sensor. It like, doubles the pixels.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TechnoSyndrome posted:

. since analog triggers became a thing this generation.

They've been around longer than just this generation.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

big mean giraffe posted:

They've been around longer than just this generation.

Indeed...

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Oh Dreamcast controller :allears: Could you have been designed any worse?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Dreamcast controller was so gimmicky. Who the hell needs a second screen in their controller? How am I, a hardcore gamer, supposed to keep track of all that?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Almost Smart posted:

Oh Dreamcast controller :allears: Could you have been designed any worse?

Yes...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Is...there an eyeball staring at me in that controller?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

The Saturn analog pad is no prize pig either, but at least it's got the cord coming out of the right end.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

greatn posted:

Is...there an eyeball staring at me in that controller?

All I can say is :pwn:

edit:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I finally caved and decided to preorder, surprisingly game stop is not taking deposits in my area, they just have a waiting list. Heads up for anyone who wants to preorder but doesnt want to put down cash.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I finally caved and decided to preorder, surprisingly game stop is not taking deposits in my area, they just have a waiting list. Heads up for anyone who wants to preorder but doesnt want to put down cash.

Gamestops have been sold out since the Nintendo direct announcing the price. You're a bit late to the party.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Duckman2008 posted:

They've been sold out since the monday after prices were announced, it's no surprise.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

This is the grandfather of the Xbox controller, specifically the Duke(GOAT), and you will show some respect.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

This is the grandfather of the Xbox controller, specifically the Duke(GOAT), and you will show some respect.

It's loving horrifying, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Honestly wasn't THAT bad. The d-pad/analog stick switch was probably the single worst thing about it.

edit: It seems like I might have crazy hands though because I think the Gamecube controller is practically unusable.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 2, 2012

• Locked thread