Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
You can numerically transform things in photoshop. It's usually at the top when you initiate free transform. Using that, you can record an action to duplicate and rotate and then just run it until you are satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm trying to teach myself how to do hand lettering / calligraphy in Photoshop, using my tablet. Has anyone found any good resources on this? I've just been messing around with different settings, but I can't get it quite right.

Ideally I'd be able to do something like this: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/charlesborges/sarah-script/

I realize I could just buy the font, but I'm not looking to do exactly that... just that kind of style, if that makes sense.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

triplexpac posted:

I'm trying to teach myself how to do hand lettering / calligraphy in Photoshop, using my tablet. Has anyone found any good resources on this? I've just been messing around with different settings, but I can't get it quite right.

Ideally I'd be able to do something like this: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/charlesborges/sarah-script/

I realize I could just buy the font, but I'm not looking to do exactly that... just that kind of style, if that makes sense.
Sweet Jesus, it's extremely unlikely that you will be able to do that in Photoshop, without pulling out your hair. Precise inking is a bitch in PS. With a regular calligraphy pen, you rotate the barrel to get the angle you want. Unless you have a first-generation Wacom 6D art pen, you can't do this in PS.

The typeface example you linked to is also based on brush script, which is even more challenging than nib pen calligraphy, and even less likely to work in PS because the software lacks line and pressure stabilization features. A vector-based app like Illustrator might let you.

You could use Photoshop paths and stroke them with differently-angled brush tips, but seriously this is one of the many things which is infinitely easier to do with real pen/brush and ink. You will learn to do it much faster if you just get a calligraphy book out of the library.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Haha fair enough! I had a feeling that might be the case. Thanks.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm not sure if this or SH/SC is the right place to ask this, but I'll go ahead. I'm trying to draft up a scheduling design document to illustrate to a manager how new employee shift schedules will work for the year. I have the format roughly drafted out in an excel spreadsheet, but I'd like to put it in a nice chart format.

Can anyone suggest a program that is relatively easy to work with, and capable of making nice visual charts?

Thanks

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

triplexpac posted:

Haha fair enough! I had a feeling that might be the case. Thanks.

If you're really set on using a tablet to draw a brush script, try Livebrush (the full version's only $10, which is insane value), then export the paths to Illustrator. Otherwise build brushes in Illustrator. Don't use PS for lettering, ever ever ever.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
That's a pretty cool little program, thanks for that

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure if this or SH/SC is the right place to ask this, but I'll go ahead. I'm trying to draft up a scheduling design document to illustrate to a manager how new employee shift schedules will work for the year. I have the format roughly drafted out in an excel spreadsheet, but I'd like to put it in a nice chart format.

Can anyone suggest a program that is relatively easy to work with, and capable of making nice visual charts?

Thanks

Excel or Illustrator if you're feeling fancy. Maybe Chartwell?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Does anyone have any experience with feather painting? I have some goose feathers I'd like to try painting on, but assume that just painting straight on to them with acrylic isn't the best idea. Mostly I'm wondering about:

-What would be an ideal way of cleaning feathers before painting without damaging them?
-Should I put something on the feather underneath the paint beforehand, to hold the feather together or as a base for painting?
-Should I use something on the finished painting as a fixative (for paint and/or to hold the feather together) or to help preserve it?

I get a lot of mixed results just searching through sites via google, so if anyone has any personal experience and could advise that would be great.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

pipes! posted:

Excel or Illustrator if you're feeling fancy. Maybe Chartwell?

Once in awhile reading through here I stumble upon something really helpful, I got Chartwell last week and it literally blows my mind how easy it is to use, and how good it makes things look.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Does anybody have any idea how to remove jpeg artifacts from a two or three-solidly-colored image? This is the image in question:

I'm trying make it smooth and have no artifacts or noise but after playing around with the various channels and filters I am at a loss. Is there a trick to sprucing stuff like this up that I'm completely missing? :ohdear:

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
That's your source image?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Unfortunately yes.

big beefy chedder
Jul 16, 2004

Xovaan posted:

Unfortunately yes.

The source image pretty low res, so you're going to damage some of the linework using pretty much any sort of artifact removal filter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is where interns come in, trace the whole thing to recreate it.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Has anyone here used those Gunnar "crystalline" glasses? I've heard good things about the yellow tinted ones, but if the clear ones work just as well, that would be very useful for me.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
We're writing up slips to give out to employees on their misconduct. Say for example they slip up and we need to issue them this slip of paper. However, we are having trouble finding good words. What's a good office-y synonym for;

Issue: This is the reason why we are punishing you, dummy

Conclusion: This is what we are going to do to your sorry rear end to punish you.

So please help me out, what are good office friendly words for Issue and Conclusion.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

The Worst Muslim posted:

We're writing up slips to give out to employees on their misconduct. Say for example they slip up and we need to issue them this slip of paper. However, we are having trouble finding good words. What's a good office-y synonym for;

Conclusion: This is what we are going to do to your sorry rear end to punish you.

