Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

I think the problem with Darkman is how they end it with him deciding to be a superhero and leave out the part where he dies from an infection a week later. Even though he was putting on fake skin he spent way too long without it.

I think you might have missed the part where nothing about that movie was serious. People seem to misconstrue Sam Raimi camp a lot around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudsoda
Sep 29, 2012
Has anyone mentioned Buckaroo Banzai yet? If not:

Somehow, the original poster has a subtlety to it that the DVD cover lacks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would have bet money that is Jim Carrey or Johnny Depp before I'd ever guess Lithgow.

cloudsoda
Sep 29, 2012

oldpainless posted:

I would have bet money that is Jim Carrey or Johnny Depp before I'd ever guess Lithgow.

I like that Jeff Goldblum plays a scientist in the movie. A scientist. In a cowboy outfit.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I would've thought Walken myself.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Buckaroo Bonzai is truly an amazing film :allears:

Robocop as a cowboy rockstar scientist action hero!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oldpainless posted:

You mean on the theatrical poster? That's Peter Weller, isn't it?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Jedit posted:

You mean on the theatrical poster? That's Peter Weller, isn't it?

On the DVD cover. John Lithgow. Crazy dude popping out of nowhere on the right side.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

On the DVD cover. John Lithgow. Crazy dude popping out of nowhere on the right side.

Ah. I must admit, I'd assumed that was Christopher Lloyd.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess I'm the only person who sees John Lithgow and no-one else. The dude's pretty distinctive, even with all the make-up.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Tewratomeh posted:

I guess I'm the only person who sees John Lithgow and no-one else. The dude's pretty distinctive, even with all the make-up.

Agreed, but I think the hair threw people off a bit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I too could only see Lithgow in it until I someone mentioned Walken and I realized that he looks a lot like the Hessian from Sleepy Hollow.

It's still much more Lithgow, though.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I can see equal parts Walken, Lithgow, Depp and Carey.

The only one I don't really see is Llyod.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

For the longest time, I thought this was Paul Reiser.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I could see Walken

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Sockser posted:

Buckaroo Bonzai is truly an amazing film :allears:

Robocop as a cowboy rockstar scientist action hero!

Yesssss. It's one of my favorite movies ever.
"What's that watermelon doing there?"
"I'll explain later."
*is never explained*
/the film

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Spatula City posted:

Yesssss. It's one of my favorite movies ever.
"What's that watermelon doing there?"
"I'll explain later."
*is never explained*
/the film

Clancy Brown unexplained coming back to life in the ending walk is another awesome moment. It's such a great bit that Wes Anderson did an homage to it in his ending to The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Buckaroo Banzai also has one of the best end credits in cinema.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqJ3iGBdOo&t=18s

Man, I wish this had become a hit. I'd love more Buckaroo.

Also, I love that Google auto-finishes your input when you type in 'Buckaroo Banzai' by adding 'watermelon' at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpVXpCNFOSg

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 2, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Has anyone seen Buckaroo Banzai recently and can say if it holds up? I've never seen it but have been thinking about it.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 2, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mister Chief posted:

Has anyone seen Buckaroo Banzai recently and can say if it holds up? I've never seen it but have been thinking about.

It's corny, quirky, not incredibly well made and rather rough around the edges.

But it's also incredibly charming. I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago and I still really enjoyed it. More so on repeat viewings. But don't expect a masterpiece.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Mister Chief posted:

Has anyone seen Buckaroo Banzai recently and can say if it holds up? I've never seen it but have been thinking about.

I watched it for the first time the other day based on comments in this thread. Basically I can entirely endorse what Disappointed Owl just said.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I guess I'll have to share my disgust when I watch it and it's a horrible disappointment then!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

A first viewing usually won't suffice. Move is confusing as hell, but it totally holds up.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

:siren: SPOILER ALERT if you want to know what the watermelon means:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJX30qy3Euk

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I still wish they would have made the sequel. It looked like they had so much fun making the first one.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dangerous Person posted:

I still wish they would have made the sequel. It looked like they had so much fun making the first one.

I mean, 'The World Crime League'. If that doesn't sound baller as hell, I don't even know anymore.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Wasn't Big Trouble In Little China written as a Buckaroo Banzai movie? I know WD Richter wrote it.

EDIT: Wow I am really mis-informed on Big Trouble In Little China, wikipedia tells me.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 2, 2012

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Wasn't Big Trouble In Little China written as a Buckaroo Banzai movie? I know WD Richter wrote it.

EDIT: Wow I am really mis-informed on Big Trouble In Little China, wikipedia tells me.

Well you're right in that IMDB trivia used to say it was, which caused me to believe it for years too!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I believe the first draft of Big Trouble In Little China was written by W.D. Richter (Banzai's director), but he had it set in the old west and Jack Burton was looking for his stolen horse. Both the script and tone of the film were changed when John Carpenter was hired to direct.

Don't bother listening to the Buckaroo Banzai commentary, I found it fairly painful. They pretend Buckaroo Banzai & the institute actually exist and that they actually made a docudrama about real life events.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Also, :thumbsup:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Here I am running into some sort of final epic battle, and boy am I bored!!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That can't possibly be real.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Hahah, that rules. They're full-on declaring that it's a superhero movie. Avengers assemble! I love Twilight so much.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The guy back and to the left looks so loving bored it's amazing.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 2, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That sure is a lot of people partaking in such an epic battle :haw:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Why is Kristen Stewart wearing equestrian pants?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wendell posted:

Here I am running into some sort of final epic battle, and boy am I bored!!

You expect anyone in that movie to have a convincing facial expression - or in the case of Kristen Stewart, any expression at all?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

Why is Kristen Stewart wearing equestrian pants?

She might ride Taylor Lautner when/if he turns into a werewolf. Hell, I'm surprised that wasn't one of the marketing angles: Taylor Lautner turning into a wolf as his shirt rips and shows off his glistening abs.

"SADDLE UP, LADIES!"
"SAVE A HORSE - RIDE A WEREWOLF!"

Cruxxed Up
Mar 30, 2011

Now you've done it.

I burst out laughing when I saw this. The blank expressions, the dead eyes...and I know it's shadows at the bottom of the poster, but I stared at it for about two minutes, wondering why the hell they were running into the water with such intensity. It's the entire horrible franchise in a single image. :allears:

And bored guy there on the far left is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Amazing. Absolutely amazing.