So please help me out, what are good office friendly words for Issue and Conclusion.

Here, check this out I have the perfect link for you, http://bit.ly/QBhcFo

Here's another if that doesnt work... http://bit.ly/QBhnk0

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
^^ Or do what this guy did.

The Worst Muslim posted:

"Area for Improvement"

"Proposed Solution" or "Resolution"

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Huntersoninski posted:

"Area for Improvement"

"Proposed Solution" or "Resolution"

Thanks so much! :)

Beat. posted:

Here, check this out I have the perfect link for you, http://bit.ly/QBhcFo

Here's another if that doesnt work... http://bit.ly/QBhnk0

Wow, you're really rude.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

The Worst Muslim posted:

Wow, you're really rude.

Something Awful dot com.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hey there, guys. I'm wondering if anybody knows how to cut 100-200 less than 1 in leaves in a way that does not leave me a broken person at the end?

I'm trying to make an artificial bonsai tree for my self, since I love the way that they look, but I don't think I'd care much for all the maintenance that goes into growing one. The leaves that I'm going for are Japanese Maple leaves, and they're pretty tricky looking for a small scale.

I'm wondering if there's anyway I can make a custom paper punch, or some technique that can help make this easier.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

EagerSleeper posted:

Hey there, guys. I'm wondering if anybody knows how to cut 100-200 less than 1 in leaves in a way that does not leave me a broken person at the end?

I'm trying to make an artificial bonsai tree for my self, since I love the way that they look, but I don't think I'd care much for all the maintenance that goes into growing one. The leaves that I'm going for are Japanese Maple leaves, and they're pretty tricky looking for a small scale.

I'm wondering if there's anyway I can make a custom paper punch, or some technique that can help make this easier.
:v: LEAF PUNCHES! :woop:

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009
I am considering beginning an erotic comic project in which I collaborate with an individual to tell his true story. In such a collaboration, what is the normal procedure involving rights to the finished product, and possible profits from its sale?

Edit: just to clarify, I'd be drawing the thing, he would just be giving direction to keep it in line with reality.

Another issue is that the story necessarily involves some illegal activity. Is this a problem for distribution as long as the persons involved remain anonymous?

Commutator fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 29, 2012

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Thank you for suggesting leaf punches! That website had what I needed but too large, so I eventually found this website if anybody needs it: http://hankodesigns.com/index.htm They had the same brand but in the small size that I need. :)

Has a bunch of Japanese inspired arts and crafts supplies if anyone is doing a project also!

Soapy Joe
Apr 4, 2008

I need some advice on the following grammar conundrum. The sentence is: "There was two feet of space between the drywall of the garage and the galvanized steel chamber."

Should that be "there were two feet of space..."? There is only one total amount of space, which leads me to believe that it should be "was" since "was" applies to singular things. But there's two feet of it which is plural and makes me think that maybe it should be "were". Does the was/were in this case refer to the object (space) or the quantity (two feet)?

I'm leaning towards were, but I would like a second opinion. Were sounds better but I think was might be technically correct.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

To me "was" sounds wrong so I would go with "were". English is my second language though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 30, 2012

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Soapy Joe posted:

I need some advice on the following grammar conundrum. The sentence is: "There was two feet of space between the drywall of the garage and the galvanized steel chamber."

Should that be "there were two feet of space..."? There is only one total amount of space, which leads me to believe that it should be "was" since "was" applies to singular things. But there's two feet of it which is plural and makes me think that maybe it should be "were". Does the was/were in this case refer to the object (space) or the quantity (two feet)?

I'm leaning towards were, but I would like a second opinion. Were sounds better but I think was might be technically correct.

There were two feet of space (feet is the noun and it is plural, "of space" operates as an adjective modifying the noun feet, not as a noun itself. Verb is based on the noun, so it is plural.)

There was a two-foot space (space is the noun and two-foot is an adjective modifying it. Verb is based on the noun, so it is singular).

Soapy Joe
Apr 4, 2008

Thanks, I think I'll go with were. :)

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

There were two feet of space (feet is the noun and it is plural, "of space" operates as an adjective modifying the noun feet, not as a noun itself. Verb is based on the noun, so it is plural.)

Wouldn't space still be the noun here, with "two feet" being the modifier? Can a measurement even be a noun?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Is there a way in GIMP2 where I can see a resized version of the zoomed in image I am working on without having to zoom in and out and in and out and in and out a billion times?

I do pixel avatars for Furcadia (yes ha ha whatever but it makes me money) and the program that comes with Furcadia allows me to see the image in what would be its original size in game, so it's easy to see if I've made a mistake in the coloring.

The only problem with the editing program from Furcadia is that it has a very, very limited color palette so I've been trying to color them in GIMP. It's very time consuming having to zoom in and out every couple of seconds to see how the coloring is coming along.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

silversiren posted:

Is there a way in GIMP2 where I can see a resized version of the zoomed in image I am working on without having to zoom in and out and in and out and in and out a billion times?

I do pixel avatars for Furcadia (yes ha ha whatever but it makes me money) and the program that comes with Furcadia allows me to see the image in what would be its original size in game, so it's easy to see if I've made a mistake in the coloring.

The only problem with the editing program from Furcadia is that it has a very, very limited color palette so I've been trying to color them in GIMP. It's very time consuming having to zoom in and out every couple of seconds to see how the coloring is coming along.

I've never used gimp, but in photoshop It's pretty easy to do it like so, and since GIMP is a freeware nockoff of photoshop there's probably a similar way to do it.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Perhaps you can use some of that sweet, sweet Furcadia cash to buy a copy of legit image editing software.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

silversiren posted:

Sounds like you could use GraphicsGale. It allows you to see changes to the 100% size image in real time as you edit a zoomed-in portion. The only difference between freeware and shareware versions is the number of formats supported. For simple PNG the free version is fine.

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

I'm trying to get a small piece of customised jewelry made out of fired clay. I'm struggling to find someone who could do this - does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should be searching? (Preferably in the UK)

nas1234567890
Sep 18, 2011
I've got a question about resolution in Adobe Photoshop CS5. I recently realized that one of the pieces I'm working on had a tiny resolution of 72, when I prefer to work with a resolution of 180. I've fixed the resolution and sharpened up the part that I had mostly finished, but I'm unsure if it's easily noticeable that I changed the resolution. I don't feel comfortable posting it at the stage its in right now because I am nowhere near halfway done with it and doesn't look like much of anything. I'm just wondering if it's like a common thing that you can tell someone changed the resolution at one point even if they sharpened the blurry parts (not the sharpen tool or filter mind you, I mean actually sharpening it by painting over it). This also brings up the question, is there a simple way of fixing small resolution? Do you just paint over it like I did? Is there a better way to do it than that? Or is that just the wrong thing to do and you have to completely redo the picture? I just don't want it to look super amateur is all.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

nas1234567890 posted:

I've got a question about resolution in Adobe Photoshop CS5. I recently realized that one of the pieces I'm working on had a tiny resolution of 72, when I prefer to work with a resolution of 180. I've fixed the resolution and sharpened up the part that I had mostly finished, but I'm unsure if it's easily noticeable that I changed the resolution. I don't feel comfortable posting it at the stage its in right now because I am nowhere near halfway done with it and doesn't look like much of anything. I'm just wondering if it's like a common thing that you can tell someone changed the resolution at one point even if they sharpened the blurry parts (not the sharpen tool or filter mind you, I mean actually sharpening it by painting over it). This also brings up the question, is there a simple way of fixing small resolution? Do you just paint over it like I did? Is there a better way to do it than that? Or is that just the wrong thing to do and you have to completely redo the picture? I just don't want it to look super amateur is all.

People up-res and paintover all the time. It can be a really good system for going from thumbnails to rough sketch to final painting. If you don't post your image we won't have any way of knowing whether there's any huge giveaway.

nas1234567890
Sep 18, 2011

neonnoodle posted:

People up-res and paintover all the time. It can be a really good system for going from thumbnails to rough sketch to final painting. If you don't post your image we won't have any way of knowing whether there's any huge giveaway.

I edited it a bit more and now I feel like nobody would be able to tell anyway, and with this reply I feel 100% okay with changing the resolution. Thanks neonoodle. :)

Albright
Jan 10, 2008
Question:

Buying a "standard license" stock photo from one of the typical stock photo websites like istockphoto.com or veer.com, if I use this photo in a printed magazine article layout, does this qualify as an editorial use, and thus require the credit/copyright line?

For example, a magazine article on how to bake a cookie. I buy a $10 stock photo of a cookie to make the article look nice. The standard license at all of these microstock sites says I need to give the credit line whenever these images are used in an "editorial" manner. The magazine does have ads on some articles, and of course I will make a profit from the magazine via ad sales, but the articles themselves are not directly selling anything.

I am slightly confused if "editorial" just means ONLY things like current events and news stories that you would see in a newspaper, or if this would apply to any typical magazine how-to or tip article?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

nas1234567890 posted:

I've got a question about resolution in Adobe Photoshop CS5. I recently realized that one of the pieces I'm working on had a tiny resolution of 72, when I prefer to work with a resolution of 180.

Just curious, but why 180? Generally print resolution is best at 300, so why not work at that? Does it slow down your file to work at high-rez?

In regards to the magazine stock image thing, I generally only credit Rights Managed photos, cheapo royalty free ones I don't bother. You could check with the site directly though and see what they say.